Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

It's pretty brawly but I don't think it's Broly. :downs:

Some people online were saying to hold on to legendary items as they may change it to give more stuff later if they determine that some more things need to be compensated for in the appraisal / compensation process, but I have no idea if that's just something someone made up. All I know is that the new system is pretty confusing at first and having to go and buy the things to slot it seems cumbersome, but it's a lot more fire and forget than the old LI system. I have no idea why they didn't just keep the old system and take off the level cap on items. At least this one makes more sense from a lore perspective than "look at all these priceless weapons that man does not have the skill to make in the third age let me throw it in this buzz saw for scraps"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The reason they did it this way rather than tweaking the old system is that they finally added a real catchup mechanic - every time you hit a new level and reforge your weapon all your legacies get upgraded to a minimum threshold (right now it's i400 at level 130), so you'll never be too far behind in DPS even if you don't do any grinding. Well, as long as you remember to reforge, which I'm sure people will forget to do.

The other thing they did is get rid of the circa-2000 sweaty mmo raider mechanic of allowing weapon swapping in combat, which meant that serious raiders had to make (at least) two LIs for every slot.

Those two things combined make the changes good IMO. Also it looks like most classes got a decent DPS increase in the process so maybe it will make the Mordor speedbump less of a problem.

We'll have to wait until Gundabad to see how they'll screw it up. My money right now is on people gatekeeping based on whether you have gold vs teal legacies and the gold ones requiring RMT to acquire, but as a solo player I'm fine sticking with teals.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Oh, and one thing that was a stumbling block for me: the system won't let you have both old and new LIs equipped at once. If your new LI has a red border around it and it won't let you equip, you need to unequip all your old LIs first.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

dreffen posted:

So how brawly is the brawler?

Undercooked. You have three openers but only one is worth using, there's no speed buff and you only have one minor ranged ability (which admittedly looks hilarious, you toss tankards and shoes) which means any monster that runs is a big issue, and there's very little self-sustain heals. Right now it's probably the weakest DPS class in the game.

Bear in mine Beornings absolutely sucked when they were first introduced and now they're monsters, so this is about par for the course for SSG.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
As far as the new LI system goes:

- it is so undocumented it's insane. There are tons of gotchas and things most players won't know (how to get new LIs, when to reforge, using the correct tier of runes so you don't waste high level tiers ranking up low tiers) that will create a *lot* of hate.

- it's a *huge* power boost. I had a shelved champion in Minas Morgul that couldn't really survive some encounters; with new LIs he absolutely melts faces. Seems to be the same up and down the level spectrum. For the non-poopsock-raider crowd (who utterly hate the new system) it's huge. The Mordor difficulty bump is almost certainly gone now.

- it's a good thing your old LIs will probably help you build completely new ones because the itemization of new LI rewards is rushed and horrible. You still get IXP for old LIs (which is completely useless, even if you still have old LIs equipped they're frozen now) and every so often you might get a random tracery, the vast majority of which are good only for disenchanting. Probably have to get into raids to get decent drops, which means people levelling up normally with the new system are completely screwed. At least they get baseline DPS from reforging!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Lum_ posted:

Undercooked. You have three openers but only one is worth using, there's no speed buff and you only have one minor ranged ability (which admittedly looks hilarious, you toss tankards and shoes) which means any monster that runs is a big issue, and there's very little self-sustain heals. Right now it's probably the weakest DPS class in the game.

Bear in mine Beornings absolutely sucked when they were first introduced and now they're monsters, so this is about par for the course for SSG.

That's fair. The ranged ability does sound hilarious, though even with that I'm still gonna have to wait till it becomes unlockable with LP to try it as I bought Endwalker for myself already. How long does it take for classes to go purchasable with LP anyway? By the time I'd started playing again Beorning was already buyable with LP.

It's nice messing around in the game again - rolled up a Captain because I'd always wanted to play one and it sounds like they're incredibly tanky now which is great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If Gundabad is a bad expansion I am proposing Feels Gundabad for thread title because I am an insufferable idiot.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
I've dabbled in MMOs in the past (WOW, GW2 and FF14) but never tried LOTRO before but my interest is piqued after having gotten wind of the 'Get Ready' promo that is still ongoing. Especially since I'm a big fan of LOTR (having read the novels and watched the original trilogy and the Hobbit).

So far, I've done the following:

1) Applied the 'Get Ready' code to my account
2) Purchased USD 15.00 of tolkiens and spent about 800 tolkiens to unlock the 99 LP expansion quest/instance packs on offer.
3) Bought the Samwise Gamgee starter pack from Amazon
4) Created 5 different characters

Any idea what I should do next or anything crucial which I have missed out?

I will probably spend another USD 15.00 to get a month of VIP sub but I'm not sure if I can do it now or wait till I've levelled all my characters to lvl 20 at least.

I've also rolled a hobbit minstrel but he seemed really weak, I have no idea what skills I should be using as it throw a bunch at you at once unlike other MMOs I've tried when you get introduced to a new skill once every few levels.

Thanks!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

shoc77 posted:

Any idea what I should do next or anything crucial which I have missed out?

Buy the premium wallet upgrade from the store with LP, it’s 100% worth it for all the bag space it frees up.

Other than that it looks like you’re pretty set for now?

Minstrel takes some getting used to, the early levels are rough but IME it gets easier once you hit level 20 or thereabouts.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 15, 2021

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lum_ posted:

I really love the aesthetic but... yeah, this is about right. I really want to play one, but I also decided to make a Guardian at about the same time because brawlers just aren't very good right now. (Which, from what I hear, is not a large step up in quality.) Haven't decided if I'll stick with it, but probably will since I'm a slow leveler and it works OK for landscape.

Late edit: And apparently I have two of the 105 Valar items? Must have been from some previous expansion, but at least it means if I still don't think brawler is in a good state by then by then I can instalevel something else.

Where DID I get those Valars? I know I didn't buy them specifically.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 16, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I started a Captain today because I like shouting and self-healing (so it's between this and Minstrel). At first I assumed the herald was purely a mobile buff, then I realized he was set to passive by default. Toggled aggro mode and the dude took off to fistfight every mosquito in sight, doing more damage than I expected.

I'm sure things even out as you level since I hear Captain's DPS isn't great, but for now things are dropping before I can use all my attacks.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I'm sure things even out as you level since I hear Captain's DPS isn't great, but for now things are dropping before I can use all my attacks.

Well, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I haven't tried endgame level content with one, though, so there things might be much worse.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Are you guys on the Landroval server by any chance?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Are you guys on the Landroval server by any chance?

The first post in the thread remains accurate (if outdated on the state of content released)

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Bertbert, my new Lore Master, could use an invite to Nazgun if possible.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lum_ posted:

New patch is up - if you pre-ordered Gundabad you can make a brawler now. Fear the mighty hobbit Punchin McFists, coming to punch orcs in the face near you.

Also, your legendaries are broken now. Here's a good quick guide on the new system.

https://easilyamused.notion.site/New-Legendary-Item-System-U30-3-e8f26cdd1d8e45efad82d75d39d40062

Thanks for posting updates in here, I've been away from the forums a good while this thread excluded, and I'm not thrilled about the brawler. I'll probably buy Gundabad this week, but agree with what you've posted. We should be glad it's a weak gimmick class and not a champion-killer at least.

After learning everything there was to know about the LI system, having LIs so old they had natural 7? 8? legacy counts on them on ID, having...5? perfect first age 100s....this new system is trash. Most the employees don't understand it. The UI is ugly. A button for real money on every inch up and down.

Really hoping they can delay Gundabad to the end of their range they gave and put a real fitting UI for this new system. And put up a real, coherent guide before the full release day.

On a positive note: Gundabad is a cool looking region and there will be new content in the game!

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Bertbert, my new Lore Master, could use an invite to Nazgun if possible.

Sure thing, if I don't see you on just let me know a time/time zone to catch you online

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

After learning everything there was to know about the LI system, having LIs so old they had natural 7? 8? legacy counts on them on ID, having...5? perfect first age 100s....this new system is trash. Most the employees don't understand it. The UI is ugly. A button for real money on every inch up and down.

After recently seeing what happened to MMOs like Rift and Aion, I really hope Lotro doesn't end up in the same ultra nickle-and-dime hell (though Aion always had lots of issues).

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

I really hope Lotro doesn't end up in the same ultra nickle-and-dime hell

I hate to tell you this but you're about a decade too late with that concern

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Not sure if anyone has said this yet but don't throw away Legendary XP items because apparently they're going to use them for a battlepass system or something. Because, yes, they still drop in hobbit presents :rolleyes:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Cutedge posted:

Because, yes, they still drop in hobbit presents :rolleyes:

And quest rewards. And item drops. It looks like the only thing removed were the actual original LIs.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Cutedge posted:

apparently they're going to use them for a battlepass system or something

ughhhhhhhhhhh

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I gave up my brawler. poo poo just don't work good. Maybe someday.

I could use an invite for my Hunter, Meluidal, when I can catch people on.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
As I'm trying out all the classes, I'm finally discovering my MMO Goldilocks Zone.

To kill an equal-level enemy, I don't want to press fewer than 4 buttons or more than 6. Having a set rotation for every single enemy is too repetitive. I don't want to use abilities that only mark/debuff a target, or that only apply a short-term buff to myself. Abilities that become available after a block/parry/etc. are fun, but when too many pop up at once I freeze. Pets are fine unless they take up too much of the screen or stand directly in front of something I'm trying to interact with.

What I'm saying is that I'm a picky idiot. My plan is to get the classes that interest me up to around level 20, subscribe to unlock VIP stuff + mounts, then see how they play in the 20s.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

As I'm trying out all the classes, I'm finally discovering my MMO Goldilocks Zone.

To kill an equal-level enemy, I don't want to press fewer than 4 buttons or more than 6. Having a set rotation for every single enemy is too repetitive. I don't want to use abilities that only mark/debuff a target, or that only apply a short-term buff to myself. Abilities that become available after a block/parry/etc. are fun, but when too many pop up at once I freeze. Pets are fine unless they take up too much of the screen or stand directly in front of something I'm trying to interact with.

What I'm saying is that I'm a picky idiot. My plan is to get the classes that interest me up to around level 20, subscribe to unlock VIP stuff + mounts, then see how they play in the 20s.

Never play Warden.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

So Hunter, Champion, and maybe Loremaster? I don't remember how demanding of your PC's personal space the bear is.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
If you don’t like debuffs don’t play a loremaster. The bird doesn’t get in the way of much but I used to get annoyed by the big bog boy.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

God drat leveling on Treebeard is slow.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

He is an ent, afterall.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Don't be hasty...

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Very true. It's not all that bad now that I'm used to it, but it's definitely a contrast between lotro now and what it used to feel like.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

I just love running on Deadly and actually having to pay attention to the game. It's still not elite trees in the Old Forest bad as live was at launch, but it makes the game a lot more interesting imho

Are other goons playing on Treebeard? As in, do we have a kin there? I have characters I've been playing there with a friend of mine from time to time, but when I feel like playing on my own I don't know if I should go back to my OG captain on landroval or do something on Treebeard

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 25, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Cutedge posted:

I just love running on Deadly and actually having to pay attention to the game. It's still not elite trees in the Old Forest bad as live was at launch, but it makes the game a lot more interesting imho

Are other goons playing on Treebeard? As in, do we have a kin there? I have characters I've been playing there with a friend of mine from time to time, but when I feel like playing on my own I don't know if I should go back to my OG captain on landroval or do something on Treebeard

I think I'm definitely committed to playing there because it's cool to have a reset - I think I'm worried about longevity though there aren't a ton of people sometimes, though it seems about on par with Landroval on a good day?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cutedge posted:

Old Forest was still an elite-filled hell even when Moria and Mirkwood came out, since I remember 2-manning with a friend and we thought we'd run some OF quests only to get savagely murdered.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Looks like tomorrow's patch is finally nerfing Warg Pens, which was by far the most popular way to powerlevel characters.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The world designer Scenario has now done a tour of the new Gundabad areas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BO4-dNq_d8. If you want a shorter taste of things this channel has 5-10 minute tours of each of the zones in the expansion as well.

Say what you want about the gameplay but LOTRO's landscape design is still outstanding.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8103830

2 of the 3-man instances are being delayed slightly and the reward track for legendary items (season pass or whatever) is delayed to update 31. Expansion still to launch on wednesday.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Gundabad is here tomorrow, no instances ready at launch and a very confusing LI rehaul. Wish I heard of it or posted sooner but I've been away: People are saying the level 131 'traceries' at the mote vendors (Boar fountain in Bree, left of Gloin at the Three Peaks mission center etc.) are going to go up in ember costs by 10-12x tomorrow once the servers go down for the update.

Embers will remain, though I wonder which items they'll have real upgrades for just from a rep gated NPC in Gundabad. Something though. So ember any gear you don't absolutely need to level to 140 tonight or early tomorrow morning, and maybe buy the 131 purple and yellow traceries with them if you read this in the next few hours. If not, hoarding embers is usually a good strat.

Also I haven't been on enough to do invites, added a couple of you to friends. Post here or message Grodhir in game if you still need a kin invite

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So I accidentally clicked on this ancient bookmark and now I'm kinda getting the hankering to pick this game back up.

The last time I played was probably 2015-ish (based on what the old previous last read comment was) and I think I petered out right around after getting my main out of Lotharian.

What's the status these days? Are there still huge chunks of content that you can't do without a raiding group (which kneecaps older quests that people don't do any more)?

How's the health of the game? Worth giving it another go? Any major changes to how it works/plays/etc?

I will note that i'm laughing because the first unread post in 2015 when I accidentally clicked that bookmark was extra stout, and they're also the last post here, 6 years into the future.

edit: I'd probably just re-roll a new character, what's the hotness for a fun, tanky class these days? I was a warrior before, no objection to doing it again, I groove on hitting poo poo with swords more than casting magic missile at the darkness.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

I've only played til 40 or so, but Beornings are very tanky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't consider playing it if you have a 4k screen.