Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

!Klams posted:

I'm playing Dune again this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for either snacks I could make, or just general props?

I made a couple of sandworm cakes in the past, and last time the dude playing emperor bought some tassel epaulets and a "prom king" sash, that was pretty hilarious.

We're pretty far down the golden path at this point, so no reference is too obscure, I don't think. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly be playing Bene Gesserit!

I think I asked this before and someone suggested some blue drink as the water of life, this is a great idea.

Pundi or pongi rice crackers from Caladan
Spice coffee (cinnamon)

Don't forget a poison snooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

silvergoose posted:

Food Chain Magnate, Bus, The Great Zimbabwe are all colorful, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Oh didn't realize they did Bus, that's on me. And haven't seen Great Z. But Food Chain Magnate has the absolute worst tiles I've seen in a board game, like they accidentally released the art they were using to prototype the game then decided it wasn't worth making corrections.

I mean look at Antiquity. I realize they're going for a ye Olde style of art here, but you have hundreds of tiles of washed-out colors on top of other washed-out colors with blurry clip art on top of them, most of which are the size of a thumbnail. At that point the graphical style of the game starts to border on actually hampering the experience.

My friend got a bunch of colored acrylic tiles for that and I could not imagine playing without them.

I love their games and their mechanics (well, at least the ones I've played), but drat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The FCM tiles are sparse yes, but later in the game when there’s a ton of stuff on the map it really comes alive while also being very readable. It’s a very functional design. And I say that as someone that also criticized the prototype look of the tiles before playing it a bunch.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What kind of age range is Micro Macro suitable for? Looking at it for possible Christmas presents for relatives. It got mentioned in the SUSD review but more opinions are helpful.

Newest version, Full House, has symbols for theme appropriateness for exactly this reason.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The recent edition of Bus is a redesign by Capstone's people. The original art is certainly colourful though.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

!Klams posted:

I'm playing Dune again this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for either snacks I could make, or just general props?

Have this playing in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZyNc0ajcVw

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Hand someone a cat with a rat taped to its side.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Fellis posted:

Unsweetened cranberry juice or some other bitter drink, and make everyone sip a shot of it during Mentat phase.

YES!

OperaMouse posted:

Pundi or pongi rice crackers from Caladan
Spice coffee (cinnamon)

Don't forget a poison snooper

YES!

Armauk posted:

Have this playing in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZyNc0ajcVw

YES!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Hand someone a cat with a rat taped to its side.

VinceMcMahonFallingOffChair.gif

YEESSSSSS

Gotta work out how I'm gonna do the milk-antidote rat-cat, but I must

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

!Klams posted:

I made a couple of sandworm cakes in the past, and last time the dude playing emperor bought some tassel epaulets and a "prom king" sash, that was pretty hilarious.

We're pretty far down the golden path at this point, so no reference is too obscure, I don't think. For what it's worth, I'll almost certainly be playing Bene Gesserit!

I think I asked this before and someone suggested some blue drink as the water of life, this is a great idea.

Make them some sandwiches.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Just grill up some kebabs and say it’s futar meat.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

You can also add chair dogs.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I threw $1 at the On Mars expansion kickstarter so that I could maybe buy it and the original, and the pledge manager closes tomorrow. I've watched some videos and it seems like it could be a pretty awesome game, but it also seems like it's tremendously complicated. For folks that have it, do you get it to the table much? If you have some experienced gamer friends is it still a tough sell, or did people grok it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Have you played other Lacerda’s? His games tend to be a ton of systems and rules all in the service of very few choices or actions to take throughout a game, which is basically the opposite of what I want in a heavy game. I think a lot of players get wowed by the amount of stuff going on without paying attention to the actual substance of the design.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

!Klams posted:

YEESSSSSS

:sickos:

Legit, I wish I had the free brainpower to do this kind of bullshit for board gaming nights, and just be King Dork for one afternoon.

Playing Tokaido? Make some of the Japanese dishes featured in the game, Sushi, Miso, etc.
Playing The Great Zimbabwae? Make up some Bunny Chow. (Yes, it's South African but it's something I have been curious to try ever since hearing of it like a decade ago, and I didn't see any South African games that seem like I'd want to play. Not that Zimbabwae doesn't also have some troublesome games.)
Playing Concordia? Uh, make Focaccia with 'fresh' Garum or something, I dunno. No one knows what the Romans ate; they probably ate marble.
Playing Netrunner? Hand everyone an unflavored block of firm tofu.
Playing Donner Dinner Party? Well, ahem.. I suppose you won't be around for that one.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Bottom Liner posted:

Have you played other Lacerda’s? His games tend to be a ton of systems and rules all in the service of very few choices or actions to take throughout a game, which is basically the opposite of what I want in a heavy game. I think a lot of players get wowed by the amount of stuff going on without paying attention to the actual substance of the design.

No, I haven't. I've looked at others (lisboa, vinhos, kanban ev) and not been grabbed by any of them, but I figure maybe I'm just missing something and they're actually good.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

a ton of systems and rules all in the service of very few choices or actions to take throughout a game

Wow, this is the articulate summary of my issue with his games that's been rattling around in my brain for years. Still want to play Vinhos and Kanban though.

We just added the Ambition expansion to Roll for the Galaxy and are very impressed with it. The extra dice and tiles blend in seamlessly and even though we haven't touched the objectives yet I foresee them as being kind of like Splendor's lords.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Magnetic North posted:

No one knows what the Romans ate; they probably ate marble.

You got a problem with Apicius? :colbert:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The Romans ate vineleaves and doormice.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

You got a problem with Apicius? :colbert:

Yes of course I DO know what that is. But for those watching at home, why don't you tell everyone else what that is?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Which Dune boardgame? There's now a bunch of those.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mouzer posted:

Newest version, Full House, has symbols for theme appropriateness for exactly this reason.

Oh that's great, thanks!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Magnetic North posted:

Yes of course I DO know what that is. But for those watching at home, why don't you tell everyone else what that is?

It's a Roman cookery book. Yeah, it's full of recipes for rich people so spices and meat are going to be massively overrepresented but it can still give you a good idea of what sort of ingredients were used for "high end" cookery. And garum in everything.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
What's the story with the two micro macro editions - is it just two completely different maps using the same concepts?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

xiw posted:

What's the story with the two micro macro editions - is it just two completely different maps using the same concepts?

Yes, and they connect. Two more will make the full map, hopefully with cases spanning all 4.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
oh no I was hoping i could just get one but now I have to get both

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

VinceMcMahonFallingOffChair.gif

Also, I mentioned this task to my GF because I am a grown man who tells his SO about the funny he made on the internet because. She made the best possible suggestion for a Themed Snack of Dune.

:imunfunny: Sand-wiches :razz:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

!Klams posted:

I made this dessert worm when the movie came out a few weeks ago. The actual recipe instructions on that site are not very good but it mostly worked out.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Radioactive Toy posted:

I made this dessert worm when the movie came out a few weeks ago. The actual recipe instructions on that site are not very good but it mostly worked out.

Oh wow, yours came out way better than mine! Congrats, that's awesome as hell! Nice photography too! Yeah, that recipe is kinda terrible, lol.
It was loving delicious though, I wanna do it again sometime.

Magnetic North posted:

Also, I mentioned this task to my GF because I am a grown man who tells his SO about the funny he made on the internet because. She made the best possible suggestion for a Themed Snack of Dune.

:imunfunny: Sand-wiches :razz:

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Make them some sandwiches.

...neither of you specified the Bene Gesserit connection, so I'm afraid you lose five points.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hmmmm Dune posting.

I still owe thread a trip report on my Halloween party, which was similarly dorky in full lovely costumes.

Everything is coming up Milhouse for game days in November.

Unfathomable has shipped and should arrive by the weekend. So that's lined up along with Fury of Dracula for either this weekend of next.

Merchants of the Dark Road is shipping in 7-10 days so I'll be hosting that + A Feast for Odin at the end of the month.

Getting the beefy boys to the table :slick:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

armorer posted:

I threw $1 at the On Mars expansion kickstarter so that I could maybe buy it and the original, and the pledge manager closes tomorrow. I've watched some videos and it seems like it could be a pretty awesome game, but it also seems like it's tremendously complicated. For folks that have it, do you get it to the table much? If you have some experienced gamer friends is it still a tough sell, or did people grok it?

On Mars is the only game that I insist everyone learns to play before I will bring it. It honestly isn't that tough once you have learned it, and it flows beautifully, but Lacerda loves clockworks and this one is hard to wind. If I were going to recommend a first Lacerda it would always be The Gallerist, followed closely by Escape Plan. They're much more accessible.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The recent edition of Bus is a redesign by Capstone's people. The original art is certainly colourful though.

The Capstone edition has the original board and box art included as part of the extras. I won't say it lacks charm, but I remain glad that Tamara Jannink only insisted that her art be retained on Roads & Boats as part of her sellout deal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

armorer posted:

I got it to the table a bit at the start of 2020, then things happened.

It's a long teach, and some of the systems are interconnected such that things won't click together for a while. Even if you can get people to watch videos you'll still need to go over things.

The game itself isn't that long. It's not short but a 2 hour 4P game is achievable if you have no new people.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So I ordered a copy of A Feast for Odin: The Norwegians and it's got a new mountain strip that it says to shuffle with the rest of the pieces, but it's clearly much larger than the other ones and people online say you're supposed to put it as the very last mountain in 4 player games. I'm confused, which is it? Did I get a misprint or something or are the printed rules wrong?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The official errata says place the long strip at the bottom

It is the last mountain piece to come out.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
jumped through all the hoops to make the Target B2G1 deal really sing, landed Everdell + King of Tokyo: Dark for about $45. Pulled the trigger on Hansa Teutonica Big Box, and likely going to release my hold with that, Western Legends, and Night of the Living Dead just in time to arrive before my birthday - :siren: my first board game night ever :siren: since I got into all this during the pandemic. sounds like we'll have 6, which is a number I'm totally not prepared for, but I think the general idea is to play King of Tokyo: Dark, Flamme Rouge, and Red Dragon Inn, plus anything else if there's still gas in the tank.

or maybe i'll get drunk and buy SidCon or Unfathomable between now and then

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mouzer posted:

Oh hey because I read this, I decided to check my local store's website, and purchased one of the two copies they managed to get in just today

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My play group is starting a thing where second every week we play a game that someone owns but has never played

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

CommonShore posted:

My play group is starting a thing where second every week we play a game that someone owns but has never played

We instituted the opposite policy of this. There always seems to be a new game to try so we now always try to play a game we recently learned or a favorite prior to busting out a new game, if time permits multiple games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

We've had a few different things like that.

Current one is a contest where some people put up lists of games they want to play but don't own. Points are given to those who bring or play those games, and points are lost for buying new games.

I just bring the same games over and over and suggest / teach them at every opportunity. Pretty happy that I've got 6 games of Spirit Island done this year, especially with a 5 month lockdown break.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
The Heroquest reboot is starting to look really bad from what I'm seeing online. Cheap, lovely miniatures with tons of manufacturing problems, bubbles, warping, etc. I might still get it and throw the lovely minis into my "painting practice" pile and get a pack of them 3D printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

!Klams posted:

...neither of you specified the Bene Gesserit connection, so I'm afraid you lose five points.

Is this a joke about the Bene Gesserit being mostly/all women and the misogynistic meme "make me a sandwich"? Or is there something in Dune I don't get to make this less offensive? I only know the basics of the setting.