Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kwisatz Jizzerack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just saw a post stating that the Sardaukar are actually speaking English, just a version of it that's brutally attenuated and has had lots of syllables stripped out. i kind of noticed it when he said "emperor" but didn't make the connection.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

uber_stoat posted:

just saw a post stating that the Sardaukar are actually speaking English, just a version of it that's brutally attenuated and has had lots of syllables stripped out. i kind of noticed it when he said "emperor" but didn't make the connection.

they are bred for perfect throat chanting ability and they just gotta figure out how to talk through their gnarly vocal cords

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ror posted:

they are bred for perfect throat chanting ability and they just gotta figure out how to talk through their gnarly vocal cords

Sardaukar Throat GOATs?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

I figured the chanter and the sardaukar leader that piter speaks to on salusa secundus were speaking different languages because they sound completely unlike each other

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what an absurdly low estimate in this era of cheap idle money

it'll go for at least 15 times that

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I rewatched the miniseries, first time since it aired.
It's quite good. I mean ignoring some of the acting and production and bad CGI and low budget sets and directing, narratively I think it a better adaptation of the novel than Dunc was. It had lots of the little touches Dunc stripped out that shows more humanity, more to the characters, and more to the universe and Arrakis especially than just 3 or 4 armies fighting each other.
I also think their version of the voice was better than Dunc.
The voice as described in the novel would just sound like "these aren't the droids you're looking for" so I get the adaptations have to do something different, but Dunc was a bit over the top, especially with Jessica commanding the three guys in the ship.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

stratdax posted:

It's quite good. I mean ignoring some of the acting and production and bad CGI and low budget sets and directing, narratively I think it a better adaptation of the novel than Dunc was. It had lots of the little touches Dunc stripped out that shows more humanity, more to the characters, and more to the universe and Arrakis especially than just 3 or 4 armies fighting each other.

It has the advantage of time, being a TV series and not a film, which allows it to go deeper and spend more time fleshing out the politics and tertiary characters. I would suspect this is a side effect of the medium and not necessarily any credit to the skill of the writers, but I haven't seen the series.

quote:

The voice as described in the novel would just sound like "these aren't the droids you're looking for" so I get the adaptations have to do something different, but Dunc was a bit over the top, especially with Jessica commanding the three guys in the ship.

sure but, hear me out, it sounds badass

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

kalel posted:

It has the advantage of time, being a TV series and not a film, which allows it to go deeper and spend more time fleshing out the politics and tertiary characters. I would suspect this is a side effect of the medium and not necessarily any credit to the skill of the writers, but I haven't seen the series.

It will have less running time than Dunc part 1 + 2.
The pacing is wonky in a couple parts but if it was as long as the movies will be when finished it would have gone a long way to smoothing those out.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 9, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the scene in the thopter goes a long way toward helping you understand why people call them witches. scary scary witches.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
(Cross post from boardgame thread):

I'm playing Dune again this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for either snacks I could make, or just general props?

I made a couple of sandworm cakes in the past, and last time the dude playing emperor bought some tassel epaulets and a "prom king" sash, that was pretty hilarious.

We're pretty far down the golden path at this point, so no reference is too obscure, I don't think. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly be playing Bene Gesserit!

I think I asked this before and someone suggested some blue drink as the water of life, this is a great idea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

!Klams posted:

I'm playing Dune again this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for either snacks I could make, or just general props?

I made a couple of sandworm cakes in the past, and last time the dude playing emperor bought some tassel epaulets and a "prom king" sash, that was pretty hilarious.

We're pretty far down the golden path at this point, so no reference is too obscure, I don't think. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly be playing Bene Gesserit!

I think I asked this before and someone suggested some blue drink as the water of life, this is a great idea.

You could make some gingerbread cake and say it is spice cake. That would be pretty nice. I always imagine spice tasting like ginger. I dunno why.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
get some fancy glass vials and fill them with cinnamon and food grade glitter. spice ampoules. sprinkle it on your cake or put it in coffee. make fremen spit tea with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've made punch with edible glitter and it's a lot of fun.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Impericole Slawdaukar.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Guannamole.

e: Crushed bug juice boxes

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Spice is obviously powdered Carolina reaper

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

!Klams posted:

It's spice coffee season!

Ramc posted:

It was fall again, and with the changing of the leaves the ancient Frank Herbert dared.

Braving the teeming water-fat masses of the outside world he made his way and at altar of the fish-wife goddess he made his demands of the barista.

"The spice." he hissed, his voice a dusty rasp, almost a whisper. "It must flow."

The servant prepared his beverage- the spice coffee- and the cinnamon and nutmeg smell of melange teased his nostrils.

"So, uh, sir, do you want your senior discount?" the barista inquired

"The geriatric discount??"

"Uh, yeah, so that's ten cents off..."

"Ah-h-h-h" Frank smiled in triumph, producing- just as he had foreseen- an additional coupon and slid it across the counter.

Deals within deals...

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1CbW1Kyj4

This thing is hilarious.. unfortunately I don't have time for a six-page essay explaining why

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In all three filmed adaptations, those with the eyes of ibad still had defined sclera and irises. Do we know what Herbert thought they'd look like, it seems like they should just be all one blue with a pupil in the center.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

They're described as blue-within-blue which I always took to mean both the schlera and iris is blue, with only the pupil being any other color.

Then again, there are two Guild representatives present when Paul is about wrest the throne from the Emperor, who're described as wearing contact lenses - which, by the 1960s, were the hydrophilic kind we know today.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

In all three filmed adaptations, those with the eyes of ibad still had defined sclera and irises. Do we know what Herbert thought they'd look like, it seems like they should just be all one blue with a pupil in the center.

Guild steersman’s eye from the end of Dune:

quote:

a total blue so dark as to be almost black.

Appendix to Dune:

quote:

IBAD, EYES OF: characteristic effect of a diet high in melange wherein the whites and pupils of the eyes turn a deep blue (indicative of deep melange addiction).

I’m fairly confident he means “irises” for “pupils” here since the pupil is, definitionally, a hole in the eye out of which colored light doesn’t normally escape. In God-Emperor there’s a passage where Duncan thinks to himself that one of the museum Fremen can’t possibly be a Fremen because he can see his pupils as clearly distinct from the color of the iris. The point in that case would be that the whole eye becomes indistinguishable from the pupil. It’s all so dark blue it looks black.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

galagazombie posted:

The appendix about the Kynes is just a wonderful work of short fiction that can be enjoyed as it’s own self contained short story. Just this normal guy (compared to the duneverse) trying to explain advanced ecology to Klingons that only survives because the guy they send to kill him trips onto his own knife.

didn't he actually kill himself rather than execute kynes?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sebmojo posted:

Yep. And this resulted in the Fremen obeying his word unquestioningly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sebmojo posted:

He busts in to kill Pardot mid lecture and Pardot says “remove yourself” and then ignores him. So he went forth and owned himself

Pardot names his kid Liet for this guy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Kynes' death scene is excellent, and I wish it made it into more adaptations, though I understand why it doesn't. In my ideal adaptation, it would get an extended scene with Pardot lecturing about the potential of terraforming the planet, Liet seeing Arrakis transform into an oasis as he gets delirious from thirst and heatstroke.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

threelemmings posted:

It's spice coffee season!

Flakey posted:

Guannamole.

e: Crushed bug juice boxes

Hollismason posted:

You could make some gingerbread cake and say it is spice cake. That would be pretty nice. I always imagine spice tasting like ginger. I dunno why.

uber_stoat posted:

get some fancy glass vials and fill them with cinnamon and food grade glitter. spice ampoules. sprinkle it on your cake or put it in coffee. make fremen spit tea with it.

Lots of great ideas, I'll try and do as many as I can!

One guy is probably bringing his own Chilli Sauce, so, maybe you jest about Carolina Reapers but they're actually covered!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Halloween Jack posted:

I think Kynes' death scene is excellent, and I wish it made it into more adaptations, though I understand why it doesn't. In my ideal adaptation, it would get an extended scene with Pardot lecturing about the potential of terraforming the planet, Liet seeing Arrakis transform into an oasis as he gets delirious from thirst and heatstroke.

imaginary powerpoints appearing round him as he gestures at the air

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I can't recall, in the new film does Paul learn from his holograms about the relationship between the worms and the spice? In the book and the Lynch adaptation, from what I remember, it's supposed to be a big revelation to him that "the worm is the spice; the spice is the worm." To that end,

GhastlyBizness posted:

Liet’s death in the film owned ... Probably wouldn’t on work on screen though.

Kynes' death scene in the book is awesome. But apart from the fact that it would be really difficult to put to screen (if there's any scene that absolutely requires head dialogue, it's Liet hallucinating to themselves about ecology and the worm life cycle), it would be a major spoiler to this revelation that they're no doubt going to put into Part II.

Unless I totally forgot, and Paul's holograms totally spell it out from the very beginning.

Speaking of which, I'm glad we got at least one (exactly one) shot of someone riding a worm.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Speaker posted:

I can't recall, in the new film does Paul learn from his holograms about the relationship between the worms and the spice? In the book and the Lynch adaptation, from what I remember, it's supposed to be a big revelation to him that "the worm is the spice; the spice is the worm." To that end,

Kynes' death scene in the book is awesome. But apart from the fact that it would be really difficult to put to screen (if there's any scene that absolutely requires head dialogue, it's Liet hallucinating to themselves about ecology and the worm life cycle), it would be a major spoiler to this revelation that they're no doubt going to put into Part II.

Unless I totally forgot, and Paul's holograms totally spell it out from the very beginning.

Speaking of which, I'm glad we got at least one (exactly one) shot of someone riding a worm.

floating kynes head

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Kynes' death scene in the book is awesome. But apart from the fact that it would be really difficult to put to screen (if there's any scene that absolutely requires head dialogue, it's Liet hallucinating to themselves about ecology and the worm life cycle),
No, quite the contrary! Kynes can literally talk to himself in the form of his dead father, while the landscape literally shifts around to illustrate everything they're talking about.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sebmojo posted:

imaginary powerpoints appearing round him as he gestures at the air

Knowing ecologists, they'll all have arial on a white background and be a mix of blurred photos, tiny graphs and a closing bibliography page with eight hundred entries

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Not trying to dox anyone, but which one of you has the car with license plate "THUMPURR"? Are you trying to get this whole parking lot devoured?

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
When Kynes takes the Atreides to go check out a spice mining operation, Paul asks him about wiping out the worms. I think it's the first time the book outright says something about the spice/worm relationship

quote:

Paul leaned back in his corner. His truthsense, awareness of tone shadings, told him that Kynes was lying and telling half-truths. And he thought: If there's a relationship between spice and worms, killing the worms would destroy the spice.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Shout out to that girl on TikTok doing the rad soundtrack singing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

why is everyone so scared abpout the sardakars

you can crush them with harvesters

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ChubbyChecker posted:

why is everyone so scared abpout the sardakars

you can crush them with harvesters

i would simply use the attitude jets on my transport ornithopters as improvised 'flame throwers' to drive them away

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

No respect!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Baudolino posted:

I am watching the miniseries. Its much better then it`s reputation. For what it is, a 20 old tv serie with very limited budget it is actually very good when you ignore the lovely combat scenes.
People complain about the costumes. But for the noble/elite character its very fitting that they are wearing very colorful and impractical clothes (expect for the Astreides). Thats a very important way to signify class in a feudal society. Only clear miss in the costume department is reverend mother gaius mohaim`s getup and the Harkonnen troops.
Ian Mcneice`s take on the Baron was honestly superior to the films. Its a very nice contrast to Dune part 1. More colorful but less spectacular, better at worldbuilding but far inferior at building up the mood and just less exciting overall. Paul`s prophetic visions were better in the miniseries as well.

stratdax posted:

the overnight cultural rehabilitation of the miniseries going on rn is almost as pathetic as 'The Prequels Are Good'. remove yourself from my sight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

whichever one of you loving nerds buys that poo poo better scan it into a pdf and upload it to the forums or imma take your water mark my loving words