Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the issue here is trying to find something to actually be able to take on buses/the metro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
america is a failed state

and like a backed-up toilet overflows and floods the bathroom floor first, such is america.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
the cops probably know the dudes at the chop shops and use them as "a source" (which means they do nothing but help each other commit crimes )

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you arent supposed to talk to each other on public transit and it rules

(edit: but you can absolutely talk if youre feeling manic or one of those miserable type a's)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

This person has literally never been on public transportation in their life and it shows.

You have to put up with 10 times the amount of other people's invasive bullshit driving.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

oh okay lets destroy the planet then, when we all drown from rising sea levels at least we'll die knowing we didnt have to talk to anyone on the bus

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is sick today so we're keeping him home from daycare, that means i dont have to drive him to daycare... which is about the only time i have to drive. a day with no driving, is a good day. thank you.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

every day i must climb into a tiny cage and pilot it on giant scars we've carved into the surface of a once beautiful world, knowing each time that it may be my last as thousands of other tiny cages piloted by angry and distracted prisoners are there with me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ArmZ posted:

why hasn't this been posted here yet???

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1458134940218966016

The Waller County district attorney’s office said in a statement that a teenager who drove his vehicle into bicyclists training for a triathlon, hitting all six riders and sending four to the hospital, has been charged with six counts of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon — one charge for each cyclist hit on Sept. 25. The teen, who has yet to be publicly identified, was not charged or cited by police after the incident, despite accounts from victims and witnesses that he deliberately antagonized the riders.

That course of action by the police set off a backlash from critics and bike safety advocates, who described the crash as “egregious.” Many in Waller County pointed to the case of Victor Tome, who killed two riders in 2017 when he intentionally plowed into a small group of them. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole this year after he was convicted of capital murder.

One of the riders will have flipped him off and he'll walk because he was afraid for his life

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I would say the issue here is trying to find something to actually be able to take on buses/the metro.

you could get a brompton, they are expensive tho

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

chicken and egg... if sitting on a train makes you mentally break down completely, there's a good chance that's because you've been messed up by the social isolation caused by suburban car culture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've said many times that extroverts have a brain disease because they were going bugfuck insane about having to chill out at home for a while until the pandemic passed

This person, too, has a brain disease

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

My biggest question is where the gently caress do these all go? Are there really that many scummy riders/shops/resellers that will buy bikes of dubious origin at the quantity we see being stolen?

i bet a lot of them are just sold on craigslist or facebook market or whatever as 'used,' too. it's not like anyone is asking for an original store receipt to prove the provenance of a used bike when they pick it up

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We need to flood the country with bikes so that everyone has each cheap/free access to them and there's less incentive to steal them. Or I guess we could offer a sliding-scale rebate on certain e-bikes for rich people. Whatever.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

ebike theft is not as huge of a deal here tho regular bike theft still is and I can only surmise that’s because of the dozens of lovely bike share wrecks still laying all over the place

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just joined a public advocacy group here in the Twin Cities that's pushing to have the part of I-94 that goes through Minneapolis and St. Paul turned into a vehicle free greenway

Basically I-94 is at the end of it's life, and while they can repave it, the time between when they have to repave gets smaller each time - started at 13-15 years when it was built in the 1960s, now it's seven years.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We need to flood the country with bikes so that everyone has each cheap/free access to them and there's less incentive to steal them. Or I guess we could offer a sliding-scale rebate on certain e-bikes for rich people. Whatever.

Universal Bicycle Income

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

One of the riders will have flipped him off and he'll walk because he was afraid for his life

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

drat, if only he had hit them in a more controlled manner

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They charge the riders for damaging his truck

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

aggravated assault on a deadly weapon

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

No joke I used to be part of a cycling club that did some training rides at a large park in the city. This park had a big one-way ring road around the outside a few km long, and on that road there was a dedicated cycling lane about as wide as the car lane on the outside of the circle. It was a super popular place for cyclists and on a weekend morning there's be hundreds of bikes riding around the ring and practically no cars.

One morning the club was doing pace-line practice, so we were riding in a bunch but at fairly low speeds so that people could practice the technique. There was a SUV stopped on the road ahead of us indicating to turn off the ring road onto a side street, and the layout of this place means that the car has to turn across the cycling lane to do so. The car was about 100m up the road and was completely stationary with its indicator going as we approached, so we assumed that the car had seen us and was waiting for us to pass before turning, however just as the bunch started to ride past the SUV it suddenly turned into the group resulting in a big crash with one guy getting knocked out and losing some teeth.

One guy riding at the back of the group had a video camera recording at the time and captured the whole thing, police and ambulance were called and the video was given to the police. A little while later the police decide to charge the guy who was knocked out and lost some teeth with reckless riding and not the SUV, because the police thought that the cyclists were riding too close together to avoid hitting the car when it turned into us...

It went to court and eventually was overturned and the police were forced to pay costs by the judge because of how ludicrous the whole situation was, but yeah wouldn't be the first time I'd have heard of a cyclist getting charge for having the nerve to damage a car by getting run over by it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this thing has been showing up in my neighborhood recently lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Let the air out of its tires

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

let the air out of the owner's lungs

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Let the air out of its tires

he was in the vehicle so prob not a good idea

edit: looked up the model and lol

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Nov 11, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

let's get the "millennial mom's" review of the SUV version

https://www.thewhig.com/reviews/road-test/millennial-moms-review-2021-gmc-yukon-denali

quote:

GMC isn’t a luxury brand, but definitely not a brand to be taken lightly — as if you’ve got a choice, when this thing weighs almost 6,000 lbs.

The tested SUV is the top-trim Denali model, fully loaded with the Denali Ultimate Package (an added $10,525), and somewhat fancier than the average SUV because it guzzles diesel. It may not be a selling point for many, but amid a plethora of SUVs that are going green in some way or the other, I think the Yukon stands out from the crowd.

If you really want to stand out in the crowd, you’ve got to be willing to let go of just over $93,000 — at least for the tested model. Luckily, that experience can still come at a lesser price, if you’re willing to forego all the extras. If you’re just looking for size, the base trim with four-wheel-drive starts just under $62,000 (before taxes and destination fees). The difference of roughly $30,000 could buy you a second car, if needed. However, the pessimist in me is thinking that amount of money wouldn’t even put a dent in a down payment for a house in today’s market; so, the opportunist (or big-spender) in me says, “What the heck — go extremely big or go home!”

When I picked it up, a guy said I’d be surprised how many moms buy this vehicle just to do school drop-offs. Though he may have been trying to sell me on this vehicle, I do follow one Insta-mom who absolutely loves the Yukon, even going as far as saying it’s her dream car.

Am I still intimidated by this larger-than-life SUV? Yes. Do I want to test the Yukon XL? Absolutely. It’s got way more trunk space and seats up to nine — we may as well be driving a school bus!

quote:

GMC isn’t a luxury brand,

quote:

If you’re just looking for size, the base trim with four-wheel-drive starts just under $62,000

quote:

If you really want to stand out in the crowd, you’ve got to be willing to let go of just over $93,000

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
imagine leaving $80,000 parked on the road over night just sitting there for anybody to gently caress with

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
paying 95,000 to sit in traffic 10+ hours a week

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

he was in the vehicle so prob not a good idea

edit: looked up the model and lol

belt line almost covering the eyes is such a good look

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol theres far more cars out now than pre-pandemic at all hours of the day. and also everyone is significantly dumber

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

quote:

I’m short, and can just barely see over the steering wheel; and it’s so tall (1,943 mm) that the only people I can actually see are the truck drivers driving on the highway beside me.

lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

With merely the minimum amount of irony to avoid this post being read in court, I hope the person who wrote this dies.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Nitevision posted:

With merely the minimum amount of irony to avoid this post being read in court, I hope the person who wrote this dies.

“how many levels of irony are you on?”

“please allow me to consult with my attorney before responding”

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

getting around on an ebike whips

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
ebikes are cool even if I pedal faster than them :colbert:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nitevision posted:

Preferably in a way that harms no one else and also turns her vehicular monstrosity into a mangled conglomeration of metal and plastic.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sphyre posted:

getting around on an ebike whips

babby's first moped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

that episode of the simpsons where homer buys an suv and everybody makes fun of him because hebought the girl versionb