Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Don't get me wrong if it was a show that had a mix of:

Plebs like you and me playing and beating a celeb at a game (all the more satisfying if a celeb absolutely crushes some 11 year old)
Interviews with "famous" people from the industry talking about how certain behind the scenes stuff like how games are made
Reviews of games coming out this week
A chance to text in and win some kind of prize
A retro section covering some nostalgic poo poo of the week.

I'd probably tune in each week.

That might be the hook if it gets the balance right. Sure there might be load of stuff online, but there's loads of stuff online. My steam store page is a clusterfuck of garbage noise half the time and it's usually the SA forums or the PlayStation store that I get a heads up that something specific's coming out

Having a well-hosted show that presents weekly, curated, bite-sized pieces of the above would be right up my street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just want them to find ways of luring Dave 'The Games Animal' Perry back, only to mess around with him and have him throw a strop. Every week.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Game Center CX is basically the gold standard of video game shows.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We'll all have a good new series of Digitiser to look forward to next year at least!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

Don't get me wrong if it was a show that had a mix of:

Plebs like you and me playing and beating a celeb at a game (all the more satisfying if a celeb absolutely crushes some 11 year old)
Interviews with "famous" people from the industry talking about how certain behind the scenes stuff like how games are made
Reviews of games coming out this week
A chance to text in and win some kind of prize
A retro section covering some nostalgic poo poo of the week.

I'd probably tune in each week.

That might be the hook if it gets the balance right. Sure there might be load of stuff online, but there's loads of stuff online. My steam store page is a clusterfuck of garbage noise half the time and it's usually the SA forums or the PlayStation store that I get a heads up that something specific's coming out

Having a well-hosted show that presents weekly, curated, bite-sized pieces of the above would be right up my street.

Personally, I think this is the killer part. I used to love all the stuff above, and looking at all the new releases and stuff, but that's because I was 14.

I'm in my mid-thirties now, and I don't have time to do all that. What I do have is the means to pay (either cash money or in eyeballs to advertisers that I can afford to pay for products from) in order to have someone curate the best of for me.

Put simply, when I was a mid-teen it was worth me spending hours to save pounds, either on a good deal or avoiding a bad game. Now it's worth me spending pounds to save those hours.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Marmaduke! posted:

We'll all have a good new series of Digitiser to look forward to next year at least!

As much as I loved it back in the day, the stuff Biffo does now just doesn’t work for me. I am however really happy he managed to carve a niche for himself, and is enjoying a 2nd run at nerdy fame. He’s always seemed a good dude.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Always felt that Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe special had the potential for a full series. At this stage, just give me any Charlie Brooker again...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Heavy_D posted:

Always felt that Charlie Brooker's Gameswipe special had the potential for a full series. At this stage, just give me any Charlie Brooker again...

IIRC his last couple of wipes weren't fantastic. I think he's had his day with that sort of thing and like he's said himself it's difficult for him to have a biting critical eye when he himself is part of the machine he's criticising (and a lot of what he puts out through that machine is mediocre).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
His most recent project seems to have failed to make any real noise to the extent I didn't even realise it was a thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/sep/27/attack-of-the-hollywood-cliches-charlie-brooker-rob-lowe-shoddy-tropefest

Having watched a few minutes: It really needs Brooker's angry ranting rather than Lowe's affable segways.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 10, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

His most recent project seems to have failed to make any real noise to the extent I didn't even realise it was a thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/sep/27/attack-of-the-hollywood-cliches-charlie-brooker-rob-lowe-shoddy-tropefest

Having watched a few minutes: It really needs Brooker's angry ranting rather than Lowe's affable segways.

I've watched it without even realising it was by Brooker. Thought it was by the same team who did History of Swear Words with Nicolas cage. It follows pretty much the same formula, but much more condensed. Summaries of TV Tropes pages interspersed with mild self-deprecating jokes delivered by Lowe, and random thoughts on the tropes by various talking heads (some of whom I actually quite like). It was borderline Watch Mojo Top 10 drivel, when you think about it. Extremely mediocre.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

I've watched it without even realising it was by Brooker.
Wikipedia lists it under “Produced” rather than “Written” so I wouldn’t say it’s “by” him in the same way that e.g, Death to 2020 was.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The only way I could find season 5 of bake off to watch was to get a US version. And god, the americans get such a loving poo poo version of it.
It doesn't show Paul/Mary explain what the technical actually IS and why they picked it. At all.
It cuts out the little bits where they go and talk about baking history - not a huge deal.
But it also cuts out the contestants talking a lot as well as any bits at all about their life (even in the final!!)

It's just lost so much of its flavour.

Taear fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 16, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t even know anyone ripped the US version, I hope the version I’ve been getting for my mother in law has been the right one!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I didn’t even know anyone ripped the US version, I hope the version I’ve been getting for my mother in law has been the right one!

Which season of it is she watching?
Because I can tell you really easily if it's the US one or the UK one. I think they don't do the cuts as viciously for the new seasons at least.

gently caress they even cut out them showing us the festival thing going on outside in the finale which makes the last episode feel loving strange.
We're watching 5 because Luis was a friend of my ex's dad and he died recently, so it was interesting to see him again. My ex's dad was in the little side bits they show about the baker but of course - this version didn't show it so it was basically a waste.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough, s5 looking at my logs. I just checked the episode I had (first 1 only, as she wasn't sure if she'd seen it) and there's a PBS logo at the beginning :/ but then it runs 53 minutes so who knows. I've also been grabbing the latest season as it airs, so I know that'll be UK sourced at least.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Ross Noble is in the Australian Apprentice on iPlayer, and he's pretty great in it, almost makes it worth watching just for him. In one episode he kind of does a sexual assault, but maybe that's alright in Australia?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Taear posted:

Which season of it is she watching?
Because I can tell you really easily if it's the US one or the UK one. I think they don't do the cuts as viciously for the new seasons at least.

gently caress they even cut out them showing us the festival thing going on outside in the finale which makes the last episode feel loving strange.
We're watching 5 because Luis was a friend of my ex's dad and he died recently, so it was interesting to see him again. My ex's dad was in the little side bits they show about the baker but of course - this version didn't show it so it was basically a waste.

Its because they are cutting to fit a whole hour of non advert bbc to have adverts, where as the new ones on channel 4 are already only 45 mins of content

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr Beens posted:

Its because they are cutting to fit a whole hour of non advert bbc to have adverts, where as the new ones on channel 4 are already only 45 mins of content

I think the C4 ones come close to an hour - with adverts they're between 80 and 90 minutes. Although they had a ludicrous amount of adverts.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

The channel 4 ones are on for an hour and a half so that's basically an hour show.
They've cut the BBC ones to like 44 minutes. It's soulless.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Tonight’s bake off is 75mins including ads. Semi final though, so probably one of the shorter episodes? Fewer contestants, but not the final where they do all the extra stuff.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cancel Bake Off. It's over. Idiots.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The bake off fury this year is truly incredible. Can't believe no one seemed to think that Chig's showstopper looked poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Yea that was pretty unexpected.

I guess I feel like Guiseppe should have gone because they couldn't taste his pine nuts?

Also I'm still calling back to season 5 with baked alaskagate, god that whole bit is EXTRA strange on the US one where they don't even announce Diana left, she's just not there any more at all.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 16, 2021

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Taear posted:

The channel 4 ones are on for an hour and a half so that's basically an hour show.
They've cut the BBC ones to like 44 minutes. It's soulless.

Ahh right, TBH I've not watched the C4 bakeoffs, I just assumed they would have been "standard" length.
This is why all the recent Attenborough shows on the BBC have been 50 mins + 10 mins making of at the end, so they can sell them to the US without needing to edit the main show.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
You say recent, but that's been going on for at least a decade.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Fatty posted:

You say recent, but that's been going on for at least a decade.

That's what recent means now. We're all old, op.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

Ahh right, TBH I've not watched the C4 bakeoffs, I just assumed they would have been "standard" length.
This is why all the recent Attenborough shows on the BBC have been 50 mins + 10 mins making of at the end, so they can sell them to the US without needing to edit the main show.

I know this but I feel there's a difference between cutting out side bits and removing fundamental parts of the show and turning it into something that doesn't make sense any more.
Like if you don't show Paul/Mary sat with the thing they've asked the bakers to make for the technical you're a bit lost when they all display theirs because you probably don't know what it looks like!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

I know this but I feel there's a difference between cutting out side bits and removing fundamental parts of the show and turning it into something that doesn't make sense any more.
Like if you don't show Paul/Mary sat with the thing they've asked the bakers to make for the technical you're a bit lost when they all display theirs because you probably don't know what it looks like!

At least you'll know how the bakers feel then. Last week's really was peak "we're punishing you for not magically knowing what this obscure dessert is meant to look like despite our deliberately poor instructions". They should at least get a picture to aim towards.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Stath Lets Flats; as a lifelong Haringey resident, I've definitely never seen as remotely nice a stretch of canal before. Anyone got any idea where it was?

Fatty fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 18, 2021

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I’ve tried two episodes of Stath and I don’t get it

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

thehustler posted:

It's poo poo, don't worry about it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

thehustler posted:

He lets flats.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I think to appreciate Stath you kind of have to accept it takes place in a weird hyperexaggerated version of the real world. Even the straight man character, Dean, exists in this bizarre setting.

Personally think it's one of the best sitcoms of the last five years, but each to their own. Tim Key cameo in the final episode was great.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

stev posted:

At least you'll know how the bakers feel then. Last week's really was peak "we're punishing you for not magically knowing what this obscure dessert is meant to look like despite our deliberately poor instructions". They should at least get a picture to aim towards.

I always assume they MUST have something like that because across all the seasons I've not seen one where it doesn't match.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think Stath is brilliant, but it's definitely an acquired taste. Have to be able to endure some properly cringe comedy, and all the broken english etc.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i have never posted here about bake off before but im so loving livid. theres no way there wasnt producer interference every step of the way. it felt like they had marching orders from the word go. saying the reason you would use beetroot in a food and then not shaking his hand but giving one to everyone else??? since fuckin when??? then jurgen shits all over them in the technical even if only by default, then he absolutely CRUSHES the showstopper. my guy REFORMULATED MATCHA TO BOTH PAUL AND PRUES SPECIFIC PREFERENCES and theyre like "oh the boats are a little underdecorated" even though they had accompanying flags he loving piped LEGIBLE KANJI onto. then the gall of calling his beautiful greens underwhelming while heaping praise on giuseppes leaning tower of boring white with an even worse green colour, or the apples that werent apples with the far lazier looking centerpiece from chigs. i really feel like the producers wanted to have a final where there was still a woman (and crystelle deserves it so its fair), a young guy and an old guy, and frankly i think they want a big chigs win to complete the "only been baking for 12 months" narrative. i can usually suspend my disbelief about the inner workings of the show, but i genuinely felt gross at the end of this one, and if chigs somehow wins it all over crystelle i will genuinely quit the show for good. not that chigs is BAD per se, just the least good of the remainder, its not like last season where they just kept pushing laura through for no fuckin reason.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Paper Lion posted:

hey want a big chigs win to complete the "only been baking for 12 months" narrative.

Yeah this is getting annoying. They bring it up multiple times every episode. It's probably not even true (or is technically true in the sense that he's been taking intensive professional baking classes for 12 months straight or something).

I liked Laura though. It was nice that they rewarded her for the taste of the food rather than punishing her for it looking slightly messy. That might just be because everything I've ever cooked looks like it's fallen on the floor though.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i hated laura, because theyre always such sticklers about appearance and were clearly grading her on a different rubrick than everyone else. there was at least one week i remember where she stayed and someone else left because of some aesthetic concern and i was losing my mind at the tv about it lmao. she really felt to me like the producers saw her early and thought "oh, theres a guaranteed meltdown every week, keep her around." im not one of those people that think the show has gotten worse since the move to channel 4, but i certainly feel like its gotten more cynical. the addition of matt as a host has not helped, not just for his own sense of humour but he kind of enables noels worst tendencies as well. idk

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Giuseppes tower was absolutely piss poor. It was a solid lump of rice crispies on an angled stick stuck in greengrocers grass. They didn't even like what he'd made all that much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It is insane to have two episodes in a row where the showstoppers were all so close and in one of them they took the baker's performance in previous episodes into consideration and in the other they didn't.