Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

lmao if they did retcon it as another reality that Dr. Strange saw. It's either going to be that or they will continue the plotline through a movie of a superhero people know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
god man i was looking at the release schedule is things are really grim. these giant whales that are comic book movies are now all year round because of the pandemic. no window for smaller movies to make good money without these behemoths

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

quote:

Wouldn’t the Eternals be better off engaging in more down-to-Earth pursuits? If Zhao’s film has any saving graces, it’s that there are some interesting snatches of characterisation amid the common or garden superhero mulch. The idea of a standalone movie starring Kumail Nanjiani’s Bollywood A-lister Kingo or even Henry’s gay dad Phastos (certainly in the hands of a genuine visionary such as Waititi) somehow seems a lot more palatable than Eternals 2: Let’s Meet Some More Blimmin Eternals.

This is very tiring to me.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[Pop Culture] a genuine visionary such as Waititi

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Waititi is good but he's going to be stuck with Disney forever because it makes the big money and Disney is trying to get good grace by keeping around a well-liked director.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

josh04 posted:

This is very tiring to me.

this sounds like they want Bewitched to come back to television.

"what if kingo just had regular problems like you and me that he couldn't fix with magical finger guns?"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

god man i was looking at the release schedule is things are really grim. these giant whales that are comic book movies are now all year round because of the pandemic. no window for smaller movies to make good money without these behemoths
yearly marvel giant whale movies, even multiple-per-year, have been a thing for past several years now. the age of the sort of 80s/90s small/mid-budget flicks largely died out by 2005

however, thanks to the likes of A24/annapurna, small budget movies have had a fantastic resurgence the past couple of years, and hopefully that continues. just absolute bangers made on budgets of like $1mill to $20 mill and doing extremely well because they dont have the expectation of BILLIONS of epsteinbucks profits to produce.

it's also viable because in this age, really cheap stabilizers and cameras can look as good as the big whales and editting software and such has become so good and cheap. and then on the advertising side: word of mouth, streaming services, and other specific online targetting lets them get out the word without a $5000 million buckaroo marketing blitz that Disney et. al poo poo out.

a24 is going to singlehandedly save cinema lol

Xaris has issued a correction as of 19:14 on Nov 9, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I love my gay dad, Phastos

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Xaris posted:

yearly marvel giant whale movies, even multiple-per-year, have been a thing for past several years now. the age of the sort of 80s/90s small/mid-budget flicks largely died out by 2005

however, thanks to the likes of A24/annapurna, small budget movies have had a fantastic resurgence the past couple of years, and hopefully that continues. just absolute bangers made on budgets of like $1mill to $20 mill and doing extremely well because they dont have the expectation of BILLIONS of epsteinbucks profits to produce.

Blumhouse is hit and miss but I support movies with a budget in the single digit millions. The new Invisible Man was very good.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Waititi is good but he's going to be stuck with Disney forever because it makes the big money and Disney is trying to get good grace by keeping around a well-liked director.

Waititi is good but I've never seen anything by him that made me think "visionary".

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

josh04 posted:

Waititi is good but I've never seen anything by him that made me think "visionary".

He just seems like someone who likes to make goofy out there movies. I really liked both the series and the movie "what we did in the shadows".

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Blumhouse is hit and miss but I support movies with a budget in the single digit millions. The new Invisible Man was very good.
yeah blumhouse is another pretty good one; and yeah really most are hit or miss but at least A24 has a pretty good batting average for what it does.

i hope the future is death of the mega-billion hollywoo disney universal poo poo and more small-budget flicks where directors are handed a few million and told to go film whatever their vision is. instead of design-by-commitee/design-by-algo digital entertainment equivalent of soylent poo poo slurries that have been pumped out.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Xaris posted:

it's also viable because in this age, really cheap stabilizers and cameras can look as good as the big whales and editting software and such has become so good and cheap. and then on the advertising side: word of mouth, streaming services, and other specific online targetting lets them get out the word without a $5000 million buckaroo marketing blitz that Disney et. al poo poo out.

i wasn't talking about yearly, i was talking about all year round. lower budget movies are doing really poorly now

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

wattiti is going to poo poo all over The Incal and I am already super mad about it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

i wasn't talking about yearly, i was talking about all year round. lower budget movies are doing really poorly now
oops, my bad.

oh, well yeah pandemic is making most all movies do really poorly. i think they have more leeway and future on streaming services because of demand for content and being cheap enough that they aren't expected to make back $2 billion bucks. and theaters themselves are dying.

one of my favorite movies of this year (surprise, a small-budget A24 flick), The Green Knight, managed to release during a pandemic in theaters and still made 25% profit which seems pretty good all things considered

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MCU doing another mega-arc would be stupid. Thanos is done and Endgame was the peak.
Think bigger, think fractally. Arc--> mega-arc --> giga-arc

i say swears online posted:

remember how every movie until like 1963 was a western, until all of a sudden they weren't
I'm looking forward to the Spaghettihero Movies.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Xaris posted:

oops, my bad.

oh, well yeah pandemic is making most all movies do really poorly. i think they have more leeway and future on streaming services because of demand for content and being cheap enough that they aren't expected to make back $2 billion bucks. and theaters themselves are dying.

one of my favorite movies of this year (surprise, a small-budget A24 flick), The Green Knight, managed to release during a pandemic in theaters and still made 25% profit which seems pretty good all things considered

i am surprised to learn about the green knight making a profit. that is very encouraging. i dont think arthouse stuff ends up straight to streaming at the end of this, it just ends up dying. their cheap offerings are entirely aimed at general audiences

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
netflix made a western with cgi blood instead of squibs. grim poo poo.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

people give a24 a lot of poo poo, some of it deserved, but what other studio is doing similarly high quality low/mid budget original/non-IP movies?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

people give a24 a lot of poo poo, some of it deserved, but what other studio is doing similarly high quality low/mid budget original/non-IP movies?

My only complaint about them is that the Midsommar: Director's Cut 4k Blu-Ray doesn't have any other features or the theatrical cut of the film. The packaging and art was really cool tho.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

disney plus op

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Judakel posted:

netflix made a western with cgi blood instead of squibs. grim poo poo.

what are you, matt christman

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

netflix made a western with cgi blood instead of squibs.

Judakel posted:

grim poo poo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

My only complaint about them is that the Midsommar: Director's Cut 4k Blu-Ray doesn't have any other features or the theatrical cut of the film. The packaging and art was really cool tho.
you still buy blu-rays? lol

although i absolutely loved midsommar, easily one of my favorites of it's type and year, I didn't like the midsommar director's cut much. it kinda hosed up pacing and seemed to unneedlessly beat you over the head with CHRISTIAN IS BAD, GET IT? *bonk* HOW ABOUT NOW? no? *bonk*

there was maybe 1 valuable scene in it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

what are you, matt christman

you don't think it looks awful?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

you still buy blu-rays? lol

for stuff I've seen and already like, yeah

Xaris posted:

although i absolutely loved midsommar, easily one of my favorites of it's type and year, I didn't like the midsommar director's cut much. it kinda hosed up pacing and seemed to unneedlessly beat you over the head with CHRISTIAN IS BAD, GET IT? *bonk* HOW ABOUT NOW? no? *bonk*

there was maybe 1 valuable scene in it

Yeah I agree, the theatrical cut is superior. Christian works better as a character when he's not as overtly lovely, and his decisions seem to be coming from a place of never considering how his actions/lack thereof might affect the people around him.

I looked it up afterwards and basically every scene that was added was in the first act of the movie, and mostly Dani and Christian being a couple whose relationship is falling apart.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man that movie stressed me out so much

I should watch it again.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God gay, so what

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Judakel posted:

you don't think it looks awful?

if it looks bad it's because the director has no taste, not because it was done in post

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

if it looks bad it's because the director has no taste, not because it was done in post

i've never seen cgi blood look good

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Judakel posted:

The best it can possibly look is unnoticeable - it doesn't take you out of the movie by looking like fake, cgi blood.

Conversely, the best practical effects/squibs can possibly look is very noticeable and, even knowing that it is fake, fooling your mind into going "WHOA HOLY poo poo THAT GUY'S LEG GOT BLOWN OFF!!!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Well his next big project is gonna be...

Frog Act posted:

wattiti is going to poo poo all over The Incal and I am already super mad about it

...yeah.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think the Incal movie is getting made

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I hope not. I hope instead we get a Metabaron tv series or something that isn’t quite as likely to be completely gutted and rendered monochromatic, at least that would kinda fit the Metabaron sagas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cgi blood rules (timestamp'd)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8I9H07wKw&t=95s

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/chron/status/1458153667819974659?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Judakel posted:

I thought it looked pretty good in Too Old to Die Young, and even Only God Forgives, but they're also heavily Refn-stylized movies so it's okay. likewise, John Wick uses it and it's in an over-the-top sort of graphic way that's alright but not great.

but yes, nominally its usually very bad.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Xaris posted:

I thought it looked pretty good in Too Old to Die Young, and even Only God Forgives, but they're also heavily Refn-stylized movies so it's okay. likewise, John Wick uses it and it's in an over-the-top sort of graphic way that's alright but not great.

but yes, nominally its usually very bad.

from just looking at screencaps of too old, i can see it is doing enough with lighting to make that possible. same with only god. it doesn't work when you can actually see it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The last real action movies are coming out of Southeast Asia.

E: did you just use "nominally" to mean normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

it has been one movie that has been out for like four days

this is the f-35 modernization program of pop culture