Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my Misen knife cracked, so I got a new one when they redesigned. it cracked.

their nonstick seemed great but wore out relatively quickly.

the carbon steel pan warped off the jump, but that's probably my fault.

I'd already backed the enameled cast iron when I swore off them, but that's turned out to be really loving good so far. higher quality than the Cuisinart enamel I've got.

every one was a Kickstarter purchase.

every time this comes up I remind myself to contact them about the knives, but I always forget... I hear their customer service is really good about this stuff. it breaks my heart, given that the knife design is my all-time favorite (apart from the Wusthof 10"... uh, Classic? whatever the reasonably swanky one is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i got the misen knife kickstarter. used it regularly for a few years and it worked well. now its in a drawer somewhere.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Empty Sandwich posted:

every time this comes up I remind myself to contact them about the knives, but I always forget... I hear their customer service is really good about this stuff. it breaks my heart, given that the knife design is my all-time favorite (apart from the Wusthof 10"... uh, Classic? whatever the reasonably swanky one is).

The current line of Henckels Pro chef knives are very similar in design

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have the full set of fully-clad Misen stainless cookware and it's excellent. I actually prefer their 12" skillet to the one piece of All-Clad cookware I have.

The chef knife is good, and definitely holds an edge longer than my Victorinox. I also prefer the slightly less broad blade.

The utility knife is excellent but I've never had another utility knife before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

The paring knife (both blade and bolster) is too wide and I only use it when all of my Victorinox paring knives are dirty.

The steak knives suck and I wish I hadn't bought them. The serrations on the knives seem to get stuck in whatever they're cutting rather than doing the job a serrated knife should.

The dutch oven is fantastic. The only quality issue I've run into with Misen products was with the dutch oven, where some of the inner enamel was pitted. They replaced it ASAP, and the enamel on the lid of the replacement was chipped so they also replaced that without hassle.

For the price, I think it's good cookware, but just like anything else in the kitchen, you need to find what you actually like cooking with.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

my experience is limited but they should be dead flat. even my Misen one is

I logged a ticket and they said that this can happen on their 7.3L and 6.1L pans due to the weight. Seems kind of suspicious to me but if that's their line I doubt they're going to swap it out.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Steve Yun posted:

The current line of Henckels Pro chef knives are very similar in design

thanks! I'll check 'em out.

I went to the restaurant supply store for the first time since the day before school locked down and on a whim picked up a 9" stainless sauté pan. it's reasonably heavy and pretty cheap and I'm debating going this route whenever I decide to get new pots and pans. (Winco is the brand.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I see a vintage looking Robot Coupe for sale nearby at a reasonable price. I assume this is not worth it over getting a newer Cuisinart right?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

My zojirushi rice cooker is starting to have an issue. Previously it would keep rice at a nice texture for a couple days, but now the day after I make rice the top layer of the rice is dry and inedible. Two days after the entire thing will be dry. I haven't changed my technique, water amounts, or brand of rice, so my worry is that it's the rice cooker. Anyone deal with this before?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

My toaster has been giving inconsistent results lately, and I'm considering a toaster oven to replace it. I do have a question for those of you who have one already: would it also replace a microwave? Counter space is at a bit of a premium and if I can get one small appliance that does the job of two, I'd be all for it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

My zojirushi rice cooker is starting to have an issue. Previously it would keep rice at a nice texture for a couple days, but now the day after I make rice the top layer of the rice is dry and inedible. Two days after the entire thing will be dry. I haven't changed my technique, water amounts, or brand of rice, so my worry is that it's the rice cooker. Anyone deal with this before?

Check the silicone seal, would be my guess

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

This isn’t answering your question, but are you keeping rice in your rice cooker for multiple days? Is this a thing? Seems like a waste of electricity.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

hypnophant posted:

Check the silicone seal, would be my guess

I’ll check it!

Vegetable posted:

This isn’t answering your question, but are you keeping rice in your rice cooker for multiple days? Is this a thing? Seems like a waste of electricity.

Yes, it makes eating healthy dinners easy when you know there’s always hot rice on hand. It never tends to last more than a day or two tho.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Vegetable posted:

The higher end rice cookers seem to have very good insulation, kinda like those hot water boilers you keep on the countertop. I would assume it’s not THAT much electricity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Doesn't your rice turn to mush? I rush to take rice out and spread it out to stop it from steaming.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Zojirushi has a function for keeping rice warm for like two days but people have used it for 3 or more online. I've left rice on the keep warm function for two days and it was almost indistinguishable from fresh but ymmv. I would clean the whole thing (lid assembly too, you can pop it open) and then the seal. If nothing works, contact zojirushi

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Meaty Ore posted:

My toaster has been giving inconsistent results lately, and I'm considering a toaster oven to replace it. I do have a question for those of you who have one already: would it also replace a microwave? Counter space is at a bit of a premium and if I can get one small appliance that does the job of two, I'd be all for it.

The answer is: it depends. Do you use your microwave for things like steaming vegetables, boiling water, or reheating soups/stews?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Meaty Ore posted:

No, it would not also replace a microwave. It's great for reheating pizza, cooking stuff from frozen, making toast/bread/broiling things, but you wouldn't want to use it to reheat leftover mac and cheese, veggies of any sort, etc.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are combo microwave toaster ovens. I have no idea if they work well at either.

They do demonstrate the principle that microwaves don't actually arc off any metal, only sharp edges or points.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

No, it would not also replace a microwave. It's great for reheating pizza, cooking stuff from frozen, making toast/bread/broiling things, but you wouldn't want to use it to reheat leftover mac and cheese, veggies of any sort, etc.

What? I use my convection toaster oven to reheat 90% of my leftovers, including mac and cheese and especially roasted vegetables. I agree that there are many things a microwave does that a toaster oven doesn’t, like defrost or boil water or melt butter, but re-heating leftover food is one of the toaster oven’s biggest strengths IMO.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Toaster oven vs. microwave is like arguing hammer vs. screwdriver.

Get both.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Verisimilidude posted:

Check the silicone seal yeah, but also clean the plastic rim of the unit itself. Every time I have rice drying out, I find a piece of dried old rice in one of those two places, which breaks the seal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

There are combo microwave toaster ovens. I have no idea if they work well at either.

They do demonstrate the principle that microwaves don't actually arc off any metal, only sharp edges or points.
I have a microwave + toaster oven + convection oven combo. We've been using it for nearly 10 years. It looks something like this:

https://appliancist.com/cooking/microwave_ovens/lg-duochef-combination-microwave-mc8088hl.html

Works perfectly.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A while ago I remember reading about some brand of wok that many people swear by, made by an older chinese woman from california who runs the whole business herself. Did I dream this

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wokshop dot com

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Any opinions/thoughts about outdoor pizza ovens? A friend recently got this brand and it worked pretty drat well. I'm thinking of getting rid of my grill for it since we're vegetarian and don't use it much.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

wokshop dot com
Yes this is it, thank you! The whole thing is extremely warm and fuzzy

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

Any opinions/thoughts about outdoor pizza ovens? A friend recently got this brand and it worked pretty drat well. I'm thinking of getting rid of my grill for it since we're vegetarian and don't use it much.

Hit the pizza thread, but I believe they like those.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got the Ooni Karu 16. Gas only, bigger size. Works amazing for pizza and broiled veggies (corn in particular), I want to try burgers on a cast iron in there soon as I don't have a standalone grill.

Just remember sticker price doesn't include gas canister, two peels (wood for launching and metal for turning / retrieving), a loooong set of tongs if you plan to do non-pizza, a heavy duty BBQ glove, and a table if you need one. IR thermometer optional, I used it early on but now just go by the dial.

For the metal peel a local restaurant supply store had the best price by far, other items seemed to be better online for me in California.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7030754342923799813

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
looking for some more heavy duty poultry shears for spatchcocking turkey

last year i used my mothers 20yo+ wusthof poultry shears (similar to https://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof/come-apart-kitchen-shears-p1651) and i felt like they were going to break.

i already own the shun ones (https://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM7300-Multi-Purpose-Shears-Silver/dp/B00P2DJC1S) and they handle chicken well but they don't necessarily feel more robust than my mother's wustof pair.

is there a powerful pair for busting through the turkeys hip? maybe i should look beyond poultry shears and check out some pruning shears or something?

e: maybe the issue was the shears were super old and probably dull and my technique is not good and my shun shears will do the trick just fine?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Are you trying to go through the thigh bone? Or just the joint?

If it's just the joint where it connects to the body you should be able to lift it by the leg and gravity and the path of least resistance will guide the shears or knife right through.

There are lots of videos online about how to break down a turkey (or chicken which is functionally similar. There are even videos on how to debone the whole turkey, roll it up and cook it like that.

edit: I missed that you are spatcocking the turkey. You don't need to cut anything other then the backbone out for that. I've found that holding the turkey upright and cutting down along the backbone with a sharp knife works best for me.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 16, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only bones you should have to go through when spatchocking are the tiny little ribs or whatever beside the spine.

edit: I used shears for years now I just use a heavy, sharp knife. Works better for me.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
okay maybe i just suck

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I use a katana

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I use a Chinese cleaver for 100% of my chopping needs. But as a caveat to that, we eat everything bone-in so we don't debone anything. I can see needing a paring knife or something if you want to remove chicken/fish bones.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I bought a truly hideous 70s carbon-steel knife for a dollar at a thrift store that mysteriously had a UPC system. I've taken absolutely abysmal care of it since then except in terms of keeping it sharpened and honed.

anywho, that's what I recommend for spatchcocking

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I need a compact toaster oven or air fryer to cook bacon. Details below:

I cure and smoke bacon that I sell at farmer's markets. The morning of the market, I cook a bunch of bacon samples in a countertop air fryer my parents gave me (it works faster than the oven). I hand out those samples at the start of the market.

After a few hours, I can't give out samples because the bacon is too old. I know, cooked bacon that's been in a plastic container for four hours is not actually spoiled. But food serving guidelines prevent me from serving it to people, even as a free sample.

I want to bring a toaster oven or air fryer to the markets and cook up bacon samples throughout the day. The scent alone will bring customers from all over the place. But I need something relatively small and low power. My hatchback is packed to the roof when I go to market, so I can't pack anything bigger than, say, 2 feet by 1 foot.

There are lots of small toaster ovens on Amazon, but they look very low quality. I willing to spend more money on something that won't burn my bacon, die in the middle of the day, or start an electrical fire. Any recommendations?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I bought a Breville Smart Oven Pro on the recommendation of this thread. It's 19L x 12H x 14D. New it's close to $300 but I saw several on Craigslist for $100ish. I think I paid $120.

I use it a lot. The start button sometimes take 3 or 4 presses to catch but other than that it's a great convection toaster oven.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

After a few hours, I can't give out samples because the bacon is too old. I know, cooked bacon that's been in a plastic container for four hours is not actually spoiled. But food serving guidelines prevent me from serving it to people, even as a free sample.

Are you sure about that? Our health inspector in Austin told us that cooked bacon was considered a shelf stable product that didn’t even need refrigeration. The USDA website considers cooked bacon shelf stable as long as it’s cooked to a .85 water activity, and gives the guideline of that level being reached if the cooked product weight has been reduced 40% or more from the raw weight.

It’s certainly possible that your local regulations are different, but if you’re just assuming that the 4 hour rule applies, or you were told by another civilian that it does, it would be worth contacting your local health authority to confirm.

Fresh cooking it there could certainly still be a marketing win too though, like you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

A contact griddle like a Foreman grill might work for you if you're not married to the oven format.

As for small and high quality, I love the Panasonic FlashXpress. It's small, it broils instantly and does a great job reheating as well. It might be tough to keep the elements clean if you're doing a lot of bacon in it, but that's probably true of any oven.