Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm a gay friendly friend of the gays, very gay friends, liberal etc, at least 10% gay. But an artistic choice and how it's presented, it's made apparently political, so anybody who says hmm I'm not into this choice, treated like a Maga chud assclown or whatever. But uh I like softcore that appeals to me, if for some reason the show we're talking about has softcore or whatever.

honestly a very weird first post in the thread lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

This is SA, you gotta get in front of these things. It is ad hominem o'clock when you talk about something pertaining to the issues in art/entertainment. Glad I could amuse you! Like Joe Pesci! Part of the post was supposed to be funny, so yeah! I'm with it! Totally cool, not a weirdo, clearly.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

No, im a gay friendly friend of the gays

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm glad you liked that. The 10% gay thing was a tribute to Brody Stevens, one of my fav comics.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV >Jeff Bezos Presents: Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time: I'm a gay friendly friend of the gays, very gay friends, liberal etc, at least 10% gay.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hey! Pal! It's self-deprecating knowingly offbeat posting. Are you in a point and laugh convention? Do you not get that it's silly to roast somebody who already roasted themselves, and if anything it's uh mean?

So my post was a ramblin half-cocked disaster. You want me blood, that it? You want blood you animals?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Let's just chill and enjoy this hopefully fun good and dumb show together.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The hell is going on in this thread?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

You can't stop horny posting.
It taint be done.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't get over how devastating of a criticism it is to say it looks like the Shanarra series. Hopefully they can at least stay away from using modern slang.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It reminds me of people saying The Witcher looked like a Xena/Hercules episode, clearly they haven't watched one in probably 20 years because that poo poo was low budget and shot for syndication. People are just bad at making comparisons, things look much better when remembered through a decades old haze.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rarity posted:

The hell is going on in this thread?

Tviv

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't get over how devastating of a criticism it is to say it looks like the Shanarra series. Hopefully they can at least stay away from using modern slang.

I went and looked up a trailer for the Shannara Chronicles because I never bothered to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR8b1SpoSc

Honestly ok yeah I kinda see the comparison

The difference between WoT and Shannara has always been that WoT had better writing. :shrug: The difference in those two clips is that WoT has hotter actors and a bigger budget.

It is hilarious that the top comment on that from six years ago is "Looks great, now just get AMC to make a mega budget Wheel of Time series. Then we're set"

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 10, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

eke out posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIx-wmOU8GI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space Needle architects: lmao I wish

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

Space Needle architects: lmao I wish

What exactly am I looking at here? :confused:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? :confused:

i was a kid when i last read those books but i recall it being a twist at the end of the first that the Extremely Tolkienien Fantasy World it's set in is actually post-post apocalyptic Our World (but apparently they just put it in the trailer for the show)

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

eke out posted:

i was a kid when i last read those books but i recall it being a twist at the end of the first that the Extremely Tolkienien Fantasy World it's set in is actually post-post apocalyptic Our World (but apparently they just put it in the trailer for the show)

I looked up some stuff to refresh my memory and there were hints that it was a post-apocalyptic version of some advanced technological society, but there wasn't anything explicit to make it Future Earth until the 2000s when the author decided to retcon his other book series as a prequel to the Shannara series

Anyway it's not a twist at all in the show, the credits sequence explicitly shows a nuclear apocalypse on earth followed by the family tree of all the races that mutated out of humans

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vavrek posted:

Hooray for nudity equality. As I said back in May, in the book (spoilers!) thread:

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/smallandstrange/status/1455224190215278592?s=20

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

It wasn't just in the trailer, there were several episodes set in a ruined city that they showed the name of. I don't think it was Seattle, but it's been a while.

Yes, I watched it. It wasn't horrible, just cheesy like the Sword of Truth show or Xena back in the day.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

It wasn't just in the trailer, there were several episodes set in a ruined city that they showed the name of. I don't think it was Seattle, but it's been a while.

yeah i meant "just put it in the trailer" as in "it stopped being a twist and just became part of the premise from the beginning"

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

In the latest trailer at one point Matt says, 'You have FULLY lost your mind'. It's a kind of eyerolling bit of slang/idiom among young Brits which I think first gained popularity a few of years ago. I fear we might see quite a bit of this crap inserted as dialogue. Witcher managed to integrate modern-pattern speech quite well into its overall aesthetic, but to be honest Witcher is weird/silly enough that I think they can get away with that sort of thing more easily than a WoT adaptation which is likely to be much more serious in tone.

Then again I'm probably just overall very sceptical of the WoT writers' ability to do anything good, they don't exactly scream massive talent. Those credited for the first six episodes are, I believe, (i) Judkins (a few episodes of a notoriously badly-written show, Chuck (n.b. I actually enjoyed Chuck so no hate for that here)); (ii) Justine Juel Gillmer (nothing notable or good as far as I can see https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2188444/); (iii) Celine Song (uh... https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10227660/); (iv) Dave Hill (the infamous GoT assistant dude; no other writing experience it seems https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4984276/); (v) Michael Clarkson (no idea https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4561085/); (vi) Amanda Kate Shuman (another Chuck alumnus https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4415526/).

None of the above is to say it won't be an enjoyable show, or maybe they can even pull something genuinely good out of the bag. You don't have to have masterpiece writing to make something fun and engrossing. But yeah, it's most likely going to be poorly written IMO, so we will probably just have to deal with that and focus on (hopefully) decent acting and worldbuilding/action stuff.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
lol every once in a while I forget that this show will be written in part by a coffee boy who was made a main writer for the biggest show in TV history.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

lol every once in a while I forget that this show will be written in part by a coffee boy who was made a main writer for the biggest show in TV history.

it's amazing

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It reminds me of people saying The Witcher looked like a Xena/Hercules episode, clearly they haven't watched one in probably 20 years because that poo poo was low budget and shot for syndication. People are just bad at making comparisons, things look much better when remembered through a decades old haze.

The Witcher was all over the place visually. The fake winter scenes, the scrotum armor and the episode lifted from Sean Connery's Dragonheart all channeled that late 90s fantasy feel. I can forgive people making the Xena/Hercules comparison.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Please refer to Rafe as "Survivor Guatemala final three contestant" in future post tha k yoi

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I decided to get the first book on Kindle and looked at the page count and what have I done

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Well the first book is at least a serious page-turner.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nail Rat posted:

I decided to get the first book on Kindle and looked at the page count and what have I done

Good news: you have fourteen more after that one!

Most of them are even good

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nail Rat posted:

I always found the books to be very fast reads. Like, I am kind of a fast reader generally, but I think "read 200 pages in a day, at work, during the breaks between needing to do actual work" says more about the book than the reader. Or more about my job at the time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Twelve thousand pages in the series. Holy gently caress

Edit: I've only read the pre-prologue on my commute both ways today but it was a fast and interesting read given it was about redneck minutiae.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nail Rat posted:

set yourself up for a really enjoyable ride :)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nail Rat posted:

Twelve thousand pages in the series. Holy gently caress

Edit: I've only read the pre-prologue on my commute both ways today but it was a fast and interesting read given it was about redneck minutiae.

Is that the chapter Ravens, all about sheep shearing? That one was added later, when they split the first book for the YA market. I only read it recently, because it's not in my copy of the book.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's the one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

El Grillo posted:

In the latest trailer at one point Matt says, 'You have FULLY lost your mind'. It's a kind of eyerolling bit of slang/idiom among young Brits which I think first gained popularity a few of years ago. I fear we might see quite a bit of this crap inserted as dialogue. Witcher managed to integrate modern-pattern speech quite well into its overall aesthetic, but to be honest Witcher is weird/silly enough that I think they can get away with that sort of thing more easily than a WoT adaptation which is likely to be much more serious in tone.

Then again I'm probably just overall very sceptical of the WoT writers' ability to do anything good, they don't exactly scream massive talent. Those credited for the first six episodes are, I believe, (i) Judkins (a few episodes of a notoriously badly-written show, Chuck (n.b. I actually enjoyed Chuck so no hate for that here)); (ii) Justine Juel Gillmer (nothing notable or good as far as I can see https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2188444/); (iii) Celine Song (uh... https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10227660/); (iv) Dave Hill (the infamous GoT assistant dude; no other writing experience it seems https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4984276/); (v) Michael Clarkson (no idea https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4561085/); (vi) Amanda Kate Shuman (another Chuck alumnus https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4415526/).

None of the above is to say it won't be an enjoyable show, or maybe they can even pull something genuinely good out of the bag. You don't have to have masterpiece writing to make something fun and engrossing. But yeah, it's most likely going to be poorly written IMO, so we will probably just have to deal with that and focus on (hopefully) decent acting and worldbuilding/action stuff.

Judging the writers on your objective opinion of past shows (unless they were the obvious show runners) shows an extreme lack of understanding of how tv writing works, and is not an accurate judge of the ability of the writer at all.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

You've started the best epic fantasy series ever written. (So far).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

That's the one.
Yeah, it's, uh.

I mean, I found it interesting, but only really because I'm someone on my fifth reread and it was something I hadn't read before. And I liked seeing young Nynaeve. It mostly exists for Tam's story at the end, and to go "hey look! kids!" so that the standard introduction of the book (the prologue, Dragonmount, and the first chapter, An Empty Road) have any kind of connection to each other.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

This is great and I wish I had more friends who would laugh as hard as I am at it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's a thread, *not* the SPOILER thread, in the book barn for people picking up the books for the first time because of the upcoming show. If that's your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

There's a thread, *not* the SPOILER thread, in the book barn for people picking up the books for the first time because of the upcoming show. If that's your jam.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983558&pagenumber=1&perpage=40