Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
“Level 3” DC fast charging isn’t something we’re ever going to see in a home setting. The hardware the public stations require are refrigerator-sized and locked behind barbed wire well removed from the actual charging stations because it’s exceedingly easy to kill yourself with it. The really fast stations have to pump water through the cables to keep the copper circuits cool enough.

A good 40-amp 240v AC circuit is more than sufficient to keep an electric car charged, even if you’re driving 200+ miles a day. For bikes it’s been determined by the manufacturers that it’s too heavy/large to give both DCFC and “level 2” ac charging (20-40 amps from a 240v circuit). Harley chose DC, and Zero chose AC, in the US right now it’s really hard to tell what’s the better choice, since our fast charging networks are sparse at best and the vast majority of charging happens at home anyway.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Dog Case posted:

Lol at the thought of upgrading infrastructure in the US. Our 100+ year old electrical grid regularly burns down entire states now and that's the way we like it

As a Texan I'm getting really nervous about this coming winter, but there is basically nothing within my financial situation I can do. Would be awesome to get solar and battery backups or at least a NG generator, but that would cost a lot of :20bux:

Love it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

If you want to be as comfortable as you are in a normal situation, then stuff is gonna be expensive as hell. But the basics don't have to be super expensive.

I wouldn't use solar, if you expect snow storms. Just a small layer of snow is already enough to make the output of the solar panels drop dramatically.

What i would do in your situation, is to first get a heater that's independent of natural gas and electricity. A kerosine heater can be stored for a good amount of time and still be reliable. They can also heat a kettle of water you put on top of them. I don't know the market in Texas, but a 2nd hand one can be had for fifty bucks over here. I don't know how much money is too much for you, though.

Some (storm or standard) oil lanterns would be fine for lighting.

Then i'd grab some 12v lead acid batteries like the ones in UPSs, and keep them charging on standby. With those you can charge your phone a whole lot of times. You can also run some 12v lamps (cheap LED units) on those batteries if you need more light than the lanterns provide.
Avoid 12v to 110v converters, those give you a big efficiency penalty.

If you wanna be able to charge the batteries and run some appliances, get a diesel generator. They also run on kerosine, and you already have that for the heater anyway. They're less prone to gumming up than gasoline, and you're not dependent on the natural gas supply. If you're a tinkerer, you can just get a lister/petter engine clone and hook it up directly to a car alternator and charging system.
Using a car as the charger is also an option but to me that sounds really wasteful and inefficient.

Anyway, there are hundreds of different options. The one thing fossil fuels are really good at, is to store a LOT of energy in a tiny drum/tank. For me personally, kerosine would be the way to go.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 7, 2021

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Dog Case posted:

Lol at the thought of upgrading infrastructure in the US. Our 100+ year old electrical grid regularly burns down entire states now and that's the way we like it

There was also the time a few years ago where some old gas lines blew up a bunch of towns north of Boston.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

I wouldn't use solar, if you expect snow storms. Just a small layer of snow is already enough to make the output of the solar panels drop dramatically.
Dave at EEVblog YouTube had a recent video showing his older solar panels dropping by like 30% output because of the shadow of a guy wire for his rooftop antenna. Just happened to be the way those panel types work. If it had happened to his new ones, only the particular cells getting shadow would have seen any drop.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah, that's correct, you can make them like that. But i think it's safe to assume that in a snow storm that's bad enough to screw with the public infrastructure, all panels will be covered in snow. You'd have to sweep them multiple times a day which seems inpractical to me.

If the storm isn't too bad wind speed wise, wind may be a better way to charge a battery. Small scale wind mills are bad when it comes to the financial return on investment, but they'll happily spin at night and when there are heavy clouds. The spinny action also flings off any snow that tries to cake on, especially if you coat the blades with teflon or similar.
It's fairly easy to get one that delivers about 200w, and that is plenty to keep a car battery topped up with the occasional use of an inverter to power a mains device.

If you have a limited budget, they're not a realistic option unless you build one yourself.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think my electric bike looks fine

do these have overheating issues? i've heard that mentioned in track day context but unsure if that carries over to street riding

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This checks a lot of the usual hipster bike videos boxes but Kimura gets a pass from me because I like his art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT6cBiHXYu4

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Razzled posted:

do these have overheating issues? i've heard that mentioned in track day context but unsure if that carries over to street riding

They do racing alongside MotoGP, thermal issues with Energica aren't as bad as you might think. While the racing Corsa version has a different frame, the drivetrain is exactly the same as the street version. The inverter has it's own liquid cooled loop, and the motor/transmission uses Dex 6 fluid to help keep itself cool. The battery's air cooled but it's very challenging to get it to redline even in a track setting.

The only Energica models I know of that have throttled themselves are the "+" ones after several repeated DCFC sessions which have the 21.5 kWh batteries, apparently it's harder to get rid of the heat with higher density packs, who would have thought? Makes me want the bigger battery not so much.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
channeling all of the "italian sports bike/car" stereotypes, the first time I heard that Ducati was going to be building the bikes going forward, I wondered if they were going to try and beat Energica in the game of a race only charger having a short and burning down the entire e-paddock and all of the bikes, just before the season starts.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The electric Ducais are gonna be reskinned Energicas, calling it so I can quote this next year.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The electric Ducais are gonna be reskinned Energicas, calling it so I can quote this next year.

:agreed: it's the only way it's possible surely

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The MT-10 got refreshed and check out this colorway

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
:swoon: I dig those bold new graphics!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Anyone know if anything like that is planned for the MT-09 SP? I think I'm going to end up buying one of those but it would be despite their looks, not because of them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think mt09sp just got "refreshed" so probably not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

Big

Energy

I love it

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

FBS posted:

loving hell that looks delightful

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I appreciate that they've cleaned up the greeble on the lower half. Good god that upper frame spar is fat though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I appreciate that they've cleaned up the greeble on the lower half. Good god that upper frame spar is fat though.

Imagine you've got this guy riding for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BqCJgTpEf0

And he keeps insisting that the bike needs be more stable under braking, which demands a stiff and unyielding frame, but your bike's fundamental philosophy is one of smooth, sweeping corner speed lines that demand a supple, flexible frame. Modern casting techniques, computer stress analysis and men in white coats combine to square this circle and the result is gloriously on display on the MT.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'm down with the colorway on that MT-10 but that headlight cluster is aggressively ugly, far moreso than the first MT-10 which was already bad

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

"Let's make the entire bike matt black apart from the components that get the dirtiest and are the most annoying to clean" - someone who gets paid to design things, somehow.

Mind you at least the splash of colour draws your eyes away from the rest of the bike, which is loving hideous.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like a lil angry decepticon awww.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nah, that's an Autobot. A Bayformer Autobot to be sure but at least there are curved or large flat surfaces for your eyes to rest on. Kawi's non-retro bikes are a lot closer to the movie Cons, who tend to go for a "made from knives" look where there's so many edges and greebles that my eyes just give up and refuse to see it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"Let's make the entire bike matt black apart from the components that get the dirtiest and are the most annoying to clean" - someone who gets paid to design things, somehow.

I've thought it'd be a fun design concept for a bike to have almost everything below the bone line be the flattest matt black available so all that stuff kinda fades out of view, with everything above shaped together to look as much as possible like one of those vintage playground rockets

or kinda like a Čezeta 506, but tall and sporty instead of a scooter.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Idk isn't Ducati part of the VW group? That would be a bit embarrasing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

Idk isn't Ducati part of the VW group? That would be a bit embarrasing.

Technically they are but VAG have been extremely hands-off other than writing a cheque.

TBH I don't even know if car EV tech is particularly applicable to bikes - the design and operation criteria are very, very different, after all - so I'm not sure if VW would even care if Ducati did their own thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

None of that matters. They have twelve months to go from no electric bike at all, to a full grid of dedicated race bikes with equal or greater performance than the energica. Unless Ducati have had an electric skunk works nobody knew about working on this, there just isn't the time to build anything.

It is a classic example of their deluded CEO making promises the factory can't possibly keep; bullshit promises are the lifeblood of Ducati corse.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 11, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That sort of behavior should result in Ducati Corpse, but I think they're basically an unkillable company now no matter the mismanagement because of where they are culturally and in motorsport.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Ducati Corpse

Someone take a mental note that this is what we should change the forum name to next halloween

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BabelFish posted:

“Level 3” DC fast charging isn’t something we’re ever going to see in a home setting. The hardware the public stations require are refrigerator-sized and locked behind barbed wire well removed from the actual charging stations because it’s exceedingly easy to kill yourself with it. The really fast stations have to pump water through the cables to keep the copper circuits cool enough.

In the UK you can get 50KW DC at home if you want, it'll just costs £90,000 all in.

I just got a 7KW charger in the garage installed for the LiveWire (it still only charges at level 1 rate, i.e. the same as a 3 pin UK regular home socket), but that way it's not inappropriately loading up the regular house wiring as the 7KW charger is hooked up to its own fuse/consumer unit.

I've applied for 3 phase power to be put in to my house to get 22 KW AC charging outside my garage. The power company are going to be coming back to me soon on quotes to get the work done.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/0Ym2P0y.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/ccguZHl.mp4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When it's clipped to the wall it looks like an industrial grade crotch shaver.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

When it's clipped to the wall it looks like an industrial grade crotch shaver.

If you're brave enough you could even use it as that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dave over at EEVblog just did a breakdown video on one of those

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anything can be a crotch shaver if you use your imagination

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
its probably more of a laser hair removal tool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

its probably more of a laser hair removal tool.

They do actually use electrolysis for hair removal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I should get a shaver that charges at 7kw.

Regarding:

Steakandchips posted:

I've applied for 3 phase power to be put in to my house to get 22 KW AC charging outside my garage. The power company are going to be coming back to me soon on quotes to get the work done.

The power distribution company got back to me with a quote today to wire me up for 3 phase. £60,500. That'll be a no from me dawg. 6 grand, maybe. 60, uh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

The power distribution company got back to me with a quote today to wire me up for 3 phase. £60,500. That'll be a no from me dawg. 6 grand, maybe. 60, uh no.

That's honestly not bad for the cost of 3ph. Stateside the distribution company will just flat out tell you no so you're stuck doing homebrew poo poo to get your three phase.