Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/itssamanthaaaa_/status/1457820319146774529

Follow through for some :stare: citations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:dogstare:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I take pleasure in the rage behind Raab’s eyes as he is forced to go on National television and wipe poo poo off his forehead for Boris

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Check out this incredibly cursed company I found while doing some investigative stuff at work today:

KARLMARX HOLDINGS LIMITED

It's the holding company for Oxygen Electric Bikes, South Yorkshire Electric Bike Centre, and Sea Scooter UK Ltd.

I never made it to vol 2. of Capital myself so missed the bits about weird electric personal transportation systems.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

It works in fairness to them. My GP was like "hey we could apply for *whatever they call ESA now/whenever this was, I forget*" & I just noped out of it, could not face those cunts.

It should be a much bigger outrage but it won't be. It'd be genuinely more humane to euthanise the long-term unemployed than this cruel demonization & sanctions regime until people kill themselves or starve to death.

Pls don't euthanise me just yet but I guess leave the option on the table for if I run out of money for food

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My office (which can be reasonably described as Extremely Woke) is doing a survey

Is, uh, "underclass" an accepted term? :stare:

E: :siren: Critical Race Theory mentioned :siren: this is literally the first time I've seen it in the wild outside of the internet

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 9, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

Pls don't euthanise me just yet but I guess leave the option on the table for if I run out of money for food

I do not want to see anyone euthanised, i want a welfare system that doesn't leave anyone behind. I'm just saying euthanasia would be kinder than letting people starve to death after sanctioning them for "only" spending 30 hours a week job searching instead of 35

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My office (which can be reasonably described as Extremely Woke) is doing a survey

I'm a member of the posting classes

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
"underclass" is refreshingly uneuphemistic, I'll say that much

E: although it should cover a lot more of those scenarios than "mostly unemployed"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

I do not want to see anyone euthanised, i want a welfare system that doesn't leave anyone behind. I'm just saying euthanasia would be kinder than letting people starve to death after sanctioning them for "only" spending 30 hours a week job searching instead of 35

I know you don't, it was just a depressed person attempting some gallows humour

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My dad was skilled working class and owned a big house and business. Going by that table I'm lower middle, but I own gently caress all and barely make the living wage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's called social mobility. By the next generation everyone will be titled an earl but live in a hole in the ground and be property of serco.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tarnop posted:

I know you don't, it was just a depressed person attempting some gallows humour

:sympathy:

keep punching joe posted:

My dad was skilled working class and owned a big house and business. Going by that table I'm lower middle, but I own gently caress all and barely make the living wage.

And that's why the traditional British conception of class is loving useless on the whole. What matters is do you make money for someone else or do you profit from other people's labour? Proletariat, bourgeoisie, and also a few smaller groups like petty-booj & nobility. And I suppose still the lumpenproletariat/underclass but I've always kind of hated the way that term has been used by Marxists, in a very judgemental and moralist way where the lumpenprole is bad.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What about 'precariat' that one doesn't seem judgemental.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What about the JAMMERS

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

E: :siren: Critical Race Theory mentioned :siren: this is literally the first time I've seen it in the wild outside of the internet

My housewife mum will love being deemed underclass because she stayed at home to raise kids.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lungboy posted:

My housewife mum will love being deemed underclass because she stayed at home to raise kids.

Is this...translated from some other language? Especially at that last one about 'upper class' - 'other marker of high nobility to success' indeed.

Underclass might be lumpenproletariat I guess.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I made the euthanasia argument in a phonecall to ATOS over 10 years ago as a satirical protest. Oh how I yearn for the compassion and stability of the early Cameron years....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lump n proletariat

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I identify as an untermensch, but my da bought a big tophat and monocle from a costume shop so I'm trans-class

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

The charges are higher than a standard meter. Most of the places you can top don’t take card, or charge anywhere up to £1 extra for a card payment. And they’re always in areas with bad access to cash points so if there is a cash point available it’ll be one that charges a quid to withdraw. And this is all for people who are struggling with debt or don’t have good credit for a regular meter.
There was a guy in the queue in front of me in the co-op who was trying to top up £15 and the machine wasn't working. The kid behind the counter was trying to tell him the nearest top up machine that was open 'late' (i.e. past 4 on a sunday) was a town or 2 over, and the poor guy muttered about how he doesn't have a car. This was last week when it was down to 0° overnight. They managed it eventually but I felt awful for the guy.

One thing I wonder about is if you're on welfare support, you can get your local council to help with bills. How does that work with key meters? Do you need to keep receipts and claim it back? Can you get help with that or is it yet another technicality that absolutely fucks the poor?

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’ve just bought a house where the previous owner had some debt issues and the house has a prepayment electricity meter. It’s such a scam!

Assuming you *don't* have problems with debt (having just bought a house and all), you can get it removed and go back to a guess-how-much-I'll-use-this-year tarrif.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

lmao why does no one in this country know what class is

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

You could do some numbers on Twitter with that poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm happy for someone else to do twitter numbers with it, twit away

I'm not doxxing myself by naming the source though :colbert:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I'm a member of the posting classes

I'm from a class of posting members :gizz:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

lmao why does no one in this country know what class is

Because class is a slippery and extremely subjective thing. The Marxist definition of it is very useful for dealing with the broad picture of economics and politics at a national level, but a definition that lumps a jobbing builder in with Elon Musk and a quant with a Deliveroo driver is a bit too blunt when you're talking about opportunity and equality at an individual level.

Of course the definition they've gone for there *also* isn't much use in that it would seem to knock me up a social class because my mum worked in a sweet shop and a restaurant while my dad was a maintenance fitter (although had done pretty much every job describable as "skilled manual" in his life). It feels really out of date (or possibly American *and* out of date) because the sector you work in hasn't really been a useful delineator of "class" at least outside of the very upper reaches of the middle class and the lower bits of the upper class, where a barrister is going to look down on a property developer even if the latter is sitting on 10 times the cash.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ich bin ein Untermensch

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

where a barrister is going to look down on a property developer even if the latter is sitting on 10 times the cash.
otoh have you seen what people with QC after their name post on twitter?

That must have done more for disabusing the notion that they're some kind of special class of good deduction havers or the idea that they get to look down on anyone than a thousand communist newspapers have.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

This is so much bollocks.
And so bloody 'linear'.
Many peoples' lives don't fit neatly into any of those boxes. The one thing I can safely say about my parents is they both came from skilled, working class backgrounds (factory workers, foundry/postal workers) and never had any money. We used to have the welfare van visit in the 60s and it wasn't until the early 70s dad finally moved into 'middle-class' occupation thanks to evening classes and so forth.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Because class is a slippery and extremely subjective thing. The Marxist definition of it is very useful for dealing with the broad picture of economics and politics at a national level, but a definition that lumps a jobbing builder in with Elon Musk and a quant with a Deliveroo driver is a bit too blunt when you're talking about opportunity and equality at an individual level.

Of course the definition they've gone for there *also* isn't much use in that it would seem to knock me up a social class because my mum worked in a sweet shop and a restaurant while my dad was a maintenance fitter (although had done pretty much every job describable as "skilled manual" in his life). It feels really out of date (or possibly American *and* out of date) because the sector you work in hasn't really been a useful delineator of "class" at least outside of the very upper reaches of the middle class and the lower bits of the upper class, where a barrister is going to look down on a property developer even if the latter is sitting on 10 times the cash.

It just feels a little too close to 'class is how much money you have' for me, which is very superficial. Obviously there's a big difference between your Bill Gates multi-billionaire and a guy who came over from Iraq as a refugee and runs a kebab shop on Blackburn high street, but I think we have a lot more to gain than to lose by articulating the Marxist framework. If nothing else it would emphasises that the whole existence of the middle class is a cynical strategy by which Capital protects itself and give people some way to understand who their real enemies are. But it would also decouple class context from both concrete wealth and silly cultural markers like whether or not you like beer over wine or football over opera. Because yes, there are poor capitalists and there are wealthy proletarians! How can we explain that? That's when ideas of privilege start to intersect with the hard economics, opening up room for even more cool discussion, esp on race/gender etc. But all the while emphasising that the class structure as a whole is at the root of the entire thing.

e: your post also put me in the mind of the old aristos who consider themselves the top of the pyramid despite not being able to heat more than a single room of their old manor houses that haven't been maintained since 1923. I feel like we overcomplicate things in Britain because the old 'British class system' continues to influence our discourse despite being a completely different thing to more structural frameworks, be they Marxist or otherwise. So when we talk about class we often conflate these things and talk past each other because we're using words that mean completely different things to everyone in the argument.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 9, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gove and Raab are 100% angling for the top job today.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

serious gaylord posted:

I unironically hope they get it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1458147769869242369

Lmao.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I welcome my second job, but I call on my mates from uni to go further, and offer me dozens more cushy sinecures

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't know how the gently caress people who do 12 hour days regularly manage it, I'm loving knackered.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

Boris is going to set them both up to fail as much as he can... talking of which:

https://twitter.com/eurojournalENG/status/1458098031920881666

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

And he should be bloody thankful from the looks of things

https://twitter.com/bp_cena/status/1458150994555162630?s=21

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Don't know how the gently caress people who do 12 hour days regularly manage it, I'm loving knackered.

i do 12 hour shifts. the key is to have a job where you only have around 6-7 hours of actual work per shift (ideally even less), the rest of it being spent on waiting for something to happen (while posting on sa, for examle :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Forever, the Boy Absolute