Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sankara posted:

I wonder, what does being an "executive producer" for a podcast entail?

your dad paid for the equipment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm the armorer for my podcast

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

eke out posted:

oh cool big reveal at the end is they're doing a TAZ:balance miniseries on video dm'd by aabria, "three episodes weekly starting november 10th"

going full dimension 20, basically

I hope Griffin plays as Ango.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

how big is your polycule?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Trailer premier 20 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYp3ni9izks

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm mad that this made me laugh

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

John Wick of Dogs posted:

lol

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TL posted:

What DnD class maps to Boy Detective?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zero One posted:

What DnD class maps to Boy Detective?

Inquisitive Rogue, it's basically the RDJ Sherlock Holmes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm mad that this made me laugh

it’s one thing when Boston Thread Discord bleeds into Boston Thread and something else when it bleeds into an unrelated thread about the Brothers

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Stop giving me hope for new Monster Factory, Polygon...

https://www.polygon.com/22770112/adventure-zone-dungeons-and-dragons-imbalance-aabria-iyengar

quote:

Disclosure: Justin McElroy and Griffin McElroy co-founded Polygon before going full-time as podcasters and content creators. Though they still occasionally collaborate on projects at Vox Media, they’re disconnected from all editorial decision-making.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s one thing when Boston Thread Discord bleeds into Boston Thread and something else when it bleeds into an unrelated thread about the Brothers
AHEM I've been a McElroy stan since my grad school friend introduced me to MBMBaM in 2012, which is well before I started posting in the Boston thread :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

TL posted:

I also hope this, with the return of the 3 of them bullying said child

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Does three episodes airing weekly mean three episodes total or three episodes a week? I assume the former but it is oddly phrased.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhh, that isn’t confusing at all. I’m not sure how you could have possibly gotten the latter definition from that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Listening to the Besties I can't help but feel like Justin is a just a giant poo poo about video games.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I've only listened to a couple episodes of Besties and bounced on it, does he just hate every new release or something?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
They were talking about the games they would be discussing next week, Forza and a Call of Duty game, and Justin was pretty up front about not even going to pretend he was playing them.

Just seems like the kinda thing you don't say on the dedicated video game podcast you've chosen to make.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Idk I don't have a lot of time for games and Justin is usually pretty granular about why something doesn't work and I kinda appreciate that advice when it's saving me $70.

They all are pretty honest about not liking things and sometimes some genres are just completely inaccessible to me via skill gaps or time sinks.

I fully admit I'm bad at games. But I also REALLY LIKE THEM and I want to play them, poorly even.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 9, 2021

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Does he go into particulars about why he's not playing them? Could be maybe not be playing Call of Duty on account of it being an Activision Blizzard game, and all the poo poo going on with them right now?

e: pulled up the ep and it seems like he just doesn't like racing or shooting games, I guess.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 9, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I haven't heard the latest one yet but I. The past they all are pretty good about explaining their internal monologue. If you don't identify with it, it's fine and okay, although there can feel like negative energy when they no-sell attempting to play the game -- but that also opens the door to other reviewers expressing how that may be a strength to some.

I feel like it's a normal for a games journo to view games differently, and Justin has explicitly talked about how that's shaped his opinions over time, and burning out playing a single two day session and dumping it isn't the same as playing a game.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I tried listening to the Besties around the time Cyberpunk came out and god were they awful about that game. Yeah, it didn't live up to the hype and it had a bugged release (the performance on last gen consoles is lol. Why even release it on last-gen at that point) but overall it was a solid game IMO. They completely trashed it and I'm convinced Ron Funches didn't even play the loving game because the criticism he kept coming back to was "too much South Park/GTA humor!" which....there isn't really that much of?

I am MAD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES AND PODCASTS THEREOF.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zUh7tWXK1I

typhy
Oct 23, 2019

the thing about besties for me is i enjoy hearing each of them talk about just about anything really, but it's really weird to listen to a podcast whose main purpose is to talk about a specific game you're ostensibly supposed to play along with and then finding out halfway through that 3 out of 4 of them only got 30 minutes into the tutorial lmao

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Previa_fun posted:

I tried listening to the Besties around the time Cyberpunk came out and god were they awful about that game. Yeah, it didn't live up to the hype and it had a bugged release (the performance on last gen consoles is lol. Why even release it on last-gen at that point) but overall it was a solid game IMO. They completely trashed it and I'm convinced Ron Funches didn't even play the loving game because the criticism he kept coming back to was "too much South Park/GTA humor!" which....there isn't really that much of?

There is an absolute ton of it in the game though? Like Borderlands-level bad throughout, not to mention constant terrible references including a straight-up "the cake is a lie!" in TYOOL 2020. Every single billboard has an ad for a dildo, or a gun, or a dildo gun and one character is literally named "Mister Hands." Come on

(And this is from someone who thinks it's a solid 7/10)

change my name fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

literally unbelievable that there are still Cyberpunk 2077 Defenders in this day and age

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

They were talking about the games they would be discussing next week, Forza and a Call of Duty game, and Justin was pretty up front about not even going to pretend he was playing them.

Just seems like the kinda thing you don't say on the dedicated video game podcast you've chosen to make.
IDK I've beaten 160 games this year and none of them were Forza or Call of Duty

e: if I was on a podcast and a couple of the people wanted to talk about games I had no interest in playing, I wouldn't try to force myself to play the games and be miserable both playing them and then discussing them. but that's just me. this is why the GB GOTY discussions are always abysmal, because people have to talk about games they clearly forced themselves through for the sake of not being left out of the conversation

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 9, 2021

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Justin has a very particular taste in games. I understand the complete disinterest in CoD and Forza, so that didn't stand out to me. He mentioned in the Accessibility episode that if he could play every game single player he would, so something like CoD built around multiplayer obviously won't do it for him. You saw it in Awful Squad, too, where it was his job to play, but he would quickly die and take out his guitar.

A couple of his opinions on story based games have stuck out as odd to me, but it's always complemented by one of the others being into it. That's why it works for me. Critics should have strong opinions and tastes, and all of them having different tastes means they can come at games from all angles.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Alaois posted:

literally unbelievable that there are still Cyberpunk 2077 Defenders in this day and age

Logged on.
You 100% typed "in 2021" first then realized the game came out this year didn't you?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Logged on.
You 100% typed "in 2021" first then realized the game came out this year didn't you?

no my mind caught me before i started typing it but i did consider it before realizing

though honestly i could have said that before the game even came out and still been right

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

lol how am I not surprised that Previa_fun is a Cyberpunk stan

tell me, do you think all the criticism from trans and queer ppl about having their aesthetics coopted while not being treated with any respect goes too far too?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shinjobi posted:

Listening to the Besties I can't help but feel like Justin is a just a giant poo poo about video games.

I strongly felt like they should cancel the Besties maybe a few months back because Justin and Griffin but especially Justin just didnt seem to really give a poo poo, but to there credit the energy seems to have picked up. Justin has a certain taste, and really who gives much of a drat about the latest clone of Call of Duty? But he was very positive and excited about Inscryption recently.

Though they need to stop starting the podcast then having an ad break in the first like 2 minutes its super annoying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All of the bits of Cyberpunk 2077 that work or are finished are loving sick. The writing is as good as The Witcher 3 and there’s a ton of great characters and side quests. But yeah the broken poo poo was unforgivable, gently caress CDPR corporats for rushing the release

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

oh my god please don't get into a fight about cyberpunk 2077 in the mcelroy thread

do it in the games forum, where i have the power to probate you

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Justin does not have to play those games if he doesn't want, but maybe making GBS threads all over the focus of the next week's episode before your current episode ends seems kinda dumb when you've only just recently started to see sponsors for your show. Or, and here's a crazy idea: maybe just talk about games you want to talk about.

I dont play racing games and/or CoD, but it was still annoying to hear him essentially voice "skip next week, it isn't worth it!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I enjoyed the first two episodes of Chasing Immortality except for the humor bits which just felt kind of shoehorned in.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

tell me, do you think all the criticism from trans and queer ppl about having their aesthetics coopted while not being treated with any respect goes too far too?

haha video game go brrrr

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Shinjobi posted:

and Justin was pretty up front about not even going to pretend he was playing them.
I consider the besties to be a show by Russ and Chris where a couple mcelroys occasionally show up to either try to push a conversation to its conclusion prematurely or allude to Final Fantasy XIMMO being a good game

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hey, Griffin's right about XIV.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You mean the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BDG is the fourth McElroy brother

Tim Rogers is the second McElroy father