Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Judakel posted:

lifts mounds of dogshit and puts it onscreen

it's okay. i'll keep watching that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Squib lovers have never shot anything in their lives and it shows.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Squibs kickass

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

Squib lovers have never shot anything in their lives and it shows.

Shut up nerd

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I have shot lots of things with lots of real guns; also squibs fuckin rule

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they should use real guns in moves alec baldwin style

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKoIQUgyFt0

like I know twelve gauge buck doesn't typically cause entire rooms to detonate into fireballs but, fffuck,

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tired: squid game discourse

wired: squib game discourse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

going deep into debt and being invited to a contest where we do the best slo-mo bullet-riddled death scene

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

like I know twelve gauge buck doesn't typically cause entire rooms to detonate into fireballs but, fffuck,

I hoped this was what it was before I even opened it

John Woo gets it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

I dearly love long shot action scenes like this where it would clearly be an absolute nightmare to reset everything and film it a second time so they just go with whatever happens and improvise around it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1458192885518585864

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would rather watch capeshit

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

vyelkin posted:

I dearly love long shot action scenes like this where it would clearly be an absolute nightmare to reset everything and film it a second time so they just go with whatever happens and improvise around it

Iirc the elevator part was to give the crew time to clear up the set behind them

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

Iirc the elevator part was to give the crew time to clear up the set behind them

Yeah they only had one floor set up for shooting so they had to clean up and reset the scene behind the action and used the elevator to redress the new floor's lobby

Also the slow mo just before the elevator when Tony Leung shoots a cop was to conceal a cut; not to merge two takes, but because the cameras they were using couldn't hold enough film to do what they wanted so they had to trade off rolling cameras mid-shot

DemsBad
Jan 11, 2021

by Hand Knit
I dont like this trend of live action anime like the new Maleficent movie

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Inspired by mass effect.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

i say swears online posted:

It is superhero capeshit, there's no difference

DemsBad posted:

I dont like this trend of live action anime like the new Maleficent movie
The special effects to do it are now cheap enough, that's why there's going to be no end to the live action superhero and anime

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The United States posted:

It is superhero capeshit, there's no difference

right but the superheroes are pirates and also assholes

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i just watched midnight in paris and that has to be the most self serving piece of garbage i have ever seen. just woody allen jerking on screen for 90+ minutes. what a loving hack that dude is

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

babypolis posted:

just woody allen jerking on screen for 90+ minutes.

You could freeze this comment in amber and find it eons later, and it'd take some pretty precise carbon dating to pinpoint what movie you were talking about

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I watch anime to get away from 3dshit but now streamshit companies are turning my weeabooshit into normieshit 3dshit shitshit

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
woody allen movies sure are woody allenesque

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't mind Midnight in Paris. At least it's not about Allen dating a teenager like Manhattan.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Mantis42 posted:

I watch anime to get away from 3dshit but now streamshit companies are turning my weeabooshit into normieshit 3dshit shitshit

this but unironically unless you weren't being ironic in which case this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

live action adaptation of Interspecies Reviewers

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

babypolis posted:

i just watched midnight in paris and that has to be the most self serving piece of garbage i have ever seen. just woody allen jerking on screen for 90+ minutes. what a loving hack that dude is

He's a total hack but I thought it was cute. Love me some hammy performances of 20's authors. And the "nostalgia shop" idea was on the money then and only gotten worryingly more accurate since.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

live action adaptation of Interspecies Reviewers

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

mostly i really disliked how the main character is this incredible genius who everyone loves and all the greatest authors and artists in the world want to hang out with him and all the hot parisian women want to gently caress him and his only flaw is that the present is a little boring to him and actually its cool that he was a complete dick to his fiancee because shes a scumbag and a cheater. the only conflict in the movie is answering "which of these beautiful women am i going to gently caress?"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I definitely "saw" that movie in theaters and fell asleep stoned as gently caress 20 mins in. good flick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dude on the right looks more like Mr 1. Always saw Sanji as a bit of a baby face type.

Otherwise not bad imo.

Some Guy TT posted:

right but the superheroes are pirates and also assholes

and also very silly, it's great

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Speleothing posted:

It also implies that these noble families are only barely connected to the planets they rule. The Atreides family is coded as Spanish, but their planet is coded as Scottish. They are foreign rulers even on the place they call their homeworld.

I'm reading Dune right now for the first time in 15 years and there's a bit where Leto talks about how spice makes people resistant to poison, so the Atreides will be harder to poison, but unfortunately it means they cannot easily poison a majority of their population if they wanted to. It's very much depicted as Leto, "good" by the standards of nobility, laments the loss of this tool.

Oops I didn't realize that was ten pages ago. DUNC is still relevant so there you go.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Speleothing posted:

It also implies that these noble families are only barely connected to the planets they rule. The Atreides family is coded as Spanish, but their planet is coded as Scottish. They are foreign rulers even on the place they call their homeworld.

Yeah, the whole premise of the noble families being moved between fiefs is pretty key and implies it's not the first time.

Even Lord of the Rings has it, with Elven rulers often being of different cultures to their subjects, Galadriel in particular.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ngl that's really good casting for luffy and usopp

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Bro Dad posted:

ngl that's really good casting for luffy and usopp

I think Cowboy Bebop has a decent cast too but the writing and directing of that show is what is going to sink it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TheGayChingy/status/1458204345086844929?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I think Cowboy Bebop has a decent cast too but the writing and directing of that show is what is going to sink it.

this is how I feel too

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Judakel posted:

i've never seen cgi blood look good

John wick and Dredd use CGI blood and it's super noticable but I don't even care about fully cg characters so I'm probably a bad judge of this

I do agree that squibs and syrup look better, but whatcha gonna do, not enjoy a movie due to a minor sfx?? Madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Netflix One Piece is probably going to be dull in design, too. The Going Merry will somehow be more brown than it is and the tropical islands will be focused on the shores, cliffs and dingy towns. They'll make the tropical climate into a desert but with sea water. Nobody hires painters anymore.