Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah for regions (California) that have time of day rate changes overnight charging becomes very appealing for both end user and the power company currently running their plants at half capacity overnight

Electric ready charging station is going to become the new in unit laundry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

John Oliver's show this week was specifically about the woeful inadequacy of our current transmission grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpiXcyB7wU

It's not great news.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Voters in Maine just voted in a referendum against bringing in power lines from Quebec that would bring heaps of hydro electric CO2 emission free electricity to the North East. That's the sort of thing that will fix the USA's electrical grid issues.

I think politicians are going to need to be a bit more brave here and stick their neck out to get projects like that done regardless of how locally unpopular they may be.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

numberoneposter posted:

wow RBLX keeps bloxin

my buy in was 70 im tempted to take some or all before end of day

Same boat. It's very tempting but I might stick around a bit longer on it. Very excited to regret this at some point in my life.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Yeah for regions (California) that have time of day rate changes overnight charging becomes very appealing for both end user and the power company currently running their plants at half capacity overnight

Electric ready charging station is going to become the new in unit laundry

As solar power increases in use, what exactly is going to be running at half capacity overnight?

Even before you get to the issue of solar power gutting your theoretical excess capacity, you've still got your 5-9pm problem when electricity demand is still huge, except now everyone just finished their commute and plugged in their car, and the solar power issue also kills you hear because you're not getting much power after 5pm.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MykonosFan posted:

Same boat. It's very tempting but I might stick around a bit longer on it. Very excited to regret this at some point in my life.
Out at $107.60. I'm praying for RBLX though!!!

Cyber Sandwich
Nov 16, 2011

Now, Digital!

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

[extremely smug voice] RYCEY

Holy moley canoli I'm up 2% on this.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Hell yes RBLX goonsgrats to all

Setting up some GTC limit sells around $108-110. Our job here is done. :wotwot:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Things were going so well this week and then there's a big ol' miss to send COIN plunging after hours.

I got COIN at IPO and I had just gotten back to being in the green too lolol.

So who is gonna get Rivian at IPO?????? Dare I make the same mistake twice....

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

I'll likely just grab 5-10 shares as a lotto ticket as long as it doesn't open at like $150 or something

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I still haven't gotten allocated yet and I'm not seeing any notices about RIVN yet. I think I signed up for 20

My guess is RIVN lists at $60 or $62 I don't think there's much appetite at the $75 level but lol who knows

I'm interested in filling my order at $60 but I'll probably play catch the knife on the open market if they go much above that

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

I still haven't gotten allocated yet and I'm not seeing any notices about RIVN yet. I think I signed up for 20

My guess is RIVN lists at $60 or $62 I don't think there's much appetite at the $75 level but lol who knows

I'm interested in filling my order at $60 but I'll probably play catch the knife on the open market if they go much above that

Notice of effectiveness just went out, so will price soon. See some reports that it might actually price above 74, which would knock me out. I don't think I want it there, but if anyone of y'all do you should update your ipo orders....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What is the valuation at $75/share, like 85 billion?

I guess they announced they'll be shipping delivery van orders for non Amazon customers starting in about a year

Kind of weird to think commercial users will be the main driver of electric vehicles, but ok whatever, should drive down battery prices significantly, and in five years cities like sf and NYC can ban most commercial diesel vehicles from their streets, which would be awesome for all the black diesel crud that settles on my window sills :catstare:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kase Im Licht posted:

As solar power increases in use, what exactly is going to be running at half capacity overnight?

Even before you get to the issue of solar power gutting your theoretical excess capacity, you've still got your 5-9pm problem when electricity demand is still huge, except now everyone just finished their commute and plugged in their car, and the solar power issue also kills you hear because you're not getting much power after 5pm.

Honestly, the one word answer is "nuclear"

Nuclear started pounding the war drums back in January of this year, Canada is up to their eyeballs in small modular reactors, and Lithuania, Poland, Finland etc are all aboard the nuclear train. It's been a decade since fukashima

France literally just announced that they're doubling down on nuclear

Germany was very bullish on shutting down their nuclear a decade ago but people's memories are short and wintertime energy independence from increasingly economically desperate Russia is certainly a thing

I don't doubt that someday Diablo canyon (sits literally right on the ocean, has it's own harbor) will finally get shut down in California, they have enough hydro and solar capacity to do it, but flat cold places going carbon free isn't going to happen without nuclear, and an added benefit of nuclear is everyone within a 10 mile radius gets their home heated for free. Also there's not a lot of earthquakes or tsunamis in Finland and Baltic states

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Uranium 235 posted:

uranium stocks

Had no idea on these, thank you for this, managed a 3% intraday today :hellyeah:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Holy cow, you're not kidding. I hadn't checked CCJ in a long while.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Honestly, the one word answer is "nuclear"

Nuclear started pounding the war drums back in January of this year, Canada is up to their eyeballs in small modular reactors, and Lithuania, Poland, Finland etc are all aboard the nuclear train. It's been a decade since fukashima

France literally just announced that they're doubling down on nuclear

Germany was very bullish on shutting down their nuclear a decade ago but people's memories are short and wintertime energy independence from increasingly economically desperate Russia is certainly a thing

I don't doubt that someday Diablo canyon (sits literally right on the ocean, has it's own harbor) will finally get shut down in California, they have enough hydro and solar capacity to do it, but flat cold places going carbon free isn't going to happen without nuclear, and an added benefit of nuclear is everyone within a 10 mile radius gets their home heated for free. Also there's not a lot of earthquakes or tsunamis in Finland and Baltic states

vvvvvvv

Cacafuego posted:

Uranium stocks

Uranium 235 posted:

uranium stocks

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Is there a good list of Uranium stocks or a uranium etf? I think UEC was the first one that popped up when googling, but I'm not sure what the meme-worthy uranium tickers are.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

John Oliver's show this week was specifically about the woeful inadequacy of our current transmission grid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpiXcyB7wU

It's not great news.

the revelation that the recently passed once a generation historic infrastructure investment includes enough funding for transmission upgrades to meet ~2% of the estimated need over the next decade was like a physical punch to the gut

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Rivian priced at 78, wild.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Is there a good list of Uranium stocks or a uranium etf? I think UEC was the first one that popped up when googling, but I'm not sure what the meme-worthy uranium tickers are.

If you read Reddit, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/UraniumSqueeze/ or the bull case posts from user 3STMotivation, which is where I got into uranium last year. It’s been a wild, thankfully uphill, ride since then.

I’m mostly in the uranium ETF URNM and a little in UUUU.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I feel like anybody who's not drinking the Tesla-brand Flavor-Aid probably realizes that the power distribution networks in most of the US are nowhere near ready to handle mass EV adoption, much less that the question of how rental properties (many of which use unassigned surface parking) refit to allow charging.

Probably some good money in Chargepoint et al in the next few years, IMHO.

I will say that surface parking lots are not the issue you think they are. Older apartments in North Dakota generally have standard outlets at the parking stalls for engine block heaters, which are especially important for diesels.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Baddog posted:

Rivian priced at 78, wild.

Ordering a pair of knife proof gloves

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
China is very bullish on uranium reactors. Proprietary chargers on EVs once they reach mass adoption is just going to be the EU with USB-C again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

crazypeltast52 posted:

I will say that surface parking lots are not the issue you think they are. Older apartments in North Dakota generally have standard outlets at the parking stalls for engine block heaters, which are especially important for diesels.

Most of the country is not North Dakota.

Will make EV conversion easier in Canada though.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Hah, bought COIN puts yesterday, mashallah

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

Things were going so well this week and then there's a big ol' miss to send COIN plunging after hours.

I got COIN at IPO and I had just gotten back to being in the green too lolol.

There is enough FOMO from years of insane Tesla returns that I expect Rivian will do very well in the short term.

Ford owns 12% so I YOLO'ed some F calls as I expect it will get a good bump if Rivian takes off as a knock-on effect.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Femtosecond posted:

Voters in Maine just voted in a referendum against bringing in power lines from Quebec that would bring heaps of hydro electric CO2 emission free electricity to the North East. That's the sort of thing that will fix the USA's electrical grid issues.

I think politicians are going to need to be a bit more brave here and stick their neck out to get projects like that done regardless of how locally unpopular they may be.

So you're saying politicians should go against what the people want.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Arrival has the same amount of commercial pre orders as rivian and is absolutely cratering at $12. What the poo poo

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

Arrival has the same amount of commercial pre orders as rivian and is absolutely cratering at $12. What the poo poo

See thread title. Company A has YoY revenue growth of 10%, beats EPS estimates by 50%, and has enough cash on hand to operate for 2 years, drops 20%. Company B has a failing business model and is being investigated for lying to SEC, goes up 100%.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
SOFI today is going to be a green day, right?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ouch, PRPL tanking. I really like the bed and pillows, which was why I bought shares, but oof that one hurts.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

cirus posted:

See thread title. Company A has YoY revenue growth of 10%, beats EPS estimates by 50%, and has enough cash on hand to operate for 2 years, drops 20%. Company B has a failing business model and is being investigated for lying to SEC, goes up 100%.

That was also me lol.

I’m having so much fun staring at this line going down. What a rush

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

SoFi sent my RIVN confirmation action email to me at 10:57PM last night, with an 11:59PM expiration. So I guess I’m out

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

6.2% inflation rate

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I got half my RIVN allocation from SoFi, so guess I get to play along.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
First time I've had my shares called away early! I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the covered call was fairly in the money and today is the dividend ex-date (XOM).

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Hadlock posted:

Tell me you knew about the GE deal without telling me you knew about the GE deal

How do we play GE split over the next 6-18 months? Looks like it popped this morning but I don't know how that's going to play long term. JP Morgan gave a really sour analyst report just a few weeks ago

I'm a bit confused why they've decided to spin out the Healthcare and Energy segments, and leave the 'core' company with aviation and their other legacy business.

Like... is building your core business around the building and maintenance of jet engines really going to be an investible proposition within 10-20 years? Without maintaining control of their renewables arm as a parachute?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

HamsterPolice posted:

So you're saying politicians should go against what the people want.

Maybe.

Referendums are the worst way to decide anything because there's no guarantees the public is actually voting the way they do based on the question being asked. Entirely possible that voters in Maine voted against the electricity project not because of project specifics, but because one of the public proponents is a huge jerk and they hate him for [insert unrelated issue].

It's a climate crisis. We're running out of time to reject ideas, punt the ball down the road and iterate on them further. Politicians need to factor this into their decision making.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

2. Motherfucking 2 RIVN shares. I put in my offer for 50, I got 2.

e:

D-Pad posted:

There is enough FOMO from years of insane Tesla returns that I expect Rivian will do very well in the short term.

Ford owns 12% so I YOLO'ed some F calls as I expect it will get a good bump if Rivian takes off as a knock-on effect.

Not a bad idea. I've got some unallocated capital lying around this morning apparently.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 10, 2021