Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does that karmically balance her out for racistly stealing an asian persons role in doctor strange i think it has to at least come close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is that why she took the role in the Suspiria remake?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

does that karmically balance her out for racistly stealing an asian persons role in doctor strange i think it has to at least come close

apparently that was a disney decision because they were worried an asian monk would be read as tibetan and get the movie banned from china

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

in suspiria (at least the original, idk about the remake) the boarding school is a site of unfathomable evil, in harry potter it is for the most part presented as a refuge and in spite of events a safe and desirable place

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 20:55 on Nov 8, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Is that why she took the role in the Suspiria remake?

she's ok with sick authoritarian institutions but only if they are explicitly Satanic.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

apparently that was a disney decision because they were worried an asian monk would be read as tibetan and get the movie banned from china

even assuming disney actually believed this shangchis lack of chinese distribution suggests the bigger danger would have been the censors realizing the premise was built entirely on racist asian stereotypes

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

even assuming disney actually believed this shangchis lack of chinese distribution suggests the bigger danger would have been the censors realizing the premise was built entirely on racist asian stereotypes

the lack of distribution is because the star said some anti china stuff like "china is a third world country"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

I mean his nemesis is the mandarin

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bro Dad posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

the mandarin just being ben kingsley playing himself is iron man three was funny even if pointless aside from trolling people who read comics

but its not as funny as marvel coming back eight years later and going actually the mandarin was real all along and he was a kung fu wizard who was uh taking a nap

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

in suspiria (at least the original, idk about the remake) the boarding school is a site of unfathomable evil, in harry potter it is for the most part presented as a refuge and in spite of events a safe and desirable place

aside, of course, from the racist murder snake built into the foundations

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

been watching some Hong Kong horro from the 90s and while I have a very high tolerance for stomach churning violence they take it to a level that wouldn’t fly even in modern horror, I think. absolutely love them though, watched one the other day about a woman driven to kill by high real estate prices that made some amusing if unsubtle equivalencies between hyper violence and the commodification of housing and also featured rich people getting their dicks chopped off

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

you should watch the suspiria remake, it was really good

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

while horror is being discussed, posters itt should watch the most recent creepshow, which isn't particularly good but is pretty cspam. the basic premise is that a supernatural monster immigrant is able to suppress her monsterism through modern medicine, and she joins a congressional press junket to Canada meant to highlight price inequality and access to prescription drugs. merle from the walking dead plays a communist border patrol agent - which is inherently stupid - who they use as a foil to the empty-suit "progressive" congressman who is actually just a right-of-center democrat racist uninterested in improving people's lives. it's all extremely hamfisted and silly but the whole thrust of the episode is "nonvoting communists who believe in violent revolution are correct when contrasted with party functionaries" which is surprisingly good and correct for an episode of a Shudder original that has been extremely hit or miss so far

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Judakel posted:

the lack of distribution is because the star said some anti china stuff like "china is a third world country"

tbf he was discussing Zhou Enlai's role at the Bandung Conference

Serf
May 5, 2011

yesterday i decided to check out "titane" from 2021 sight unseen. my brother threw out a recommendation for it and i just turned it on to see what was up. pretty loving good is my verdict. it has some extremely good body horror that was hard to watch at times, but the best part of the movie is that its basically two different horror movies that slam into one another in the second act and poo poo just builds from there. every scene is great, and it has some really well done visual storytelling done through small details that come through in the performances. this was the main actress' first movie role and she knocks it out of the park imo.

spoilers and body horror ahead 10 minutes into the movie she murders a guy by driving a metal hairpin through his ear and into his brain. after that, while showering, she hears a loud banging on the door and heads outside to find a muscle car waiting for her, which she proceeds to climb into and gently caress. she spends the rest of the movie pregnant with the car-baby and you forget about this at times because of the tension between her and the fire captain that she is deceiving into thinking is her long-lost father. also there's a scene where she repeatedly stabs herself in her vagina to try and abort the baby, which only causes her to leak motor oil.

i looked it up afterwards and it was written and directed by julia docournau, who also did the all-time great body horror film "raw" so if you liked that movie, you'll probably enjoy this one

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Serf posted:

"titane"

The open sore she gets on her belly was so nasty. Brutal and good film, didn't hit me as hard as Raw tho

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
watched titane, very heavy metal

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Frog Act posted:

been watching some Hong Kong horro from the 90s and while I have a very high tolerance for stomach churning violence they take it to a level that wouldn’t fly even in modern horror, I think. absolutely love them though, watched one the other day about a woman driven to kill by high real estate prices that made some amusing if unsubtle equivalencies between hyper violence and the commodification of housing and also featured rich people getting their dicks chopped off

Oooh! Do you have any recommendations?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The real reason everyone goes to watch punchman movies: to cry. The audience, the cast, even the studio execs were crying. im cryning

Eternals is the most important movie of the 22nd century

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm weeping an incredibly dense amount of tears and i am here for it!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Why are the libs so loving insane about Eternals? I don't get it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Feldegast42 posted:

They've been ordered to be. The end.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

Feldegast42 posted:

studio execs foresaw it bombing so they slathered marketing in a healthy layer of idpol to get the twitter crowd worked up about it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Feldegast42 posted:

idpol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dammerung posted:

Oooh! Do you have any recommendations?

The Untold Story, a 1993 comedy-drama retelling of a particularly horrible murder in 1986 where a man killed ten members of a family with a broken bottle which has one really graphic rape and murder scene. i could barely make it through the finale it was so horrible and tasteless given it was done less than a decade after the murder it recreated, but the flip side is that it's a really interesting depiction of Portuguese Macau and has a lot of fun '90s Cantonese humor, which, despite being mostly recycled misogyny, is still pretty stupid and amusing. personally my interest in movies set in a place as underused as Macau made it a lot more tolerable but either way if you like horror it's a good watch.

I'd also recommend Dream Home, a 2010 Hong Kong slasher that is probably one of the most brutal movies I've ever seen but is also extremely c-spam. the wikipedia summary pretty well encapsulates why:

"In Hong Kong, Cheng Lai-sheung (Josie Ho) works two jobs with the hope of earning enough money to buy her own apartment with a view of the Victoria Harbour. In mixed chronological order, we see scenes from Lai-sheung's past. In her childhood, her family and friends are evicted from their low-rent housing so that developers can build expensive flats. Later in life, she vows to buy her mother and father a new apartment, but is unable to fulfill her promise before her mother dies. When her father becomes ill, she begins searching in earnest for a new place. She has an obsession for the Victoria Bay No. 1 high-rise address, originating in a childhood vow that she would one day buy a flat near the harbour. The vow was aimed at preventing her uncle from having to walk there and back on a daily basis."

to fulfill her life's mission of acquiring a luxury apartment, she starts murdering rich apartment owners to drive prices down, and it has a few interesting scenes and a few absolutely nauseating ones, most of which are centered around inflicting violence on the rich and idle. it's not exactly left-wing but it's still a really interesting movie that, like the untold story, if you can tolerate particularly brutal killings and find the HK setting compelling, you'll really enjoy it. for some reason i tend to really enjoy Cantonese movies, at least partially because i like the way the language sounds but also because there just isn't that much Chinese horror out there

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you do not cry at the Eternals, you have no heart. If you want more Eternals you have no brain. Thus spoke Kingo.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Eternals has been greenlit for a trilogy and I hear they are calling it the Eternals Cinematic Universe now.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mantis42 posted:

If you do not cry at the Eternals, you have no heart. If you want more Eternals you have no brain. Thus spoke Kingo.

If you are not a fan of the Eternals at 20 you have no heart. If you are not a fan of the Eternals at 40 you have no brain.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Feldegast42 posted:

Combination of MCU being all that American cinema has, a good chunk of Americans being only exposed to only recent blockbusters so their pool of movies is laughably small and this hosed up franchise loyalty fear that a badly reviewed MCU movie means they'll never get an Avengers 5 where the X-Men and Fantastic 4 join the Avengers to fight Galactus or some other big guy.

MCU doing another mega-arc would be stupid. Thanos is done and Endgame was the peak.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

You know who else didn't like the eternals? Adolf Hitler :colbert:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I recently watched the incredible and tense samurai film Harikiri (1962), a movie about ronin learning that feudal inequality is all consuming and that bushido is merely an illusion the elite use to justify their callousness and cowardly selfishness. one of the key points is the now impoverished ronin’s grandson dies since he can’t afford any medicine, which is why he demands to commit suicide in the forecourt of a prosperous clan, and the grandson’s name was Kingo and it really hosed this whole Kingo discourse up for me

Harikiri is extremely up this thread’s alley and it might be my favorite samurai movie ever for the wonderful way it undercuts myths about feudal honor and it’s willingness to explicitly attack the hypocrisy of the elite

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Feldegast42 posted:

it got mogged by dune.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

DesertIslandHermit posted:

MCU doing another mega-arc would be stupid. Thanos is done and Endgame was the peak.

Endgame came out in 2019, Iron Man came out in 2008. That's a decade of movies to move through their originally envisioned plot to the end.

They've got pressure to deliver another huge hit, because everything has to be compared against the benchmark of "why isn't this making as much money as what we did before?" and the fact that they're only going to lose people from here on out (this is an assumption, and I'm not saying it's going to happen in droves - I just mean that the audience for these movies has Maximized. There's no groups that haven't been exposed to these that you can pull in anymore.)

We're two years out from the last one, so I figure we have 4 more MAX before they attempt another big crossover mega-arc. If that one does moderately well, we'll get another 2-3 years after that. The cycle for these things works like a Radioactive half-life.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

I recently watched the incredible and tense samurai film Harikiri (1962), a movie about ronin learning that feudal inequality is all consuming and that bushido is merely an illusion the elite use to justify their callousness and cowardly selfishness. one of the key points is the now impoverished ronin’s grandson dies since he can’t afford any medicine, which is why he demands to commit suicide in the forecourt of a prosperous clan, and the grandson’s name was Kingo and it really hosed this whole Kingo discourse up for me

Harikiri is extremely up this thread’s alley and it might be my favorite samurai movie ever for the wonderful way it undercuts myths about feudal honor and it’s willingness to explicitly attack the hypocrisy of the elite

here's Kingo before they rewrote him to be a Bollywood guy.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I like Kumail Nanjiani though so hopefully this flop doesn't backfire on him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

remember how every movie until like 1963 was a western, until all of a sudden they weren't

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

i say swears online posted:

remember how every movie until like 1963 was a western, until all of a sudden they weren't

Where all of them done by two movie studios?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Where all of them done by two movie studios?

I don't see how that's relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...CAp-73XWs35xP2g