Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

Without attempting to deduce his (somewhat transparent) opinion on the case, is it uncommon for judges to act this way, or is this just sensationalism latching onto a typical element of a trial and blowing it out of proportion?

Specifically, I’ve seen a lot around the judge allowing the accused’s victims to be called “arsonists” in the absence of any charges/conviction, not allowing the victims to be called “victims,” allowing the defense to use racial slurs in court, and the judge giving the jury an extended Bible lesson from the bench.

Also, the judge is allowing in a bunch of previous behavior of the defendant that's favorable to the defendant, but not a lot of previous behavior that's unfavorable to him.

You can safely assume that if a black person who crossed state lines with an illegal gun shot some white people under similar circumstances, and by some miracle of direct divine intervention actually lived long enough to be put on trial, it would be an open-and-shut capital murder case because the murders were committed in the course of committing another felony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

Without attempting to deduce his (somewhat transparent) opinion on the case, is it uncommon for judges to act this way, or is this just sensationalism latching onto a typical element of a trial and blowing it out of proportion?

Specifically, I’ve seen a lot around the judge allowing the accused’s victims to be called “arsonists” in the absence of any charges/conviction, not allowing the victims to be called “victims,” allowing the defense to use racial slurs in court, and the judge giving the jury an extended Bible lesson from the bench.

Like BigHead said, its pretty standard stuff that springs from the presumption of innocence, and I just read the "bible lesson" and its far more innocuous than headlines suggest, IMO. The judge was explaining hearsay to the jury about disregarding un-examined statements on recorded video:

quote:

"So, this person who's describing this," Schroeder said of the editorialization in the initial part of the video. It was the long way of explaining to ignore the first part of the video and only pay attention to the part with Rittenhouse.

That's when he went off on the biblical treatise.

"This is actually referred to in the Bible," the judge said. "Saint Paul, when he was put on trial . . . in . . . I think it's Caesarea — well, it was over in Palestine — uh, in Israel — he was . . . accused of some activity. And he was a Roman citizen, which is not common, but he happened to have been a Roman citizen. So, he had rights that we share now as Americans. Uh, and — he — when they tried to put him on trial with evidence from — which was being repeated by somebody who wasn't there and under oath — he said, 'where are the witnesses against me? I am a Roman, and I have a right to confront my accusers. They should be here.' And so that led to, actually, his voyage to Rome to have his case heard before the Emperor. Um, so it's an ancient rule; it's strictly, strictly enforced in the criminal courts for very obvious reasons. Um, and, um, so — that's what we're talking about here. And, um — so — if the person who is making this descriptive material is here and can be put under oath and can be cross-examined, uh, then it's admissible, but otherwise, it is not admissible through the officer here."

Again, a little weird, but not as outlandish as I think its being portrayed in the media.

Grand Fromage posted:

Not sure why this thread is so spicy at the moment but this is not a shitposting forum.

Bad news for Phil.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Bad news for Phil.
Not for Governor Phil Murphy no.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Thanatosian posted:

You can safely assume that if a black person who crossed state lines with an illegal gun shot some white people under similar circumstances, and by some miracle of direct divine intervention actually lived long enough to be put on trial, it would be an open-and-shut capital murder case because the murders were committed in the course of committing another felony.

Maybe, but it should be noted that this trial isn't the race-inverted version of your hypothetical - both the shooter and shootees are white.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Couldn't the ex-wife just write a check back to the ex-spouse for the same amount?

EDIT: Actually, I would assume child support payment is gender neutral and if one spouse is female and a high earning neurosurgeon while the other is a male and earns minimum wage at the cracker factory, the wife would pay child support. But maybe that's a bad assumption on my part.
The major part you're missing is custody. If the neurosurgeon (any gender) has 100% custody, then the Walmart clerk (any gender) would be paying child support appropriate to their income and the neurosurgeon wouldn't. Vice versa if the clerk had custody. If the custody is 50/50, at least in NYS, then the income is the tiebreaker (higher earner owes it).

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Sonic Dude posted:

does that... help? I feel like if I was a criminal defendant I would not want my lawyer using slurs in court

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Over here we just say "complainant" instead of "victim". Victim is an incredibly loaded word, complainant describes precisely the person's role in the case.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

does that... help? I feel like if I was a criminal defendant I would not want my lawyer using slurs in court

After some cursory searching it looks like this is related the video of a previous confrontation between Rittenhouse and Rosenbaum where the phrase "Shoot me, [word in question]" was deployed. I'm not a lawyer, but as a courtroom tactic it makes sense to emphasize that the other guy was a slur-user against your guy.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Captain von Trapp posted:

After some cursory searching it looks like this is related the video of a previous confrontation between Rittenhouse and Rosenbaum where the phrase "Shoot me, [word in question]" was deployed. I'm not a lawyer, but as a courtroom tactic it makes sense to emphasize that the other guy was a slur-user against your guy.

okay well if that's what was being referred to then "allowing the defense to use racial slurs in court" seems a pretty misleading description

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 5, 2021

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

blarzgh posted:

Like BigHead said, its pretty standard stuff that springs from the presumption of innocence, and I just read the "bible lesson" and its far more innocuous than headlines suggest, IMO. The judge was explaining hearsay to the jury about disregarding un-examined statements on recorded video:

Again, a little weird, but not as outlandish as I think its being portrayed in the media.

Bad news for Phil.

Yeah I mean it only draws an obvious parallel between a Christian hero and Rittenhouse. So no problem whatsoever. Oh and Paul is widely believed to have been acquitted so again the obvious conclusion is that the judge is comparing Rittenhouse to someone who was innocent.

So yeah not prejudicial at all.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

okay well if that's what was being referred to then "allowing the defense to use racial slurs in court" seems a pretty misleading description

Yeah, the social media portrayal of the judge is more extreme than I think the facts warrant in this case.

See,

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah I mean it only draws an obvious parallel between a Christian hero and Rittenhouse. So no problem whatsoever. Oh and Paul is widely believed to have been acquitted so again the obvious conclusion is that the judge is comparing Rittenhouse to someone who was innocent.

So yeah not prejudicial at all.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay this cross examination is fantastic. This murder trial has somehow gone down the rabbit hole as to whether a witness is the most complete failson ever or has been caught out in fraud.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Thanks for the detailed replies. It seems like most of it is media bluster, but I still get the sense that the judge has a preferred outcome.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I've been watching a few of Andrew Flushe Attorny at Law videos lately.

In this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAHeR8M1U6M

It is about a guy driving 162MPH on his own rural property on a 4 mile long driveway/private road. This is in Texas. I'm guessing he is a Virginia lawyer because he says, "If this was in Virginia - a charge of going 162 on private property - that's a case a judge could put you in jail for".

What Virginia law would that person be breaking?

For some clarification, the driveway is behind a locked gate with "No Tresspassing" signs on it.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
There are something like 15+ specific code sections addressing different things that are considered reckless driving in Virginia. They're all punishable by jail time. They're in 46.2 Chapter 8 Article 7.

"Code of Virginia Code - Article 7. Reckless Driving and Improper Driving" https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodefull/title46.2/chapter8/article7/

Most of them specify that they only apply on highways. I'm not a lawyer and not familiar enough with case law to know which might specifically apply. Depending on the type of property, could be 46.2-864 "Reckless Driving on parking lots, etc."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Wills question, though not exactly estate planning. Let's say that I'm am the relative of someone with enough money to make a will from a prestigious law firm actually relevant. Sadly, they die when a meteor lands on their (currently occupied) home, also obliterating their local copy of the will, but not their tremendous fortune made in their bean sales enterprise. The coroner pronounces the remaining teeth to be dead, etc.

Assuming I think I'm possibly an executor, how would I figure out what was in the will, who the law firm was with a copy filed, etc? Would the firm potentially reach out to me? Would I need to call around?

I'm sure this depends state to state and the real answer is "find an estate lawyer where your are and ask them," but I'm curious how common provisions like these are.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Volmarias posted:

Wills question, though not exactly estate planning. Let's say that I'm am the relative of someone with enough money to make a will from a prestigious law firm actually relevant. Sadly, they die when a meteor lands on their (currently occupied) home, also obliterating their local copy of the will, but not their tremendous fortune made in their bean sales enterprise. The coroner pronounces the remaining teeth to be dead, etc.

Assuming I think I'm possibly an executor, how would I figure out what was in the will, who the law firm was with a copy filed, etc? Would the firm potentially reach out to me? Would I need to call around?

I'm sure this depends state to state and the real answer is "find an estate lawyer where your are and ask them," but I'm curious how common provisions like these are.

This is why you need a fireproof safe.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is why you need a fireproof safe.

The meteor has obliterated the safe, which while fireproof, was not meteor proof.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My dad died without a will. He may have had one, but I had no idea where it was and no idea what law firm would've made it. My estate lawyer checked to see if it was filed anywhere and couldn't find it. So, it was filed with probate court as an estate without a will and naming me as administrator. Once the court approved it, the lack of a will didn't matter, estate choices were up to me.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Call the law firm that prepared the will. If you don't know who did and truly have no clues to follow, qualify as a curator or intestate administrator and comb their bank statements and credit card bills for payments to a law firm. An estate lawyer can also be an access point to the estate planning community - it's not uncommon to see attorneys on our state elder law listserv send out email blasts to the effect of "any of y'all do a will for jim bob? he died and beneficiaries don't have a copy"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Executed Wills are usually kept in the law firm in a fire proof safe

Tho not meteor proof

You can also file wills with the register of wills

This is all Pennsylvania law

You used to be able to give your wills to the Vestal virgins who kept it safe in the basement of the temple of Jupiter but that was a while ago

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

My dad died without a will. He may have had one, but I had no idea where it was and no idea what law firm would've made it. My estate lawyer checked to see if it was filed anywhere and couldn't find it. So, it was filed with probate court as an estate without a will and naming me as administrator. Once the court approved it, the lack of a will didn't matter, estate choices were up to me.

At what point is the matter finalized and finding a will wouldn't matter? After the executor files in probate court or does the estate have to closed?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

asur posted:

At what point is the matter finalized and finding a will wouldn't matter? After the executor files in probate court or does the estate have to closed?

That a lawyer would have to answer, I dunno. I think once the estate is closed it wouldn't matter if you found a will?

I also don't know how it complicates things if there are multiple inheritors. I'm an only child so everything was easy, the probate court doesn't sweat the details when there's only one person inheriting everything.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 6, 2021

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
States have a time period after which the fiduciary is no longer personally liable and neither are the beneficiaries - so like if the will was found five years later and the estate had long since been distributed, the beneficiary has little recourse for assets already distributed, but future assets passing through the estate could pass to them. Things like royalties, the decedent inheriting from other estates, niche things like reparations (I have one estate that was opened almost 70 years ago and remains active because it receives holocaust reparations which then filter down through several generations of estates to the living beneficiaries)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, here that was six months from the date of death. All the creditors that showed up after that got a polite letter telling them to gently caress off.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

NYS commercial (retail) lease. Furnace is dead. Tenant paid $300+ already for a repair that apparently did not solve the problem.

Tenant is worried they are responsible to replace the entire furnace if it comes to that. Tenant is vacating the premises in about 8 months.

Looking at the lease I can't figure out what their responsibility is. Any advice?

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 8, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sleepy gary posted:

Looking at the lease I can't figure out what their responsibility is. Any advice?

Get an attorney

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Burning trash is a super green way to heat your business!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sleepy gary posted:

NYS commercial (retail) lease. Furnace is dead. Tenant paid $300+ already for a repair that apparently did not solve the problem.

Tenant is worried they are responsible to replace the entire furnace if it comes to that. Tenant is vacating the premises in about 8 months.

Yeah you need a lawyer, dude. Too many local specifics.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Gonna have to pay a lawyer money to even read that sorry rear end font

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

If a relative gets arrested in another state and charged with a felony, and they call you and you need to help them lawyer up, is there a good way to go about finding a criminal defense attorney that fits their case and budget? Is it just a matter of contacting someone at the local bar association and getting a referral?
How does one go about with lawyering up?

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 9, 2021

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

FAT BATMAN posted:

If a relative gets arrested in another state and charged with a felony, and they call you and you need to help them lawyer up, is there a good way to go about finding a criminal defense attorney that fits their case and budget? Is it just a matter of contacting someone at the local bar association and getting a referral?

Is this in Texas? Please say it is in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJCH1gk3D8s

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

Probably the local bar but also, you know, public defender.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

What could be the result of ignoring a jury summons, in oh say, los Angeles county? If a hypothetical person would presumably prefer to not spend 8 hours huffing covid farts

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tom kite posted:

What could be the result of ignoring a jury summons, in oh say, los Angeles county? If a hypothetical person would presumably prefer to not spend 8 hours huffing covid farts

A black 15 year old being tried as an adult in a capital murder case gets an all white chud jury.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Or, from a more self-interested perspective, the judge issues a bench warrant and your next police encounter is much more exciting than you expected.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

tom kite posted:

You then get a different kind of summons, lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tom kite posted:

The slow erosion of any further chance to fairness in the justice system.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

tom kite posted:

Getting gunned down by the cops in your home when they do a pre dawn no knock raid to bring you to the venire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Go do jury duty you rear end