Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

How does that even make any sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Palladium posted:

That's your brain on capitalism

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Palladium posted:

"affordable" is a moving target

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Palladium posted:

55 year mortgages

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/DisneyAPromos/status/1457829425521864712?s=20

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Palladium posted:

serious answer: i assume they bought a house that they could no longer afford and are now scrambling to short sale to unload their toxic mortgage or get whatever equity they can out of it

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Palladium posted:

People just don't want to be able to afford affordable housing anymore :shrug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

lmfao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
it’s true, satire is actually dead

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Are IPO commercials a thing? :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1458091529172660227

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ipos are by default advertised, but they do this with whats called a roadshow: they drag the ceo around to do powerpoints to bankers, the bankers show the powerpoints and nice booklets to plutocrats, the plutocrats make offers

but hertz is doing its listing after private equity bailed it out, so no need for that, thats done already

also they paid real hard attention to the gamestop insanity

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
nothing says explosive growth potential like a car rental company during a pandemic

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

We have way way more nukes than they do, and at least some of them probably still work

I'm sure some air force failson has saved ASCII tits on those launch code floppies by now

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
IPOs, like all significant deals done by men, are done at strip clubs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Initial Penis Offering?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Femur posted:

IPOs, like all significant deals done by men, are done at strip clubs.

they literally do not have time for that

https://www.redfin.com/news/diary-of-an-ipo/

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kreeblah posted:

This hits pretty close to home. I had to have an implanted defibrillator replaced a few months ago (the battery in the old one was dead), and the bill was just under $100k. I had to fight my insurance company for weeks to get them to cough up their part of it, and even then, I had to pay good chunk of it myself. I'm lucky that I was able to afford it, and that I was in a position to get my insurance company to actually pay what they were supposed to, but gently caress this demon cracker nation.

We are altering the deal, pray we do not alter it any further

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Palladium posted:

We're increasing the supply of affordable housing by incentivizing demand for an alternative

Homelessness

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

We're increasing the supply of affordable housing by incentivizing demand for an alternative

Homelessness

Also wooden boxes underground

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m aiming for wooden box but know my family will have to settle for cardboard

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Professor Shark posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

gently caress a box, I wanna burnnnnnn

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress a box, I wanna burnnnnnn
Good news, in a couple of decades you won't even have to die for that

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Splicer posted:

Good news, in a couple of decades you won't even have to die for that

Speak for yourself, I'm gonna have water-cooling

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you already have water cooling, thats what blood is made out of

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress a box

:doit:

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

:hmmyes:

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

And also evaporative cooling!

Anyway, this is a cool chart about Twitch earners. Note that Twitch also requires you to make $100 before they'll pay you anything at all. Real cool economic system!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes, Twitch streamers not earning enough. Truly the issue of our times.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

hmm, yase, exploitative labor practices in a purposefully precarious job are definitely not relevant too capitalism.png. the real issue of our times is how your posts are so bad

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes I agree, thanks for the boost

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Fame Douglas posted:

this is so dumb and you are so stupid for saying it lol.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

still exploitation of workers

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They should get a different job, imo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twitch streamers are young people's idols and being one is a young person's archetypical goal these days. As we know SA is exclusively populated by crotchety over-30's therefore the problems of anyone younger don't matter. Now let's get back to the pressing issue of my generation: how come the cartoons on TV aren't the good ones I watched when I was a kid huh

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Twitch streamers are young people's idols and being one is a young person's archetypical goal these days. As we know SA is exclusively populated by crotchety over-30's therefore the problems of anyone younger don't matter. Now let's get back to the pressing issue of my generation: how come the cartoons on TV aren't the good ones I watched when I was a kid huh

But how is that data collected. I'm a Twitch streamer, meaning I stream for a bit every few months and a couple of my friends watch.

That data would be more representative if it showed how the income is distributed by users actually trying to make money.

To me that graph just fits the expectation that 95% of Twitch users don't even try to make money.

I'm not arguing that these platforms are lovely, but a huge majority of people who create content in Twitch or Youtube do it for their own enjoyment without hopes of money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

But how is that data collected. I'm a Twitch streamer, meaning I stream for a bit every few months and a couple of my friends watch.

That data would be more representative if it showed how the income is distributed by users actually trying to make money.

To me that graph just fits the expectation that 95% of Twitch users don't even try to make money.

I'm not arguing that these platforms are lovely, but a huge majority of people who create content in Twitch or Youtube do it for their own enjoyment without hopes of money.

I mean it explicitly excludes anyone who didn't make any money, according to the note at the bottom. Not really sure how you could filter it for "intent" beyond that. Like don't you have to do some stuff in order to start making money at all? I'd think that kinda implies you're "trying" to make money, even if it's not your primary goal.

Also Jeffy B is definitely making like $10 for every $1 anyone here is earning but that's beside the point.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

lobsterminator posted:

I do think you're right, that there are a ton of users that aren't really trying to make money. Hell, that's where I got the chart from, I hang out with retro gaming dorks who basically just all watch each others' streams and average maybe 10 viewers. What they really don't like about it is that Twitch takes a 50% cut if they want to support their buddies with a sub or a tip. For that large cut, Twitch doesn't really do much of anything to address things like bots going around phishing people or hate raiding minority/LGBTQ streamers.

The source was this WSJ article: https://archive.vn/txDxI

Shame Boy posted:

Like don't you have to do some stuff in order to start making money at all? I'd think that kinda implies you're "trying" to make money, even if it's not your primary goal.

Also Jeffy B is definitely making like $10 for every $1 anyone here is earning but that's beside the point.

Yeah you have to hit "associate" to even be eligible to make money IIRC. To do this you have to meet certain viewership criteria. Then once you start earning money, you have to earn $100 before they'll pay you.

Just lovely that this country allows (I guess more like requires, really) companies to be based primarily off of stolen labor. Like yeah, lots of people just want to do this for fun, but if it explicitly said "We're going to monetize you and not give you anything for it, cool? Also if your friends want to support you, we'll take a huge cut."

Definitely not the worst exploitation in the history of capitalism, but an interesting look into some real numbers at least.

Edit: oops, linked the wrong article

Edit: VV I didn't think you were Pro-Bezos or anything, just kind of expanding on the idea I thought you were getting at. Absolutely support always being skeptical and trying to figure out what a graph is really showing!

Forseti has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Nov 10, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Forseti posted:

I do think you're right, that there are a ton of users that aren't really trying to make money. Hell, that's where I got the chart from, I hang out with retro gaming dorks who basically just all watch each others' streams and average maybe 10 viewers. What they really don't like about it is that Twitch takes a 50% cut if they want to support their buddies with a sub or a tip. For that large cut, Twitch doesn't really do much of anything to address things like bots going around phishing people or hate raiding minority/LGBTQ streamers.

The source was this WSJ article: https://archive.vn/txDxI

Yeah you have to hit "associate" to even be eligible to make money IIRC. To do this you have to meet certain viewership criteria. Then once you start earning money, you have to earn $100 before they'll pay you.

Just lovely that this country allows (I guess more like requires, really) companies to be based primarily off of stolen labor. Like yeah, lots of people just want to do this for fun, but if it explicitly said "We're going to monetize you and not give you anything for it, cool? Also if your friends want to support you, we'll take a huge cut."

Definitely not the worst exploitation in the history of capitalism, but an interesting look into some real numbers at least.

Edit: oops, linked the wrong article

Yeah like I didn't want to sound pro-Amazon. They are still probably making money even from the casual streamers. It would just be nice to see some kind of stats that separated the people who actually try to make money/living from Twitch and how it relates to the hours they put in. It is a pretty impossible thing to do without Amazon sharing the data, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

World War Mammories posted:

hmm, yase, exploitative labor practices in a purposefully precarious job are definitely not relevant too capitalism.png. the real issue of our times is how your posts are so bad

because it's high-ignore-list-ranking user Lambert's alt