Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rygar
okay, lots of words for this one, but it was actually really cool! real hidden gem. as far as i can tell, it's the first video game that has any RPG elements that was released for the NES in north america. it has two modes: one is a basic action platformer. you can jump and attack. your guy has a lot of range with some kind of shield flail, but you often have to duck to hit monsters. there's also an overhead view for the overworld in which you can move in four directions, zelda-style, and do the same moves (jump, attack). as you beat more monsters, you get experience that makes your two stats (basically just attack and defense, although when your defense gets high enough, you also gain extra health points) increase. some enemies also drop a potion that will restore a single health point or a little star that gives you a "mind point." besides a couple of rooms (i think there are only like 3 in the game), that recover all your health, and a spell, those potions drops are the ONLY way to recover health - you don't even get it back when you level to having more health points. so your HP is a pretty precious resource. you can store up to 7 mind points to cast one of three spells, which up your attack or defense, or heal you (it takes awhile to build up mind points though, and they're best saved for bosses, and the healing one is a waste). as you journey through the game and defeat bosses, they drop items you can use both in the overworld and inside levels to get to new areas (there's a crossbow that lets you shoot lines between trees, a grappling hook that lets you get up to higher ledges, and a sort of zipline thing you can use between two horizontal spots, etc). here's the status screen from the end of the game:

some rooms have "gods" in them that give you hints on how to proceed:

you can go to any area at any time, but you might get blocked by not having the right items. once you have everything, you can go to a castle in the sky and beat the ending boss. it has an actual ending (just a picture and a screen that basically says the world was saved, congrats, but still).

complaints: no save or password function and this is a really long game for that. whenever you die, you do keep your experience progress and all your items, so you don't even just fall in a pit and lose everything, but still, i bet kids had to leave the console on overnight to beat it. the action parts have the typical slowdown issues and weird, side-scrolling stuff from the period, where a lot of the strategy is more about where you make enemies appear than knowing their patterns. because of the generous range on the weapon, most of the damage i took was in entering a new screen and having a monster appear right in the same spot as me. also, the experience part of it is a bit grindey. i wanted to see how high the stats went, and the only way to get them high enough would be to sit around scrolling enemies onto the screen and killing them for like an hour (which i did). the bosses (including the end boss) are all wimps. if you use the "you attack better" spell, you can safely slaughter them before they can get more than one hit in on you, usually. all in all, though, for when this was released, it has a lot going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Rygar rules

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rygar is cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rygar kicks rear end

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I heard the PS2 reboot is actually pretty deece but I never played it

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I heard the PS2 reboot is actually pretty deece but I never played it

It’s good! They did a port to Wii that made him more anime for some reason like 6 years later

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Beat Castlevania on my lunch break. I’m not a super good gamer so unlimited continues was a big help lol, along with the fact that continuing on the Dracula fight starts you off right outside his boss room. Been a while since I really played this but it still kicks major rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

solomon's key is hard so that's going to take me awhile. after that is arkanoid and a bunch of micronics ports, but once i get through those, i'm on to original metroid and legend of zelda at least. only 93 games left until castlevania 2.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

earthbound

i loved it. what an absolute joy to play.

my favorite part was the brickroad saga, i didn't see that coming at all lmao.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

1. Persona 4
2. SMT III - Nocturne
3. FFIV Pixel Remaster
4. Persona 3 Portable

I loved it. I mostly played Portable for the ability to control everyone in battle, so I probably didn't get the authentic experience, but I still loved it. Seems like I'm a fan of "role playing games in modern settings" as a genre, but I also am fascinated by all the weird occult poo poo that's all over all the SMT/Persona games so I'm glad I checked it out, and could see playing it again in the future but not any time soon. I won't be playing Persona 5.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

persona 3 portable has the best s-link in the series, thats right, koromaru the dog (female mc only)

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

mbt posted:

earthbound

i loved it. what an absolute joy to play.

my favorite part was the brickroad saga, i didn't see that coming at all lmao.

Playing earthbound for the first time is a magical thing

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

ArfJason posted:

from the way every singlke person talks about it like this i already know exactly what gonna happen and im mad already

lol fair enough
but ppl have to say it like that bc if u go google 2 much ab the game itll all get spoiled. theres just no winning :eng99:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
yes, and htats the problem. and if you dont realize, youre not paying attention. and why thats OK. an dheres why;

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

mysterious loyall X posted:

persona 3 portable has the best s-link in the series, thats right, koromaru the dog (female mc only)

this is true

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
Donut country, short and fun little game!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

solomon's key is hard

i'm halfway through this and i feel exhausted. this one is going to haunt my dreams.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

37. Wild Arms 3. Kinda grew to hate it by the end but at least the first half is pretty fun. The Zelda for Babies dungeons are a good time and have some good puzzles occasionally, the enemy designs are colorful and cool and the main cast is really good. Everything else kinda sucks about it and by the end I grew to despise the ugly rear end overworld and the brain crushingly slow battles. It also has too many drat bosses, no room to breathe anywhere or sense of like, building up to bigger battles. Every dungeon has like 3 bosses, the final boss is 12 phases long, and the story is a drat mess. Glad to have finished it though now I'm all cleared for landing with SMTV this week

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - I can't believe how gigantic this game is in all dimensions. 20+ giant areas, a thousand quests, 8 hr ost, 7 party members with multiple play styles for each, arts, skill trees, skill links, skill chains, gems, gem crafting, 5 armor slots per character, affinity between party members, affinity between npcs, affinity between areas, etc. I can't imagine trying to 100% it.

I like XBC2 a little better: it's funnier and Pyra, Mythra, and numerous Blades all have huge boobs.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Deathloop (good ending?) - this was weird. Honestly felt like half(?) a game. Great vibes and art, a whole bunch of weapons and mods and powers and the most effective way to get through like 95% of the game is just to machete people in the face. Shooting anything but the shotgun feels really bad. Also all the bad guys are the same. Like literally the same. My network wasn’t working right and I never got invaded - finally got it working and you wait forever to match with anyone.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Super Metroid

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Solomon's Key
i think this is the one i'm proudest of beating so far, for some reason. this is just a really difficult puzzle game. i prefer the rooms that are more about racing against time and trying to keep from trapping yourself than the ones filled with monsters that you have to carefully time all your jumps around, overall, but both are legitimate. the ones based around monster timing reminded me of wrecking crew, and i think this stacks up well against that, but the ones that are more based around crawling through a maze and positioning flames add a level that wrecking crew doesn't have. i sucked in air through my teeth whenever i started a stage and it was something like this:

i like the theme - the zodiac, the secret seals and pages, etc. the controls are good even when they expect you to do things that are sort of surprising for an NES game, like stand on the corner of a flame block or jump so that you sort of fall into an opening in the side. not sure how the arcade game plays, but this feels like a smooth port. this also forces you to learn the kinds of things that you should be doing in mighty bomb jack, so that it doesn't feel like all the puzzle aspects get dumped on you at the end. the level progression is good, although i think there's a difficulty spike just a TAD too early. i knew i was only going to play this through once, so i did check to see which levels had solomon's seals before going in so that i could find them, after getting the bad ending in mighty bomb jack.

i have one complaint: there are three rooms in the game that require you to do something you don't do at any other time in the game to unlock the solution, and there's really no hint to let you know that's what you're supposed to do (in once case, for whatever reason, you have to try to put a block inside the ending door, in one of them, you have to put out two flames, which you can easily miss by hitting the block underneath them instead, and in the third instance, you have to try to put a block in the enemy spawn point). all of these things let you break through walls, which means you not only have to do them, then you have to start trying to hit walls! i looked up the solution for these three rooms and i am not ashamed about it.

that's 51 NES games so far, but the ff5 pixel remaster is out, so i'll be doing that next, probably. next up is arkanoid and three micronics ports, so i'd burn out without a break anyway.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
mike ronics worked hard on those games dont let him down

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

mike ronics worked hard on those games dont let him down

imagining what those early NES years would have been like without mike.....

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bicyclops posted:

Solomon's Key

Nice work. But did you find....THIS secret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NXCpZgEz8

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Nice work. But did you find....THIS secret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NXCpZgEz8

lol, i did not. the person playing that really is hanging on to their fireballs, i had to use more of mine by that point.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

what are you playing these on

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
19. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
21. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
22. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
23. Super Mario Odyssey
24. Sonic Colors Ultimate
25. WarioWare: Get it Together!
26. Super Mario 3D World (Switch)

its good. the camera is really bad

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

17) Metroid Dread (100% in 8:09:25)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

18. metroid fusion (100% items, 5:17 clear time)
it’s definitely a lesser metroid but it’s a great game. i don’t think i like this game enough to put in the work to get 100% items under two hours but i also know it’d be really fun to do.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

mycophobia posted:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Grand Prix ALL CUPS IN 50CC, 100CC, 150CC, MIRROR AND 200CC 3 STARS)
2. Sonic Advance (Sonic)
3. Alien Syndrome (US version, 1-ALL 1CC no death, reached 2-6) - video
4. Sonic 3 Complete (Knuckles, Tails)
5. Super Mario World (96 exits)
6. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. (no warps, no continues)
7. Truxton II (1-ALL, 1CC) - video
8. Bonk's Adventure (NES)
9. Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (NES, no death)
10. Persona 4 (Normal ending)
11. Castlevania (NES, 1-ALL, no death, game over at 2-4) - video
12. Yakuza Kiwami
13. Super Mario Galaxy (3D All-Stars version, 120 stars)
14. Suikoden
15. Donpachi (Japan, 1-ALL, dead at 2-2) - video
16. Super Metroid (Control Freak hack, 4:00, 60%, saved the animals)
17. Doom (E1, E2 on UV, E3 on HMP, no mid-level saving, pistol start on death)
18. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
19. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
20. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
21. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
22. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch)
23. Super Mario Odyssey
24. Sonic Colors Ultimate
25. WarioWare: Get it Together!
26. Super Mario 3D World (Switch)

its good. the camera is really bad

yeah i had problems with it too. bowsers fury is great tho

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

1. Cyberpunk
2. Doom Eternal expansions
3. Hades
4. Dark Souls again
5. Jump King (legit with no savestates)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shin Megami Tensei 1 - neutral

very awesome game. i didnt have the orden patch or the map shortcut patch which i found out about halfway through lol. i highly recommend those so you dont have broken quests or broken summoning animations. about halfway through the game I stopped dealing with fusions, sleep bullets on heroine + sword attacks on main hero just beats everything if you max speed. the encounter rate is insane at the end.

reading what the later entries change, i'm excited to see the progression. inheriting skills sounds like ill actually have a reason to engage with the monster fusion a bit more

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Metroid Dread

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Metroid Dread. Very good game, won't be my personal GOTY but will probably be a lot of people's and for good reason. Loved the challenge level where it's tough but always fair and even if a boss manages to kill you a million times you'll be able to get their pattern down eventually.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Metroid Dread. Very good game, won't be my personal GOTY but will probably be a lot of people's and for good reason. Loved the challenge level where it's tough but always fair and even if a boss manages to kill you a million times you'll be able to get their pattern down eventually.

what is your goty

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mycophobia posted:

what is your goty

As of right now Nier Replicant remake but it'll probably end up being SMTV unless that somehow ends up disappointing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dread is my GOTY so far but SMTV might beat it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's between RE8 and Dread for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Roth posted:

It's between RE8 and Dread for me

RE8 also kicked a lot of rear end