Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Narrator: "It was, in fact, not nice."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’m sure he’s found ways to keep busy, by disassembling the steering pedestal on watch for example.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is insanely long at sea times the new normal for the Navy now?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Sailors belong on ships!

Ships belong at sea!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It has been for the last decade+

Same CCMD requirements, fewer ships

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-20-257t posted:

Our work has shown that to meet heavy operational demands over the past decade with a smaller fleet, the Navy has increased ship deployment lengths and has reduced or deferred ship maintenance.

https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-17-809t posted:

For example, the deployment lengths for carrier strike groups had increased from an average of 6.4 months during the period of 2008 through 2011 to a less sustainable 9 months for three carrier strike groups that were deployed in 2015. In 2016, the Navy extended the deployments of the Harry S Truman and Theodore Roosevelt Carrier Strike Groups to 8 and 8.5 months, respectively.

https://news.usni.org/2020/11/12/no-margin-left-overworked-carrier-force-struggles-to-maintain-deployments-after-decades-of-overuse

https://csbaonline.org/uploads/documents/CSBA6174_(Deploying_Beyond_Their_Means)Final2-web.pdf

Edit: misread something and removed an erroneous conclusion.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Deployment lengths have always been long. Mr. Takes apart guns on watch is I assume saying they haven't hit a port in 69 days which is, yea, loving nuts.

But also ten years ago when I was on sea duty we had a 50 day and that wasn't that uncommon.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Reminder that cargo ships and tankers, if they’re managed properly, stop for maintenance at most six to ten days a year, non consecutive, and dry dock every five years.

We do switch out the crews every six to nine months or so though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nimitz CSG did just under 11 months this year.

My personal record for not seeing foot on dry land is 119 days, on the last boat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah in 2000-2001 we did 65 days out. We also didn’t hit any ports en route to the gulf.

It fuckin sucked.

Hey we got beer though!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I think our longest stretch of not leaving the ship or dock was about 90 days. We were either at sea or prohibited from going past the beer on the pier tent at the gangway.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Between workups for a Med in '89 and the end of Desert Storm, we spent 20 out of 22 months away from Norfolk, which was at the time thought of as a Big Deal, but I understand is pretty normal now. Do they still do beer days at sea if you don't pull into port for 45 days? We had two of those during DS.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Madurai posted:

Between workups for a Med in '89 and the end of Desert Storm, we spent 20 out of 22 months away from Norfolk, which was at the time thought of as a Big Deal, but I understand is pretty normal now. Do they still do beer days at sea if you don't pull into port for 45 days? We had two of those during DS.

If "operationally sustainable" yeah.

I've had two beer days. One was after 90+ days out so it should have been 4 beers on that but wasn't.

Where are my two old beers from storage, Navy?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

If "operationally sustainable" yeah.

I've had two beer days. One was after 90+ days out so it should have been 4 beers on that but wasn't.

Where are my two old beers from storage, Navy?

Don’t worry I took care of them for you. We had unlimited access to beer at least. If shits gonna suck at least we were mildly buzzed most evenings.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Reminder that cargo ships and tankers, if they’re managed properly, stop for maintenance at most six to ten days a year, non consecutive, and dry dock every five years.

We do switch out the crews every six to nine months or so though.

I dunno about your ships but I usually have 8-12 pistons that need to be pulled once a year, along with turbos, ABS inspections and whatever else. If I'm not getting at least 4 days a month downtime for maintenance we aren't going anywhere.

As 1st I'm usually doing under 70 days, the other officer might do around 120. The unlicensed do about 4 months.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It seems like in particular ships hit far fewer ports and spend more consecutive days at sea than even a few years ago. I though 50+ days out for anything other than a carrier was a big deal.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

Nimitz CSG did just under 11 months this year.

My personal record for not seeing foot on dry land is 119 days, on the last boat.

119 days out in a fast attack? holy gently caress. i hate to imagine what you were eating for the last month of that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

You should write to the Guinness World Records people since they claim the longest submarine patrol ever was 111 days.

Longest submerged patrol in World War 2 was 68 days by a U-boat with a schnorchel apparatus. That boat must've smelled good.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 10, 2021

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ded posted:

119 days out in a fast attack? holy gently caress. i hate to imagine what you were eating for the last month of that.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ded posted:

On one hand, advancing in your rating may require more responsibility and effort. On the other hand, advancement carries with it certain advantages.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You should write to the Guinness World Records people since they claim the longest submarine patrol ever was 111 days.

Longest submerged patrol in World War 2 was 68 days by a U-boat with a schnorchel apparatus. That boat must've smelled good.

4 hours no-liberty in Guam for stores at day 65 would fail the Guinness test.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

I’ve literally forgotten what my personal record was for consecutive time submerged but I think it was mid 60’s and that was miserable. Between Guam and Singapore port calls which was exciting. 7 month deployments are not fun.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

M_Gargantua posted:

deployments are not fun.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I did just over 100 days on a SSGN - that poo poo sucked terribly. By the end of that deployment I was eating PB+J and Raisin bran every meal because the poo poo they were serving in the galley was friggin nasty. I also managed to get ahold of the last of the ship's oatmeal and had to eat it in secret lest I go to mast.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe if you surface it doesn't count? I know a few Boomers have broken 120 days too.

ded posted:

Amazingly it wasn't close to the worst foodwise on that boat, we had legitimately 180 days food onboard, and started rationing meat day 1, we learned our lesson from previous missions/deployments where we ran out and were eating rice for every meal.

The absolute worst was when our freezers broke a week into a 65 day mission, and we had powdered egg for protein every meal. We also kept all the rotted meat on station, and started popping bags a few days before we pulled in so we could shoot it, the boat smelled awesome

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It seems like in particular ships hit far fewer ports and spend more consecutive days at sea than even a few years ago. I though 50+ days out for anything other than a carrier was a big deal.

I mean corona may be a big thing now. Can’t have your crew catching a disease so obviously the answer is just keep them on the boat as much as you can. Big navy never cared about morale anyway.

Wasn’t the Stennis’ deployment about 13 months? I know it was off the coast of Norfolk for a solid month before they pulled in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

Maybe if you surface it doesn't count? I know a few Boomers have broken 120 days too.

Amazingly it wasn't close to the worst foodwise on that boat, we had legitimately 180 days food onboard, and started rationing meat day 1, we learned our lesson from previous missions/deployments where we ran out and were eating rice for every meal.

The absolute worst was when our freezers broke a week into a 65 day mission, and we had powdered egg for protein every meal. We also kept all the rotted meat on station, and started popping bags a few days before we pulled in so we could shoot it, the boat smelled awesome

Just remember this: it took years after the invention of the combat-capable submarine to invent a toilet that worked on said submarines.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

I mean corona may be a big thing now. Can’t have your crew catching a disease so obviously the answer is just keep them on the boat as much as you can. Big navy never cared about morale anyway.

Wasn’t the Stennis’ deployment about 13 months? I know it was off the coast of Norfolk for a solid month before they pulled in.

Yes this was being in the Navy on a ship 2020. Stupidest poo poo I ever saw. The civilians could come and go as they pleased but the Navy restricted us to the ship.
Also the flagship's ship and staff and crew could go home everyday and they were berthed right next to us. poo poo made zero sense.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Yes this was being in the Navy on a ship 2020. Stupidest poo poo I ever saw. The civilians could come and go as they pleased but the Navy restricted us to the ship.
Also the flagship's ship and staff and crew could go home everyday and they were berthed right next to us. poo poo made zero sense.

Ah I see you got a small taste of how the entire Navy is normally friend :P

My brother was a small arms instructor at Great Lakes and they were made to live on base in shifts, 20 days on 10 days off. The civilian instructors and workers just came and went :lol:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I will no longer complain about not seeing a port for 29 days.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

PneumonicBook posted:

Ah I see you got a small taste of how the entire Navy is normally friend :P

My brother was a small arms instructor at Great Lakes and they were made to live on base in shifts, 20 days on 10 days off. The civilian instructors and workers just came and went :lol:

pwned lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I want to thank you guys. Every time something makes me think about how the Navy gets certain things right that the AF absolutely pisses away to spite its people and the hint of a "grass is greener over there" notion starts to take root, something like that gets posted and I remember the grass is dead everywhere.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

I want to thank you guys. Every time something makes me think about how the Navy gets certain things right that the AF absolutely pisses away to spite its people and the hint of a "grass is greener over there" notion starts to take root, something like that gets posted and I remember the grass is dead everywhere.

The grass has been spray painted green and is now highly flammable.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

My one beer day was O'douls for us enlisted pukes. Was extra lovely having been one of the LS crew to see and onload the pallets of MGD bound for the wardroom.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

Hope the cooks all got nams for properly planning that. Not a joke.

Our longest while on pac was only 53 days out. Even with just that we had 2 layers of cans on the berthing deck, stuff stored in engineering, and the fan room.

edit : heck i think we had stuff in the sonar sphere too.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Gray Matter posted:

My one beer day was O'douls for us enlisted pukes. Was extra lovely having been one of the LS crew to see and onload the pallets of MGD bound for the wardroom.

There are few things that make my blood pressure rise faster than when people insist the food in the mess and wardroom is exactly the same as what the help gets.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Still going on, we're restricted to base, all the people from Subpac and Devron get put up at the Dusit Thani, with strict orders to go straight to the boat from there I'm sure.

They caught my (former) XO off base having dinner with his girlfriend on multiple occasions, OFC.

ded posted:

Hope the cooks all got nams for properly planning that. Not a joke.

Our longest while on pac was only 53 days out. Even with just that we had 2 layers of cans on the berthing deck, stuff stored in engineering, and the fan room.

edit : heck i think we had stuff in the sonar sphere too.

They did, the NAMs rolled thick and hard that deployment, about 50% of E5s, and everyone above.

Fun fact about the Seawolf class that I didn't know until we rammed a mountain, they don't have an accessible bit of pressure hull in the sphere, although the VA class went back to the having one.

I do not know the reason for this.

Fun anecdote from pull-in day: little shreds of sphere wiring had gotten blasted all over the deck during the surface transit, and lodged in the fat line fairing. I arrived topside to help with shore power, and found Ediv carefully verifying dead, and taping over all the little wire chunks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh hey, check out this cool racist poo poo our command's doing; we just got a new sailor, who's black, with dyed blonde hair, they're making him dye it back to dark brown/black.

Very cool normal organization.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

When I was in I worked with a guy who dyed his hair and it came out some hosed up not normal color and they made him dye it back :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Over two deployments, we averaged about 30 with a max of 54.

As far as deployment length, mine were both 8.5. The deployment before I got there and after I left were both almost 11.