Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We're not getting Sumeru minimum 2 patches because next is just more inazuma, and we have to do chasm before sumeru.

(My guess is we might see not Sumeru until summer, minimum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Well, we got Kazuha before Inazuma, so we might get Baizhu before Sumeru :pray:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

dogsicle posted:

i'm still annoyed that despite me sabotaging every step of the Moonchase contest they still had Xiangling win

Give Smiley Yanxiao his vision dammit :argh:

Also, I finally got a 5* weapon off the standard banner, Primordial Jade Winged-Spear. Not sure who can use it though, Raiden? Do I want to roll for Xiao? I think there's another Cryo spear user down the line.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That weapon is a big deal for Xiao, good on Rosaria+Thomas (when not running favonious on them), weirdly underperforming for Hu Tao/Xiangling.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

No Wave posted:

Isnt diluc the strongest dps???

Fuk yes they be

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Endorph posted:

the only situation where shes dominating the meta is the only thing where the meta matters, correct

Why is the whale meta the only meta that matters? Isn't it the meta that matters the least in this thread?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tanreall posted:

Why is the whale meta the only meta that matters? Isn't it the meta that matters the least in this thread?

if you don't care about the abyss you can just use whoever you like so there is no meta

(you can probably do reasonably well in the abyss by using whoever you like too)

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

shes dominating the abyss 12 meta (which is also what whales use for speedrunning) which is also the only floor you can't clear effortlessly

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Yeah, and there's a meta around C0 5 stars and CX 4 stars. There's even a meta around duo 9 star floor 12 clears. Why is the whale meta important in this thread?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tanreall posted:

Yeah, and there's a meta around C0 5 stars and CX 4 stars. There's even a meta around duo 9 star floor 12 clears. Why is the whale meta important in this thread?

are you really asking why people use the only difficult endgame content in the game as a yardstick?

like, i don't even care about the abyss but it's pretty obvious why that's the goal people have

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
No, I'm asking why the whale meta is the only one that matters. I just stated there are other meta styles that are a lot more pertinent to this thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tanreall posted:

No, I'm asking why the whale meta is the only one that matters. I just stated there are other meta styles that are a lot more pertinent to this thread.

the things you listed are the same thing except wih more qualifiers

"I'll do abyss 12 except with just 4* characters"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
weird hill to die on alert, we got a weird hill to die on

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
Yes, this is a gacha game, so there are tiers of players. Why is the whale tier the only one that's important?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tanreall posted:

Yes, this is a gacha game, so there are tiers of players. Why is the whale tier the only one that's important?

...which is why people said that unless you are trying to clear abyss 12 it doesn't matter and you can just use whoever

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tanreall posted:

ayaka is usually on top of all of those too!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the original post saying she only matters to whale meta was wrong to begin with, so whatever

she works great for me at C0 with the 4* craftable and mid artifacts/talent levels. i've used her just as much with Barb as Mona and the only whaley thing in those teams was also having C0 Kazuha

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Klee is on top of the coolness tier list so you should use her

(she also does fine in the abyss)

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Andrast posted:

...which is why people said that unless you are trying to clear abyss 12 it doesn't matter and you can just use whoever

AshtonDragon posted:

The only situation where she's "dominating the meta" is in whale speedrun poo poo

Endorph posted:

the only situation where shes dominating the meta is the only thing where the meta matters, correct

You understand this is what I'm replying to, right? It's where Endorph suggests that the only meta that matters is the whale speedrun meta. There are other metas that use clearing abyss 12.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i assume the original post was trying to say floor 12 is the whale meta which is what everyone else was disagreeing with in various roundabout ways

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Tanreall posted:

because the only other tier, 'are they fun to play', is entirely subjective and impossible to chart, hth

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tanreall posted:

You understand this is what I'm replying to, right? It's where Endorph suggests that the only meta that matters is the whale speedrun meta. There are other metas that use clearing abyss 12.

Pretty sure endorph's point there is "outdide of abyss 12 it doesn't matter who you use"

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Radical posted:

i assume the original post was trying to say floor 12 is the whale meta which is what everyone else was disagreeing with in various roundabout ways

Okay, so now that people understand can we agree that the whale meta isn't the only meta that matters and it isn't particularly relevant to this thread?

Mix. posted:

because the only other tier, 'are they fun to play', is entirely subjective and impossible to chart, hth

This isn't true. There's plenty of calculations for damage on non-whale teams and characters. It's why people talk about the national team so much.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Andrast posted:

Pretty sure endorph's point there is "outdide of abyss 12 it doesn't matter who you use"

It's possible that's what she meant but it's plainly stated as whale speed running.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

personally prefer the whale speedrun meta to hair splitting meta

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Andrast posted:

Jumpty Dumpty Go!

Klee is the best.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

god i give up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Jumpty Dumpty Go!

Klee is the best.

This is true though

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Nyoro posted:

Is Albedo worth it for a Hu Tao team tho

In the situation you described, yes. He’s the only EM transfer outside of ameno she can reasonably access, and 125 EM is like a 25% vape damage boost. That’s obviously on top of his off field damage.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Andrast posted:

As a f2p who uses Klee, I disagree she does fine in the abyss.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Flair posted:

As a f2p who uses Klee, I disagree she does fine in the abyss.

I use Ning and Klee for everything and it goes fine. I do skip abyss 12 during the seasons it looks annoying though as it isn't particularly fun.

Not pure f2p since i bought some BPs near release and get the occasional welkin but that's it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is this worth getting into with no prior investment in 2021? I remember it being pretty big during the pandemic but didn't pay too much attention but a recent videos piqued my interest. It sounds like exploration is a big piece of the game, which I didn't realize.

Yeah, give it a shot. By joining now the only things you're missing out on are like 4 unique weapons, exploring a mysterious island in some kind of pocket dimension and a some story events that a couple of characters participated in. Nothing really essential.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There is a huge difference between whale speedrunning meta and the typical Abyss 12 meta FWIW. Whale speedrunning meta is what Ayaka excels at, she's not special for general Abyss 12 clearing. Like, if you have 50 total crit substats on every artifact with ideal main stats and C6 every 5* in the game with R5 5* weapons, then yes Ayaka is very important to being able to clear Abyss 12 floors in a single burst rotation.

If you aren't able to clear Abyss 12 right now/can clear it but needs a lot of effort/retries, and want a unit to make it easier, AND have the resources to invest in a new character + weapon, there's a very good chance rolling a C0 Ayaka will not actually help with that meaningfully, especially if you already use Ganyu or don't have Mona + Venti/Kazuha. This is the actual meta people in this thread are most likely to care about, and there the most relevant units to roll for are supports.

Also I have Ayaka with a good Blizz set and the Inazuma crafted weapon maxed out, and I don't really use her because I can't stand moving around with her.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Andrast posted:

I use Ning and Klee for everything and it goes fine. I do skip abyss 12 during the seasons it looks annoying though as it isn't particularly fun.

Not pure f2p since i bought some BPs near release and get the occasional welkin but that's it

This has been my ordeal. I only really use Klee for double pyro with Venti for 12-2 second half, but otherwise, Sucrose taser have honestly been carrying my efforts to maintain 36*.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
ayaka cute

I'm sad I don't have her yet

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ayaka's dominating the dumb haircut meta

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Tanreall posted:

This isn't true. There's plenty of calculations for damage on non-whale teams and characters. It's why people talk about the national team so much.

good thing i said literally nothing about damage, or numbers, but instead whether a character was fun to play :v:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

Mix. posted:

good thing i said literally nothing about damage, or numbers, but instead whether a character was fun to play :v:

Mix. posted:

Well, if you'd like to clarify why there's only whale tier and are they fun to play tier please go right ahead.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Jumpty Dumpty Go!

Klee is the best.

These bombs... so heavy... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Tanreall posted:

Well, if you'd like to clarify why there's only whale tier and are they fun to play tier please go right ahead.

i feel like i shouldn't have to explain the concept of people pulling for characters that are fun regardless of how strong they are or aren't, so i won't :v: