Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kraftwerk posted:

This entire vehicle does not seem the least bit out of place in a game like Cyberpunk 2077. I can totally imagine some Max Headroom looking cyborg types coming out of these to shoot at you. It's pretty much what someone in the 1980s imagines a 2022 car to look like.

I like that there's 3 watches in the piano key cover glovebox and one ready to go next to the gear shift too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

This entire vehicle does not seem the least bit out of place in a game like Cyberpunk 2077. I can totally imagine some Max Headroom looking cyborg types coming out of these to shoot at you. It's pretty much what someone in the 1980s imagines a 2022 car to look like.

Having the touch screen be as far down and out of view as physically possible is extremely cyberpunk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I like that there's 3 watches in the piano key cover glovebox and one ready to go next to the gear shift too.

I need several spare Rolexes on me at all times in case I need to trade one for a brick of cocaine.

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

CVT Chat: Isn't the CVT in the new Honda Civic 1.5Ts really good?

I test drove one and it was surprisingly good, even compared to the DSG in my A3. No idea what it’s like to live with though

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That Hyundai absolutely slaps

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ford is showing off a little more of the Bronco Raptor.

https://twitter.com/caranddriver/status/1457902490943381505?s=21

No details on the engine yet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ford pisses me off because they have these awesome new vehicles that Godzilla or the Predator fit in, but they think everything needs an ecoboost.

Meanwhile chrysler doesn't have anything newer than the 2011 charger to stick the Hellcat into but they still put it in everything.

Just give everything 760hp and let the lawyers sort it out

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Powershift posted:

Ford pisses me off because they have these awesome new vehicles that Godzilla or the Predator fit in, but they think everything needs an ecoboost.

Meanwhile chrysler doesn't have anything newer than the 2011 charger to stick the Hellcat into but they still put it in everything.

Just give everything 760hp and let the lawyers sort it out

I think you want the DR:

https://twitter.com/fordperformance/status/1458160862896828428?s=21

Although "fits" a Bronco might be a stretch. It looks like some of the cooling stuff had to be moved behind the driver.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It has some cool features:

I really dig the infinity mirror lights

And some baffling ones:

Have to say that I wasn't sold on it after the first few photos but those ones really knocked it up a notch, very cool.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Zero One posted:

Ford is showing off a little more of the Bronco Raptor.

https://twitter.com/caranddriver/status/1457902490943381505?s=21

No details on the engine yet.

Excited to take delivery of my 2023 Bronco Raptor in 2025

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Zero One posted:

I think you want the DR:

https://twitter.com/fordperformance/status/1458160862896828428?s=21

Although "fits" a Bronco might be a stretch. It looks like some of the cooling stuff had to be moved behind the driver.

That could well be a weight/because race car thing. Deboss ran a tape measure over the stock engine bay and reckons a Coyote should fit. I mean a 4cyl long engine already fits from factory anyway.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wheeee posted:

How'd you get on the VIP list?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wheeee posted:

Alegedly Ford doesn't have the ability to make all the 21 "First Editions" that they sold and are not producing any in 22. So they've been telling dealers that those customers can be first in line for the Raptor. At long as they pay the higher price, I guess.

FORD hasn't been doing a good job with the launch.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Zero One posted:

Alegedly Ford doesn't have the ability to make all the 21 "First Editions" that they sold and are not producing any in 22. So they've been telling dealers that those customers can be first in line for the Raptor. At long as they pay the higher price, I guess.

FORD hasn't been doing a good job with the launch.

I wouldn't pin this too hard on Ford, it must suck trying to launch a hot new model in 2021 aka automotive manufacturing hellworld.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

kill me now posted:

I wouldn't pin this too hard on Ford, it must suck trying to launch a hot new model in 2021 aka automotive manufacturing hellworld.

You should see all of the boomers buying Mavericks acting like not getting it in September maaaybe October is some existential crisis and that they're getting scammed at every level because Ford said "Fall". Even worse if it's one of the hybrids that won't start delivery until January.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

darnon posted:

You should see all of the boomers buying Mavericks acting like not getting it in September maaaybe October is some existential crisis and that they're getting scammed at every level because Ford said "Fall". Even worse if it's one of the hybrids that won't start delivery until January.

Same with MachE and F-150 owners are crying "class action lawsuit" because BlueCruise got delayed from fall 2021 to early 2022. For a feature that they haven't purchased yet because it will be a subscription when it goes live. *

Like what is your goal with litigation? For a refund? You haven't purchased your Maverick /BlueCruise sub yet. To get it faster? A lawsuit will take years and you'd still be waiting long after everyone else has theirs.

*Yes there was hardware package to buy too but that hardware is in the cars now... they got what they paid for there. It might only be worth damages if they give up on the feature and never release it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's the only way they can punish a manufacturer for advertising something they didn't deliver on

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

People should be suing companies more often in general.

Don’t simp for capital.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
But suing for a delayed new project (instead of something meaningful like labor rights, environmental, etc) is only going to line the pockets of corporate lawyers.

It's lose-lose for us.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

kill me now posted:

For the record I'm a huge Ford homer, and I've owned something like 9 or 10 Ford vehicles so far in my life and will probably keep buying new Ford vehicles in the future.

If this was an isolated incident due to the current hellworld I could see giving them a pass. Ford has hosed up multiple product launches in the last few years, so I'm not inclined to give them a pass.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-ford-mustang-s650-hybrid-powertrain-rumor/amp/

Excited for the shitshow of a release of the new Mustang.

It’s probably going to be real good tho

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
An AWD hybrid V8 where the front wheels are driven by the electric motors? :getin:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Get hype for a $50,000 American GT-R that in a few years will be available on lots everywhere to any goober who can get eight year dealership financing.

Gonna be able to fit so many telephone poles in this bad boy.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
If it somehow comes with a stick it'll be the first time I've actually wanted a new Mustang.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

chupacabron posted:

I test drove one and it was surprisingly good, even compared to the DSG in my A3. No idea what it’s like to live with though

Can’t speak for the current gen, but in my 10th gen Civic 1.5T it was completely fine and much more livable than the Nissan and Subaru CVT’s that I’ve driven over the years.

I think one of the big differences is that the 1.5T gives plenty of torque at lower RPM’s, so you avoid the high RPM droning issue that affects CVT’s in other compacts.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

kill me now posted:

First editions are limited to 2500 (or 2000)

_2000_ they couldn't build _2000_

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

adaz posted:

First editions are limited to 2500 (or 2000)

_2000_ they couldn't build _2000_

Just from my own first hand experience, bmw has had issues building cars with the following features at times over the past 4 months.

Harmon Kardon audio
Lumbar support
Power seats
Sirius XM
Touch screens
Specific wood trims
All season tires
Heads up display
Adaptive dampers
Digital keys
Parking assist
Wireless charging

Not the end of the world if a specific feature is temporary deleted from a package or vehicle spec, but if you have a set in stone 1st edition trim it makes it a lot harder to build the car without a promised feature.

2021 is auto production planner hell world

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

That Hyundai is amazing and if they build one for real without ruining it, I will buy it. :toxx:

You can just buy a Chrysler lebaron now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

kill me now posted:

2021 is auto production planner hell world

One of the biggest item of this year Microsoft event is a module for Dynamics(business management suite) that handle supply chain interruptions, which had more fanfare than windows or office. I honestly think that forward thinking managers will start dropping some JIT items from their workflows, rebuilding some factories on the same continent their fabs are rather than praying panamax ships don’t get bogged down in ports.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SlowBloke posted:

One of the biggest item of this year Microsoft event is a module for Dynamics(business management suite) that handle supply chain interruptions, which had more fanfare than windows or office. I honestly think that forward thinking managers will start dropping some JIT items from their workflows, rebuilding some factories on the same continent their fabs are rather than praying panamax ships don’t get bogged down in ports.

They won't. The returns to shareholders for offshoring manufacturing have been amazing, and they're selling everything they make.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Rented a car in Europe today that would make a US dealer sweat to have on his lot:

Audi A3
Hatchback
Manual
Cloth seats
No sunroof

giant premium lcd dashboard
Radar cruise control
automatic parking assist
lane departure warning
lane assist
wireless phone charger
wireless CarPlay

It was fantastic and felt like an updated version of my old GTI. Playing with the Audi USA configuration makes it pretty obvious you can’t get anything close back home.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If they did that people would complain about the customization and demand that all options are covered by 3 trim levels.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you want an Audi with custom options, you have to buy a Porsche.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

gr corolla when

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

If you want an Audi with custom options, you have to buy a Porsche.

This is probably what you're getting at, but this side of the pond Audis are very customisable. The options list isn't quite as terrifying as Porsche, but not far off.

Sign of the times, getting my winter wheels put on and the dealer has empty spaces and half the cars in here are used (and expensive)

180k Fr for a 2020 4S with 20k km seems like a lot

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

so like … when does converting a cute late 90s hatchback Subaru or Honda or something get cheap and commonplace? or did cash for clunkers kill the dream of economies of scale for this idea

I feel like electrifying ancient Corollas could be a niche

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Conversions will never be cheap or commonplace. They're for enthusiasts not people looking to save money.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

dissss posted:

Conversions will never be cheap or commonplace. They're for enthusiasts not people looking to save money.

Yeah I converted a Toyota Yaris to electric nearly a decade ago using fairly cheap components (series wound DC motor, relatively small lithium phosphate battery) and even back then when electric cars were pretty rare it would still have been way easier and probably cheaper to just buy a used Nissan Leaf or something.

I hardly got to use it because I moved country after it was rolling but before it was engineered and registered, but it was very fun to drive a cheap little hatchback with an electric motor. I kept the original 5 speed manual gearbox mostly because it was a convenient way to connect the motor to the wheels. Because it was electric you could come to a stop still in gear and you could easily start moving in 2nd. I drove it a few times when the clutch wasn't properly hooked up and it wasn't too difficult to shift without it because the motor has relatively low inertia, you'd need to rev-match to downshift though.

Remember that the ICE does more than just run the wheels though, when doing a conversion you're going to need to find an alternative for:

- Power steering (if the car came with hydraulic steering, which is likely if it's an older donor)
- Source of cabin heat for demisting the windscreen
- Source of vacuum for brake boosting
- If it has a conventional torque converter auto that you want to keep you need to idle the electric motor as they don't work when stationary

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/4LLgyLi.mp4

cool cool cool

if one were try to sell a car with intermittent, hard to reproduce issues what is the correct way to 'advertise' it? how much less should I expect to get for it?
also has anyone ITT owned a stinger? I hate the idea of giving up a stick for my dd but there's really nothing I want on today's market and I'm over this RS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Hype train for integra tonight