Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Armacham posted:

I've been the man on the street for at least three local NPR stories in the past 12 years because I know a guy.
There's probably a Q conspiracy about you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Armacham posted:

I've been the man on the street for at least three local NPR stories in the past 12 years because I know a guy.

Nobody wants to hear about your hooking side gig

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Volmarias posted:

Was the guy in the street too?

Yeah, but a freak in the sheets

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This new thread title has traumatically perforated my funnybone

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

canyoneer posted:

I have a 2008 Honda Fit that I love and barely drive anymore (working from home, aww yiss). It's parked outside and starting to look a little ragged with sunbleached paint and some dings. It's also the lowest lifetime total cost of ownership car I've ever had. Little old man sips gas, costs almost nothing to insure, and I've done every repair by myself.

That car rocks, my first one was a Fit (Jazz in Europe) that my mother gifted to me during university. Looks tiny from the outside but quite spacious.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/JackShawhan/status/1457951413368016899?s=20

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

God, please let this be real.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
self post kind of. More of a commentary on how crazy the car market is right now.

So we keep a financial spreadsheet with numbers in it. One thing we update once a year or so is value of big assets like cars, just to keep track of where we are because we have loans on them. Went to update them and they're worth WAY more than they used to be according to KBB. One of them being a brand new car which is, today, worth $5k more than its MSRP (which was like $4k more than we paid for it).

Which made me wonder about our old car we sold a year ago. We let it go for like $4,300, when we could have easily gotten closer to $5k. Just wanted to be done with it since it had been sitting and we were paying insurance on it.

KBB says it's worth about $6k private party now.

Not that hanging on to it for another year was feasible, but drat... I knew things were bad, but not THAT bad.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Googled his company and found this:
https://www.benzinga.com/markets/cryptocurrency/21/09/23044041/exclusive-how-bloot-is-taking-a-unique-approach-to-the-nft-markets

quote:

The rest of the team seemed to think there was a parody aspect to the project, highlighted by the project description on OpenSea: "It's basically worthless."

:hmmyes:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Nigerian artist Abdulrahman Yusuf used to sell his work online but in May he was introduced to non-fungible tokens (NFTs), which he said presented "life-changing opportunities" and has increased the number of pieces he can sell at higher prices.

quote:

NFTs are a type of digital asset which use blockchain to record the ownership of items such as images, videos and other collectibles. Their roaring popularity has baffled many but the explosive growth shows no sign of abating.

And African artists like Yusuf are increasingly using NFTs, where the buyer has the status of being the official owner - a kind of digital bragging rights.

quote:

Yusef says that he has no idea why the sale price of his work increases 19,900% when sold as an NFT, but that he is now selling all of his work as NFTs to mostly foreign buyers.

quote:

Yusuf, who lives in Nigeria's commercial capital Lagos, said he had sold 44 digital works on various NFT platforms since joining in May under the name 'Arclight'.

"There are life-changing opportunities on the NFT platforms. People who have been selling their artworks for 200 (U.S.) dollars just wake up and see their works sold for 40,000 dollars," Yusuf, 24, told Reuters at his home studio.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 9, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nice to see the rich taxing themselves but there's surely a better way to do it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Was the guy in the street too?

Guy in the streets, source in the (newspaper) sheets

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

NFTs.. good?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Residency Evil posted:

They are real tweets but the poster is just trolling.
NFTs are obviously a joke, but I can't complain about the general crypto bro->artist value flow it is causing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

gvibes posted:

NFTs are obviously a joke, but I can't complain about the general crypto bro->artist value flow it is causing.

Except it's really not, most artists who are minting NFTs are losing money because you have to pay ($100-200 are the numbers I've seen most often) to make something an NFT. Also just because something resells for $40k doesn't mean the artist is seeing any of that, mostly because it's probably just the person who bought it originally reselling it to themself to try and juice the price.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

njsykora posted:

Except it's really not, most artists who are minting NFTs are losing money because you have to pay ($100-200 are the numbers I've seen most often) to make something an NFT. Also just because something resells for $40k doesn't mean the artist is seeing any of that, mostly because it's probably just the person who bought it originally reselling it to themself to try and juice the price.

Artists should make alt accounts to buy their own art at elevated prices to juice their work imo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just scrolled over my Facebook feed, to run into some ad with Matt Damon. Apparently that dude is doing work for crypto.com now. And I'm surprised why I keep hearing people IRL talking about Bitcoin, NFTs and poo poo, if they're ramping up their campaigns with movie stars.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just scrolled over my Facebook feed, to run into some ad with Matt Damon. Apparently that dude is doing work for crypto.com now. And I'm surprised why I keep hearing people IRL talking about Bitcoin, NFTs and poo poo, if they're ramping up their campaigns with movie stars.

The Last Duel could have been settled on the blockchain!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ahw right ahw right ahw right ahw right

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OctaMurk posted:

Artists should make alt accounts to buy their own art at elevated prices to juice their work imo

This is kind of an annoyingly long twitter thread, but it's definitely something people are doing.
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1457749433844568066

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

https://twitter.com/foone/status/1457752225405571077?s=21

borkchan

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Residency Evil posted:

Ahhhahaha. Tropo is my IRL friend I've referenced a few times. He's one of the biggest NFT proponents in the world and genuinely, unironically believes they are superior to real estate by every conceivable metric

He is doing that thing where you pretend to be stupid and then when people think "wow this guy is stupid" he can say "gotcha idiot, I was just pretending. Owned much!"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ahhhahaha. Tropo is my IRL friend I've referenced a few times. He's one of the biggest NFT proponents in the world and genuinely, unironically believes they are superior to real estate by every conceivable metric

He is doing that thing where you pretend to be stupid and then when people think "wow this guy is stupid" he can say "gotcha idiot, I was just pretending. Owned much!"

Yeah but if he genuinely believes that NFTs are superior to real estate then maybe hes not pretending

Imo

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sorry what is the pretending part?

Also re: used cars: I bought a 2016 Mazda 3 in late 2015 for $18.5k, paid like $90 in interest over the 3 year loan, then sold it this spring for $14k. It had body damage that would have cost me $6k at retail to fix (obviously less if someone fixes it closer to cost). It's mental out there, I'm glad I don't have to worry about buying anything for a couple years yet. But it'll probably be new when I do, because there is no point to me in buying a used car for the foreseeable future if things keep up like this.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BonerGhost posted:

It's mental out there, I'm glad I don't have to worry about buying anything for a couple years yet. But it'll probably be new when I do, because there is no point to me in buying a used car for the foreseeable future if things keep up like this.

It's CRAZY

The only reason to buy used right now is if you want a specific car that isn't in production anymore.

I've had a 2022 car on order for about 3 months, and the dealer emailed me last week with an offer to write me a check for $8k if I just walk away and let them sell it to someone else for an even larger markup

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah but if he genuinely believes that NFTs are superior to real estate then maybe hes not pretending

BonerGhost posted:

Sorry what is the pretending part?

I mean...yeah... sometimes we have friends with Bad Opinions but what can you do

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

The rental industry is hosed as well. I needed to rent a cargo van next month, but fedex and amazon rented ALL vans in ny, nj, and ct.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah next month is shipping peak. You should always be prepared for that

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

It's not just that, it's been this whole past year or so. I work for a place that leases out semi trailers and we're normally at somewhere between 60-80% of our trailers out on lease. This entire year we've been at like 99%. If your trailer breaks down and you'd rather swap it out then wait for repairs? Get lost, we have NOTHING to swap it out with. If you're looking to set up a lease you get laughed off the phone. It's crazy.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
GGGC has come up with enough thread titles that perhaps he should monetize his posts NFTs imho. "Implications of an eight digit gift" re: that octopus story a while back would be a good one

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Do it GGGC!

Also, I just started my gap year, so feel free to take my old job.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah next month is shipping peak. You should always be prepared for that

I got the last of my Christmas presents delivered earlier today. My years at UPS drilled into me the knowledge that I should absolutely never ship anything in the period beginning a week before Thanksgiving and ending the week after New Years Day.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

All my major Xmas stuff is ordered except for.my wife but we spent a lot of money on sports tickets so we are probably having a light Christmas between us. I need to get on the rest of my shopping

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Borkchan with monkeys

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tater_salad posted:

All my major Xmas stuff is ordered except for.my wife but we spent a lot of money on sports tickets so we are probably having a light Christmas between us. I need to get on the rest of my shopping

Nothing like waking up early on xmas morning, going downstairs to unwrap a wife you rush-ordered

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cacafuego posted:

Nothing like waking up early on xmas morning, going downstairs to unwrap a wife you rush-ordered
tater_salad gives a sigh of relief as the evergiven breaks free

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

saw this posted elsewhere

https://twitter.com/wolfofwallst/status/1457785625130663941?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i never watched Wolf

is it self aware at all

cuz a lot of people scarfacing about it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

I don't even know what's real anymore.

Reading through the replies, there's people asking for help with NFTs, or trying to peddle their own NFTs (or other crypto garbage).

I can't tell who is genuine, who is trolling, who actually thinks their art is great and that NFTs are the next best thing, and who is churning out garbage bullshit art to sell as NFTs and get rich quick before the NFT bubble bursts.

The internet has broken me and made me far too cynical

or not cynical enough.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Alan Smithee posted:

i never watched Wolf

is it self aware at all

cuz a lot of people scarfacing about it

The 1994 movie Wolf starring Jack Nicholson? It's a ridiculous Boomer power fantasy about how a man in his late 50s is clearly stronger, more intelligent, and more sexually virile than these young upstarts who are trying to replace him.

If you mean Wolf of Wall Street, it's Goodfellas but with the finance sector. Tries really hard to make the obvious villain at its core a villain, but is too bowled over by his charisma to really pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It's a movie where the obvious bad guy is charismatic so people go "oh he's the good guy" despite you know, his actions.

Also see: Fight Club, Rick and Morty, Breaking Bad, etc