Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

The Maestro posted:

Serve every drink in the same kind of glass.

And make it a red solo cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Delitainers.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Fizzys right, but only the ones the kitchens used to store garlic and/or onions.

Real answer, run a pmix for your busiest days for the past couple months to see the spread of glassware used. Make sure you’re not skewed super heavily towards one type. Also, I know that most of my favorite glassware isn’t stackable but it’s probably the right move for rocks/dbl rocks. The extra dish racks, especially for coupes, is a solid solution that I’ve used at multiple bars. I’m assuming you’re not using glass chillers? 13k is what 800-1000 drinks? A few small changes should get you there. GNT? You get a rocks glass. Vodka soda? You get a rocks glass.

There’s other options, but we really don’t have enough info on the specific space. Hit us with some layout drawings. What are you serving water in?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Justa Dandelion posted:

And make it a red solo cup.

Mason jar.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Have your guests bring their own cups and make them pay your staff for you too while they're at it.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

The Maestro posted:

Serve every drink in the same glass.

:smuggo:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

But what if more than one guest sits at the same time

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Did you know that with some work you can stick drinking straws inside each other to make super long straws?

Oh, and only have one happy hour special a day, that's important.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

bloody ghost titty posted:

Sounds like their problem :clint:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Serve all your liquids out of a boiling vat that the Westerners must take a huge straw slurp from before they can be allowed to transport the elephant via aircraft.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One week later...

I don't miss it, at all. The fact I always get a guaranteed 30 minute break every day is a huge boost to my mental health.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

The Bandit posted:

Fizzys right, but only the ones the kitchens used to store garlic and/or onions.

Real answer, run a pmix for your busiest days for the past couple months to see the spread of glassware used. Make sure you’re not skewed super heavily towards one type. Also, I know that most of my favorite glassware isn’t stackable but it’s probably the right move for rocks/dbl rocks. The extra dish racks, especially for coupes, is a solid solution that I’ve used at multiple bars. I’m assuming you’re not using glass chillers? 13k is what 800-1000 drinks? A few small changes should get you there. GNT? You get a rocks glass. Vodka soda? You get a rocks glass.

There’s other options, but we really don’t have enough info on the specific space. Hit us with some layout drawings. What are you serving water in?

Pmix is a great point. Just off the top of my head I know that our two most popular cocktails are in rocks glasses so simple highballs should definitely get collins every time for us which I'd currently a mixed bag. I don't have any layouts at the moment for y'all but I'll pull some in after service tonight. Typing this on the toilet lol. I'm filling in for the GM tonight, most of the time I work in the offices doing costing and working on new concepts... Been a while since I've been on the floor at this property and it's looking like a lot has been falling between the cracks... Going to be giving this team the love they desperately deserve for the next few months.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mithross posted:

Did you know that with some work you can stick drinking straws inside each other to make super long straws?

Oh, and only have one happy hour special a day, that's important.

Make your happy hour special a once per day thing, only available to the first person who orders it. Happy Hour Highlander

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hey all. Just got back into the game last week after a layoff last December. Foodrunning and serving at a only-game-in-town high scale football pub. I'm walking like a demon but actually earning what my labor is worth in what must be a short-lived miracle, so I want self-care to perpetuate the gold rush; hoping to source everyone here fir any recommendations for REALLY good quality no-slip shoes meant for 10-hour days of powerwalking?

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Just lol if you don't have to serve lovely in-state wine and spirits because it's almost impossible to get a license.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Black August posted:

Hey all. Just got back into the game last week after a layoff last December. Foodrunning and serving at a only-game-in-town high scale football pub. I'm walking like a demon but actually earning what my labor is worth in what must be a short-lived miracle, so I want self-care to perpetuate the gold rush; hoping to source everyone here fir any recommendations for REALLY good quality no-slip shoes meant for 10-hour days of powerwalking?

I don't have a specific recommendation, and I'm sure someone else will. I found that it's easier to find a cheap comfy pair that will last you 1 year before you wear them down into garbage and you just pay $30-75 yearly uniform tax to have reasonable shoes.

If you are on your feet going all about all the time, you want really lightweight stuff. It will rapidly erode no matter what material or brand it is. Find something that is comfortable for you that you wouldn't mind replacing once a year or so.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I was really hoping, since I can afford it for once, to get some of the high-end gear. I've been using disposables for a decade and they just don't cut it, I want something professional grade that'll last the next 10. Or at least the 5 I plan to spend here.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I understand this might mean "go get a custom fit made at a master cobbler"

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The basic shoes for crews clogs worked for me for a very, very long time. Pretty sure I re-epoxied the treads at least twice when they got loose.

Hopefully they haven't changed the shoe much since then and now.

The 35$ish froggz, i think they were?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Black August posted:

I was really hoping, since I can afford it for once, to get some of the high-end gear. I've been using disposables for a decade and they just don't cut it, I want something professional grade that'll last the next 10. Or at least the 5 I plan to spend here.

Did you mean 10 months or weeks?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

greazeball posted:

Did you mean 10 months or weeks?

Years.

There was one sever I worked with at a crabhouse in Seattle, he paid $800 and they had lasted him 9 years so far. Wish I remembered the brand he mentioned.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The most expensive pair of shoes I ever bought to ruin at work are dansko pros and those lasted me three years working in a busy bar.

Lmao at spending any more than $150 on one pair of work shoes. If you want to spend $800 on shoes that will last a decade, buy 5 pairs of really good shoes and rotate through them so you're putting on a freshly rested pair every day. My god that would be luxurious as gently caress. Way better than clapping an $800 pair by having to wear them constantly.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah. I'm open to those kind of ideas, I just want to invest in a really reliable pair of good shoes and want to field any experiences. Are Red Wings worth it? I'm putting my body under a lot of sudden stress again, and I got a hurt knee, so I'm trying to get something that makes it as comfortable as possible to do the 10 hour shifts and support my feet without losing quality after just a few months.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Black August posted:

Yeah. I'm open to those kind of ideas, I just want to invest in a really reliable pair of good shoes and want to field any experiences. Are Red Wings worth it? I'm putting my body under a lot of sudden stress again, and I got a hurt knee, so I'm trying to get something that makes it as comfortable as possible to do the 10 hour shifts and support my feet without losing quality after just a few months.

Red Wings were the most comfortable shoes I ever wore on a line... once I broke them in. They took a full week to get comfortable and worn though. AFAIK you can get them relaced and resoled for free though.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I always worked in Nike free runs, sole’s are grippy enough for everything except the dish pit. They’re lightweight and have a fairly roomy toe box. After a decade of rotating through different brands I spent my last 5 years in them. I found the light weight was better than a super cushy sole for my feet, knees, and back. They are great for the first year, and decent for the next 6-12months.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I got a Red Wing store nearby, so I'll try those. Thank you!

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Black August posted:

Sounds rear end-backwards but after you break them in Doc Martins (or the company that all the og doc martins makers formed with the lifetime warranty, can't remember the name) are super comfortable for serving and bartending. Breaking them in sucks poo poo but those were my go-to pair when I knew I had a long and busy service ahead of me. My pair is going on 2 years now and more comfy than ever, although it's been half a year since I've been behind the bar or on the floor regularly.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Mithross posted:

Red Wings were the most comfortable shoes I ever wore on a line... once I broke them in. They took a full week to get comfortable and worn though. AFAIK you can get them relaced and resoled for free though.

I’m not in the restaurant industry, I’m an auto mechanic(although the shoe-related conditions are probably quite similar), and Redwings are the only boot that lasted me more than a couple years without disintegrating. They’re a bitch to break in though.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Note that you'll want to look at the Red Wing Heritage boots, since those have a Goodyear welt (i.e., can be resoled) and are made in the US, unlike some of their other lines which are made in SE Asia

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Whatever shoes you get, don't forget to stretch your legs. Hammy's in particular. I can't over emphasize how much that'll help.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah, the store near me has a whole restore and repair service ability, so I’m going to invest in some that I can get serviced yearly. I’d like to try some with those click wheel steel laces.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Whatever shoes you get, don't forget to stretch your legs. Hammy's in particular. I can't over emphasize how much that'll help.

Hah yeah, I have a whole leg therapy thing I’m forcing myself to do daily now since I have a wounded knee. With this place I’ll be able to afford the occasional massage!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

Yeah, the store near me has a whole restore and repair service ability, so I’m going to invest in some that I can get serviced yearly. I’d like to try some with those click wheel steel laces.

When the steel cable goes, those boots become pretty useless, so I'd recommend against those...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Canuck-Errant posted:

When the steel cable goes, those boots become pretty useless, so I'd recommend against those...

You can repair them yourself or just bring it to the store to have them fix it. The store site specifically mentions boot maintenance and repair, so I feel good being within 20 minutes drive to regularly maintain them through the work I'm going to do the next few years.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

shoechat: I'm a huge dansko aficianado because I need something with a slight heel to keep my ankles aligned- flat soles absolutely kill me. What works for you is going to depend on the anatomy of your feet and legs. Some people (like me) also tend to "roll over" shoes faster than others, so pay attention to any uneven wear patterns, especially if you have joint issues.

In other news, I've gotten a new job working as a server in a little European bistro near my house. So far it's quirky but pretty nice. Shifts are short, the people are nice, I get 5 shifts a week consistently (I had to quit my last job because they never scheduled me enough) and the guests are pretty much all reasonable tippers.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Chef at the sister restaurant of my last restaurant job called me yesterday. She is suing the company and wants to know if I'm willing to give statements or testimony as to the company's practices and treatment of employees lmao

She told me that when I left, the entire FOH management staff was gone within 2 months. Two of them quit, and the 3rd, the event coordinator, :siren:(CW: reproductive health and suicide) had a miscarriage the day after her brother killed himself. So she called the GM to tell him she was flying home for a day and he fired her.

The chef that called me, T, has medically diagnosed PTSD. A dishwasher at her place stabbed a cook with a kitchen knife, so she got triggered pretty hard and asked for 2 days of leave to get it together. They approved it, then fired her over the phone on the second day for "poor job performance". They had just done her job dialogue the week prior and given her a $10k raise for good performance lol.

I hope she nails them to the fucken wall. The GM is a fuckin pedophile too.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 20, 2021

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
"People just don't want to work, that's why we're having staffing issues"

What the christ, I hope she takes them to the cleaners.

edit: Do you mind if I crosspost this to the r/relationships thread? This is exactly the kind of horrific bullshit they eat with a spoon.

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 20, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jesus wept.

https://twitter.com/Flagsam/status/1463488626709475335?s=19

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Christ on a Triscuit, that was painful to read, Skwirl.

I popped by my former store on Wednesday since I was delivering some of my husband's apple butter. My boss was there, standing on the line cracking eggs. After 90% of the kitchen/FOH ran over to glomp me and plead "are you coming back?! When are you coming back?!" (ngl, that felt good), the boss waves me over.

"So what are they paying you at [my new job]?"

"$10.50" (I was making 10 at restaurant)

"Give you $12 if you come back..."

Hmmm, $12 to get constantly cut --- the store just announced on FB that they're closing 2 days/week bc surprise, they have insufficient staff --- or $10.50 to get a solid 32-40 hrs, lunch breaks, PTO, and not come home crying all the time. Tough call!

I smiled and said "I'll consider that" and then cackled like an idiot the whole way home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

they should've had the foresight to be back of house when they had the seizure tbh.

much easier to work around