Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
This exact type of dude will always be like "Man wrestling was better when they had over the top characters!" and then look at Orange Cassidy and Luchasaurus and be like "Get that poo poo outta here!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Drakkel posted:

This exact type of dude will always be like "Man wrestling was better when they had over the top characters!" and then look at Orange Cassidy and Luchasaurus and be like "Get that poo poo outta here!!!!!"

Kenny Omega is a boring straightforward wrestler with no character, said a bunch of people who never saw a single Elite promo segment.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All AEW characters should be variations of Duke The Dumpster Droese.

Kenny The Dumpster Omega
Freshly Dumpstered Orange Cassidy
The Dumpster PAC
The Dumpster & The Dumpster (w/The Dumpster)
Dumpster Rosa

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

This has to be a gimmick. No way am I looking at the New Generation with rose coloured glasses and saying "The peak of this period was Doink and Yoko". Even if I'm saying Wrestling Doesn't Matter (thus eliminating Shawn and Bret) I still have Diesel and Razor long before I get close to Yoko and loving Doink.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Matt Borne Doink was goddamn amazing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
and Yokozuna when gone back is still a force, he isn't like Giant Haystacks or Happy Humpfrey he was a huuuuuge man that could do poo poo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not sure Karrion Kross is mad Karrion Kross got fired.
His twitter came up a few days ago on the suggested bar so I clicked on it and this one stuck with me

https://twitter.com/WWEKarrionKross/status/1456051704768700418?cxt=HHwWhIC51fPT97QoAAAA

even the made to order wwe guy (with lovely politics!) that vince dropped the ball on doesn't look unhappy about being fired. how bad is this company?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://twitter.com/ThaBirdmanG/status/1457887434113310727

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Well I'm glad that clears it up

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I am absolutely reeling at the idea of a worked n word.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

His twitter came up a few days ago on the suggested bar so I clicked on it and this one stuck with me

https://twitter.com/WWEKarrionKross/status/1456051704768700418?cxt=HHwWhIC51fPT97QoAAAA

even the made to order wwe guy (with lovely politics!) that vince dropped the ball on doesn't look unhappy about being fired. how bad is this company?

That was before he got fired, wasn’t it?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Seams posted:

Pop culture peaked when I personally was between the ages of 13-21.

Same

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

That was before he got fired, wasn’t it?
gently caress you're right, for some reason I saw it as Nov 4th

So they let him go home and then fired him, oh wwe, just keep being wwe

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/IAmGenuineOne/status/1457729566567436291?t=43Ee5mfoo0bpeCZ_RQKhNQ&s=19

he was given a plumber character and he was entertaining. that's all I want.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Is this Bruce Prichard's burner account?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TheKingslayer posted:

I am absolutely reeling at the idea of a worked n word.

Excalibur did this too.

Also saying Stone Cold wasn't a great wrestler doesn't get wrestler. Also pre-broken neck Austin exists.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

pop culture was never good, adorno was right

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yes please give me the fat milkman vs the loud sweaty mailman. Give a guy a UPS driver gimmick and another guy a FedEx driver gimmick and have them feud. Every wrestler's gimmick needs to be their boring-rear end day job or it's just not entertaining.

I grew up during that era too and I loving loathe people who think those gimmicks were the best thing ever.

edit: I'm still just blown away by the number of people who call themselves wrestling fans who literally cannot see the wrestling. They can't tell a good match from a bad one because they're so focused on catchphrases and poses and literally everything else but the story being told in the ring. It reminds me of a former friend who wanted me to teach him how to play Street Fighter 4 back before SF5 was out. We'd sit down and run through some training basics and then run some sets and then I'd give him some things to practice like throwing fireballs. Once he developed some decent fundamentals I started giving him videos to watch. He played Akuma so I sent him videos of top Akuma players and I told him to watch what those players did and try to learn from them. He never once learned anything from those videos. He'd be like "yeah that's pretty cool and I wanna learn that cool combo he did". He was completely blind to the actual game being played beneath all the pretty graphics and colors and stuff. Every time I see one of these cottage cheese brained motherfuckers on twitter saying the dumbest poo poo imaginable about what they think is awesome about wrestling I think about that former Street Fighter friend.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 9, 2021

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Like 80% of those cartoon gimmicks was just Vince humiliating the wrestlers, many of whom were former territory stars getting "put in their place."

People romanticizing that poo poo is so weird to me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I genuinely believe Vince McMahon believes he was helping Dusty with the polka dots.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The whole "they were showmen and nobody's a showman anymore" thing is so wrong I can't even put it into words.

Everyone in The Elite
Everyone in Emi Sakura's stable
Ryo Mizunami
Hikaru Shida
The entire Dark Order
The Acclaimed
Orange Cassidy
Malakai Black
Miro
Cody and his entire family

and that's just off the top of my head. I think these dunces just want their childhood back and while I don't begrudge them for that it gets into the Cornette headspace where they think everything that happened after 1995 wasn't as good as anything that happened when they were kids. And of course they can't just go back and watch all the 80s stuff, they have to whine online too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no you see the goal posts have wheels.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Benne posted:

Like 80% of those cartoon gimmicks was just Vince humiliating the wrestlers, many of whom were former territory stars getting "put in their place."

People romanticizing that poo poo is so weird to me.

they made Von Erich into the Texas Tornado

Ricky Steamboat wearing an actual Dragon outfit

Terry Funk in pantyhose

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

they made Von Erich into the Texas Tornado

Ricky Steamboat wearing an actual Dragon outfit

Terry Funk in pantyhose

Terry Funk also had a chainsaw though which ruled

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elephant Ambush posted:

It reminds me of a former friend who wanted me to teach him how to play Street Fighter 4 back before SF5 was out. We'd sit down and run through some training basics and then run some sets and then I'd give him some things to practice like throwing fireballs. Once he developed some decent fundamentals I started giving him videos to watch. He played Akuma so I sent him videos of top Akuma players and I told him to watch what those players did and try to learn from them. He never once learned anything from those videos. He'd be like "yeah that's pretty cool and I wanna learn that cool combo he did". He was completely blind to the actual game being played beneath all the pretty graphics and colors and stuff. Every time I see one of these cottage cheese brained motherfuckers on twitter saying the dumbest poo poo imaginable about what they think is awesome about wrestling I think about that former Street Fighter friend.

whats your opinion on smash bros

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

whats your opinion on smash bros

I hate it, why

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Elephant Ambush posted:

I hate it, why

just wondering

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

Dick Swiveller posted:

https://twitter.com/IAmGenuineOne/status/1457729566567436291?t=43Ee5mfoo0bpeCZ_RQKhNQ&s=19

he was given a plumber character and he was entertaining. that's all I want.

https://twitter.com/IAmGenuineOne/status/1454083239438602253

this may shock you, but it seems that WWE fans are not exactly paragons of consistency

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Has any considered that possibility that we're all just wrong and that Duke the Dumpster was, in fact, a far better professional wrestler than the likes of Kenny Omega and Bryan Danielson

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Drakkel posted:

Has any considered that possibility that we're all just wrong and that Duke the Dumpster was, in fact, a far better professional wrestler than the likes of Kenny Omega and Bryan Danielson

That guy never said anything about wrestling. He just likes "showmen" who are "entertaining".

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lid posted:

Terry Funk in pantyhose

I Before E posted:

Terry Funk also had a chainsaw though which ruled

Supposedly Chainsaw Charlie was Terry's idea because he thought Vince wouldn't push him without a wacky gimmick.

Which just proves my point really, he wasn't "Vince's guy" and knew exactly what that meant.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lid posted:

Terry Funk in pantyhose

Stupid sexy Funker.

Also Tony Atlas as Saba Simba.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’m probably the biggest new Generation fan on this board and I can assure you that no one was over solely due to a gimmick back then. The people who got over were usually quite talented and likely would have succeeded anyways. Doink was only over when it was Matt Borne under the make-up, once Lombardi or Apollo was in the role that gimmick was death. No one gave a poo poo about Mantaur or TL Hopper and poo poo gimmicks really derailed a lot of careers.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
No idea where I heard it but apparently Vince's original idea for Hulk Hogan was for him to dye his hair red and Bill him as being from Ireland.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
*does a leg drop*

"HE CALLS THAT THE LUCK OF THE IRISH!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gonzo McFee posted:

No idea where I heard it but apparently Vince's original idea for Hulk Hogan was for him to dye his hair red and Bill him as being from Ireland.

It was Vince SR's idea. The Senior McMahon was big on ethnic gimmicks, so he pictured Hogan as an Irish character.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hulk O'gan

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pretty sure Hogan is Irish stereotype enough.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought mantaur was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

The environment working at a Michelin star restaurant is going to have more pressure and anxiety than working at McDonalds.

If AEW is ever lucky enough to get to WWE's level, the same will happen with them. They are still in the "happy to be here" honeymoon phase.