Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

There's still some hope that there might be good and long lasting immunity after dose three. After all, that's how Hepatitis and some other vaccines work. But it'll take some months to be sure (and many years to know if immunity ends up lifelong).

Even if it ends up a twice yearly thing, it's probably worth it for risk groups and those who want to be extra safe. With improving treatments, eventually covid will be over, or at least a non issue that you don't worry about more than you worried about flu in 2019.

But for now, you've probably got a scary winter wave to look forward to, if Europe is any indication.

E: Neat, page 100 snipe :coronatoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Platystemon posted:

Everyone in this thread has said dumb things at one time or another.

I recall that Rosalind had some exceedingly eyebrow‐raising takes about masks.

PPV has said a lot of stuff that I am honestly surprised he hasn’t been probed for, but saying that the vaccines were rushed isn’t one of them.

One reason for this might be that he hasn’t actually used that word in this thread. 🤔

If you're referring to posts I made in February and early March of 2020, I was echoing guidance from the CDC and many of the epidemiologists I work with. They were wrong about this. I was wrong to echo this. I have subsequently posted in this very thread about where to find good cheap masks, for instance.

I can admit when I was wrong about something, unlike you who seems unable to address the first part of the sentence where PPV said the vaccines aren't real so is instead now lashing out.

poll plane variant posted:

The vaccines' real-world performance and the effectiveness of piecemeal NPIs all seem pretty debatable in the face of Delta just cycling back and forth with waves of pretty much identical size everywhere, whether you're Florida or Singapore. It really seems like the only way to put a dent in this disease is the China/Taiwan/HK approach which obviously won't be repeated elsewhere. Obviously individuals should get vaccinated and wear properly fitting N95 or equivalent masks, but the vaccines really don't seem to be putting a dent in this either.

Maybe we're starting to be able to pick out lower ifr in high vax countries with big waves (Denmark), but even testing is ideologically aligned with vaccines so a high vaccine rate area seems like it will inevitably catch more asymptomatic cases by surveillance testing vs a "covid isn't real" jurisdiction.

The global spread of American ideological polarization is incredibly frustrating when trying to pick anything out of the numbers.

So when you posted that you wonder if the vaccines are real, what did you mean by that?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

GBS gave you an avatar for being so antivax fake news. It's not shocking you are the guy defending the open antivaxxer

All I did was point out that Rosalind has chosen quite possibly the worst angle of attack on PPV’s position. That’s basically the opposite of a defense.

P.S.: Please quote a single piece of “weird fake vaccine news” back at me. I’ve been drawing blanks since July as to what got them so worked up, and I wish I had a plausible answer so I could laugh at it.

e:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The vaccines' real-world performance and the effectiveness of piecemeal NPIs all seem pretty debatable in the face of Delta just cycling back and forth with waves of pretty much identical size everywhere, whether you're Florida or Singapore. It really seems like the only way to put a dent in this disease is the China/Taiwan/HK approach which obviously won't be repeated elsewhere. Obviously individuals should get vaccinated and wear properly fitting N95 or equivalent masks, but the vaccines really don't seem to be putting a dent in this either.

Maybe we're starting to be able to pick out lower ifr in high vax countries with big waves (Denmark), but even testing is ideologically aligned with vaccines so a high vaccine rate area seems like it will inevitably catch more asymptomatic cases by surveillance testing vs a "covid isn't real" jurisdiction.

The global spread of American ideological polarization is incredibly frustrating when trying to pick anything out of the numbers.

Oh that's weird, the vast majority of hospitalizations, intubations and deaths are from those who aren't vaccinated at all. That's not debatable in the loving slightest.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 9, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

All I did was point out that Rosalind has chosen quite possibly the worst angle of attack on PPV’s position. That’s basically the opposite of a defense.

P.S.: Please quote a single piece of “weird fake vaccine news” back at me. I’ve been drawing blanks since July as to what got them so worked up, and I wish I had a plausible answer so I could laugh at it.

you are literally in the GBA thread right this second posting about some weird unfounded fear vaccines cause polymer allergies.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Rosalind posted:

So when you posted that you wonder if the vaccines are real, what did you mean by that?

How much of the efficacy of the vaccines in the waning+Delta era is just pro-vaxxers taking other "covid is real" measures? We can see in prison outbreaks that if you're repeatedly being challenged with covid by antivax guards where aerosol NPIs don't meaningfully exist, it plummets (though fresh Moderna holds on in the 50% range which is definitely something). We can see in Denmark or Singapore that you can gin up a huge wave on breakthroughs. It's pretty impossible to pick this stuff apart because of differences in testing and the ideologically driven association between testing, masks, and vaccines.

Meanwhile you still got Chise and co out there talking about how we don't need boosters because the vaccines are essentially sterilizing or whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

How much of the efficacy of the vaccines in the waning+Delta era is just pro-vaxxers taking other "covid is real" measures? We can see in prison outbreaks that if you're repeatedly being challenged with covid by antivax guards where aerosol NPIs don't meaningfully exist, it plummets (though fresh Moderna holds on in the 50% range which is definitely something). We can see in Denmark or Singapore that you can gin up a huge wave on breakthroughs. It's pretty impossible to pick this stuff apart because of differences in testing and the ideologically driven association between testing, masks, and vaccines.

Meanwhile you still got Chise and co out there talking about how we don't need boosters because the vaccines are essentially sterilizing or whatever.

If you're wearing Nomex and someone dumps gasoline on you, you're going to end up with burns. At the same time, you're still much better off in a Nomex suit than you are without, why is this so difficult for you to understand?

You still haven't explained the hospitalization/intubation/death rates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you are literally in the GBA thread right this second posting about some weird unfounded fear vaccines cause polymer allergies.

Now first of all that vastly postdates the granting of my title, so I think you may be confused about what we’re looking for here.

It’s also not “weird news” because it’s not news at all. It is my sincere hope that we don’t see PEG allergies develop.

Allergies can happen to almost anything, and repeated exposure is often involved. People who treated smallpox patients sometimes even became allergic to the airborne virus itself.

quote:

“Smallpox handler's lung”

Two reports, one from the 1940s and one from the 1960s showed that, during epidemics, staff in smallpox hospitals who had been repeatedly vaccinated sometimes developed malaise, fever, and pneumonitis without evidence of infection with smallpox or other viruses, and without evidence of allergic reaction to other agents (Howat and Arnott, 1944; Morris Evans and Foreman, 1963). In one outbreak, after investigation of other possible causes, the authors attributed the phenomena to an allergic reaction to inhaled variola. The pulmonary focus of the reaction suggests that there were significant concentrations of respirable variola in the vicinity of smallpox patients. Concentrations of respirable variola high enough to elicit allergic reactions, if true, raise a significant concern for the likelihood of airborne transmission.

Isn’t the immune system fun? I don’t expect to see COVID handler’s lung, but you never know.

PEG allergies themselves aren’t exactly unknown to science.

Even if a tiny number of people do develop allergies, it’s not necessarily a dealbreaker for the shot; allergies vary in severity and can be treated and managed, but it’s still something I hope we never see at all.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 9, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Now first of all that vastly postdates the granting of my title, so I think you may be confused about what we’re looking for here.

It’s also not “weird news” because it’s not news at all. It is my sincere hope that we don’t see PEG allergies develop.

Allergies can happen to almost anything, and repeated exposure is often involved. People who treated smallpox patients sometimes even became allergic to the airborne virus itself.

Isn’t the immune system fun? I don’t expect to see COVID handler’s lung, but you never know.

Even if a tiny number of people do develop allergies, it’s not necessarily a dealbreaker for the shot; allergies vary in severity and can be treated and managed, but it’s still something I hope we never see at all.

the literal gently caress is this bullshit. especially on something that we actively do have developed and over a century of research on. you do not understand poo poo on immunology and are pulling random out of context things to justify posting bullshit

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

There is literally no source for the idea vaccines will cause polymer allergies except you making that up whole cloth then posting out of no where "I hope it won't do this thing" (it absolutely won't do) and now doubling down that in fact yes, you actually do think it will do that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

GBS gave you an avatar for being so antivax fake news. It's not shocking you are the guy defending the open antivaxxer

the GBS thread was calling anyone who wasn't full "BURN THE MASKS!" by April a doomer/caver, maybe not the best threshold of reasonable COVID discourse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UCS Hellmaker posted:

the literal gently caress is this bullshit. especially on something that we actively do have developed and over a century of research on. you do not understand poo poo on immunology and are pulling random out of context things to justify posting bullshit

What claims did I make that are bullshit? That allergies exist? That people can develop allergies throughout their lives? That allergies can be treated and managed?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Trumpy "never back down" thing is consistently the worst part of this thread

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

What claims did I make that are bullshit? That allergies exist? That people can develop allergies throughout their lives? That allergies can be treated and managed?

There is literally no evidence vaccines cause polymer allergies. It's literally a possibility you made up.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

you pulled a bullshit article about "smallpox allergies" which isnt loving real, and literally does not exist. And your trying to push doomerism with that to justify that it is similar to the idea that we could develop an allergic reaction to a component of vaccines. Stop searching pubmed for things to justify your delusions

for fucks sakes the author literally just writes papers on airborne transmission and his idea that many diseases are airborne. and the section you loving quoted is literally a small one paragraph throwaway that literally adds nothing to his paper and shouldn't even be included in it because it literally does not add anything to the thesis he presents. Nor is it even accurate, its not based on any original research but instead on two very dated papers that he did a curious analysis on. Its also loving false

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 9, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Platystemon posted:

You can have one more post to turn whatever the hell you're talking about into a coherent point, otherwise I'm going to ask you to drop it. It's okay to admit you were wrong and move on. There's literally no reason at this point to be worried about a chance that some day, maybe, these vaccines will cause allergic reactions, in some people.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Professor Beetus posted:

You can have one more post to turn whatever the hell you're talking about into a coherent point, otherwise I'm going to ask you to drop it. It's okay to admit you were wrong and move on. There's literally no reason at this point to be worried about a chance that some day, maybe, these vaccines will cause allergic reactions, in some people.

He should have to explain how any of what he is spouting is real. specifically if he starts pulling a random rear end paper to justify an extremely false assertion that people exposed to a disease with immunity will get an allergic reaction when exposed in large quantities to it, instead of it being textbook symptoms of people getting exposed to a disease that they actively are fighting off before it can spread including classic viral infections symptoms of lethargy fever and some pneumonia from respiratory involvement. Like gently caress, its textbook poo poo that literally in the paper he links is so out of place its absurd

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UCS Hellmaker posted:

you pulled a bullshit article about "smallpox allergies" which isnt loving real, and literally does not exist. And your trying to push doomerism with that to justify that it is similar to the idea that we could develop an allergic reaction to a component of vaccines. Stop searching pubmed for things to justify your delusions

I mentioned “smallpox handler’s lung” because I read that article the other day and it was fresh in my mind as an example.

It’s weird and memorable and it underscore the point that people can become allergic to anything, even in that case things no one had likely even conceived of as allergens.

It’s not like it was a load‐bearing component of my argument. I shouldn’t have to provide a source for “people can become allergic to things sometimes”.

Would you have preferred I instead mentioned how people who clean pig carcasses with compressed air can become allergic to parts of their own nervous system?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I sure hope people who get the vaccine don't start spontaneously developing aquagenic urticaria since water is an ingredient.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Professor Beetus posted:

The magic of antivax garbage is if you have to drop one argument you can always just make up another one to replace it.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Fallom posted:

The Trumpy "never back down" thing is consistently the worst part of this thread D&D SomethingAwful the Internet

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
What if aliens came down to invade earth, but it turned out they were allergic to, like, water. That would be so crazy, man.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

I mentioned “smallpox handler’s lung” because I read that article the other day and it was fresh in my mind as an example.

It’s weird and memorable and it underscore the point that people can become allergic to anything, even in that case things no one had likely even conceived of as allergens.

It’s not like it was a load‐bearing component of my argument. I shouldn’t have to provide a source for “people can become allergic to things sometimes”.

Would you have preferred I instead mentioned how people who clean pig carcasses with compressed air can become allergic to parts of their own nervous system?

:clap: absolutely still dumb as gently caress rebuttals that are wrong in every way shape and form. they didnt have a smallpox allergy you dumb gently caress, they had a smallpox infection that their immune system was actively fighting off before it spread to the rest of the body

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rosalind posted:

Saying you wonder if they even are real and calling them "rushed" certainly is though.

Yeah I went back in their post history and saw lots of reasonable posts about vaccines and NPIs and what-not from about a month and a half ago and missed the pondering on their authenticity parts. That and their latest post makes me rescind my defense. Sorry I missed it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rosalind posted:

I sure hope people who get the vaccine don't start spontaneously developing aquagenic urticaria since water is an ingredient.

I got the vaccine and then I turned into a newt and drowned.

I got better though.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I got the vaccine and then I turned into a newt and drowned.

I got better though.

Can we get to the point where people finally see the violence inherent in the system?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/alexismadrigal/status/1458100469369384982

A mere few months ago I would've had a good laugh reading this, but now I dunno. In Melbourne it's been a month since our second massive lockdown ended and for the first time we're not emerging into zero-COVID but into the same world the rest of you have been living in for 18 months, where you're constantly balancing risk against the desire to do at least some of the things that make life worth living, and it sucks, particularly if you consider that we're presumably all going to catch it eventually and so continuing to live uber-cautiously is just chewing up more of your life until the inevitable happens.

(Having said that I probably wouldn't have taken these risks if I had unvaccinated children. On the other hand they're back to in-person schooling, so...)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I know it's been said before but it's important to keep in mind that getting COVID doesn't mean that you're done getting COVID, it just means that you'll likely get it more often over your than someone who avoids it longer. Endemic COVID that is not controlled by adequate vaccination/boosting/NPIs most likely means we'll all get multiple times. If you're in a location with high transmission but rapidly increasing vaccination rates (esp. with low seroprevalence), transmission rates are definitely going to be lower at some point in the future. COVID isn't at endemic levels yet, and it's definitely not at endemic levels in Victoria.

That's why using "we'll all get it eventually" fatalism as a reason to ditch precautions is flimsy, both on the personal and population levels. On the personal level getting COVID less often is better than more often and at the population level lower attack rates are better than higher.

E: But yeah, sorry you have to deal with our hell now. It's no fun.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 9, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
get covid forever until it eventually kills you

so loving great

so glad we just didn't solve this in two weeks

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Any specific reason to think infections get progressively worse till you die instead of the observed pattern that reinfection is generally milder?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Any specific reason to think infections get progressively worse till you die instead of the observed pattern that reinfection is generally milder?

Yeah, I was going to say this too. When your body fights off a disease, your immune system gets stronger, which makes future infections both less likely and milder. There's no reason to believe that catching Covid will make you "get it more often than someone who avoids it longer".

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Stickman posted:

I know it's been said before but it's important to keep in mind that getting COVID doesn't mean that you're done getting COVID, it just means that you'll likely get it more often over your than someone who avoids it longer. Endemic COVID that is not controlled by adequate vaccination/boosting/NPIs most likely means we'll all get multiple times. If you're in a location with high transmission but rapidly increasing vaccination rates (esp. with low seroprevalence), transmission rates are definitely going to be lower at some point in the future. COVID isn't at endemic levels yet, and it's definitely not at endemic levels in Victoria.

I'm not about to throw caution to the wind but I am keen to start doing what the government permits me to (bearing in mind that Australian governments are still significantly stricter than what you'd see in the UK or US). For example I still haven't eaten at a cafe or restaurant since we opened up, even outdoors. It doesn't seem worth the risk at 1,000 statewide cases a day.

I am however attending a sort-of wedding (they've had to put it off multiple times and are just doing a reception and getting properly married later) next week. It'll be about 20-30 people, outdoors, at a venue so everybody will have to be vaccinated. My partner and I are both recently fully vaccinated, so about as well-protected as we're likely to be over the next six months until booster time. We'll Uber there and back because that feels safer than the tram or bus, and we've declined the after-drinks some of our friends are organising.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about it if we were in NSW, where cases are down to 200 or so statewide a day. I'd feel much less comfortable (and wouldn't go) if Victorian cases had skyrocketed up to 10,000 a day, which doesn't seem out of the bounds of possibility either in the coming months. Part of the desire to return to semi-normal life over this summer is the urge to squeeze some living in while it's still safe(r).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Vasukhani posted:

get covid forever until it eventually kills you

so loving great

so glad we just didn't solve this in two weeks

drat, the person who made the decision to *not* solve covid in two weeks really should have reconsidered. Who was that again?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

drat, the person who made the decision to *not* solve covid in two weeks really should have reconsidered. Who was that again?

As the thread IK, I personally take the blame for this. I'm sorry folks, I've let you all down.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
And you call yourself a Professor!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Can I get a peer reviewed citation for this

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Can I get a peer reviewed citation for this

The fact that it's literally how things work unless the strain of the infection is so different that the anitbodies you produce don't function on it. Like, why is it you came here to post dumbshit that even basic googling would tell you how.immunology works

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

So, no? No actual study showing decreased severity with reinfection?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

brugroffil posted:

So, no? No actual study showing decreased severity with reinfection?

Oh sorry do you have a peer reviewed study showing that you keep getting covid worse and worse until you die? I would say the burden is on the person claiming the more outrageous thing in this case, which would be the implication that Vasukhani was making and that you seem to be asserting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't agree with the ridiculous take, but I'm not going to assume that it's just going to get more mild over time.

e: OOCC specifically said "observed pattern," and that jumped out at me. Is it actually an observed pattern as demonstrated by real analysis with respect to COVID, or not?

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 10, 2021