Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's more offensive than that because at least those other movies aren't titled like "BruceWillis: punches to the face"

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I really like the movie I just wish they focused more on the corn and maybe the people growing and harvesting the corn.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
See Jason Takes Manhattan being 95% on a boat going to Manhattan.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Imagined posted:

Also, having grown up where tornados are common, unless that RV was a LOT more heavily armored than it looked, all staking it to the road would mean is that the shredded remains of the RV would be easy to find after the tornado passed. I've seen 2x4s driven through cinderblock walls. A lot of movies make this mistake with tornados, even, famously, Twister, the movie about tornados, i.e. it's not the wind -- it's what else is in the wind. A tornado is not a small hurricane, where you tie everything down and ride out the wind. A tornado is the cartoon Tasmanian Devil carrying meat cleavers in both hands.
I still like the moment in Twister where they're trying to find a place to hide, open up a shed, and just go :stare: "What kind of psycho lives here??" because it looks like they just stumbled onto the set of a horror movie.

Push El Burrito posted:

I really like the movie I just wish they focused more on the corn and maybe the people growing and harvesting the corn.
It sounds like you may best be served by visiting Nebraska, which is not my typical travel advice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Also, having grown up where tornados are common, unless that RV was a LOT more heavily armored than it looked, all staking it to the road would mean is that the shredded remains of the RV would be easy to find after the tornado passed. I've seen 2x4s driven through cinderblock walls. A lot of movies make this mistake with tornados, even, famously, Twister, the movie about tornados, i.e. it's not the wind -- it's what else is in the wind. A tornado is not a small hurricane, where you tie everything down and ride out the wind. A tornado is the cartoon Tasmanian Devil carrying meat cleavers in both hands.

Yeah as much as I enjoy Twister, plot armor is in full effect for the protagonists, and that includes the 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 with optional V10, now available at your local Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth dealer. (Check how often the windscreen heals itself between cuts, it's practically a Blues Brother.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The original title of “Jason takes his time getting to manhattan” was judged as too long.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zero_Grade posted:

I still like the moment in Twister where they're trying to find a place to hide, open up a shed, and just go :stare: "What kind of psycho lives here??" because it looks like they just stumbled onto the set of a horror movie.

Makes me laugh cause it's a bunch of farm equipment and tools out on a farm. Bill Paxton, who the gently caress do you think lives there?

Other thing you also notice in the ending is the CG debris in the air is super concentrated but it isnt shredding them and they only react for dramatic effect to a few things that arent non-descript blurs or chunks. And when they tie themselves to pipes that run "at least 30 feet down" with some old leather straps... there are so many ways beside debris that they are super dead.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Explicable because filming in Manhattan is insanely expensive. Filming in a cornfield somewhat less so.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MariusLecter posted:

Makes me laugh cause it's a bunch of farm equipment and tools out on a farm. Bill Paxton, who the gently caress do you think lives there?

Other thing you also notice in the ending is the CG debris in the air is super concentrated but it isnt shredding them and they only react for dramatic effect to a few things that arent non-descript blurs or chunks. And when they tie themselves to pipes that run "at least 30 feet down" with some old leather straps... there are so many ways beside debris that they are super dead.

Also the amazing moment where 4 tornadoes approach from all sides on the bridge and they just kind of spin the car around and go away.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Explicable because filming in Manhattan is insanely expensive. Filming in a cornfield somewhat less so.

Outside of the scene in Times Square "Manhattan" was actually Vancouver.

Apparently one of the most difficult big cities to film in is Tokyo where getting permits is expensive and almost never actually happens. So when Justin Lin was filming Tokyo Drift (without permits) the studio hired a guy who's job was to go "I'm Justin Lin" if the cops ever showed up to arrest him. Which did happen once.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jason Takes Manhattan should've been a remake of King Kong.

Some New York filmmaker types take a trip to Crystal Lake, find Jason chained to the bottom of the lake, take him back to New York where they show him off to a paying audience as a part of a promotional gimmick for the premiere of their slasher film but he breaks loose, kills a few dozen people, and stalks the final girl to the top of the Empire State Building where she throws him off the top and he gets splattered on the pavement below while a bunch of surly New Yorkers walk by and barely react.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The true terror of the corn movie is how many people the corn will kill by being turned into high fructose corn syrup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They could make a sequel and call it Children of The Corn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

The true terror of the corn movie is how many people the corn will kill by being turned into high fructose corn syrup.

That's called vegan honey now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly think of Children of the Corn like that Simpsons parody of a different story about terrifying psychic children.

You know, that whole formula would work for a story that ends up actually being about small town hell and children fighting back against abuse.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
As someone from a small town in the middle of nowhere, I enjoy media that draws attention to the fact that something horrifying could be happening in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and it might be months before anyone on their way through noticed.

Phantasm does this pretty well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Aren't a good chunk of Stephen King stories like that? Salem's Lot, It comes to mind, especially with bullies who basically attempt murder on the reg with absolutely no consequences.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Ready or not should have ended with nothing supernatural going on at all. Just the sun rises and... Nothing. Rich assholes have been killing others to maintain their position for no good reason is a much more compelling tale

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

As someone from a small town in the middle of nowhere, I enjoy media that draws attention to the fact that something horrifying could be happening in a small town in the middle of nowhere, and it might be months before anyone on their way through noticed.

Phantasm does this pretty well.

quote:

But Holmes shook his head gravely.

“Do you know, Watson,” said he, “that it is one of the curses of a mind with a turn like mine that I must look at everything with reference to my own special subject. You look at these scattered houses, and you are impressed by their beauty. I look at them, and the only thought which comes to me is a feeling of their isolation and of the impunity with which crime may be committed there.”

“Good heavens!” I cried. “Who would associate crime with these dear old homesteads?”

“They always fill me with a certain horror. It is my belief, Watson, founded upon my experience, that the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

This is why I live in a Metropolis.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Torquemada posted:

This is why I live in a Metropolis.

But then you've got all those robots and mad scientists and/or aliens to deal with.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In BFE, no one can hear you scream.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You know, the start of that quote does come to mind that it gives some credence to the theory that Sherlock Holmes presents a lot as autistic. Especially given that he has a fixation, and he knows he has a fixation, and other people don't see the world or think the same way that he does.

Isn't there also a bit in an early story where Sherlock does one of his readings and concludes (incorrectly) that Watson's brother must be a shady figure, and then genuinely apologises for making an on the spot and erroneous judgement and voicing it without thinking of the consequences?

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You know, the start of that quote does come to mind that it gives some credence to the theory that Sherlock Holmes presents a lot as autistic. Especially given that he has a fixation, and he knows he has a fixation, and other people don't see the world or think the same way that he does.

Isn't there also a bit in an early story where Sherlock does one of his readings and concludes (incorrectly) that Watson's brother must be a shady figure, and then genuinely apologises for making an on the spot and erroneous judgement and voicing it without thinking of the consequences?

I'd have to go look it up, but I think it's that he does his whole "reading the history of an object" schtick on Watson's watch, and is super gleefully enumerating all the ways it's previous owner was a terrible drunken sot who fell on hard times, and then Watson's like "yeah dude I know, he was my brother, I inherited this from him after he drank himself to death," and Holmes has to apologise for being an insensitive rear end in a top hat.

Edit; no wait, I was totally wrong. It's from the sign of the four, and Watson gives him his watch as a riddle (mostly to get him to stop lying around shooting cocaine all day). Holmes immediately deduces it's the brother's watch, and then says;

"He was a man of untidy habits - very untidy and careless. He was left with good prospects, but he threw away his chances, lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity, and finally, taking to drink, he died. That is all I can gather."

Watson is incensed - not because Holmes is wrong, but because he's so right that he assumes Holmes has already enquired about his family and is playing a cruel joke on him by pretending to deduce his family drama. Holmes then apologises, saying:

"Viewing the matter as an abstract problem, I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you."

So yeah; he's not wrong about Watson's brother, but he does apologise for not thinking through the consequences of voicing his deductions.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Nov 10, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Beachcomber posted:

But then you've got all those robots and mad scientists and/or aliens to deal with.

Eh not my problem. That flying immigrant can deal with em.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Breetai posted:

Ready or not should have ended with nothing supernatural going on at all. Just the sun rises and... Nothing. Rich assholes have been killing others to maintain their position for no good reason is a much more compelling tale

Counterpoint: Rich people exploding is awesome.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Saw the latest Bond movie and my irritating thing is that I guess it really relies on having seen the previous film (Spectre?) which I did but barely paid attention to cause it kinda sucked. This bond though? Very good and a not a little bit sad, probably the best Craig Bond.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Burning through You on Netflix with my girlfriend, almost done season 2, but these are all season 1 complaints...not that I don't also have ones for season 2, but one season at a time.

First of all, and this is a general complaint I guess, the sheer LUCK that Joe has not getting caught when, by all rights, he absolutely should have.

But that's to be expected in narratives, generally if a TV show/movie/book was too realistic, it'd be boring. Ok, fine.

But honestly my main problem is why the gently caress are so many people obsessed with Beck? She is a blank slate of a nothing basic bitch. I don't think she had a shred of personality in the entire season, yet Joe, Peach, and to an extent Benji and Dr.Nicky, all want nothing more than to be with her all the time.

And beyond that, it's still absurd that Joe was able to keep Benji and then later Beck trapped in the basement. We KNOW it's not a soundproof "cage", it has airholes and he has conversations with them through it. No way they couldn't have yelled loud enough for someone in the bookstore to hear.

Edit: Actually, I will say a couple things about season 2 because it ramps up the coincidences and Joe's absurd luck by like 1000x.

So he walks by where Love works and, once again, gets infatuated. So he is able to con his way into a job (after also somehow easily finding a guy who can make fake identities?), and then also magically walks into a house party that Henderson is at, AND finds an apartment that PERFECTLY has a view of Love's place, AND the apartment manager and her sister ALSO have a connection to Henderson, as do Love and her brother.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Nov 10, 2021

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The mood lightens a lot toward the end when bond dies lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Breetai posted:

Yeah but on the other hand the family all exploding and then Definitely Not Satan showing up and going "gently caress yeah" was loving rad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

The mood lightens a lot toward the end when bond dies lol

That would almost make it worth watching Spectre so it makes "sense".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Burning through You on Netflix with my girlfriend, almost done season 2, but these are all season 1 complaints...not that I don't also have ones for season 2, but one season at a time.

First of all, and this is a general complaint I guess, the sheer LUCK that Joe has not getting caught when, by all rights, he absolutely should have.

Edit: Actually, I will say a couple things about season 2 because it ramps up the coincidences and Joe's absurd luck by like 1000x.

So he walks by where Love works and, once again, gets infatuated. So he is able to con his way into a job (after also somehow easily finding a guy who can make fake identities?), and then also magically walks into a house party that Henderson is at, AND finds an apartment that PERFECTLY has a view of Love's place, AND the apartment manager and her sister ALSO have a connection to Henderson, as do Love and her brother.

Obviously the show is over the top but its central point is definitely "handsome white men will always get the benefit of the doubt."

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Breetai posted:

Counterpoint: I laughed so hard at the end of that film I think I may have peed a little.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

But that's to be expected in narratives, generally if a TV show/movie/book was too realistic, it'd be boring. Ok, fine.

But honestly my main problem is why the gently caress are so many people obsessed with Beck? She is a blank slate of a nothing basic bitch. I don't think she had a shred of personality in the entire season, yet Joe, Peach, and to an extent Benji and Dr.Nicky, all want nothing more than to be with her all the time.

And beyond that, it's still absurd that Joe was able to keep Benji and then later Beck trapped in the basement. We KNOW it's not a soundproof "cage", it has airholes and he has conversations with them through it. No way they couldn't have yelled loud enough for someone in the bookstore to hear.

Beck is the blank slate some women can project themselves onto, similar to Bella Swan.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Imagined posted:

In BFE, no one can hear you scream.

I've been thinking about this, and I know it sounds dumb because people don't rationally choose to scream, but all i'm saying is that maybe people in horror movie situations should just stop screaming so drat much when they are in that kind of situation. Yes your friend is being taken away by the forest mutant denizens, but they haven't seen you yet. Until you start screaming. It's an established fact that in the movies, the more you scream the sooner you are to die. Just don't do it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Unrelated note: why are there never any toilets in alien prisons in movies/tv? They are always these clean sanitary spaces guarded by an energy field. Where does the turds go

ok maybe they can beam it out, but why not set up a hole that automatically beams it out, instead of relying on the guards to phone up the captain and notify them of it

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Nov 11, 2021

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Unrelated note: why are there never any toilets in alien prisons in movies/tv? They are always these clean sanitary spaces guarded by an energy field. Where does the turds go

You pee/poop on the energy field and it disintegrates, bing bong so simple.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Breetai posted:

You pee/poop on the energy field and it disintegrates, bing bong so simple.

The pee part would be fine, but it takes some practice to reliably launch the turd without pressing things right up against the field, which risks unpleasant burning sensations

look the point is, just give the alien prisoners a hole for some dignity instead of having to make sure every little bit gets disintegrated

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Breetai posted:

Ready or Not was an operetta about class warfare in America and the importance of the second amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ok maybe they can beam it out, but why not set up a hole that automatically beams it out, instead of relying on the guards to phone up the captain and notify them of it

On the TV show The Flash they would regularly lock bad guys up in these tiny cells with nothing in them and it took years before they finally addressed the toilet issue. (Turns out they folded out from the wall.)