Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dongicus posted:

oh and i really do like the performance + design of the sugar skull guy, hes cool

A bajillion years chained up to a pillar and he is REALLY making up for lost time by hamming it up with his poses while that poor dude was futilely shooting his gun at him :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Taking the most charitable view, I'm going to assume it'll be something that stands distinct in some way that he wants to jam into the show's continuity, like time didn't used to exist and everything was just a chaotic flux of everything and nothing at once and then time got established thanks to the Mouri or whatever, the universe assembled into something resembling order with the Sugar Skull Gang imprisoned to prevent them unraveling it, and then Rassilon and Omega came along however long later and invented time travel and Rassilon elevated selected Gallifreyans into Time Lords etc.

The less charitable view is that he's had some "what if actually THIS!" idea in his head since he was a teenager that he's determined to stamp down onto the show to CHANGE HOW WE SEE THE DOCTOR FOREVER and we just have to put up with it for another 7 episodes till RTD comes back and just ignores it and it just becomes a "remember that weird time they did this dumb thing?" part of the show's history, like "half human on my mother's side" or the Other or the Mobius Doctors or the 1st Doctor and Susan being refugees from the 50th Century or whatever.

Unclear, but I’d assume a connection between the Timeless and the planet Time. The Division is presumably also involved, and our favorite dog (OK, second after K9) is connected with them and may be tied into what’s going on in a far more deliberate way than we thought.

Seems like the characters are better drawn (except for the ones Chibnall doesn’t really care about, like the British general, who didn’t land as much of anything) but the actual logic of what is happening doesn’t hold up to a few seconds’ scrutiny. The “Sontarans don’t refuel in shifts” thing could actually have been explained in a sentence or two, but there wasn’t any attempt to do that. Yes, I do believe Sontaran temporal technology is so crap that a single uncontrolled time explosion would unravel their invasion. But there’s gonna have to be a hell of an explanation for why the triangle peacekeepers set as guards on the planet time don’t recognize Swarm or Azure, who are presumably the ones who damaged the temple of Atropos in the first place.

This is starting to feel like it was influenced more heavily by the Key to Time season than first appeared. There’s a definite Order vs Chaos theme in operation and one wonders if the temple were fully operational whether it would lock everything into stasis.

Unsure whether that house at the beginning is the TARDIS or Time itself. I do have a bad idea that the Weeping Angels aren’t going to turn out to be working with the Doctor after all, which will be a disappointment, but not as big of one as if Dan carrying his shrunken house around in his pocket doesn’t turn out to matter later in the story. If you see a shrunken house on the mantle in Act 1, you have to unshrink it on top of something before the end.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

I'm glad the general stayed up all night making up his elaborate plan of... having all the troops run straight towards the sontarans on foot, trying to stab them with bayonets, and occasionally shooting his single cannon.

In fairness that was like 90% of European military strategy through WWI.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the Sontarans have ever really been a terrifying villain on their own- their stories usually have some other hook, like Time Warrior is "what if an alien soldier landed in medieval England", Invasion of Time they only show up near the end as a surprise, The Two Doctors is mostly about the Androgums, etc. They're generic enough to be slotted in various kinds of stories.

Anyway the one plot hole I thought I noticed had nothing to do with shifts, but is rather this- okay so the one Sontaran that Mary treated was captured, for long enough for her to observe his sleep cycle. But if that cycle is specifically because they have to recharge their suits, why was he showing no ill effects from being away from the ship for multiple cycles?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anyway the one plot hole I thought I noticed had nothing to do with shifts, but is rather this- okay so the one Sontaran that Mary treated was captured, for long enough for her to observe his sleep cycle. But if that cycle is specifically because they have to recharge their suits, why was he showing no ill effects from being away from the ship for multiple cycles?

He actually died during the first sleep cycle. And the general died on the battlefield. Something brought them both back to life.

(I really hope that isn’t right, BTW.)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't think the Sontarans have ever really been a terrifying villain on their own- their stories usually have some other hook, like Time Warrior is "what if an alien soldier landed in medieval England", Invasion of Time they only show up near the end as a surprise, The Two Doctors is mostly about the Androgums, etc. They're generic enough to be slotted in various kinds of stories.

The Sontaran Experiment, where a lone Sontaran is conducting horrific experiments on humans as a method of figuring out their weaknesses prior to invasion, is pretty solid as a "Sontaran as a legitimately terrifying foe" story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Sontaran Experiment is such a fun little oddity that fits in nicely with an incredible run of stories for that season*, because it feels a little more like modern Who pacing thanks to being a 2-parter only.

* until the Cybermen story comes along and fails to live up to the great stories that preceded it. Though it did give us the Cyber-Massage of Doom:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
"what is that useless weapon you've got?" - "it's a wok!"

Hahaha I like this episode better than the last.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I enjoyed that episode, a bit silly like the previous but that's fine - it's got likable characters with Dan and Mary, and that dog is so stupid but campy enough that I like him it in spite of myself.

Couldn't land the ending through, I would have preferred if the victory hadn't been so absolute given their approach. It was being put forward more as a setback, and how humiliating that is for Sontarans (better execute you for that)!... but then at the final moment - oh well lets just blow it all up anyway with these barrels. Even if it had been just the Temporal Base that was destroyed, leaving a group of desperate, angry under-resourced Sontarans running around in the background of the remainder of the series, maybe play a part in the finale.

But that's a small gripe, I've enjoyed both these episodes and look forwards to the third.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jerusalem posted:

A bajillion years chained up to a pillar and he is REALLY making up for lost time by hamming it up with his poses while that poor dude was futilely shooting his gun at him :allears:

That scene reminded me so much of The Mask, I loved it.

Another great episode. Two in a row? Chibnalls on a roll. I really want to know more with what gives with the TARDIS right now. Having the TARDIS as an almost omnipotent being in itself acting alln out of whack is intriguing. You can tell its in big trouble with the constqnt ringing of the cloister bell. One thing I have a small gripe with since Nu Who began is the lack of TARDIS orientated stories (apart from that one episode where the barmaid from Coronation Street decided to have an adventure)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Currently watching ep2 but has to pause and take a screenshot

Can't believe Yas has to stop and look at the note the Doctor left her. It's like she doesn't trust them at all.

Ridiculous.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

That scene reminded me so much of The Mask, I loved it.

Another great episode. Two in a row? Chibnalls on a roll. I really want to know more with what gives with the TARDIS right now. Having the TARDIS as an almost omnipotent being in itself acting alln out of whack is intriguing. You can tell its in big trouble with the constqnt ringing of the cloister bell. One thing I have a small gripe with since Nu Who began is the lack of TARDIS orientated stories (apart from that one episode where the barmaid from Coronation Street decided to have an adventure)

Her name is Rose

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

War of the Sontarans mp4s - click to view:

Love this loving house:

https://i.imgur.com/cqlZMmZ.mp4

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 8, 2021

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I for one salute our Sontaran friends for granting Finland the gift of independence a good 60-something years in advance :finland:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Forktoss posted:

I for one salute our Sontaran friends for granting Finland the gift of independence a good 60-something years in advance :finland:

“Leader, the climate in this part of our great empire appears to be defective!”
“Excellent, we can use the threat of exile to this place to keep the populace in line.”
“Can you technically exile someone to a place that is part of the empire?”
“I… hurgh. Grant them their independence immediately!”

(Yes, you can exile people to a part of your own country. Sontarans are not especially bright.)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked The Christmas Invasion callback

"They're leaving."
"Time to blow them up!"
[ANGRY DOCTOR NOISES]

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Jerusalem posted:

War of the Sontarans mp4s - click to view:

Not sure why, but your links never work for me.
e:Unless I add .mp4 for every one, hmm.

I did enjoy the whole Mary Seacole thing from this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBo2T30Pbw

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 8, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm still on board after the second ep

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Awfully nice of the Doctor not to tell the soldiers who are about to be slaughtered the only way to beat a Sontaran.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerusalem posted:

"I've still got a human in this fight" :laugh:

The episode was gonna get a C from me, but this line made it an instant A+.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OgNar posted:

Not sure why, but your links never work for me.
e:Unless I add .mp4 for every one, hmm.

I'm really sorry I can't remember how, but somebody in another thread (might have been in a different subforum) figured out some reason why this happens to a few people (most should be able to click the link and it works just fine) and it was a relatively simple workaround. I wish I'd saved the post somewhere because every so often this crops up again and it's incredibly frustrating remembering there is a solution but not what it is.

thrawn527 posted:

The episode was gonna get a C from me, but this line made it an instant A+.

I was fully prepared to dislike that character from the first time I saw him in the trailer but the fact that he's just a very good boy yes he is was a wonderful discovery :)

https://i.imgur.com/DotdxJz.mp4

:allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

OgNar posted:

I did enjoy the whole Mary Seacole thing from this episode.

That was a good way to invoke history! The Doctor didn't have to oppress her or do anything horrible to preserve history. I hadn't heard of Mary Seacole before the episode but I paused and looked her up and I think that's good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He really is such a good boy.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Khanstant posted:

I hadn't heard of Mary Seacole before the episode but I paused and looked her up and I think that's good.

Her Wikipedia page's "controversy" section says that people in Britain get really angry if she is brought up as a historical figure, because it supposedly takes away from Florence Nightingale's legacy. Another example of Normal Island being normal.

Really liked the episode, but Jodie's characterisation remains unconvincing. What's her feelings on all of this? What are we learning about the Doctor from these events? She has been running around perplexed for two hours now, I just want to see some, any, compelling character for her. At least Colin Baker had the smug rear end in a top hat thing, I still feel like Jodie has nothing. I hope to be proven wrong.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Not really loving the story so far but I'm intrigued by the campy sibling aliens. Also this is the best Doctor Who has ever looked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shneak posted:

Not really loving the story so far but I'm intrigued by the campy sibling aliens. Also this is the best Doctor Who has ever looked.

I feel like I am definitely going to miss the Sugar Skull Gang after this season is over.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I wish the dog had gotten excited when Dan said it was a wok. :haw:

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought when Dan put the wok into his coat right before he climbed the ladder that they were setting up an Eastwood/McFly moment where he gets shot and the dog goes nuts on the Sontarans thinking that he'd failed his human... but nope.

I liked it! It was better than the first episode. I am however staying cautiously pessimistic because Chibnall has been known to absolutely fail at bringing things back around and making a coherent story (remember how good the Master reveal was compared to the Master's last ep?).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder what that glance between Dan's parents meant when he said he'd been dealing with aliens

Are they going to be Swarm and Azure at a different point in time, given they seem to be doing things out of order?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
He shoulda tossed them his house and asked them to watch over it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Not Paul Bettany and Not Helena Bonham Carter skull gang actually own balls. Those actors are loving it up and chewing scenery are having a blast

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I thought when Dan put the wok into his coat right before he climbed the ladder that they were setting up an Eastwood/McFly moment where he gets shot and the dog goes nuts on the Sontarans thinking that he'd failed his human... but nope.

This amuses me because while watching the episode, I first thought that when Dan started fading away it was doing a Back To The Future thing of "oh no history has been altered and Dan was never born". Then later when he's back in Liverpool 2021 I thought it was doing the Back To The Future 2 thing of "oh no the Sontarans have ruled Earth for hundreds of years and Dan is trapped in a bad timeline dystopia". Between the two of us we've managed to think the episode is going to invoke every movie of the Back To The Future trilogy only for it to swerve in a different direction.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
On the one hand, you can't argue that these first two episodes have been dull which is a step up from Chibnall's first two series.

All the Flux stuff makes it impossible for the individual episodes to breathe however. The "Sontarans fighting the Crimean War" might have been a fun hook but it didn't have any time to develop and as a result never really got a chance to land. The "Doctor gets disapointed in humanity" trope after the general blows up the Sontarans might have had more impact if the episode had spent more time with that rather than modern day Liverpool and the Planet Time.

The Jazzy Skull gang are great though and I hope every week they get a new gang member with no explanation as to where they've come from.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

One of the skulls said that the Mouri had been quantum-locked as protection from them, so I'm wondering if they're going to turn out to have some connection to the Weeping Angels.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m closing sign ups for the Secret Santa tonight (8am GMT 10th November), so this is your last chance to join in the festivities! :toot:

The_Doctor posted:

New thread? Perfect time for the....

:siren: THE 2021 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again! I'm launching it a bit earlier this year because postal systems are already announcing they're going to be incredibly overloaded, so here's some extra time to beat the rush!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into a hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No, really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: https://forms.gle/rG2pT2UAxy9MuJb77

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject line, please include the tag [DWSS].

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINES: The deadline for sign-ups is Monday November 8th! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

Try to have your gift mailed out by Friday December 10th

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£20-25) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) WORK ADDRESSES: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you can agree to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: https://www.royalmail.com/christmas/last-posting-dates

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/holiday-shipping-dates.htm/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by Friday December 10th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat Santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

One of the skulls said that the Mouri had been quantum-locked as protection from them, so I'm wondering if they're going to turn out to have some connection to the Weeping Angels.

I’ll repeat my old suggestion: the Weeping Angels are the way they are because of the skull gang. That probably includes their feeding off of temporal energy, too, although whether that’s related to the old Time before the Mouri harnessed time itself or to the period where time was under control but the skull gang were still active, it’s hard to say.

If it turns out all the monsters end up fighting the Doctor instead of working with her, I will be profoundly upset. Fighting followed by the Doctor recruiting them is fine. But the skull gang are a threat to reality and beings like the Angels ought to know that.

A quantum lock that suspends itself via proximity seems like a bad defense. Maybe the skull gang needed someone else to trip the proximity condition because they can’t for some reason?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1458087404137500684

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1458004031260041221

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Updog Scully posted:

Her Wikipedia page's "controversy" section says that people in Britain get really angry if she is brought up as a historical figure, because it supposedly takes away from Florence Nightingale's legacy. Another example of Normal Island being normal.

If it makes you feel better, I think the average person is very, very unlikely to have an opinion of any kind on Mary Seacole.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Man want to say this before the reveal.

I'm getting the vibe the skeletal big bads are the elder vampires that the time lords stopped and it explains their magic (the time lords got rid of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey I finally watched It's a Sin and it's really, really, really loving good. Also holy gently caress that last episode and Keeley Hawes' performance :stonk:

A nice reminder that RTD is a very, very, very, very good writer.