Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kirkman becoming the Establishment? Well I never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Is this true? It sounds completely plausible, but it's a random person from the QRTs so I don't want to put too much stock in it. :laffo: if it's true, though.

https://twitter.com/jeremyhachat/status/1456732807494086664

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Sort of. The idea is that Skybound owns a portion of the property so they can shop it around to studios for you for games, movies, etc.

It’s not complete ownership, but it’s not the “it’s yours” philosophy of Image proper.

Kirkman did an interview with SKTCHD about it, which I can dig up if you want.

Edit: also, the Vice article reached out to Kirkman and Jim Lee about it, and got no response, and the response letter to the Union is signed “Image Comics”, so the use of Kirkman as a figurehead by way of the hero image in the article may be an unfair reading, especially given how this may also be an Eric Stephenson call?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Does Lee have anything to do with Image? I thought he was long gone when he sold his studio to DC?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

blast0rama posted:

Sort of. The idea is that Skybound owns a portion of the property so they can shop it around to studios for you for games, movies, etc.

It’s not complete ownership, but it’s not the “it’s yours” philosophy of Image proper.

Kirkman did an interview with SKTCHD about it, which I can dig up if you want.

That's a much easier pill to swallow, thanks!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Davros1 posted:

Does Lee have anything to do with Image? I thought he was long gone when he sold his studio to DC?
He does not, and the article linked in the thread itself contains the following paragraph:

quote:

Motherboard reached out to Image chief operating officer Robert Kirkman, famed writer of The Walking Dead, through his agent, and did not receive a response. We also reached out to Jim Lee to ask about the workers at a company he founded unionizing, and through a representative both Lee and DC declined to comment.
So to be clear, they reached out to Image's COO and a DC executive who left Image twenty-three years ago for comment, and not any of the other more relevant Image executives, presumably because no one would recognize/care about namedropping/tweeting photos of Eric Stephenson or Sue Korpela or Jim Valentino.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Kirkman is hugely overrated as a writer, but it's not surprising that a COO wouldn't comment in the first couple days on a new union possibly forming in their company whether they thought it was fine or thought it was terrible.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, the article is no good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Todd_McFarlane/status/1458087281978380298?t=vaVi_kUqHs24dP807znWcg&s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

At least they are being honest that you don't actually get anything if you buy an NFT

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No matter how many times it is explained I don't get what NFTs are except "pogs but dumber."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

No matter how many times it is explained I don't get what NFTs are except "pogs but dumber."

They're receipts for pogs.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ImpAtom posted:

This twitter thread explains a lot:

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1457749433844568066

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

You’d think at least one person would be willing to put forth the money to mail out high-quality prints of the digital art, they’d still make a profit at the ridiculous prices being charged. But then I have to remind myself that NFTs are (probably) all money-laundering related.

Did anyone ever use the Topps Card Trader apps? At first in the mid-10s while there were pay to play options you easily got plenty of freebies including “rarer” cards in the digital packs, but a couple years ago they suddenly got a LOT more stingy (with worse art/photography) with higher prices and very little chance of getting the “best” cards. Looking back it feels like a progression to NFTs because all you “owned” was the right to look at a high-quality picture that you could still screenshot and export. I remember getting one that was supposedly “only 15 made” on a pink crushed velvet background and poo poo, Topps couldn’t even offer to mail the real card out which would have been a fun novelty to have. Maybe I’m just too old to appreciate digital card collecting but it felt scummy then and I wasn’t even paying for it!

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Iirc there has been at least one case of someone buying an expensive NFT but it was actually buying it from themselves, so it was just moving money from one of their accounts to another.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've heard allegations of that in other collectable markets, to increase the perception of current value and to make it seem like it is appreciating and there is demand.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Adnor posted:

Iirc there has been at least one case of someone buying an expensive NFT but it was actually buying it from themselves, so it was just moving money from one of their accounts to another.

That man's name? Todd McFarlane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Uthor posted:

I've heard allegations of that in other collectable markets, to increase the perception of current value and to make it seem like it is appreciating and there is demand.

Yeah, that's the big thing with what's going on with the videogame collectible market where the people who grade, the people who run the auctions and the people who sell are frequently the same people.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

You’d think at least one person would be willing to put forth the money to mail out high-quality prints of the digital art, they’d still make a profit at the ridiculous prices being charged. But then I have to remind myself that NFTs are (probably) all money-laundering related.

One of the comic art dealers was going to do this, then Marvel and DC told all their artist they couldn't sell NFTs for their work, so they all bailed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uthor posted:

It definitely happens in collectable markets; I've seen it. I mean, it happens on the stock market, too. It's one of the oldest scams in the book and anytime something is "hot" or being hyped up as something people should buy, this is happening.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
NFTs are pretty much entirely money laundering and/or grifting people.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1457749433844568066?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly some of the pitches remind me of Amway, except Amway products actually performed a function (that was performed just as well if not better by cheaper cleaning products). "The wave of the future" is complete scaremongering.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yup, NFT/crypto speculation and buy-in does use the same general manipulation strategies as MLM schemes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guess we never should have put Dickie in this thread because he's not ComicsGate. (I'm kidding, of course, he's still terrible.)

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1464961502658666505

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Guess we never should have put Dickie in this thread because he's not ComicsGate. (I'm kidding, of course, he's still terrible.)

https://twitter.com/comicsgateLs/status/1464961502658666505

To be fair, when I think of Meyer I think of a movement.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

bessantj posted:

To be fair, when I think of Meyer I think of a movement.

Solid

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Does this count as industry terribleness because it's extremely gross.

https://twitter.com/TheRealStanLee/status/1470750431643058181

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stan Lee's corpse used as an NFT? Yeah, I'd say that was pretty terrible even if it's necrophilia rather than the usual forms of abuse.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The real Stan Lee only it's not the real Stan Lee because he's dead.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Is that account run by the folks who were abusing him?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As much as I love Cartoonist Kayfabe, I’m glad I missed the recent David Choe episodes as I don’t want to support or enable someone who bragged/embellished about raping a woman.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alisonvingiano/celebrity-graffiti-artist-david-choe-says-admission-of-rapey

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn’t watch these latest videos but I listened to the interview they did with him a couple years ago. He’s since reiterated that the story was made up. https://www.brooklynstreetart.com/2017/06/17/artist-david-choe-apologizes-for-statements-about-rape-and-says-story-was-fictional/

Honestly I dunno. The one thing that’s really clear is that David Choe is a pretty hosed up guy who has a lot of demons.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s why I said he bragged and embellished instead of outright raping a woman. Although he more than likely did that poo poo, you don’t say something like that in what you think is a safe space and then walk it back only when it comes to public light.

I get that he has personal demons. A lot of people do. I went through trauma at a young age as well so I get it. I’m not trying to cancel the guy. At the same time, I recognize the tell tale signs of someone who has predatory tendencies and I just don’t want to gently caress with him or anything he does. I won’t pass judgment on those who do because it is a murky area, and as with most problematic artists, it ultimately falls on the individual who ingests and interacts with that art and artist.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it’s fine to call it out. I hadn’t heard of it, or if I did I forgot.

I just remembered the interview they did and how he was clearly still pretty out there. And when I looked for more info, that stuff with Brooklyn art showed up. There are two possibilities - one is that he raped a woman, the other that he thought it was funny to both make and keep running with a terrible rape story as a joke. I get not wanting to support the guy either way, and bringing it up when he hits a public sphere.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I literally never heard of him before an hour ago when I watched the GI Joe Cartoonist Kayfabe with him on it and I thought, "This guy is hosed up and making the episode kinda awkward"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe I need to hear the guy tell it but in even the most generous interpretation I can't see how that story is supposed to be a joke

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I had not heard boo about him previously, then listened to the CK episode where Choe talks about moderating the Frank Miller panel.
It made me think the dude's a rich dirtbag. That's my opinion formed just by hearing the guy speak. The fact that Ed seems to be pretty close pals with him lowers Piskor's stock with me too.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Happy New Year to all you webheads!

Edit: Wait, I posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well, no point in erasing my mistake.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 3, 2022

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

B33rChiller posted:

I had not heard boo about him previously, then listened to the CK episode where Choe talks about moderating the Frank Miller panel.
It made me think the dude's a rich dirtbag. That's my opinion formed just by hearing the guy speak. The fact that Ed seems to be pretty close pals with him lowers Piskor's stock with me too.

Isn't Piskor a piece of poo poo as well? Not an abuser, just an rear end in a top hat? Besides the whole white-kid thinking he's the arbiter of hip-hop thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vincent posted:

Isn't Piskor a piece of poo poo as well? Not an abuser, just an rear end in a top hat? Besides the whole white-kid thinking he's the arbiter of hip-hop thing.

Dunno. At the very least, he puts on a presentable mask for the episodes I've seen. Choe didn't seem to care who knew what he was like.