Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ugh, I guess I've known all along it wouldn't happen but was really hoping YTTY or Fubo or even Hulu would announce they were going to carry the Bally RSN's. With NHL season almost upon us, seems like I will have to get a Directv Stream package to watch my hockey team. Is anyone using them already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

phosdex posted:

Ugh, I guess I've known all along it wouldn't happen but was really hoping YTTY or Fubo or even Hulu would announce they were going to carry the Bally RSN's. With NHL season almost upon us, seems like I will have to get a Directv Stream package to watch my hockey team. Is anyone using them already?

You could do NHL.TV and a DNS/VPN thing to get around blackouts if hockey is the only reason you need a streaming service.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah how tf is hockey not an option on YouTube tv

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I wonder how ESPN+ would be with blackouts for the NHL. Really, I don't give a poo poo about anything else and would rather just pay for NHL.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Yeah how tf is hockey not an option on YouTube tv

When the rsn's were Fox owned, they were on the major streaming platforms. But then Bally took over and I forget if they straight up won't allow it or just want too much money. So now you need directv/comcast to get them.

Unfortunately for me, I need a dvr with my hockey because I normally watch the game next morning. So a vpn solution doesn't work.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Bally’s is starting their own streaming service for all of their stations. You are going to have to pay them to watch your teams and I am guessing that they will region lock you unless you pay extra.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Just to rant a bit, I subscribed to the Directv Stream Choice package; $85/mo. This gives me Bally Sports North so I can watch the Minnesota Wild. But the DTV package only includes a 20 hour dvr. Not terrible and I can live with this since I'm only recording hockey and I'll delete after viewing. But DTV being a tiny independent startup with no money, they can't or won't let you choose a team and say record all of their games. No, I can say record all NHL hockey games, but not an individual team. This same thing goes for any sports; NFL etc. Seems like what they want you to do is pay the $10/mo for unlimited DVR and then record all sports.

Also won't let me use Firefox to watch in browser, have to use Chrome or Safari. Assume this is some DRM poo poo.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Further YTTV / Ballys / NHL chat. I'm now out of market for my main team which I guess means that ESPN+ would allow me to catch most of their games this year while leaving me SOL for my local team.

I have a year left on the promo D+ pre-purchase 3 years thing, if I upgrade to the "bundle" that includes ESPN+ & Hulu, do I get credit for my remaining year of D+ off that? Or how does that work?

I've googled but all I can find are Reddit people who subscribe to everything complaining about not getting any savings by bundling.

Also, I've got an Amex that pays for the NYT and Peacock. Wonder how bad the hit is going to be when those credits go away and all of us just cancel our subs. I've got no reason to sub to Peacock if I have to actually pay for it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm in the same boat as you, both with the "i guess, why not" free Amex subs to NYT and Peacock, and with the "3 year D+ membership being supplanted by the Bundle"

FWIW, I only switched to the Bundle because I switched to Verizon and now get the Bundle included with my Verizon plan. When I signed up for the Bundle through Verizon, it told me that my existing 3-year sub was now "on pause" and that i was now subscribed to the Bundle through Verizon.

So I assume if Verizon stops offering the Bundle with their plans and I cancel it, my 3-year D+ membership will resume (it only has about ~1 year left)

bundle

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I learned last night that Direct TV Stream actually has "traditional channel surfing" or whatever you want to call it. That is, cycling through channels directly via button press (left and right directional buttons in this case). I get that this is a Boomer thing to care about or w/e, but it's a big selling point since my wife really wanted it (and me too, ngl). I know I've seen a post or two in here asking for it as well, albeit usually on behalf of someone's grandpa.

It's also, weirdly, the only service other than Sling (which I already tried and hated) to have both Hallmark and TNT included. The former is on my wife's must-have list, the latter is on my "nice-to-have" list so I don't have to keep going to shady re-streaming sites to watch my pro-rasslin' shows. So, more big points in favor of this service. It was never on my radar because I assumed it was tied to traditional Direct TV, but it's just a regular-rear end app that you can sign up for like any other and use on Apple TV, Roku, etc. (although the website WILL try to steer you towards a TV package and proprietary streaming box rental).

So I'm taking the $80 plunge ($70 for the basic package + a pretty much mandatory $10 upgrade to make the DVR worth a drat) with a 2-week refund window. Seems nice so far, and as expected it feels like a premium experience coming from Philo. Anything I should watch out for, other than the price tag?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

After all the ATT, DirecTV, OAN information that's come to light lately, I would have trouble giving them my money.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Minidust posted:

So I learned last night that Direct TV Stream actually has "traditional channel surfing" or whatever you want to call it. That is, cycling through channels directly via button press (left and right directional buttons in this case). I get that this is a Boomer thing to care about or w/e, but it's a big selling point since my wife really wanted it (and me too, ngl). I know I've seen a post or two in here asking for it as well, albeit usually on behalf of someone's grandpa.

It's also, weirdly, the only service other than Sling (which I already tried and hated) to have both Hallmark and TNT included. The former is on my wife's must-have list, the latter is on my "nice-to-have" list so I don't have to keep going to shady re-streaming sites to watch my pro-rasslin' shows. So, more big points in favor of this service. It was never on my radar because I assumed it was tied to traditional Direct TV, but it's just a regular-rear end app that you can sign up for like any other and use on Apple TV, Roku, etc. (although the website WILL try to steer you towards a TV package and proprietary streaming box rental).

So I'm taking the $80 plunge ($70 for the basic package + a pretty much mandatory $10 upgrade to make the DVR worth a drat) with a 2-week refund window. Seems nice so far, and as expected it feels like a premium experience coming from Philo. Anything I should watch out for, other than the price tag?

I posted a rant about DTV Stream a few posts up. Things I've learned since: Rew/FF on Apple TV is a little wonky. Watching in browser on my computer, the stream stutters maybe every 10 minutes or so. Trying to use the guide at the end of shows gets real weird. Like if its 11:59 and you're trying to switch to NBC because at noon a show is about to start you want to watch, DTV thinks you want to switch to the show that is just about to end, but its about to end so instead it pops up the show information card and makes it difficult to just change the channel. Reading the reddit sub about DTV makes it sound like many little annoyances with the service work perfectly fine if you buy their box (which you can get on ebay for half price).

Also read that you can no longer cancel service via the website or chat. You must call.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

phosdex posted:

I posted a rant about DTV Stream a few posts up. Things I've learned since: Rew/FF on Apple TV is a little wonky. Watching in browser on my computer, the stream stutters maybe every 10 minutes or so. Trying to use the guide at the end of shows gets real weird. Like if its 11:59 and you're trying to switch to NBC because at noon a show is about to start you want to watch, DTV thinks you want to switch to the show that is just about to end, but its about to end so instead it pops up the show information card and makes it difficult to just change the channel. Reading the reddit sub about DTV makes it sound like many little annoyances with the service work perfectly fine if you buy their box (which you can get on ebay for half price).

Also read that you can no longer cancel service via the website or chat. You must call.
Good to hear about this experience, thanks! Yeah in my brief time so far, I see what you mean about Apple TV. And with the newer ATV remote, I can see what they were going for to try and maximize inputs, but it kinda sucks in practice (long swipes across the touchpad to change channels, left/right clicks to scrub). If you disable the touchpad and do clicks only, it actually works a lot better (clicks to change channels, pause-then-click to scrub), but then you lose one of the things I love about that remote.

I am going to mess around with a programmable remote that I already had lyring around and see if it's a good fit ("One For All" Streaming Remote, it's designed ground-up for a simple TV+box+soundbar setup). Changing channels with an actual channel-change button might make this a winner.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

bull3964 posted:

After all the ATT, DirecTV, OAN information that's come to light lately, I would have trouble giving them my money.

I don't think there's any TV network or provider that is left wing. Any other company (especially publicly traded) would've done the same thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, there's a bit of difference between being left wing and being the primary funding source for a network of hate and misinformation.

You do you, but there are other ways to get programming.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not paying dtv money out of the goodness of my heart or love for att. It's the only way I can get my rsn and watch hockey legally. I don't want to jump through weird hoops to watch games on my appletv. As soon as the season is over I'll cancel.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

bull3964 posted:

*as you take a drink from your nestle water bottle*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jabro posted:

*as you take a drink from your nestle water bottle*

Nothing is perfect so you shouldn't do anything (that said, I don't drink bottled water).

Anyways, in other news, T-Mobile is giving out (ad tier) free access to Paramount+ for a year.

https://www.engadget.com/t-mobile-paramount-plus-free-year-sprint-140923060.html?src=rss

I wonder if you can also use it to get a discount on the ad-free version.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Gotta say I'm already feelin the jank with DirectTV Stream. Seems way too easy to hit a "dead end" in the UI where you have to back out a few times to get back to what you were doing. The "slippery" channel guide lends itself to this problem.... like you're expecting to snap right to a live feed, but turns out the little blue "live" line was slightly off and instead you get taken to the splash page for a show, which might have some on-demand content available, or might just be a description and nothing else (dead end!). Philo has been doing this too but whatever, it's $20. I don't recall YTTV having this issue with the guide so I'm guessing other services are just better about snapping you to the live point in the guide menu.

I like the "Bookmarks" idea in theory but the implementation is poor. Like if you select a show from your DVR library, only episodes that have actually been recorded will show up. But if you go to a show from your Bookmarks, you see an integrated list of recordings and VOD content. So to get the best experience, you have to add shows to both DVR and bookmarks, rendering the whole system pointless. I guess it has more of a purpose if you only have the 20-hour DVR and really need to janitor things.

I guess UI jank is always gonna be present when the controls are designed around like a 6-button remote (Apple TV and Roku in my case). Worst offender to me was the YTTV guide, where backing out involves pressing back/menu, then up, then clicking the title of the current video. No idea why they didn't just do it like PS Vue (R.I.P.) where the guide fades away after a few seconds of inactivity. I haven't been using the smart TV features on my Bravia, but are any Android TV apps better about this? "Full-size" remote utilization would go a long way, like It's crazy how much all these apps could be improved with a simple dedicated guide button.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I also suffer from boomer in law acceptance with YouTube tv... I've been working on a smart remote thing with ESP over ADB but still need to iron out the kinks. I want to put it into one of those 2 foot large remotes. We've gone full circle.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I actually find myself wanting the channel up and down functions more since with Youtube TV I can reorder the stations in the guide into the order that I want, and sometimes I don't want to bring up the guide because I simply want to move to the next station. I'd rather do it in one click than three. For the same reason I really, really miss the Last Channel function.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Listerine posted:

I actually find myself wanting the channel up and down functions more since with Youtube TV I can reorder the stations in the guide into the order that I want, and sometimes I don't want to bring up the guide because I simply want to move to the next station. I'd rather do it in one click than three. For the same reason I really, really miss the Last Channel function.

You can last channel by hitting down 3 times, but it's not as convenient as just having a one button command.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

You can last channel by hitting down 3 times, but it's not as convenient as just having a one button command.

Still better than nothing, and I did not know this, so thank you!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I now have both free Peacock and free Paramount and between them I can’t decide which is more unnecessary as a stand-alone paid service. Discovery+ is probably a better buy

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Discovery + is also gonna merge with HBOMax at some point

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't think of a single thing on Discovery+ that I would want to watch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Renovation Realities is great. Just a nice, voiceover-free 22 minutes of homeowners bumbling their way through renovation projects and loving up constantly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sounds like the kind of thing my parents would have on when I visit. I have zero interest in reality shows.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

I can't think of a single thing on Discovery+ that I would want to watch.

Triple Ds for life.

Honestly re-watching No Reservations is the best thing about it. I do enjoy watching some of the food shows and a few of the docs, but that is about all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nate fisher posted:

Triple Ds for life.

Oh god no. That IS the thing that my parents default to at their house if it's on. I have nothing against Guy Fieri himself and the show seems harmless enough, but it's so repetitive and mind numbing.

I mean, Peacock at least has "A.P. Bio" which is worth the price of admission alone for at least a month. Paramount+ has "Evil" and "No Activity" and a (finally) growing library of Paramount movies.

I mean, different strokes for different folks which is totally fine. Discovery+ just has zero appeal for me. It doesn't help that some stuff I would have found entertaining on there in the past I can't stomach to watch now (Dirty Jobs) due to how lovely a person Mike Rowe is.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have had Paramount+, Peacock and Discovery+.

I got a year of Paramount+ for $30 but it is not getting renewed when the time comes. Peacock got one month from me and I have not looked back to getting it (my kids watched the boss baby movie). Discovery+ gets me watching Good Eats, Unwrapped, Bert the Conqueror, and a bunch of documentary style shows. I teach and I used a series on the Salem Witch trials in my history class.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Paramount+ and Peacock both have potential for different reasons.

Paramount+ has the potential for a huge back catalog of classic TV shows going back to the start of the medium. CBS especially produced lots and lots of shows but a lot of these aren't streaming anywhere. It would be great if Paramount could work out whatever needs to be done and have these old shows streaming.

Universal could have a giant catalog of movies on their service but again for whatever reason they haven't worked on securing the streaming rights for a lot of these, or they are just waiting for them to revert back to them.

As they are right now, they are both pretty mediocre.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got HBO Max with my Cricket plan and I like it but there's no way I'd pay sticker for it, particularly with ads. Same goes for Hulu, honestly, which I'm on like my third year of getting for $2 a month thanks to Black Friday. Netflix got weirdly expensive too.

Cable didn't die it just regenerated, they gon get their money

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Cable didn't die it just regenerated, they gon get their money

You say this as if the quality of the programming (both creatively and actual video and audio quality) didn't take a massive leap forward.

Plus the lack of ads, that's worth it alone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Probably Disney+ is the best deal if you’re into Marvel at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They need to pick up the pace for series releases in that case.

Am I the only one that doesn't really give a poo poo about back catalog as much as new original content? Disney+gaming all the marvel moves doesn't do much for me since I've seen them a ton

HBO is on fire as always (Doom Patrol alone is great). Hulu did pretty good lately as well, especially since they have all FX content the day after it airs. Only Murders in the Building was a fun little diversion too.

I cancelled peacock because they haven't had enough original content come out and they aren't releasing Syfy/USA content day after. I pretty much re-up for a month when A.P. Bio's new season hits and I'll probably check out the new season of Girls5Ever.

Paramount+ has Evil, The Lower Decks, No Activity, and I'm actually enjoying ST: Prodigy and the bundle with Showtime really drops the price and Showtime has a ton of good original content as well.

Netflix and Amazon alone are going to keep my occupied the rest of the year between Wheel of Time, Cowboy Beebop, and The Expanse.

My problem for the most part isn't the lack of something to watch on these services, it's the lack of time to fully utilize them.

Even then when you add them all up, they come out to like 65% of a cable bill while having higher bitrate video with modern encoding, 4k, HDR, Atmos sound.

Value for money is insane right now compared to cable.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is this the thread to talk about Roku/Fire Stick/Apple TV/Chromecast? We're subbing to a whole bunch of stuff -- YouTube, Peacock, Apple+, Disney+, Netflix, Prime Video. What's the general consensus on which one is best? All I know is I don't want a bunch of ads.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Apple TV

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, I'd say Apple TV is probably what you want.

With the Shield as a close second if you prefer the Google ecosystem. I think you have to fiddle around some with it to fully kill ads though, not sure since it's been years since I've had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kri kri posted:

Apple TV

I realize it is the most expensive but IMO it is also the best. I have previously gone through all the other ones before just biting the bullet and getting the Apple TV and couldn't be happier.

It just works and it is snappy. Also for the most part the apps won't be nearly as buggy as they can be on some of the other platforms.

You can get a refurbished one direct from Apple for $129 and if you don't like it they will just take it back no questions asked.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...oduct-FHY93LL/A