Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

CannonFodder posted:

I think the board of directors were looking for "Just don't get relegated" at the beginning of the season. Staying in the playoff hunt is exceeding expectations. Automatic promotion would be above the moon.

it was quite literally "battle bravely against relegation" lol

this is fairly common though, not much differnece between vanarama north/south and national at a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

karmicknight posted:

oh look, the top team is two games behind the pack on the table. that's not a worrying sign.

Yeah, just need to finish in the playoff spaces though.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

It's time for the FA cup, we get to face some old foes in Chester, I'd love to have a deep run in the cup to make some cash but it may not be viable with how many games we play.

Womp womp, we'll get another chance later but it is frustrating.

Ah poo poo, here we go again.

A story as old as time, Ged! scores the winner.

We're back to the league with another game versus Altrincham who are in rotten form so we should be able to get a result as long as we don't say, miss two penalties for basically no reason.

We get a solid result, Ged being the matchwinner as always.

This is the big one, It's vital we take points away from them. Big six pointer!

Let's get a result!

Let's loving GOOOOOOOOOO!

Torquay are SLAIN by the mighty Ciaran Jones scores a POWERFUL, POWERFUL, POWERFUL HEADER and now WE'RE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

YEAH!

Now we have another big derby with pools but on our run of form, can anyone really stop us?

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

LET'S loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT?

ItohRespectArmy posted:

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY NEED??

ItohRespectArmy posted:

WHAT DOES EVERYBODY LOVE???

ItohRespectArmy posted:

LET'S loving GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Ged down on it (doo doo doo) Ged down on it (doo doo)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How the actual gently caress are you in your second season as be at the top of the league you just promoted into

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

tithin posted:

How the actual gently caress are you in your second season as be at the top of the league you just promoted into

Short egotistical answer: I'm very good at football manager

Long, less exciting answer.

First of all, team cohesion is very good and I make the effort to maximise it whenever possible, second the vanarama north/south and the national are pretty similar in terms of quality and I improved the squad alot in the summer combined with the fact I have a very effective counter attacking style I like to use and the entire league has be down as "relegation battler" until it does its recheck in january.

So that got us off to our good start, then we have good morale and even better cohesion with the newer players, not to mention the AI being bad at managing fitness and me abusing being semi-pro to have a similar squad to an NFL team and you have Darlington can't keep getting away with it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It's going to own when League 2 tells you to gently caress off and explode into your component atoms next year.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
ged ged ged ged ged ged ged ged

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:getin: but with Ged

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:gedin:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Short egotistical answer: I'm very good at football manager

Long, less exciting answer.

First of all, team cohesion is very good and I make the effort to maximise it whenever possible, second the vanarama north/south and the national are pretty similar in terms of quality and I improved the squad alot in the summer combined with the fact I have a very effective counter attacking style I like to use and the entire league has be down as "relegation battler" until it does its recheck in january.

So that got us off to our good start, then we have good morale and even better cohesion with the newer players, not to mention the AI being bad at managing fitness and me abusing being semi-pro to have a similar squad to an NFL team and you have Darlington can't keep getting away with it.
Yeah, the second half of the season may be very different. But ride the winning wave as much as you can.

:gedin: would be :wow: but it's Ged and the action as he comes into frame is heading a ball into goal.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

tithin posted:

Itoh already made a nod at this but the gap between these two divisions is pretty small, especially in terms of Reputation, which is a secret number every club has. It determines things like, oh, what quality of player would be interested in playing for us. Basically, from the perspective of the youth team dropouts from divisions above us, there's next to no difference between joining us or any other semi-pro outfit in these two divisions. Players at this level tend to prefer to remain within their local geographic region, and we're well placed in England near some big cities and larger clubs. Add to this a human manager who can select players that best break the match engine at this level...

Essentially Itoh's making better use of the player pool available to all our competition

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

karmicknight posted:

It's going to own when League 2 tells you to gently caress off and explode into your component atoms next year.

League 2 is pretty easy. Once I finally got promotion out of the VNL which was the hard part I was able to carry over the excellent form to a solid playoff run. Only problem was I then won the playoffs. Now i'm in League 1 which is where poo poo starts catching up on you. You can't rely on cast-offs from bigger teams youth teams anymore and you're routinely going up against teams that can spend more on a single player than you can afford to spend on your entire squad. Still it's November and I'm in 18th so I have optimism that I can do well. or that there'll be 4 teams worse than me.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
My point was more about League 2 taking away Itoh's safety blanket of the army of the non-contracted footballers toiling away in the depth mines.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, what Itoh isn't showing us in the thread is the sheer size of their squad. Which I'd love to see a screenshot of, exactly how many nailed on starters do you even have compared to folks who you call up on a Friday and say "don't get too smashed, we need you for tomorrow's match."

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

It probably has been long enough to justify going over our actual squad, since it's october and thus nearly january which is when it's all going to fall apart.

Alright, let's go over our one to 11 first.

This is what the game reckons our best 11 is, I prefer Hunt to Fielding but that's about it.

If everyone in this lineup is fit and ready, they'll play but that is very rare.

This is the lineup of go-to guys if someone is tired, injured or is playing shite and needs to be subbed.

Some of them, like McMahon have only played a handful of games while some like Gilliam have played 20+

but this probably dosen't fill the whole picture of just how many non contract backups are sitting in the wings for when our second XI players are tired.

now THIS lets you see just how many people are milling around this accursed football club.

basically to sum it up, I have multiple minimum 2 star players in every single position just to manage fitness and injuries.

you may be wondering how I'm managing all these people, which is a good question.

despite the jokes about them being journeymen the VAST majority of these 2 star backups?

They're under 21, so they're technically signed to my youth team, they don't get upset about game time because they're technically youth players and they keep match sharpness playing u-19 fixtures.

The older ones are generally players left over from last season that I replaced over the summer and they still get enough games to not get too upset.

As for the actual count of what I agreed to everyone currently, we have 4 star players, 12 important players although soon I will be convincing 5 or 6 they aren't good enough anymore, 4 regular starters, 5 squad players, 4 fringe players, and 9 prospects who I secretly use as backups.

Oh and every week I have around 9 or so trialists I'm checking to see if I can find even more players, be they quality or depth.

Here's our dynamics page to round everything off.

Also if there are things you'd like to see in specifics in future updates do let me know.

I do plan on doing some lengthy ones when we get to league 2 because things will change significantly for us as a football club.

Now, onto the games!

First up is Ebbsfleet who you may remember stole Adam Curry from us right at the start of the game, also they're battling relegation this season.

We're playing alot of that second string today since there's been alot of must win fixtures in a row, so we'll see if someone can earn a starting spot for themselves.

I'm glad my voodoo successfully worked on Curry, lmao.

Louis Laing's red card was actually very good, he got a second yellow stopping a dangerous counter attack and it was pretty wise.

Next up is Dartford in the FA cup, in the first round proper.

Getting a good cup run could really put some money in the bank for us, which will be vital if we make it to league 2

Welp, see you next week Dartford.

Next up in the league is Crawley, we'll sadly be without Milan because he's playing internationals for Bermuda for the next two weeks but we'll manage.

Crawley are a good team with some decent players, so I hope we aren't complacent.

Oh and ingame Crawley is currently managed by Emma Hayes, good for her.

The games says we deserved it but we were very poor today outside of a spell near the end of the game. Wheatley was actually one of our brightest players before he revealed himself as not TOO bright by getting sent off like a bloody moron.

Ah, hello again Dartford, for comedy look at the players listed as unavailable for this one.

Good thing we have a squad of 52 people!

Ah, much better!

Now we get to visit the bright lights of... colchester? loving hell.

Next up is these damned Jorvik bastards rocking up to Blackwell Meadows again.

Atleast the game is going to be a sellout.

Ah, no better feeling than beating York.

We've now won Seven on the bounce, just by the by.

Holy gently caress, it'd be so much better away but a premier league team in the third round is still the dream, now we HAVE to beat colchester.

Next up before that is Dag and Red who we'll have to stay focused on before dreaming of FA cup glory, just yet.

Well we did a good fight back after they scored an absolute worlide, props to GED! for matching it with his own insane finish.

Here it is, our chance to face a big team if we just get a result here. I just hope the lads perform.

Well certain stats nerds will say we didn't have many shots to which I say, it only takes one!

Aston Villa! We're coming for you!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Park the bus in the game against Villa and play for a replay?

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost
So excited!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The call him... el gefe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Legitimately upset the game is only rating GED three stars

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:neckbeard: yay Villa gets to demolish Darlington.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Yeah going to root for Villa. Hopefully they don't disappoint in this reality like they do in our own.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Are Curzon Ashton rich? Asking cause Broyar is starting a Journeyman Glory Hunter game in FM 2022 and they snapped him up real quick and he's mentioning he's getting paid much more than he expected.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Park the bus in the game against Villa and play for a replay?

Even the bottom of the table premier league teams have a wizard that will eventually unlock your defence for a goal - the best plan I reckon is try and score a lucky goal off a set piece or something, because denying them two is much more possible.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

ChaosStar0 posted:

Are Curzon Ashton rich? Asking cause Broyar is starting a Journeyman Glory Hunter game in FM 2022 and they snapped him up real quick and he's mentioning he's getting paid much more than he expected.

They are in a similar mold as Fylde and Salford, although I don't know who their owners are, they went pro recently and started offering contracts to people.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
GED IN!

My prediction is a draw against Aston Villa, which is amazing. Conversly, they get to see Ged in all his glorious Gedness and steal him from us by dropping big bucks.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

We have a few games before we get to the excitement of Villa, starting with

Good old King's Lynn

It's the fa trophy, so I'll mostly be resting players, nobody really wants to retain the FA trophy.

A good result, especially considering it was practically our reserve team out there.

I won't get my hopes up too high but I do hope we get atleast the Argentinian Messi.

Well it is Wrexham, as we all know nobody has ever played as Wrexham in football manager so I imagine nobody is overtly attached to them.

Very troubling, even more so now that we're actually level on points with Wrexham although we do have a game in hand.

Well that's not good but we'll manage.

:cry:

How could the game take Nicky Hunt from me?

Seems like we play Stockport constantly but as usual we'll probably beat them.

Whew, congratulations to Ged!

Aston Villa are a grand old club, they have won a europeon cup and a bagfull of league titles, they've won major trophies and play in a massive stadium.

The darkest days of villa's history was playing in the second division for 3 seasons which is the highest league Darlington ever played at.

Aston Villa are everything Darlington are not.

Aston Villa's kit inspired dozens of teams all across the world, it was iconic.

Most people would probably change something for this kind of gulf in quality but that's not my philosophy, I think we'll just play like we always do and beat Aston Villa and then whoever we face in the next round.

Better to shoot for the stars and land on a cloud.

Oh, word?

It hurts this one, because we really did play well but villa just had too much quality.

I can't blame anyone really, they all gave everything to try and get the result and we certainly gave villa a game.

Atleast we gave the fans hope, that's what football is all about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gutting :negative:

At least we woulda been one of the top games in the Match of the Day lineup :unsmith:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
:neckbeard: yay Villa. We only almost got embarrassed by loving Ged.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I won't get my hopes up too high but I do hope we get atleast the Argentinian Messi.

I hope for something at least useful like the Swiss Adam Armstrong.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 10, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm sure we can find Romanian Non-Aggy Joey Barton

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
the Kosovar James Léa Siliki

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Looks like Villa got relegated last season lmao.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
*ahem*

GED! GED! GED!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

Looks like Villa got relegated last season lmao.

:negative:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

We're back and we're facing Eastleigh!

There's usually a hangover after big FA cup ties like that so we'll see if we suffer one too.

Not a great performance but we had to rest a ton of players because we made 6 or 7 fitness gambles for the villa game.

It's another FA trophy game so we're just gona keep getting people match fitness and sharpness and if we get a result, nice.

Good result and a good performance!

Back to the league with Aldershot who are a decent side, so we'll need to be good to get the win.

Gotta say I thought when we were a goal up and they had a player sent off we were probably safe but football is a funny old game.

Halifax are managed by a man with the last name Rodman, so I'm sure they'll be a physical outfit.

Not physical enough to stop Ged or as I call him.

The Micheal Jordan of the Vanarama National League

We're headed down to the south coast to face Torquay in what should be a really big game.

The January tactical adjustment has had teams sit way deeper against us to try and nullify us but it hasn't worked, I imagine Torquay will still be going at us though.

Torquay were NOT immune to Ged!

Next up is WOKING who are by all reports, very woke.

A good result, especially considering we rotated a ton of players.

We're a cushy 10 points clear now, so we just need to keep chugging along to reach oblivion.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There is no love

There is no hate

There is only GED

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD GED WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE LOVE I FEEL FOR GED AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. GED. GED.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

in ged we trust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS DARLINGTON IN THE FA TROPHY AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GED. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SCORE SOME WORLDIES OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY NABBED A HAT TRICK IN EBBSFLEET. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I GAME