Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

What about using it as background noise while MMO grinding or cleaning?

I basically treat his long form stuff like a podcast. I do miss his tighter videos though.

En route to your location

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
you could listen to literally anything else

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I can only listen to it in parts myself.. (so far the show sounds even worse than Icarly tho. Blatant 16year old sexualization, dear lord.)

I need some Tucker Carlson bashing (from our good friend Jose) to cleanse my palate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGpjIrYXM4

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is Quinton okay? Like not even as a joke.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mokinokaro posted:

What about using it as background noise while MMO grinding or cleaning?

I basically treat his long form stuff like a podcast. I do miss his tighter videos though.

i mean you could listen to any other video though. like that dude talking about anime from cults or whatever. like the dudes summarizing a lovely tween show sitcom episode by episode.

Famethrowa posted:

you and I both know it will be bonedry recaps of absolutely nothing episodes

why. whats the point.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
You couldn't loving pay me to watch this recent Quinton stuff.

His History Channel video was real good tho.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zedd posted:

Is Quinton okay? Like not even as a joke.

Honestly I wonder. The first one was a Patreon thing half as a joke but now?

I can only conclude they seem to be working for him.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's also part 1 of 2, so this is video 3 of 5 in the Dan Schneider avoidathon that is currently at 13 hours and 14 minutes.

What the gently caress.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Judging by the iCarly videos, this is some sort of weird self-therapy for Quinton. He clearly wants to do this, and is only egged on by his Patreon donors.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Crosspeice posted:

It's also part 1 of 2, so this is video 3 of 5 in the Dan Schneider avoidathon that is currently at 13 hours and 14 minutes.

What the gently caress.

Since he's mentioned he WILL cover that, I can only guess it'll be part of some final thoughts video whenever he ends this madness.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I feel like at this point with how hard he's going out of his way to avoid anything of actual substance, it'll just be a throwaway line at the end of a 12th 9 hour video or whatever that basically amounts to "and yeah Dan Schneider is a bit of a perv but I still enjoyed all these shows." Roll credits.

I'm sure it won't be that, but there's basically no reason to go around all the bushes in the arboretum like this if he was gonna say anything even the tiniest bit meaningful.

That CJ the X video that got linked last time it came up covered so much more than Quinton already has, in less than an hour and a half, while having a central focus point for the way he went about it. Plus he made, like, actual jokes and was insightful stuff. It wasn't just reading wikia plot summaries for a bajillion hours.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Since he's mentioned he WILL cover that, I can only guess it'll be part of some final thoughts video whenever he ends this madness.

It will be like 10 minutes. I like long in depth videos but summary of a tween sit com sounds mind bendingly boring.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's certainly a far cry from Noah Caldwell-Gervais or even Jenny Nicholson's longer stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's certainly a far cry from Noah Caldwell-Gervais or even Jenny Nicholson's longer stuff.

or tehsnaker or other folks. i even enjoy tim rodgers ramblings then "let me sumerize another season of tween girl with blog or whatever" I genuinly don't mind summery videos, especially of poo poo i probably wont watch or whatever BUT this is 5 hours over loving nick sitcom.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Changing the topic slightly, I've found a -100 subscriber channel that seems pretty good.

Here's the video on Two Distant Strangers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSrxagteZKk

And Thoughts on They Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwa6NQ5SJWc

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually kinda enjoyed the iCarly series, but I'm kinda fascinated by 2000's North American pop culture since a lot of it was a part of my adolescence but there are many things that went over my head at the time just because I wasn't American and I watched localized versions of the thing.

It's sorta useful for my job too since I teach ESL and knowing cultural trivia is useful when you need to kill some time during a class.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

To be quite frank Quinton just wants his audience to re-live the shows with him and actually critiquing them comes later.
You can be both to be sure but that clearly isn't the point with this. He wants to be there para-socially in 2012 onwards to have water-cooler chats about the latest episodes with only occasional moments of hindsight and critical thought.

It's his previous work consumed by a fandom-larp brainworm.

In other news poparena has decided to to an huge 2-parter involving the Kids choice awards and he's covering every single one. I would pretty watch it sooner than this one.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I imagine that those Quinton videos are incredibly great for engagement on youtube. People love talking about stuff that make them nostalgic.
But am I right to understand that they are basically just those "X EXPLAINED!!!" videos that are just recaps for very easy to understand movies, but for Nickelodeon live action shows?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sarcopenia posted:

I imagine that those Quinton videos are incredibly great for engagement on youtube. People love talking about stuff that make them nostalgic.
But am I right to understand that they are basically just those "X EXPLAINED!!!" videos that are just recaps for very easy to understand movies, but for Nickelodeon live action shows?

Kind of? He gives his opinions and some behind the scenes stuff about the show (avoiding that one particular topic) but most of the videos are him talking about specific episodes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

Kind of? He gives his opinions and some behind the scenes stuff about the show (avoiding that one particular topic) but most of the videos are him talking about specific episodes.
Huh. It is such a weird choice to not talk about the thing, but I guess it doesn't fit with what he's going for if it's more of a cozy fluff thing.
I don't think I have that kind of nostalgia for any show where I would want to listen to a 4 hour mostly recap on it. Especially with these kinds of raaandom, "hijinks of the week" shows with so little progression and character development.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'd say it's a guarantee that he'll do multi-hour videos for Sam & Cat, Henry Danger and Game Shakers

he should do a multi-hour video about HAND Shakers imo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

looking at hand shakers for that long will melt your brain quicker and more effectively than any 00s kids sitcom.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ailumao posted:

looking at hand shakers for that long will melt your brain quicker and more effectively than any 00s kids sitcom.
not sure what you mean

https://i.imgur.com/LZxT8Pg.mp4

unrelated to anything, i love to spin around and around and around

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The 7th Guest posted:

not sure what you mean

https://i.imgur.com/LZxT8Pg.mp4

unrelated to anything, i love to spin around and around and around

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i'll forever be in awe at the fact that hand shakers somehow GOT A SEQUEL

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sarcopenia posted:

Huh. It is such a weird choice to not talk about the thing, but I guess it doesn't fit with what he's going for if it's more of a cozy fluff thing.
I don't think I have that kind of nostalgia for any show where I would want to listen to a 4 hour mostly recap on it. Especially with these kinds of raaandom, "hijinks of the week" shows with so little progression and character development.

In the two iCarly ones there's bits where he goes "hmm HUM hmmMMMM" at Dan Schneider or some other writer contriving to make a teen girl act out a fetish, but then drops it and walks away. It wouldn't be so bad to push off whatever reckoning he has for that if it weren't already guaranteed to be like a one-hour footnote (at the most) to what will be a video series you can watch for 4 days straight through without interruption at this rate, and these aren't shows interesting enough to need that kind of granular breakdown to start with. It'd be like if the old Allison Pregler Charmed videos were stretched out to 4x as long by just dryly recapping more pointless nonsense.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This whole Quinton series feels like one of those books that's an episode by episode guide to The Simpsons except if those cataloged every crime committed by the main characters and kept obliquely referencing the fact that Matt Groening was on the flight logs

fun hater
May 24, 2009

also those shows were dog rear end to begin with so hearing someone recite a truncated version of it in a monotone is literally the only way to make them less palatable to the human spirit

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fun hater posted:

also those shows were dog rear end to begin with so hearing someone recite a truncated version of it in a monotone is literally the only way to make them less palatable to the human spirit

This is not an accurate description of his delivery.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sarcopenia posted:

They are also doing gangbusters if we go by views.

They suck though. Don't get the appeal.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TQtpk468uY

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

MiddleOne posted:

They suck though. Don't get the appeal.

The thing that keeps me going (well rather, coming back to it) is the opposite of nostalgia since I never saw the show
Its sheer disgust at just how clearly these episodes are just fetish after fetish. A shorter review wouldnt get the same feeling across.
But I am not sure if the results are worth all that time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIemfjmIak

:allears:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 9, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DeafNote posted:

The thing that keeps me going (well rather, coming back to it) is the opposite of nostalgia since I never saw the show
Its sheer disgust at just how clearly these episodes are just fetish after fetish. A shorter review wouldnt get the same feeling across.
But I am not sure if the results are worth all that time.

I'm finding it pretty breezy to watch, I think Quinton is trying to do what Tim Rogers does to varying degrees of success. Victorious is kinda hosed up too.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19agNVzxaA

What if Shakespeare, but during a rave?

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Big Joel is dishing out Sea Lion discourse (and may or may not be sea lioning himself?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1457952432063975425

https://mobile.twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1457980744735891458

My own half-baked takes at the moment: it gave us a great term/concept but the comic is incredibly flawed, and only grows moreso the more we are removed from its initial Gamergate context.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

im glad people are taking drewtoothpaste to task at last for the heinous crime of making a joke

fun hater
May 24, 2009

sorry if im grumpy but that guy who does "what makes this song stink" was too good and now i hate everyone else

e: also the comic is about men. like. its not a catch-all for every minority lol

fun hater fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 9, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dias posted:

I'm finding it pretty breezy to watch, I think Quinton is trying to do what Tim Rogers does to varying degrees of success. Victorious is kinda hosed up too.

Yeah, CJ the X's video reminded me there is actually an Victorious episode where they all go to the beach and feature things like Ariana Grande's character getting sprayed with water while in a swimsuit or the rest of the cast heavily sweating in swimsuits because Dan Schneider is a giant pervert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Siding with the sealion is suspect, at the very least a yellow flag on being a Bore