Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Jarvisi posted:

Also I enjoy Terra Mystica, how good is project gaia? That's the sequel one, right?

Gaia Project is pretty good. I've only played a handful of times but have enjoyed it. Its very similar to Terra Mystica but the cult tracks go from being just about points to being a meaningful decision on how to specialize. That being said if you already own Terra Mystica its hard to justify getting both since they are the same game at heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Grundma posted:

Gaia Project is pretty good. I've only played a handful of times but have enjoyed it. Its very similar to Terra Mystica but the cult tracks go from being just about points to being a meaningful decision on how to specialize. That being said if you already own Terra Mystica its hard to justify getting both since they are the same game at heart

Game Brain including myself thinks Gaia Project is simply better although I'll happily play Terra Mystica as will Paul the Game Breaker.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Glagha posted:

Don't forget that you can both place and resolve your cards in whatever order so if you're faced with a room full of enemies you can place your 80 card before your 10 when playing and go at 80 initiative to give the enemies time to blow their actions and hopefully not swarm you before you go in last and start hammering on them. With groups of lots of melee guys they'll often just walk toward you and end turn. You can also kind of bottleneck them or move to one side so that only some of the enemies can reach you which will mean eating 2 hits instead of 4 or something. A good skill is learning when to burn cards. You need to pace yourself obviously but don't be afraid to use your powerful burn cards because sometimes trashing that card is better than the extra turns you'll spend trying to deal with a problem in a more "efficient" manner without burn cards.

Thanks.

I think I'm getting better at it. My two biggest breakthroughs were realising that I can synchronise my dudes with short rests/long rests so they all charge in at once, and that knowing the map helps a lot.

For example: The first scenario with cultists had a side room with two Earth Elementals. The first time I split my party and failed (last move was grabbing the chest there, which happened to be a trap and killed the Scoundrel, just to rub salt in the wound), the second time I opened the door and then run the gently caress away to the final room of the dungeon. The Elementals spend four turns getting there, by which time I had cleaned house there and killed them easily.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Grundma posted:

yeah I love TM and GP, GP has more flexibility than TM in not feeling like a knife fight in a phonebooth, but also more room to screw up in ways you don't realize until later.

Ore is much, much more valuable in GP than TM, it's much easier to get coins. Techs being randomly assigned to the "cults" makes things more interesting, there's no real overpowering Earth 1 favor like in TM.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

How is Paper Tales regarded around these parts?

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Has anyone ITT played the Dune board game (not Dune Imperium) the original one just called Dune. I played my 2nd game and got my rear end beat. I've played twice now as the emperor and I feel like I'm playing it wrong. I need some sweet strats.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

metachronos posted:

Has anyone ITT played the Dune board game (not Dune Imperium) the original one just called Dune. I played my 2nd game and got my rear end beat. I've played twice now as the emperor and I feel like I'm playing it wrong. I need some sweet strats.

Dune's one of those games I've always wanted to play but never managed to do so.

That said, there's this YouTube video I watched a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTVLde7S1Mc

...which I watched to help me make sense of these people playing the game.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_WINTqtjo

Hopefully there's something in there to help you out. :shrug:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I been playing a lot of Cthulhu Wars on TTS lately. Does anyone have opinions on expansion content and/or maps outside of just the additional factions?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Glagha posted:

I been playing a lot of Cthulhu Wars on TTS lately. Does anyone have opinions on expansion content and/or maps outside of just the additional factions?

None of it is essential. Not that this stopped me, but still.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Classic Dune is a game HIGHLY sensitive to the group you play it with. I hoped for it to stick with mine but it fell completely flat. The negotiation was just too open ended. My best tip is to get hired as an Inside Sales associate at some corp for wheeling and dealing experience.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

SettingSun posted:

Classic Dune is a game HIGHLY sensitive to the group you play it with. I hoped for it to stick with mine but it fell completely flat. The negotiation was just too open ended. My best tip is to get hired as an Inside Sales associate at some corp for wheeling and dealing experience.

In the 2nd game I played almost no one bought or sold information or did much negotiating at all. The players playing Fremen and Atreides allied pretty quickly so I allied with the spacing guild and it basically became a 2 v 2 game. I felt like the bids on the treachery cards were pretty low which left me resource constrained. Also I had a pretty climactic battle where the fremen player and I both bet the farm and then we both had each other's leader as traitor which wiped us both out.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jedit posted:

None of it is essential. Not that this stopped me, but still.

Well I don't mean that as a what to buy thing because I'm paying it on TTS there's no way I'm actually buying anything for that game because the fun to dollar value ratio doesn't work for me, I'm just more interested in like what stuff is fun and should I consider adding next have.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Glagha posted:

I really like the library map, particularly in larger player count games, as it gives all players a chance to mess with the leader even if their own units are not positioned in a way that they could normally do so. I sometimes find on the base map that one person can end up in a really strong position, but only one or two other players are really in a good position to do anything about it and if they don't - either because they don't see the need, or sometimes because they can't, the strong player can run away with things unchecked. Library introduces a mechanic that allows everyone to gently caress with everyone constantly (well, once per round at least) that keeps things way more dynamic. I wouldn't play with it every time, and physically it's a disaster as the board spaces are waaaaay too small for the pieces - far more so even than base game - but it's great to change things up from time to time.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Micro Macro: Crime City makes for a pretty solid little activity... game.. thing.

Zero rules burden, instant setup, you can do a "case" in a few minutes with 2 people - or with as many people as you want to crowd around looking at a picture. Seems like a great fit as filler, or at a party where games are a side activity. No stress. Kids like it. Adults like it. Works with friends, or as a conversation starter with a stranger.

Obviously limited lifetime, but that's about the only negative thing I can say.

I'd buy it now before you can't find a copy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Street Horrrsing posted:

How is Paper Tales regarded around these parts?

I quite like it. Have the first (only?) expansion as well. Very solid and fast drafting game that’s great at 2-5

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok I've been out of touch with board games and board gaming for like over 6-7 years now and my wife keeps asking me for Xmas ideas so I walked to the local game store and I have no idea wtf I'm even looking at anymore. Can anybody give me a few recommendations that aren't like $200 limited edition kickstarter games or whatever?

(i like coop games in general usually)

Also I have two kids now

If your kids are into it, Zombie Kidz is a small cheap family-focused coop with legacy elements. Always exciting for kids to put stickers in the rule book and tear open envelopes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One day I'll get Pax Pamir.

One day.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

metachronos posted:

Has anyone ITT played the Dune board game.

Yes.

As Emperor, do nothing on the first turn, and even maybe the second, except goad other people into fighting. Wait a while for when someone is in a really great (not just good, ignore them) position and ally with them. "I'll let you buy all the treachery cards forever" is the best bargaining chip for forming an alliance, and if you've not stuck your oar in yet, you should also at that point have the ability to just drop a McBillion troops somewhere.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

jmzero posted:

Micro Macro: Crime City makes for a pretty solid little activity... game.. thing.

Zero rules burden, instant setup, you can do a "case" in a few minutes with 2 people - or with as many people as you want to crowd around looking at a picture. Seems like a great fit as filler, or at a party where games are a side activity. No stress. Kids like it. Adults like it. Works with friends, or as a conversation starter with a stranger.

Obviously limited lifetime, but that's about the only negative thing I can say.

I'd buy it now before you can't find a copy.

drat, I've been thinking about it for a little while, and this just convinced me. Seems like a great chill activity to do with my partner over the holiday break.

It's non-destructive (i.e. I'm not scribbling on the map), right? It'll be a no-brainer to just pass it around the friendship group if so

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What kind of age range is Micro Macro suitable for? Looking at it for possible Christmas presents for relatives. It got mentioned in the SUSD review but more opinions are helpful.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

metachronos posted:

In the 2nd game I played almost no one bought or sold information or did much negotiating at all. The players playing Fremen and Atreides allied pretty quickly so I allied with the spacing guild and it basically became a 2 v 2 game. I felt like the bids on the treachery cards were pretty low which left me resource constrained. Also I had a pretty climactic battle where the fremen player and I both bet the farm and then we both had each other's leader as traitor which wiped us both out.

If you are playing with less than six players, I would use the factions recommended in the manual for lower playing counts. I say this because the Guild player in your game must have been really spice poor due to lack of shipping. The Atreides start the game with half their forces on the planet already and the Fremen don't pay for shipment at all.

Common advice is pick your battles carefully. Battles are absolutely brutal, you take loses even if you are the winner. Try to remember what cards the other players use in their battles so you know what weapon/defense to counter when you eventually fight them yourself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What kind of age range is Micro Macro suitable for? Looking at it for possible Christmas presents for relatives. It got mentioned in the SUSD review but more opinions are helpful.

It has more adult themes and situations like murders and such so that’d fall to your discretion.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

The Narrator posted:

drat, I've been thinking about it for a little while, and this just convinced me. Seems like a great chill activity to do with my partner over the holiday break.

It's non-destructive (i.e. I'm not scribbling on the map), right? It'll be a no-brainer to just pass it around the friendship group if so

Yep - no destruction. We use cubes to help remember where we saw relevant stuff.

I think some people will want to color it as they go (or after it's done), but that's independent from the game (and needn't be destructive).

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Note part 2 of MMCC just came out and lines up with part 1 for s bigger map, with some peoples' stories going over both (but no cases combining them yet). I think 4 are planned.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I've got myself Twilight Imperium: 4th Edition and will be playing my first game with 5 mates (also all new) in a few weeks. I've sent them the Learn to Play book and the RTFM teaching video (and explained that it's best they read/watch it ahead of time than have me prattle on for 40mins at the start of the day).

Any pointers/things to look out for for a first game? I've downloaded the revised Diplomacy card and I'm toying with using the Omega tech versions.

Any recommendations on a pool of starting factions? I've seen mixed recommendations between what should definitely be up for picking.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

SettingSun posted:

This is a good summary. Some people will try to play Dune as a "move your pieces" boardgame, some will treat it as pure negotiation, lots will fall in between. It's intended as a brutal carousel of alliances and betrayals, head on confrontation is brutal (as said elsewhere) and it's not an entirely fair game. The group has to go in with that in mind.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
New Splotter is announced and up for preorder. Very little information about how it actually plays thought. Sort of sounds like Kanban + FCM from the brief description on a previous Heavy Cardboard podcast.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/350205/horseless-carriage

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm sure the game will be quite interesting mechanically but oh boy I really hope they treat the visual design as more than something that's just a step above 'brown on beige' or 'its functional, what are colors'.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Morpheus posted:

I'm sure the game will be quite interesting mechanically but oh boy I really hope they treat the visual design as more than something that's just a step above 'brown on beige' or 'its functional, what are colors'.

Food Chain Magnate, Bus, The Great Zimbabwe are all colorful, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Doesn't sound as if their games are for you.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Yeah, it was odd how FCM had those 50s advertisement feel cards and covers and then the board looks like something rescued from an early copy of MSPaint. And the muddy pictures and icons of Roads & Boats actually get in the way of the game - is that a piece of coal or a rock or a turd?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

The Narrator posted:

I've got myself Twilight Imperium: 4th Edition and will be playing my first game with 5 mates (also all new) in a few weeks. I've sent them the Learn to Play book and the RTFM teaching video (and explained that it's best they read/watch it ahead of time than have me prattle on for 40mins at the start of the day).

quote:

Any pointers/things to look out for for a first game?

Expect at least half of your friends to have not done any preparation for the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Yeah, it was odd how FCM had those 50s advertisement feel cards and covers and then the board looks like something rescued from an early copy of MSPaint. And the muddy pictures and icons of Roads & Boats actually get in the way of the game - is that a piece of coal or a rock or a turd?

nvm

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 9, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm playing Dune again this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for either snacks I could make, or just general props?

I made a couple of sandworm cakes in the past, and last time the dude playing emperor bought some tassel epaulets and a "prom king" sash, that was pretty hilarious.

We're pretty far down the golden path at this point, so no reference is too obscure, I don't think. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly be playing Bene Gesserit!

I think I asked this before and someone suggested some blue drink as the water of life, this is a great idea.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

nonathlon posted:

not enough minis

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

!Klams posted:

I'm playing Dune again this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for either snacks I could make, or just general props?

I made a couple of sandworm cakes in the past, and last time the dude playing emperor bought some tassel epaulets and a "prom king" sash, that was pretty hilarious.

We're pretty far down the golden path at this point, so no reference is too obscure, I don't think. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly be playing Bene Gesserit!

I think I asked this before and someone suggested some blue drink as the water of life, this is a great idea.

I read the first line of this and was like "Hey someone did this before you should go look in the thread history!"

And then I read the second line and realized it was you.

Sorry I don't have any great suggestions.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Narrator posted:

Any pointers/things to look out for for a first game? I've downloaded the revised Diplomacy card and I'm toying with using the Omega tech versions.

Any recommendations on a pool of starting factions? I've seen mixed recommendations between what should definitely be up for picking.

Biggest strategy point is obvious but a common pitfall: keep your eyes on the points. A lot of newbies obsess with getting tech/building a big fleet but neglect to pick up VPs whenever they can

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Serve people spoonfuls of cinnamon or other spices.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Mr. Squishy posted:

Serve people spoonfuls of cinnamon or other spices.

...this is actually pretty funny, I might do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

!Klams posted:

Unsweetened cranberry juice or some other bitter drink, and make everyone sip a shot of it during Mentat phase.