Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they should have cops fly the helicopters in movies too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
all movies are now made by cops only. cops as actors. cops man the camera.

thanks, obama

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

yes. Yes!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Alright, ready, 3..2..1.. shoot. *dozens of cops around set pull out guns and start blasting*

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

StrangersInTheNight posted:

this is such a dumb take considering that accident also came with a wave of crew members calling for more safety on sets and this accident was a prime example of how movie sets constantly break the rules just to get the shot

it's almost like....the people who work in these conditions....are the ones more equipped to comment on if they're safe or not, over some guy who read wikipedia/saw a 2020 special

Yes, and that's good -- more safety regulations (and more enforcement, following of, etc) is good -- but no one called for the ending of using helicopters in movies. That's the very obvious point I was making.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'look, helicopters don't kill people, people kill people. seems like only 2 people I know of have died, so who cares? You pussies wanna use NERF guns!'

And yes, literally only 2 people have died from gun-related accidents on movie sets in 30 years. The second of those two died last month. That's an amazing safety record, safer than fuckin airplanes, and means that when you follow the rules, things are fine.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
im calling for an end to using helicopters to convey retired nba all stars

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dynastocles posted:

Yes, and that's good -- more safety regulations (and more enforcement, following of, etc) is good -- but no one called for the ending of using helicopters in movies. That's the very obvious point I was making.

Helicopters, like all heavier than air craft, are an affront to God and man and should be banned.

There, now somebody called for it.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Aardvark! posted:

im calling for an end to using helicopters to convey retired nba all stars

We need to subpoena the armorer’s therapy records

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Helicopters, like all heavier than air craft, are an affront to God and man and should be banned.

There, now somebody called for it.

Now do motorcycles.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

They should make the cops check for spiders as well

Pretty sure sheriff's deputies should be coaching the grips on ways to lift and hold heavy items without injuring their backs.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Amarcarts posted:

It's crazy because this is the first time this type of incident has happened in the digital mass media era. I don't think a lot of people realize how much this is going to be burned into collective memory even more so than previous film industry accidents. I wonder if it will even have a subtle effect on actors' performances. The phrase "cold gun!" still has to be used when filming scenes with guns so basically anytime from now on you see a scene with a gun in it you can safely assume that all the actors just got triggered into remembering "Red October".

Except when a good armorer/AD calls cold gun they take 10 seconds to hold up the empty gun with a clearing rod through the barrel and chamber, then check and load each fake bullet with the actors watching them, so nobody is worried.

Also lol that Alec’s response to someone getting killed because a live bullet made its way on set, was to say cops should bring guns and live bullets onto every set, presumably to make him look less bad by comparison

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dynastocles posted:

And yes, literally only 2 people have died from gun-related accidents on movie sets in 30 years. The second of those two died last month. That's an amazing safety record, safer than fuckin airplanes, and means that when you follow the rules, things are fine.

"I can't properly achieve climax when masturbating to a gunfight unless I know that I am seeing real muzzle flashes! Anything less than real guns is inferior and two deaths is a small price to pay to avoid loving CGI!!!"

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

teardrop posted:

Except when a good armorer/AD calls cold gun they take 10 seconds to hold up the empty gun with a clearing rod through the barrel and chamber, then check and load each fake bullet with the actors watching them, so nobody is worried.

Also lol that Alec’s response to someone getting killed because a live bullet made its way on set, was to say cops should bring guns and live bullets onto every set, presumably to make him look less bad by comparison

i think its very brave of alec baldwin to try and normalize people getting shot to death on set

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Alec Baldwin is actually a giant spider

They should make the cops check for spiders as well

Fuckin lmao

https://people.com/movies/rust-crew-member-trying-save-arm-amputation-after-spider-bite-on-set/

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
oh my god this movie truly is cursed. maybe the set is on an ancient indian burial ground that the executive producers dug up and then reburied everyone upside down for the fema money

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Production of Rust is currently doing everything in its power to deflect blame and somehow throw the camera department under the bus at the same time. Baldwin calling for cops to handle firearms is the worst possible idea, and he absolutely knows this, but it implies the safety protocols we use on sets now aren't good enough so that's why it all went horribly wrong, not because production cheaped out on the armorer job. A good armorer knows a lot more about gun safety than cops, not to mention they handle tons of different weapons that no cop would have experience with.

The safety protocols that we use right now are ridiculously strict and good, it only goes wrong when a production decides to skip them and go their own way which is partially why the camera department walked in the first place. A producer came out and said the camera crew were "not aware of the safety protocols the production was using", a total bullshit statement but again meant to imply that production was, in fact, being safe but those pesky camera people simply didn't "get" it. Of course ignoring the fact that by claiming this, the production person also admitted they didn't actually hold any safety briefings (which are explicitly to make everyone aware of the safety protocols being used), which was one of the major reasons the crew walked off in the first place. No idea why that producer thought that was a smart thing to admit.

Also these safety protocols aren't exactly a closely guarded Hollywood secret, they're rammed into you on any production that uses firearms and there's even special union training days specifically to teach crews about how weapons should be handled on set so everyone knows what to look for and if something doesn't feel right. So it's very likely the, quite experienced, camera crew probably knew more about correct safety procedures than the armorer, the AD, and production. Which, again, is why they sounded the alarm in the first place.

I tried to defend Alec for the longest time, cause he always seemed to be on the crew's side, but the statements he's been putting out have made it very clear he was absolutely a very involved producer and is now trying to sway public opinion to make production seem like victims in this while throwing the camera department, and actual experienced armorers, under the bus. It's easy to be on the crew's side when you have no stake in how it turns out.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Alec is rich and therefore lovely and evil just like the rest of them. Surprised people are still confused by this.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

There was a brown recluse in the chamber

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

alec isn't really rich by real rich person standards. only 60 million dollar net worth. he's still too poor to be inducted into the shadow council.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Don't ever let Alec on a helicopter, he will become unstoppable

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Mulaney Power Move posted:

alec isn't really rich by real rich person standards. only 60 million dollar net worth. he's still too poor to be inducted into the shadow council.

He’s building his application, though — recently earned his Murder a Working Class badge, now he’s singing the virtues of cops.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Is 60 mil enough to turn yourself into a human-spider hybrid? Maybe

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
someone post whatever his dumbass daughter Ireland wrote about travis Scott and her cool dad

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

"I can't properly achieve climax when masturbating to a gunfight unless I know that I am seeing real muzzle flashes! Anything less than real guns is inferior and two deaths is a small price to pay to avoid loving CGI!!!"

Lol, 96% of film set deaths are caused by something other than guns. Better ban all cars, boats, pulley systems, heavy cameras, filming in cold weather, filming on mountains, and stunts too!

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

helicopters killed Colin McRae as well so gently caress helicopters

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

helicopters killed Colin McRae as well so gently caress helicopters

Kobe too.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

they really are dicks

also spiders are dicks, and they kind of look like helicopter blades with all their legs and whatnot

its all coming together

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

There was a brown recluse in the chamber

A dropped a brown recluse in the chamber not 20 minutes ago.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Dynastocles posted:

this doesn't work in your favor when the number should be zero. there's no amount of acceptable losses on movie sets from guns. this is essentially what you're arguing - the risk is so low, it's acceptable losses. gently caress no.

welcome to the thread, where people have been long pointing out that it's not just about the tool being used, but a culture of risk-taking that exists on movie sets that won't ever fully disappear. sometimes it's a gun, sometimes it's a helicopter, the reasons why are pretty much the same, management taking risks to save money. for guns, the easiest and clearest way to fully eliminate this particular risk is just to have no real guns.

a question that still has yet to be answered by the crowd so insistent in real guns on sets: why does it matter to you so much to have real guns on set?

or do you just want to insist that people are over-reacting to your perceived risk assessment? in which case here's some confetti, maybe we are over-reacting, but I'd rather keep people safe than dead. In the guns on sets debate, I'll take the 'over-reacting to save lives' side over the 'eh it's only a handful of deaths!' side, thanks.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 9, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just stop making movies imo, who needs em?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

If that guy had a gun, that spider would have hosed right off instead of biting him

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

LuckyCat posted:

A dropped a brown recluse in the chamber not 20 minutes ago.

Lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Alec Baldwin and Jim Acosta are gonna team up for the buddy picture of a lifetime (because they’re going to kill you)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Keep guns on sets, ban bullets. Issue resolved. Next.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
stunt arses should be banned

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Actors should be banned. We can cgi those too

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
imo we can point cameras at people and have them do things to entertain us while killing zero of the people around the camera

that's my hot take

like sometimes people will die for unrelated reasons like illness or whatever, but i'm pretty sure it's possible to not do things that kill people like point guns at them or have them jump off spiders motorcycles or whatever for the sole purpose of having it happen in front of a camera

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dynastocles posted:

it's probably a hell of a lot easier to edit muzzle flashes in than it is to CGI a helicopter

for that matter, they already can and do make prop guns that kick and make light and noise but aren't capable of discharging projectiles,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ChubbyChecker posted:

stunt arses should be banned

misread this as sex arses and almost had a meltdown :sexarse::sexarse::sexarse: