Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Crossing the multiverses appears to have shrunk the Green Goblin somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Be generous. He just got out of the pool.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Be generous. He just got out of the pool.

Must not be Willem Dafoe then

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I had to roll my eyes when Ikaris just fucks off and flies into the sun, besides it being a little to on the nose, I thought this could finally be the opportunity for the MCU to get a returning villain (besides Loki). Ikaris had a nice setup for a character arc too, and I didn't think he really got much of one in the movie, it felt like at the end he was starting his journey into redeeming himself or something, but nope, just gently caress off and die.

The idea is that ikaris can be reborn as a good guy if marvel wants to use him in the future

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I saw Eternals yesterday, and count me in the camp of having really enjoyed it, and not understanding how these aggregate rankings are rating it below some easily inferior movies. I mean, it's got some flaws but Thor: Dark World, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, The Incredible Hulk, Ant-Man & The Wasp, Iron Man 2 and 3... It surpasses all of those pretty easily. After perusing enough of the critic ratings, the most consistent things I saw were the cast being too big to give everyone an overly elaborate back-story and the run-time. If you actually watch the movie, I don't know what else anyone needs to know besides "they're gods doing god poo poo and they have a lot of conflicted feelings about their assignment." So for reasons I'll mention below, I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.

That said, some spoiler'ed thoughts, in no particular order...

What I liked...

- I thought the cast was pretty strong and their chemistry was on point. You could tell they were a "family" in their own right and the performances conveyed a lot of emotion with less dialog.

- Of the surviving Eternals, I hope we get more of them in other stories, and their own.

- This movie had its share of humor, but it was so nice to finally have an MCU movie with dialog that wasn't just quips on quips on quips. There were some moments where the lines sounded a little stilted and robotic, but they were virtually gods to the Earthlings and only lived among the humans at an arm's length for the most part. Cersei, Kingo and Phastos were the only three to really immerse themselves among humanity as far as we know, so the others not using speech with a conversational parlance made a lot of sense.

- Semi-random note, but I thought it was funny that DC Comics definitely exist in the MCU. However, the overall tone and color palate of the movie felt much more like a DC movie than an MCU one, in a good way. Man of Steel was a movie I really enjoyed that kind of examined the role of Superman in the world - good, bad, indifferent -, and I got a very similar vibe here so I was all-in for it.

- Kind of a continuation of the last point, but it was nice to go see an MCU film and not really feel like I watching another "episode" of the ongoing continuity. It was obviously shackled a bit by having to be consistent with all that, but I didn't think it was to the film's detriment.

- I mentioned this earlier, but there was no point where I felt like I didn't know enough about any of the characters. It was pretty established from the jump which Eternals were going to have an arc (Cersei, Sprite, Ikaris) and the others were there to support. The critical reviews consistently pan the character development of the film, but what else did anyone need to know?

- I typically hate too many flashbacks and exposition, but I thought this movie actually struck a decent balance considering the expansiveness of the cast and the fact that it covers roughly 7,000 years. Even the flashbacks that felt like they were about to cross the line of "too much" were visually interesting enough to keep me engaged.

- Both post-credit scenes, A+++. I had the Harry Styles thing spoiled for me, but when he actually showed up was awesome. I also loved the Ebony Blade reveal for Dane, and the disembodied voice of Blade. Admittedly, I never read a ton of comics featuring Blade or Black Knight, but the story potential within the MCU seems pretty great.

Things I disliked and nitpicks...

- So the Deviants... I get their purpose in the overall story. There needed to be some reason to reunite The Eternals. But if Ikaris was that adamant about preserving the Emergence, it would have made way more sense to just kill Ajak and gently caress off for a few days. The only rationale I could come up with as to why he reunited them was so maybe he could spend his last days on Earth with Cersei instead of fighting her? I don't know, it wasn't quite as stupid as Zemo's "plan" in Civil War, but wasn't great.

- Speaking of the Deviants, they sure went out like a bitch. As soon as the movie was over I told my wife that I knew where the Pitch Meeting video on this movie would drop the "Super Easy. Barely an inconvenience" line, and it would be when Kro was very easily killed by Thena in spite of possessing both Thena and Gilgamesh's powers at that point.

- Considering how the Deviants were set up, it was disappointing that at least Kro didn't end up teaming up with them. They're cut from the same "cloth," if you will, and it would have made a ton of sense for them to help since their goals were completely aligned.

- I know it boils down to "because comics," but the way Cersei defeated Tiamat, unimind and all, just seemed... too easy. Especially with only 7 of them available to participate at that point.

Misc...

- I guess "mad weary," if I was hearing that right, is basically dementia for the Eternals based on how Angelina Jolie portrayed her through most of the movie.

- So people DO bang in the MCU? Nice. There are actually out LBGTQI+ members of the universe, too? Great!

- I don't think I care what Pip and Eros get up to the next time we see them, but I'm 100% on board for it. That was the most excited I've been over a stinger in a very long time.

- When Phastos was talking about making "10 bracelets" for the Unimind, I wonder if that was there to explain the 10 Rings? Originally, Eternals was supposed to release before Shang Chi. At that rate, I'd have to think he created those rings on some other mission he doesn't remember and somehow they ended up preserved and ended up in human hands. Just a hunch, but would also explain why the metals "aren't anything we've seen before." Just speculating.

- The ending of the movie, especially the post-credits, made me think that once Guardians 3 comes and goes, Eternals must be our replacement for big cosmic adventures.

- I'd unironically love to see one of Kingo's movies. Speaking of which, I thoroughly enjoyed him and Karun and their banter.

- Early on when the Eternals still believed they were from "Olympia," I couldn't help but think of if and when we will see Hercules in a future movie or series.

- Rather than the question of "why didn't the Eternals help with Thanos?," I thought a bigger question was "how have Eternals not come up or been referenced, at all, up to this point?" I mean, the REAL answer is because the movie wasn't planned yet, but in-universe, it seems like someone would have mentioned them as a thing at some point. Or maybe the overwhelming majority of MCU denizens just don't know poo poo about the Celestials and how they come to exist?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A couple of comments on Doronin's post, spoiler spec for future movies based on the post-credits scenes:

Pip and Eros are probably a link to Guardians 3, not what comes after. They're regular companions of Adam Warlock, who has been teased in both Guardians movies so far.

Blade and Dane Whitman have a connection in comics - they're both members of MI13, the British intelligence agency that handles superpowered, magical and extra-dimensional threats. That latter is certainly going to be a big part of Phases 4 and 5. Every Marvel fan in the UK is now hoping that this is leading up to a Captain Britain movie or TV series. An MI13 series would probably work better, to be honest. But it is to be hoped that it happens, because the amount of gammon piss that will be boiled if a Muslim woman gets to wield Excalibur could fill the oceans of the world.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I also saw it and really don't understand why it's doing so badly critically. It's fine. There were parts I liked, and I'm generally kind of uninvsted in their stories going forward but like

It was offensively bad or anything. Boring at worst.

The actress for Sprite is absolutely awful though.

Also, was the scene where Gilgamesh drops his pie in anguish meant to be funny? I couldn't tell, and felt really bad for laughing at it because I wasn't sure if it was an attempt at portraying genuine sadness. And if it was meant to be funny... What a weird place to insert a visual gag.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Liking The Eternals is an incorrect opinion

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I think they were going for awkwardly painful. Something so painful that it stops life in mid step.

Sprite was ok. She was meant to be a brat. She was unhappy with her life and resentful of also everyone.

Of the big name actresses, Angelina Jolie did a great job at playing someone who was broke and deeply shaken. Salma didn't do much but stand and spout lines but that's what she was given.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I think this was the first Angelina Jolie movie I actually liked. She was awesome as Thena

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Liking The Eternals is an incorrect opinion

Ok

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

I think this was the first Angelina Jolie movie I actually liked. She was awesome as Thena

Gonna second this, I think the last time I enjoyed a movie she was in was Hackers.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1457773374722117653

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I think we're starting to hit the Law of Diminishing Returns with comic book properties.

The first Avengers movie with Wolverine (and maybe Storm), will gross 2 billion.

Marvels just starting the characters from the 1980s. There's still tons of characters and arcs that haven't been introduced. I imagine in the next 4-5 years nerds will get hyped for Namor, Spider-woman, Mockingbird, Captain Britain, and D-Man.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stewed on this for a day but still came out thinking I liked it, and it was generally solid throughout

I get why it hasn't been as popular, but I feel like it's less a reflection of the actual quality of the movie and more a case of mismatched expectations for "a marvel movie"

It's a family drama and a love story - there's some plot goofiness, and the cast was maybe one or two too large, but I generally thought it was handled well

Angelina and Don Lee were great

I found the double GoT casting funny, and doubly funny with the reveal at the end let's bring in medieval fantasy sword actors and make one of them the medieval fantasy sword wielder guy!

Sersi has deeply unfortunate luck with men

Post credits scenes were great

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I have to say, it's pretty weird that Gemma Chan has been in two separate movies where she plays a character whose goal is to destroy a giant ancient being that's hatching out of the Earth.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Robot Style posted:

I have to say, it's pretty weird that Gemma Chan has been in two separate movies where she plays a character whose goal is to destroy a giant ancient being that's hatching out of the Earth.

Wow. Maybe I do need to see Crazy Rich Asians

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Can anybody evaluate Eternals outside the context of the MCU?

EDIT: Outside of Robot Style.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Is this a copy pasta I've never seen or

Please stop posting like you're on twitter or whatever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Style posted:

I'm glad someone else remembered that

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

KVeezy3 posted:

Truly, because no one on these forums has ever "tl,dr"'d a wall of text. The discourse has been corrupted by TikTok.

The post was thoughtful, but the level of pearl clutching and faux outrage over someone daring to dismiss an effortpost is real weird.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

Truly, because no one on these forums has ever "tl,dr"'d a wall of text. The discourse has been corrupted by TikTok.

The post was thoughtful, but the level of pearl clutching and faux outrage over someone daring to dismiss an effortpost is real weird.

See, now this is a real twitter response.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

The Modern Leper posted:

Why is it weird that posters in a movie discussion forum push back against discouraging discourse?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Modern Leper posted:

Maybe because we don't want to see more snippy image macro dismissals of geniune effortposts in the discussion forum?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

KVeezy3 posted:

Get with the times, old man.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I will say that, for all of Eternals' flaws, more things about it have stuck with me a few days after watching it than was the case for Black Widow, or Shang-Chi, or any of the Disney+ series thus far besides WandaVision (which itself was pretty flawed, but I digress). That counts for something, at least.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

I will say that, for all of Eternals' flaws, more things about it have stuck with me a few days after watching it than was the case for Black Widow, or Shang-Chi, or any of the Disney+ series thus far besides WandaVision (which itself was pretty flawed, but I digress). That counts for something, at least.

High praise indeed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Idgi

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's the Monolith from 2001, if I'm not mistaken. But it could also be the Domo.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Eternals was inconsistently paced and toned. I think it would have been enjoyable as a serious introspective piece, a found-family drama about relationships and dynamics changing over centuries, or a marvel comedy-action movie, but the fact that it is all three in sequence from scene to scene is off-putting.

Visually stunning though. Worth a watch.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Among Us

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Spiderman spoiler.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Let’s loving go.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 9, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

man nurse posted:

Let’s loving go.
I think it removes spoiler tags in quotes (it did for me) so you might want to edit that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Going to need another visual artists debunk video for that one.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I dont believe it, but I'm hopeful for some fun stuff (and hopefully not Tony Stark related)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tom Holland's legs have a real print-media feel to them.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone didn't get my debunk reference earlier, this is what I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PbqGAmUnVU&t=600s

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Modern Leper posted:

I think "wall of text" is doing a lot of work here. It's 3 paragraphs and would maybe be a page in a printed book. I try not to waste the reader's time.

If you're looking for short pithy posts about movies, The Film Dump is probably more to your liking.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Move on y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

High praise indeed.

the highest!