Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I had a laugh at Elena and Kate’s reaction to the Russia category in Double Jeopardy. This was a fun episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Ken is such a relief to watch after all of the other bullshit that has happened. I hope he gets to stick around more than Mayim.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ken is such a relief to watch after all of the other bullshit that has happened. I hope he gets to stick around more than Mayim.

:same:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

It's nice to have a host again who knows how to actually read a clue.

Mayim was like the kid in class who always wanted to impress the teacher by volunteering to read aloud but clearly didn't even know what they were saying and had no rhythm.

edit:
vvvvvvvv yeah he actually seems to have a sense of humor

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 9, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I love Ken's little interjections and jokes.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Of course the week I'm away is Ken's first week. At least catching up will be nice.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

wa27 posted:

I love Ken's little interjections and jokes.

The big difference is he actually knows this poo poo and can add something to it. All the others could do was read the extra info that was clearly just written on the answer sheet.

I actually had a hard time watching that set of contestants, personally; they all had weird nervous tics that were really distracting. Right podium was churning butter the entire time, middle couldn't stop swaying, and our former champion's little OOOOs were just so strange. They were amusing and genuine contestants, but the fact that it was all three of them at once pulled me out of the game a lot.

I can't believe middle podium called a clue then cringed like the board was going to explode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Jeopardy really going all in with the anti-science crowd for hosts.

There's a reason they had to get a Canadian last time.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ken seems to have been more relaxed as host compared to his first go.

The disconcerning part for me is that he was introduced as hosting Jeopardy rather than being the host. He's clearing being thought of as a substitute until the real host returns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought that was how they had always described it? Bialik will be the primary host but can't commit to it full-time forever, so Ken will fill in when she has a conflict. Remember that this is the fallback plan after that producer tried to install himself full-time and got cancelled

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

haveblue posted:

I thought that was how they had always described it? Bialik will be the primary host but can't commit to it full-time forever, so Ken will fill in when she has a conflict. Remember that this is the fallback plan after that producer tried to install himself full-time and got cancelled

I don't think they described this as the permanent arrangement. They are still officially looking for the permanent host.

https://apnews.com/article/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-alex-trebek-066ec6a3293cd9ef2d07dded8431ff94

quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings will split “Jeopardy!” hosting duties for the remainder of 2021.

Sony Pictures Television announced the plan Thursday, the same week that episodes filmed by ousted host Mike Richards are airing.

Richards, who also lost his role as “Jeopardy!” executive producer, was initially tapped as Alex Trebek’s successor but left the show after past misogynistic and disparaging comments surfaced.

Bialik was tapped as interim host, and her episodes will air through Nov. 5. After that, Sony says Jennings and Bialik will share hosting duties based on their schedules through the end of the calendar year. No on-air auditions of other potential hosts were announced.

She still seems to be campaigning for the full-time job:

https://www.glamour.com/story/mayim-bialik-yes-i-want-to-host-jeopardy-full-time

Edit: Alex passed away one year ago yesterday. Ken had a special tribute on his first day back hosting:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1457754793301131269

Edit2: no one told him.

https://www.avclub.com/ken-jennings-was-not-told-his-jeopardy-return-would-be-1848024728

“Apparently, everyone was aware that we were going to air [my first episode] on the anniversary and nobody told me,” Jennings tells USA Today. “They didn’t want to put that in my head. So, I was not told until after that it was the Nov. 8 show.”

This ultimately means that yesterday’s episode did not make note of the day, with no speeches made in Trebek’s memory.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 9, 2021

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can someone explain why "Hedge farm?... Hedge fund?" was accepted on the daily double today? What is the rule on correcting yourself?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Think as long as you do it before the host rules it wrong, you're good. Ken seemed to slow-walk the ruling though, which gave her more time than usual to correct herself.

And man, that Final was hard as poo poo -- someone on Reddit pointed out that Final questions aren't considered unless another writer can get it right, but running through Queen lyrics in your head is probably a hell of a lot easier when Think isn't blasting in your ears.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

wa27 posted:

Can someone explain why "Hedge farm?... Hedge fund?" was accepted on the daily double today? What is the rule on correcting yourself?

"Did another contestant complain in a way we're worried might lead to legal action?"
"Does it make good or bad TV?"

You can apply this to all game shows, including reality competitions.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Somebody didn’t watch enough Wayne’s World as a child.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ken seemed to slow-walk the ruling though

If the contestant answers something that the host thinks might be possible as an answer they can look to the main judge to make an immediate ruling with either a thumbs up or thumbs down, and so he won't really make a determination either way until he gets that answer. That might be why it took longer than usual for him to make the call, giving the contestant time to change the answer.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't think that Final was easy but I'm surprised nobody got it. Especially since someone got the right group.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Think as long as you do it before the host rules it wrong, you're good. Ken seemed to slow-walk the ruling though, which gave her more time than usual to correct herself.

And man, that Final was hard as poo poo -- someone on Reddit pointed out that Final questions aren't considered unless another writer can get it right, but running through Queen lyrics in your head is probably a hell of a lot easier when Think isn't blasting in your ears.

With the clue saying Europop, I figured it had to be ABBA, but I know the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody better than their hits. I made it to Galileo in the lyrics.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I knew it was ABBA and in the right part of the song but didn't know Mamma Mia was in that year. I thought it was later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zero One posted:

I don't think they described this as the permanent arrangement. They are still officially looking for the permanent host.

https://apnews.com/article/jeopardy-mayim-bialik-ken-jennings-alex-trebek-066ec6a3293cd9ef2d07dded8431ff94

She still seems to be campaigning for the full-time job:

https://www.glamour.com/story/mayim-bialik-yes-i-want-to-host-jeopardy-full-time

Edit: Alex passed away one year ago yesterday. Ken had a special tribute on his first day back hosting:

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1457754793301131269

Edit2: no one told him.

https://www.avclub.com/ken-jennings-was-not-told-his-jeopardy-return-would-be-1848024728

“Apparently, everyone was aware that we were going to air [my first episode] on the anniversary and nobody told me,” Jennings tells USA Today. “They didn’t want to put that in my head. So, I was not told until after that it was the Nov. 8 show.”

This ultimately means that yesterday’s episode did not make note of the day, with no speeches made in Trebek’s memory.

I get the feeling that the people in charge still do not understand Jeopardy, and will just continue to ram Myiam Bialik down our throats, and it gets quietly cancelled in the next 5 years.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I just don’t get the push for Mayim when Ken is available, willing (as far as I know) and has a history with the show. It’s not that I really have much of a problem with her but Ken is a much more natural fit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
She thinks like them and came from the hit-show with their core demographic. Olds.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I swear I had a job interview with Andrew earlier this year. Ken said software engineer in San Francisco during the interview portion, so it's entirely possible. Going back through emails to see if I'm hallucinating this or not.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Zesty posted:

She thinks like them and came from the hit-show with their core demographic. Olds.

Given the advertising of Final have been for Aleve, Consumer Cellular and Geico, that makes sense. They wanted a host with a high Q score in that demo (not the demo that takes horse paste Aaron) and she has it over Ken in spades. Others have higher scores but she lives in LA unlike the rest so if you think like a TV executive as opposed to logically, the choice looks obvious.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tonight's game was awesome

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

wa27 posted:

Tonight's game was awesome

It was a banger. One of the best in a long time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I can't believe Jeopardy had a bento box clue on this of all days

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't think I've ever seen anyone lean on the podium like the guy on the end tonight. What a dweeb.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Big Jason Schwartzman vibe from that guy

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
That Marc Bolan / T-Rex clue was pretty obscure as far as music clues go.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I didn't think it was that obscure given it was a visual clue. I did blank on his surname though.

Final all but screamed Rosencratz and Gildenstern are Dead so two whiffing on it was baffling.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.cinemablend.com/amp/television/why-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-allegedly-isnt-fitting-in-while-working-on-the-game-show

How is this so drat hard to figure out?

Give it to Ken or Buzzy.

Done.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I want Ken over Mayim but I'm also not sure why I should care about "woman dresses self."

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I want Ken too but I've concluded that Mayim will be the permanent host once her show ends. She did help make CBS (& AT&T) a lot of money.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the biggest gripe is she wants to choose her wardrobe? p minor if you ask me. i'm not a fan of her personally but thought she was fine as host

why don't they just keep alternating between ken and mayim?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Neither of them seem willing to be permanently tied to Jeopardy forever

If the plan is to find "another Trebek" in the sense of another person who will dedicate the entire remainder of their career to Jeopardy, they may need to adjust their expectations

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RaspberrySea posted:

I want Ken over Mayim but I'm also not sure why I should care about "woman dresses self."

Yeah, if that's the biggest issue they can find behind the scenes, I think she's here to stay.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

Neither of them seem willing to be permanently tied to Jeopardy forever

If the plan is to find "another Trebek" in the sense of another person who will dedicate the entire remainder of their career to Jeopardy, they may need to adjust their expectations

I haven't gotten that impression at all. :shrug:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, they're very much giving the impression of "we want Mayim Biyalik forever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

They could always do a Family Feud/Millionaire and switch hosts every few years. Mayim is fine for now, but I kind get the vibe she's not in it for the next 5 or even 10 years.

In fairness Pat Sajak has given off that same vibe since the mid 90s.