Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Pachylad posted:

My own half-baked takes at the moment: it gave us a great term/concept but the comic is incredibly flawed, and only grows moreso the more we are removed from its initial Gamergate context.

It's "useful" in the sense that it's meant to give a simple descriptor to the kind of weaponized gish gallop tactic early GG engaged in, or the threat of that by dozens of accounts messaging you at once, but like seemingly every other social justice-rooted slang term it quickly gets re-appropriated and misused. Conflating GGers with the immutable nature of being a sea lion doesn't work and they could've done something like "clowns" or "people with silly hats" or something else wacky and it would've worked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
its men!! its about men!! men react like that when you say "i hate men" to express general annoyance at the systems they uphold and they incessant way they needle you about it!!! aaaugh!!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
sealion comic is loving stupid

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
author's defense of the sealion comic is loving lame

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Nothing will ever get better by debating the meaning of a word.

Never forget that language is a demon in your head. You made a deal with it. It lets you trick others in exchange for letting others trick you.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fun hater posted:

its men!! its about men!! men react like that when you say "i hate men" to express general annoyance at the systems they uphold and they incessant way they needle you about it!!! aaaugh!!

This is not the airtight defense you seem to think it is.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ahem, excuse me, you forgot to include and consider every single possible life situation that could make this specific broad and easily understood metaphor offensive.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i've literally never encountered someone misinterpreting this comic before today, wow

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have.

They're rarely the kind of people I enjoy talking to.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I am a sealion

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's "useful" in the sense that it's meant to give a simple descriptor to the kind of weaponized gish gallop tactic early GG engaged in, or the threat of that by dozens of accounts messaging you at once, but like seemingly every other social justice-rooted slang term it quickly gets re-appropriated and misused. Conflating GGers with the immutable nature of being a sea lion doesn't work and they could've done something like "clowns" or "people with silly hats" or something else wacky and it would've worked better.

People should just stop talking in meme-speak altogether.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

let me kramer in for a sec here,

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the sealion comic is very funny in that during the context of when it was published it was obviously and completely about what it intended to be about but its very easy to imagine a younger zoomer seeing it and going "wow this is hosed up" without any of the outside context

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i'm old as hell and this thread, today, is the first time i've heard it's supposed to be about gamergate; so it's not just zoomers, but even geriatric millenials

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you know who drewtoothpaste thinks is a real sea lion, his freakin ex-wife!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Youtube has decided to serve me a platter of lots of UK political commentary.

It's all very milquetoast, apparently my gammon meter isn't high enough. However…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh9raBib6YU

That's one way to have a short intro sequence I guess :dogstare:

A bit too edgy (:haw:) for me, but the audacity

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pachylad posted:

Big Joel is dishing out Sea Lion discourse (and may or may not be sea lioning himself?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1457952432063975425
joel, you shouldn't have quoted the comic in which it is clearly visible that nobody at any point says they don't like sea lions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Impermanent posted:

the sealion comic is very funny in that during the context of when it was published it was obviously and completely about what it intended to be about but its very easy to imagine a younger zoomer seeing it and going "wow this is hosed up" without any of the outside context

it just makes me think the lady is being a bigot about sealions and I am gonna cancel the hell out of her

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think the comic would be funnier if the lady were talking about gamers and that was what the sea lion took offense at but everything else was the same

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I prefer to see it as being literally about sealions and nobody can take that away from me.
(Seals are better in every way)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The sealion reads too much like the average dudebater for people to not get it, really. Big Joel is just unfortunately Twitter poisoned. If you wanted to read it as a criticism of wokescolds the sealion would never engage the people directly, instead they'd post a stream of quote RTs and call their friends on Discord to agree with them about what a serious microaggression towards sealions that was.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joel is such a doofus on twitter. The other day he tweeted about how people don't talk enough about the Jazz design (he didn't know the name but the famous disposable cup art) and was surprised when he found out it's popular.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I like Joel’s videos. They’re extreme-a-ly good

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

emgeejay posted:

I like Joel’s videos. They’re extreme-a-ly good
Yeah, I’m a big fan as well. I’m not going to read any of his recent Twitter poetry though, lol.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i for one, will not stand for sealion racism :colbert:

but yea the context is about annoying people going "debate me" but the comics a bit muddled on that end due to what causes the sealion to start up imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, I’m a big fan as well. I’m not going to read any of his recent Twitter poetry though, lol.

His videos are good stuff he's just a goober and a half on Twitter.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my roommates have been watching the victorious video and not me, but i walked in on the mid-point intermission and he said one of his upcoming videos will be about bootleg garfield merchandise so that might be something i'd actually be into

but he also implied early on in the video, as i predicted, that he is doing a Sam & Cat retrospective next, and there's a pretty good chance that he will in fact do a video on every Schneider show, including Henry Danger and Game Shakers, and then the iCarly revival. so IDK. this is so much time of someone's life to dedicate to mediocre kids sitcoms, but with iCarly I got it because he watched it as a kid. if he does videos about Henry Danger or Game Shakers, there's no nostalgia attached to it, it'd just be like. I dunno. doing a 5 hour video where you read IGN reviews of Playstation 1 games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's also a bad comic because it's a one panel joke stretched out for an entire comic length.

Also like near everything online regardless of if you think it was a valid premise it's been overused and watered down to just mean 'when someone disagrees with me' 90% of the time.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

how do you make that joke work in one panel

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sexpig by night posted:

it's also a bad comic because it's a one panel joke stretched out for an entire comic length.

Also like near everything online regardless of if you think it was a valid premise it's been overused and watered down to just mean 'when someone disagrees with me' 90% of the time.
Your avatar makes this position extremely suss.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

His videos are good stuff he's just a goober and a half on Twitter.

I put Folding Ideas in this category as well

Dias posted:

The sealion reads too much like the average dudebater for people to not get it, really. Big Joel is just unfortunately Twitter poisoned. If you wanted to read it as a criticism of wokescolds the sealion would never engage the people directly, instead they'd post a stream of quote RTs and call their friends on Discord to agree with them about what a serious microaggression towards sealions that was.

The sealion would also subtweet on priv

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

incredible page about the sealion meme from seven years ago guys

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

BrianWilly posted:

Welp. For anyone who's interested, the first episode of my Wonder Woman deep dive video is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0BI69K8Mg

An hour and twenty minutes. :sweatdrop: It mostly ends up as a rumination on William Marston and the strengths and drawbacks of his...ideas. Includes two sidebars into mythology!

Late but I appreciate that you went ahead with the clickbait thumbnail

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

you know who drewtoothpaste thinks is a real sea lion, his freakin ex-wife!

drewtoothpaste did Married to the Sea, the other comic that uses 19th century novel insert art to make twee jokes. The Wondermark guy is a different twee doofus.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

mycot posted:

I put Folding Ideas in this category as well

Is this about his recent NFT tweets?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

The 7th Guest posted:

my roommates have been watching the victorious video and not me, but i walked in on the mid-point intermission and he said one of his upcoming videos will be about bootleg garfield merchandise so that might be something i'd actually be into

but he also implied early on in the video, as i predicted, that he is doing a Sam & Cat retrospective next, and there's a pretty good chance that he will in fact do a video on every Schneider show, including Henry Danger and Game Shakers, and then the iCarly revival. so IDK. this is so much time of someone's life to dedicate to mediocre kids sitcoms, but with iCarly I got it because he watched it as a kid. if he does videos about Henry Danger or Game Shakers, there's no nostalgia attached to it, it'd just be like. I dunno. doing a 5 hour video where you read IGN reviews of Playstation 1 games.

whenever I see the name of that show I think people are talking about henry darger and get exited for a bit

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Pachylad posted:

Is this about his recent NFT tweets?

I don't know what you're referring to and am afraid

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

drewtoothpaste did Married to the Sea, the other comic that uses 19th century novel insert art to make twee jokes. The Wondermark guy is a different twee doofus.

im so mad at myself for making this mistake. i feel like someone emailed my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mycot posted:

I don't know what you're referring to and am afraid
He says they are bad.