Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t a flimsy excuse to indulge GAS :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is a used good MPC one for 650 a good deal? Seems like it is.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I put a bunch of modules I haven’t used in a while back into a case and made some cold semi-generative ambient music.

https://youtu.be/WVMiePSfuGs

Messy patch notes:
0-ctrl was at the center of sequencing. I use uo_c hemispheres’ quantizer to sample’n’hold one track from 0-ctrl for two different melodies. The melodies feel evolving since the rhythms are irregular and drifting while the 0-CTRL advances at a steady pace. Manis Iteritas and Klavis Twin voice do the plinky melodies. They go into 3 Sisters and I pan the different outputs of the sisters individually for more space. Modulating the cutoff changes their stereo image and timbre at the same time. Lifeforms SV-1 did the longer, usually bassy, notes. Clouds in miverb mode and Mimeophon do the fx.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

toadee posted:

I really can’t understand why they haven’t revived the Nord Modular stuff in a euro rack format. Like imagine putting a modular inside your modular with a ton of cv jacks.

This basically what an ES-8/9 used with VCV Rack can do, isn't it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

toadee posted:

I really can’t understand why they haven’t revived the Nord Modular stuff in a euro rack format. Like imagine putting a modular inside your modular with a ton of cv jacks.

an M1 MacBook Air would be much cheaper and much more versatile than said Nord modular

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

Is a used good MPC one for 650 a good deal? Seems like it is.

Seems decent if in good condition.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Not a great day at the flea market today, was pretty cold all day, now kicking back and warming up and playing with my Altura in REAPER, using Superwave. Boy does this thing rock.

ED: and since it's not a real theremin I can use both hands for one sensor if I feel like it and do all kinds of stuff with my jazz hands.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 7, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Metroid has been on my mind lately, and I got hooked on the Metroid Prime soundtrack again. Turns out that we actually found a good chunk of the patches used:

https://youtu.be/JlShEmFvyqo

https://youtu.be/1InzGMbCERo

…and now I want something like the MS2000. Or, I suppose, the original Microkorg. But it’s hard to tell what exact features contributed to those sounds, and whether there are other more easily found synths that offer similar functionality. What should I be looking for? What kind of features or effects would it have, since it’s clearly not just a matter of putting a filter on a sawtooth with an LFO? (Or should I just get a used Microkorg? :v:)

The soundtrack also apparently used the Proteus 2000, the Xreme Lead-1, and the Orbit-3. I’m…not sure if those are synths or not? They’re mounted on racks like other synths, but I don’t see any oscillators or anything on them. What are they, exactly?

Edit: what the gently caress is the behringer td-3 and why are there like a million of them for 100 bucks on reverb

Edit 2: Hell, ya know what? While
I’m unable to find a used Reface CS or DX, I’m open to recs for a good first hardware synth. Kinda eyeing more Korg right now, but I’m not picky besides hopefully 37-key (or just a module and I get a Keystep 37).

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 7, 2021

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Chenghiz posted:

This basically what an ES-8/9 used with VCV Rack can do, isn't it?

Ok Comboomer posted:

an M1 MacBook Air would be much cheaper and much more versatile than said Nord modular

Dedicated dsp hardware is always going to be more reliable and powerful than running stuff inside windows. Even a 23 year old Nord modular g1 can run some stuff that would just crush VCV for example. Also, if you’ve never used it, the Nord Modular editor is just a joy. It’s by far the most intuitive and responsive software based patching I’ve ever done. Also, Nords VA code, especially filter code, has always been well regarded and unique in character. Having used Nord Modular, Reaktor, VCV Rack, Pd, Max, and a couple of other smaller soft modular projects, I would hands down much rather have a Nord Modular Module with CV than just running some Silent Way to PC based stuff.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

Metroid has been on my mind lately, and I got hooked on the Metroid Prime soundtrack again. Turns out that we actually found a good chunk of the patches used:

https://youtu.be/JlShEmFvyqo

https://youtu.be/1InzGMbCERo

…and now I want something like the MS2000. Or, I suppose, the original Microkorg. But it’s hard to tell what exact features contributed to those sounds, and whether there are other more easily found synths that offer similar functionality. What should I be looking for? What kind of features or effects would it have, since it’s clearly not just a matter of putting a filter on a sawtooth with an LFO? (Or should I just get a used Microkorg? :v:)

The soundtrack also apparently used the Proteus 2000, the Xreme Lead-1, and the Orbit-3. I’m…not sure if those are synths or not? They’re mounted on racks like other synths, but I don’t see any oscillators or anything on them. What are they, exactly?

Edit: what the gently caress is the behringer td-3 and why are there like a million of them for 100 bucks on reverb

Edit 2: Hell, ya know what? While
I’m unable to find a used Reface CS or DX, I’m open to recs for a good first hardware synth. Kinda eyeing more Korg right now, but I’m not picky besides hopefully 37-key (or just a module and I get a Keystep 37).

the proteus, xtreme lead and orbit are e-mu rompler modules. they were p' common in the early-mid '90s. the proteus was a sort of gm sound set, the lead was full of analog synth lead samples and the orbit was dance oriented. you could swap roms between chassis or put them in an e-mu command station (the sequencer/groovebox chassis).they're pretty good synths, among other things you could do a sort of wavestation-lite wavesequencing with them, they're also microtonal. if you look through local music gear classifieds or look at the consignment section racks at your local music store you will probably find a mo'phatt or planet phatt (the hip hop sound set ones) for sale.

regarding virtual analogs, they all do the same thing, they all sound mostly the same. they've really been obsoleted by software and the resurgence of not virtual analog. the thing virtual analogs still have going for them is polyphony and usually better modulation options. if you don't need one knob per function, maybe a blofeld which would give you the option of having it sound like a early '90s v.a. synth but would also allow you the option of having it sound, you know, better. if you want the cadillac of stopgap synthesis technology, whatever the current iteration of the access virus or the nord lead is probably what you want

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s5wRceP34gaPr-CkNSnnlaCSEID5HjWTX4TSR_OxeqA/edit#gid=1443901762

I have no idea how to find these but I know of their existence. There are more for other games.

quote:

What should I be looking for?
Anything sample-based that's made during that time. Some sounds can be substituted, some can be reverse-engineered, but until Arturia outright buys the right to those samples and repackages them they're not available in other boxes.

Trying to rebuild this stuff from scratch into Kontakt may or may not be possible. In the case of a Kurzweil K2000, you're looking at a digital semi-modular synthesizer that happens to use samples as well. It's a different case for every machine.

quote:

In the late 90s, E-mu made the Ultra-series of samplers. Turns out that if you replace the RAM with ROM but keep all the synthesis options, and remove things like harddisks, SCSI interfaces, or sampling options at all, you end up with a pretty affordable 1U rack box with sounds that you can sell for a nice mark-up.

Not every synth looks like a synth. https://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/u20.php is pretty spartan.

quote:

yo

i'm going to try to say this as nicely as possible but just punch it into google.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That was more of a comedic observation with exaggeration than anything. I know how to google :v:

Good to know re: samples. I assume these are what people refer to when they talk about romplers? Might be a good idea to expand my sound palette to samples, then, especially if they’re interesting ones.

As for hardware synths, yeah, I definitely get the sense that a lot of stuff is obsoleted by softsynths these days. Especially since Vital exists. I’m definitely curious enough to reverse engineer these patches, though. To clarify, it’s not so much the machine itself I’m interested in as it is the patching and algorithms used to generate the sound - I can put an LFO on a comb filter and blast it with reverb all I want, but I still feel limited and lacking in creativity, and reverse engineering is how I learn new techniques. Maybe I’ll pull those patches up and see how they’re defined instead…

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 7, 2021

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Good to know re: samples. I assume these are what people refer to when they talk about romplers? Might be a good idea to expand my sound palette to samples, then, especially if they’re interesting ones.
The word rompler is a portmanteau of ROM and sampler. A sampler allows you to digitize any sound; a rompler has pre-digitized sounds in there already. The cool part is that since the ROM doesn't care where the bits came from you can also use offline rendering for a sound, so you could write a complex patch in CSound, render it out, and suddenly it costs no CPU power at all anymore when you want to play it. Or you'd make a saw wave and because it wouldn't need to be sampled from a noisy analog synth you could get something in there that perfectly looped, etc.

I'm fairly certain that the JP8000 - before it existed as a real synth - was a piece of software developed internally at Roland where they could just let it render sounds they wanted or needed. Much easier to let a slow computer crunch a perfectly noiseless, correctly normalized piece of sample data that could then be cut to size further.

Various devices are called romplers - the E-mus you were talking about are fully fledged synthesizers with a number of sample-based oscillators. Each oscillator has its own filter, LFOs, envelopes, etc. Roland, Korg and Yamaha use a similar approach; you stack up to 4 of these sample-based oscillators and that's how you synthesize stuff. Since each oscillator has its own filter, it's much more open-ended than having a 3-osc synth where all oscillators have to go through a single filter and that's all you can do. The downside is that they're samples so they always start at the same phase, you can't do things like sync, FM, PWM, so you have to fake those.

Arranger keyboards like the modern Yamaha PSRs and Casios are also romplers. However, they hide that whole structure from you and only allow you to adjust the effects level or so. You can't really edit patches, you can't really choose the building blocks, so "rompler" is also used as a pejorative term.

In software, compare ReFX Nexus or Luxonix Ravity, or Roland Cloud's JV-series.

quote:

As for hardware synths, yeah, I definitely get the sense that a lot of stuff is obsoleted by softsynths these days. Especially since Vital exists. I’m definitely curious enough to reverse engineer these patches, though.
If all you have is samples, then the only way you can make certain sounds is to sample something that's already in unison and filtered.

In Vital, you can create much more complex waveforms right in the oscillator itself and pre-filter things. It's a form of abstraction and miniaturization; instead of needing an entire synth to make a certain sound, you just need to use one part - and you still have the rest of the synth to play with.

Surge, which is also awesome, allows each oscillator to be a sample, and since you can use two layers, it means you can use 6 samples simultaneously in a single sound. I'm fairly certain that if you put enough effort in it, you could make a very convincing drop-in replacement for the standard General MIDI library - while making minimal use of samples. The fact that modern synths can go there just shows how much development there's been.

The big downside for synths that happen to be able to load samples is proper multi-sample and looping support. If you look at how older romplers made maximum use of their memory, it's quite similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPbroUDHG0s&t=312s . You chop up the sample in a few parts, and you re-use those parts - head, body and tail. You solve the rest procedurally by letting the LFOs and envelopes do as much heavy lifting as possible.

For more modern samplers like Kontakt space isn't an issue, so they don't have to resort to those things - if they even can (because it requires some very tight control over what is played when). Hence, no modern library quite sounds like those older romplers.

Plus, since all samples are still under copyright, you can't just repackage and republish them without getting shut down really quickly.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

finally released a song that i wrote on the tracker. i did do a lot of work in the DAW afterwards but still counts!

https://twitter.com/all_caps_rin/status/1457364714028244993?s=21

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

Plus, since all samples are still under copyright, you can't just repackage and republish them without getting shut down really quickly.

They show up in a lot of places that you wouldn't expect. The Roland stuff is obviously more famously protected than most (thinking of that digitization debacle w/ the D-50 set) so maybe not those but like all the Emu stuff is in that "samples of every drum machine" pack (even if maybe it shouldn't be).

Laserjet 4P posted:

I'm fairly certain that the JP8000 - before it existed as a real synth - was a piece of software developed internally at Roland where they could just let it render sounds they wanted or needed. Much easier to let a slow computer crunch a perfectly noiseless, correctly normalized piece of sample data that could then be cut to size further.

Do you have any more info on this? I'd believe it just its new to me in my waltz down the rabbit hole of Roland rompler & VA history.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

They show up in a lot of places that you wouldn't expect.
Yeah - and there was no shame whatsoever from Roland in appropriating SARARR. The early Zero G sample CDs are of course full of material that wouldn't pass the sniff tests nowadays either, and on the Korg Trinity there's a direct sample of the Prodigy.

I was one of the lucky few to snag the Kontakt D50 library before the hammer came down :v:

quote:

Do you have any more info on this? I'd believe it just its new to me in my waltz down the rabbit hole of Roland rompler & VA history.
I wish I had but it's pure headcanon. I'm basing this on finding the dry JP stuff sounding really similar to some of the samples in the JV series.

In theory it makes sense. You need to develop DSP stuff anyway and the digital resonant filters in the JV synths are DSP - no questions about it. However, they probably take a ton of shortcuts at the expense of not behaving really like analog filters. Sample-based oscillators are computationally really cheap, but generating the sounds in realtime costs more effort.

The problem with virtual analogs has always been trying to get the DSPs fast enough. 4 voices of virtual analog are cool, but more are even cooler, and I guess that after Clavia showed that it could be done, Roland started ramping up the R&D - but had a working (albeit not ready for prime-time) proof of concept developed internally, out of necessity.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Laserjet 4P posted:

I wish I had but it's pure headcanon. I'm basing this on finding the dry JP stuff sounding really similar to some of the samples in the JV series.

In theory it makes sense. You need to develop DSP stuff anyway and the digital resonant filters in the JV synths are DSP - no questions about it. However, they probably take a ton of shortcuts at the expense of not behaving really like analog filters. Sample-based oscillators are computationally really cheap, but generating the sounds in realtime costs more effort.

The problem with virtual analogs has always been trying to get the DSPs fast enough. 4 voices of virtual analog are cool, but more are even cooler, and I guess that after Clavia showed that it could be done, Roland started ramping up the R&D - but had a working (albeit not ready for prime-time) proof of concept developed internally, out of necessity.

I can totally hear it, always loved using the JP and the JV together, they really vibe.

And yessss re the filters, my thought w/ the JP has always been "this is dope but idk why its doing that", its got a very weird resonance that I wish I could get in Eurorack.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I don't think there's anything special or weird going on with the jp8000 filters. resonance and frequency tracking curves can be tweaked in hardware, like not all low pass filters sound the same even when they have the same design, passive component selection matters. likewise, filter characteristics can be tweaked in software. in both cases, why it's doing that is because an engineer or two spent a lot of time selecting stuff and setting parameters to get it just right, so that when you twist the cutoff knob it goes beeeeewoooop instead of bueeeeeerwhooop. but, like, a different set of engineers would spent the same amount of time getting their filter to go bueeeeeerwhooop instead of beeeeewoooop

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

I don't think there's anything special or weird going on with the jp8000 filters.

hmmm disagree.

The Voice of Labor posted:

resonance and frequency tracking curves can be tweaked in hardware, like not all low pass filters sound the same even when they have the same design, passive component selection matters. likewise, filter characteristics can be tweaked in software. in both cases, why it's doing that is because an engineer or two spent a lot of time selecting stuff and setting parameters to get it just right, so that when you twist the cutoff knob it goes beeeeewoooop instead of bueeeeeerwhooop. but, like, a different set of engineers would spent the same amount of time getting their filter to go bueeeeeerwhooop instead of beeeeewoooop

sure. okay. not sure I follow your larger point here though. I'm not saying they're magic, or a bug, or not intentionally programmed like that or whatever, just that they sound good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just putting up some bleeps and bloops. This is a sample of me just noodling with the Altura, controlling a couple plastic keyboards and then a couple of VSTs. Just a semirandom sampling of what it can do. I tried a lot of different presets, you can just click around if you want.

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/ur-1

Started sounding vaguely like that Gasefelstein video for a second there at about 5:30 or so. NBD, I just kinda noticed.

Okay, I think maybe the best voice combinations begin at around 10:00. Really just fooling around, bleepin and bloopin. Reminds me of Gamelan now and then.

And while I was goofing off with the soundcloud, I uploaded something I did not do:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/nother1athem

petit choux fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 8, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I made a noise poem in VCV rack Hope all my friends don't hate it.
I wanted to see what I could put together trying out different noise colours as sound sources and use it as an opportunity to try using a variety of different filters. Pretty happy with the results.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Roland just dropped a couple new Boutiques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscmO8PZcqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgCskZNkWKU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh closed the YouTube when I saw NFTs mentioned but moreover:

Roland, why?? Don't you know I have an impulse buy probl---ohhhhh

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Are those sliders even tinier than the JP 08

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do MIDI thru boxes introduce any significant delay? I think they're essentially dumb circuitry so presumably not, but anything to be aware of? I'm at the point where I think my MPC1000 is going to be my sequencer and everything else is just a consumer. Granted "everything else" is just my Sampler and Reface DX right now, but I'd like to grab an 80s rompler at some point when I can decide on what I want, and who knows what else gets throw into the rack at some point.

Only real catch is that I separated the DX's synth from keyboard, so MIDI-OUT is feeding MIDI-IN on the MPC but I still need a feed from the presumed thru box to MIDI-IN to control the synth engine. A little extra cabling but so be it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love seeing more small USB/battery synths being produced. If it wasn’t for the portability of the Volcas and PO’s I wouldn’t have gotten into the hobby.

Now I have a monologue and an OP-1 running without wall power. It’s a kickass combination.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

I love seeing more small USB/battery synths being produced. If it wasn’t for the portability of the Volcas and PO’s I wouldn’t have gotten into the hobby.

Now I have a monologue and an OP-1 running without wall power. It’s a kickass combination.

I also love how they considered the swappability of these with the optional keyboard. If I thew one of these in my GAS mountain it would be just the module, but if I want to take it to the cottage I can throw on the keyboard and jam out under the stars or something. Really cool idea and I hope the whole hobby/backpack music thing continues to gain momentum.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I love seeing more small USB/battery synths being produced

:hmmyes:
Might I introduce you to the wide world of Casio keyboards

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
For sure. One of my absolute favorite things to do if I’m riding my bike to the park or going on a solo hike is to wrap my PO33 in headphones and throw it in my bag. Make some beats in a hammock by the lake? Yes please.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rutibex posted:

:hmmyes:
Might I introduce you to the wide world of Casio keyboards

:justpost: all of them!

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Do MIDI thru boxes introduce any significant delay? I think they're essentially dumb circuitry so presumably not, but anything to be aware of? I'm at the point where I think my MPC1000 is going to be my sequencer and everything else is just a consumer. Granted "everything else" is just my Sampler and Reface DX right now, but I'd like to grab an 80s rompler at some point when I can decide on what I want, and who knows what else gets throw into the rack at some point.

Only real catch is that I separated the DX's synth from keyboard, so MIDI-OUT is feeding MIDI-IN on the MPC but I still need a feed from the presumed thru box to MIDI-IN to control the synth engine. A little extra cabling but so be it.

Nope no latency to speak of - depending on your needs, this $20 kit might work perfectly https://meeblip.com/products/meeblip-thru5-midi-splitter-kit

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

toadee posted:

Nope no latency to speak of - depending on your needs, this $20 kit might work perfectly https://meeblip.com/products/meeblip-thru5-midi-splitter-kit

Holy crap that is an amazing get, thank you!!

Apropos of nothing, I think today is the day my MPC One is hitting Reverb. I haven't powered it on in probably 2 months now and it's just losing value. If I really want one I don't think I'll have any trouble buying a modern MPC in future. Seriously doubt these will be collectible or in any way distinguish themselves from future MPCs given that it's all basically just software at this point.

It has some cool functionality but ultimately I'm using my MPC1K more and any built in synths I can replace with a rompler or rack synth or something. That said I've used approximately zero of its functionality lately so who cares.

The ONLY thing I might miss is the auto-sampler? Cool that you can tell it feed specific notes to an external MIDI source and sample the input into a keygroup or instrument. But I don't have any external synths that I want to steal sounds from so who cares.

Reverse GAS is way harder. I'll buy gear on a whim but I'll spend months talking myself out of selling something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 9, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anyone have any suggestions for the PO-133 (or PO-33) tutorials on YouTube? I have one being delivered today. I watched the Red Means Recording one and it was good, but I was wondering if anyone has any other good resources for this?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Martytoof posted:

Reverse GAS is way harder. I'll buy gear on a whim but I'll spend months talking myself out of selling something.

I'll do it for you: everything you can do with a groovebox or workstation - sequencing, mixing, editing, composition - you can do far more easily with software at a tiny fraction of the cost. The only thing you need hardware for is if you want to capture live analog sound, in which case you lose out on interoperability with your DAW and any other instruments and effects in your song. Plus, you can just do virtual analog and get 90~95% of the way there.

That's pretty much why I only want maybe a couple pieces of hardware. It's good for play and sketching (and nice videos), but far too expensive and obviated for actual production. I ain't spending $500 on a physical digital synth, I already have a Volca Drum and I'm only in the market for a cheap used synth to accompany it if I feel like it (anyone selling a Reface CP? :v:).

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 9, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for the PO-133 (or PO-33) tutorials on YouTube? I have one being delivered today. I watched the Red Means Recording one and it was good, but I was wondering if anyone has any other good resources for this?

I don't have a one-beats-all video but here's what I did. I watched a handful of similar how-to videos to get a mix. Some people would cover a basic question I had and some others. Once you can lay down sounds on a pattern and manage samples, Google becomes your friend. I found myself just typing in a lot of specific questions to fill in the cracks:

"PO33 how do I delete a pattern?"
"PO33 how do I chain patterns?"
"PO33 how do I write in real time?"
"PO33 how do I copy paste patterns?"

I did like this video, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIDUQ725jRc

I would maybe play with the stock sounds and get a feel for the sequencer before fiddling with recording and cutting samples. The nice thing about Pocket Operators is that you can learn all of the functions within an hour once you have it in your hand. Hard part is utilizing them and recalling them when needed. That just comes with practice. Grab some dope headphones, a beer and your comfy chair.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rolo posted:

I don't have a one-beats-all video but here's what I did. I watched a handful of similar how-to videos to get a mix. Some people would cover a basic question I had and some others. Once you can lay down sounds on a pattern and manage samples, Google becomes your friend. I found myself just typing in a lot of specific questions to fill in the cracks:

"PO33 how do I delete a pattern?"
"PO33 how do I chain patterns?"
"PO33 how do I write in real time?"
"PO33 how do I copy paste patterns?"

I did like this video, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIDUQ725jRc

I would maybe play with the stock sounds and get a feel for the sequencer before fiddling with recording and cutting samples. The nice thing about Pocket Operators is that you can learn all of the functions within an hour once you have it in your hand. Hard part is utilizing them and recalling them when needed. That just comes with practice. Grab some dope headphones, a beer and your comfy chair.

Awesome, thanks! Eventually this will be fun to play with my OP-1 which I got the muscle memory down for about a week ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Patch review time!

Here's today's patch. It's a pad, and I made it after learning a bit about what reverb is and why we use it.

https://voca.ro/18c4QOBUFvLw

Two LPed pulse oscillators, one tuned downwards by 5 semitones, plus some LPed noise. Then some LFO and envelope fuckery. FX are reverb and some multiband compression and that's it.

I think it sounds nice, but I can't help but think that I can still make it more interesting. Plus, I'm not experienced enough to tell when a patch is good or bad. Any obvious improvements? (I get that it might be hard to tell when it isn't used with anything else.)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Matt Zerella posted:

Awesome, thanks! Eventually this will be fun to play with my OP-1 which I got the muscle memory down for about a week ago.

The good news is that the OP-1 is complemented very well by the PO-33, the bad news is that there isn’t much carryover in regards to workflow. You’re gonna be learning an entirely different thing.

Worth it though. I’ll write beats on my 33 and sample them to the OP-1 when I’m doing an awful job manually playing the beat in real time, which is always. The 33 workflow is more enjoyable to me than the 1’s sequencers.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Everything in the passive midi chain (inc thru boxes) adds about 20-30ms of latency. Not particularly noticable but its been best practice to e.g. put pads after fast attack monosynths.

But I mean better to go sequencer -> thrubox -> 4 synths than sequencer -> synth 1 -> synth 2 -> synth 3 -> synth 4

If anyone is in the market for this kind of thing and doesn't mind spending real money on it, this is by far the best implementation of MIDI routing I've ever run across (taking the prize from my MPC2500)

https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc/

disclaimer: I had the pleasure of beta testing it, so my money isn't where my mouth is. But it does everything I could want in that kind of box and a bunch of other stuff I don't really touch because my MIDI into DAW is limited to syncing tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

Everything in the passive midi chain (inc thru boxes) adds about 20-30ms of latency.

uh, no, sorry but, no, not even close. 20-30ms would be horrible audible latency. Thru boxes in general introduce latency in the realm of microseconds, not milliseconds. So like 20-30 thousandths of a millisecond. The Kenton Midi thru boxes introduce LESS than a microsecond of latency. They are, to a human being, transparent in terms of latency.