Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

They're right about the government part though.

yeah true, but judging by the rest of their responses it's clearly not because they have a better grasp of climate change responses than the average politician

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

WaPo published a seriously good article yesterday.

Countries’ climate pledges built on flawed data, Post investigation finds

There's a lot more in the article, but the gist of it is that it turns out dozens of countries have been grossly under-reporting their emission numbers, like with Australia removing the carbon dioxide emissions from their wildfires from the reports (lol, lmao), Malaysia claiming that their magic trees absorb four times as much carbon dioxide as normal, and China not having reported at all since 2014.

lol

even if we hit the paris targets we'd absolutely not be hitting the paris targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Of course a country of nearly 1.1 billion where 40% are rurally located is going to have lower per capita emissions, they probably don't have cars. They're probably not moving very far from where they live.

so you're saying China is doing more to combat climate change than anywhere else in the world

also lol at "probably." just tacitly admitting you're pulling everything out of your rear end in a top hat

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

"  U.S. supermarkets lose an average of 25 percent of their fluorinated refrigerants each year."

What the everloving gently caress. Killing the environment when it would be cheaper not to.

Cheaper over the long run. Not cheaper to fix the problem right now, because that costs you money, and it'll take some amount of time to get that money back.

Investing in the future is for losers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

so you're saying China is doing more to combat climate change than anywhere else in the world

also lol at "probably." just tacitly admitting you're pulling everything out of your rear end in a top hat

"Prosperity and comfort for me but not for thee" isn't "combatting climate change," it's keeping 560m people permanently stuck in poverty so the remaining 600m+ can poo poo on the environment as much as they like in their personal lives and employment while making bullshit statements people parrot like "you know, China pollutes less per capita than the West."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Prosperity and comfort for me but not for thee" isn't "combatting climate change," it's keeping 560m people permanently stuck in poverty so the remaining 600m+ can poo poo on the environment as much as they like in their personal lives and employment while making bullshit statements people parrot like "you know, China pollutes less per capita than the West."

If "not having a car" and "not moving very far from where they live" is "poverty" to you I have some really bad news about the future of the human race my man

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

WaPo published a seriously good article yesterday.

Countries’ climate pledges built on flawed data, Post investigation finds

There's a lot more in the article, but the gist of it is that it turns out dozens of countries have been grossly under-reporting their emission numbers, like with Australia removing the carbon dioxide emissions from their wildfires from the reports (lol, lmao), Malaysia claiming that their magic trees absorb four times as much carbon dioxide as normal, and China not having reported at all since 2014.

So not only do we emit at least 25% more carbon than we report we aren't even tracking some greenhouse emissions among the non-carbon gases we also under report.

Next thing you'll tell me is there are a bunch of natural feedback loops outside of all of this that makes the already incorrect fixation on our own pollution lies doubly worthless.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't be ridiculous, that would be alarmist.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If "not having a car" and "not moving very far from where they live" is "poverty" to you I have some really bad news about the future of the human race my man

"We're all speeding towards the same cliff, but the people in the back of the bus are luckier because they'll realize they're dead a half second after the people in the front" is not a rebuttal.

If you're defending a country that denies almost half their population the basic luxuries the other half enjoys as something idyllic and preparatory for "the world to come," maybe check your own rear end - for your head.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Poorly educated Americans contribute more carbon per capita because our shittiest education systems still make people *just* smart enough to work a cash register and make french fries, and access to cars (or coal-rolling trucks) and other means of carbon-spewing transportation is way easier here.

The reason that Chinese people don’t own as many cars per capita or fry as many fries at McDonald’s is not because their local school sucks too much to know how to drive a car or operate a fryer or count money.

You’re talking about like 9 different factors to try to defend the very bad claim that Chinese people are too poorly educated to burn carbon as much as Americans.

Whatever you’re doing, it makes no sense.

here’s a better line that doesn’t make you sound like a sinophobe:

China uses less carbon per capita because they have not elevated their rural classes and poor citizens enough to afford the trappings that America has advertised as the middle class or wealthy nation lower class standard. While China has worked and still works to pull an immense number of people out of destitution, which is very good for those people in the short term, pursuing anything resembling the unconscionable standards of the US is long-term untenable in the macro world sense. China’s future energy plans are better than a lot of others, but insufficient, as is the case of the world at large. This is a better way to think about how China’s lower per capita number now is not as much the result of China deliberately preserving the environment, it is the fact of not having been as rich as other nations like the US. Unfortunately, the US has deliberately advertised unsustainable living to anyone and everyone, and the world’s population has noticed how good it looks.

Still, reducing carbon footprint overall is more important than looking at per capita numbers anyway. If one nation has a per capita carbon footprint of 4 tons and makes exclusively life essentials in a harsh environment, that’s probably(?) a better story than a nation with a per capita carbon footprint of 3.9 that has half its economy dedicated to mining for materials to make stylish paperweights.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Oh hey, now I'm a sinophobe for, what, making the case that 560 million people should be able to have better lives if they chose to?

Sure.

*clears his throat* I am not a sinophobe. I wish nothing but the best for the Chinese people because they're as human as I am. I am critical of the Chinese Communist Party and how it levies its authority abroad and, yes, internally as well, because I think people should be able to at least TRY to improve their lot in life.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I called you a sinophobe because you said the reason Chinese rural populations don’t own cars, work cash registers, and make fries is that they’re not smart enough.

I hope that clarifies. Those are your words.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh hey, now I'm a sinophobe for, what, making the case that 560 million people should be able to have better lives if they chose to?

:jerkbag:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I am critical of the Chinese Communist Party and how it levies its authority abroad

lmfao

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

love to make the case in the Biosphere Collapse thread that China is bad because many of its citizens cannot consume as conspicuously as Westerners

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

love to make the case in the Biosphere Collapse thread that China is bad because many of its citizens cannot consume as conspicuously as Westerners

also they're fuckin dumb!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

a better life is possible: one where you don't own a car and have no reason to go very far from your home

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Little off topic but I find it strange how "CCP" has become a shibboleth. If you're anti-CPC you say "Chinese Communist Party", whereas if you're pro you say "Communist Party of China." How did this come to be?

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Because of this thread I no longer throw cigarette butts into storm drains. Now its into the garbage or at least into one of those holes in a signpost.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

oh god what are all the Xi worshippers going to say now

I hate to tell you this, but the PRC is going to be the leading economic and energy power during the 21st century decline.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
Related to emissions talk and dick measuring

https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1457647344292352009

tldr; shut the gently caress up, America. Lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

President Xi, my country's cars yearn to be taken away

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Hubbert posted:

I hate to tell you this, but the PRC is going to be the leading economic and energy power during the 21st century decline.

Unlikely, they have no domestic oil and gas reserves and are disproportionately dependent on imports of such for both agricultural and energy purposes. Add to that how the bulk of their domestic agricultural land has been destroyed since the turn of the century - resulting in a reliance on imported grain and meat products, and you have an incredibly unstable global power.

While the rest of the world slides out into fascism and collapse with a whimper, China is likely to implode in a very short span of time once the external inputs they rely on are no longer available.

Given the Canadian prairies are now experiencing a drought which exceeds the dust bowl, with still no snow on the ground to begin recharging soil moisture for next spring, that could happen faster than expected.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lost Time posted:

tldr; shut the gently caress up, America. Lol

Those poor Americans only emit less because they’re too stupid to make it in the big city as a stock broker

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
china sucks, so what

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rime posted:

Unlikely, they have no domestic oil and gas reserves and are disproportionately dependent on imports of such for both agricultural and energy purposes. Add to that how the bulk of their domestic agricultural land has been destroyed since the turn of the century - resulting in a reliance on imported grain and meat products, and you have an incredibly unstable global power.

While the rest of the world slides out into fascism and collapse with a whimper, China is likely to implode in a very short span of time once the external inputs they rely on are no longer available.

Given the Canadian prairies are now experiencing a drought which exceeds the dust bowl, with still no snow on the ground to begin recharging soil moisture for next spring, that could happen faster than expected.

how about we come back to this post in 10 years and see how i've done

i'm happy with my track record so far

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Russian troll farm posted:

Little off topic but I find it strange how "CCP" has become a shibboleth. If you're anti-CPC you say "Chinese Communist Party", whereas if you're pro you say "Communist Party of China." How did this come to be?

saying the former lets you emphasize "Chinese"

"Communist" doesn't have quite the scare power it does nowadays as it did prior to the Soviet Union collapse

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

how about we come back to this post in 10 years and see how i've done

i'm happy with my track record so far

https://longbets.org/

go go

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol that’s run by the bezos kooks, the Long Now, who are trying to recreate extinct species https://reviverestore.org/

they also built a multimillion dollar clock in a mountain in the desert.

(also the promoted bet is by an Epstein associate lol)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
oh jeez

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seriously. Is there some kind of website I don't know about where you get paid for stanning China and posting proof? https://www.imwillingtoignorethatchinaisatitsheartjustanotherpredatorycapitalistcountry.com?

It's a flailing desperation/depressed irony combo, China is the only country in the world that on casual inspection looks like they might have a plan for loving anything or a central government that can govern. There is nothing else out there for people to pin hopes or praise on.

Your subsequent takes were just dumb as poo poo but I think this one was kind of an interesting question.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

If we all just lie flat and live like Diogenes, then climate change will be solved.

https://twitter.com/johnpmerrick/status/1457783323611205635?t=or30HYwEs_g5aST2wNKKwA&s=19

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

Few willing to change lifestyle to save the planet, climate survey finds

the measures that would have actually helped 50 years ago are all pretty loving low on there and (as usual) nobody even mentioned having fewer children.

lol. lmao.
a homeless person in the united states has an unsustainable 'carbon footprint'

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

All I'm saying is that it would be bad rear end if those Chinese speedy missiles turned a us carrier group into a nuclear powered artificial reef

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

comedyblissoption posted:

a homeless person in the united stateson earth has an unsustainable 'carbon footprint'

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
holy poo poo that spread lol

how much would it help if the richest 1% of the world population magically disappeared tomorrow?

e: I answered my own question, it wouldn't help at all because their respective underlings would immediately take over their positions and nothing would fundamentally change

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Garden Cities of To-Morrow - Ebenezer Howard 1902

Vertical Farm Diversification - D. Howard Doane 1950

The Heart of our Cities - Victor Gruen 1964

Human Identity in the Urban Environment - Bell and Tyrwhitt 1972

Centers for the Urban Environment - Victor Gruen 1973

Gruen ended up mostly being known for designing shopping malls but had a good understanding of how to make buildings and public spaces that people feel comfortable in, the need for cities to accommodate a growing population, and the costs of our growth on the earth. Here's the text of the first chapter of "Centers for the Urban Environment."

another good reading list, thanks

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hubbert posted:

edit: i hate when effort posts lost to snipes

Here's my list:

1. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America - significant emphasis on how just how "systemic" the problem was, focus is on local land law and the biases of elected officials and their public servants. fantastic footnotes

-

2. Rationality and Power: Democracy in Practice - this one is good if you want to see the real politics—and real "rationality"—of policy-making, administration, and planning in a case study (the City of Aalborg)

-

3. The Zoning Game - great behind-the-counter analysis of decision making on zoning and land development, especially as it relates to case law

-

BONUS: The Art of Classic Planning - this one isn't really related to government, but this is a high end book that I very much desperately want to read (its like $100+ RIP me)

this thread has been killing it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

to be fair, this is also applicable very strongly to europe. it's largely a continent entirely dependent on massive imports to sustain itself completely. just a place of almost pure imports with some small exceptions here and there. throw-on some massive heatwaves and well, there goes the rest of it. UK is a very good and slightly more extreme microcosm but it's applicable to the rest. just continent of consuming.

america and canada sucks poo poo but at least they do have the water, land, and domestic energy, (and also military power) to fuel itself for some time. although even that is also rapidly shrinking and threatened.

there's also a reason china is going heavy into massive nuclear and also 'renewable' (lol) energy lately; and it's not primarily for climate-change reasons. can they do it fast enough? maybe, maybe not. but if they can, then at least that could be diverted towards more integrated moisture-controlled farmhousing, ammonia production from nuclear, and regional leverage for resources.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homocow posted:

holy poo poo that spread lol

how much would it help if the richest 1% of the world population magically disappeared tomorrow?

e: I answered my own question, it wouldn't help at all because their respective underlings would immediately take over their positions and nothing would fundamentally change

thank you president Biden!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lost Time posted:

tldr; shut the gently caress up, America ‘the west’. Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

If we all just lie flat and live like Diogenes, then climate change will be solved.

https://twitter.com/johnpmerrick/status/1457783323611205635?t=or30HYwEs_g5aST2wNKKwA&s=19

Reminds me of that short story, The Machine Stops. "Man is the measure"