Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SpartanIvy posted:

Well at this point we're not even sure there actually is a leak, and if there is it's very minor and I'm not in danger of exploding. We're keeping the gas off most of the time while we investigate.

The initial cause of concern was after the gas was left off at the meter while while I worked, the stove had no pressure when we turned a knob on after 3-4 hours. I was working past a closed valve so my working shouldn't have depressurized the line. We've been repeating the test today with better results and if there is a leak it's very very very small because we just had the meter off for 3.5 hours and the line was still pressurized when we opened a valve. We cut the valves to the stove and water heater for the last test so it might be an issue with one of the flex cables on them.

I have a pressure test meter but it's not accurate enough for sub PSI pressures, and I don't have the right fitting to hook my manometer up to the house line yet. That's the next step to see if we get any drop over time with the appliances cut off.

E: this is probably a repeat of February where I thought I had a tiny water leak but it's actually a faulty gauge or temperature changes, or something similar.

You can bubble test anywhere along the line that you might suspect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

armorer posted:

You can bubble test anywhere along the line that you might suspect?

Yeah, I'm on crawl space so other than the 90 degree fittings in the wall for some room outlets(old house feature), I can get to every fitting and piece of pipe. The pipe that runs to the attic isn't even in a wall, just behind my water heater.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ErikTheRed posted:

We're looking at adding AC to our house and have gotten one quote so far. It was for a ducted system, with the air handler going in our attic. The house is ~2000 sqft and was built in the 30's so there's just radiators for heat and no existing duct work. They quoted us $25k and the only extra cost may be adding a sub panel onto our main breaker.

Does this seem reasonable? It's my first time having a major project like this done. We're in Cleveland, OH if that makes a difference.

We've got another HVAC company coming later this month to give an estimate/quote.

Is it a single story or two story house? Running duct work from an attic down to a first story could get trick and complicated, if it's a single story and you can do all the runs in the attic, that's not as big of a deal. As a fellow radiator haver, take a look at a minisplit system as well. Those same HVAC companies might even do those so ask them about that option. Though without knowing your house, maybe it would be pretty simple to run ducting to all the rooms as is, rather than running linesets on the exterior and placing a head unit in nearly every room.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is it a single story or two story house? Running duct work from an attic down to a first story could get trick and complicated, if it's a single story and you can do all the runs in the attic, that's not as big of a deal. As a fellow radiator haver, take a look at a minisplit system as well. Those same HVAC companies might even do those so ask them about that option. Though without knowing your house, maybe it would be pretty simple to run ducting to all the rooms as is, rather than running linesets on the exterior and placing a head unit in nearly every room.

It's a two story with a finished attic (which has a full bath and bedroom, so closer to a 3 story I guess). They did a pretty thorough estimate/inspection and seemed to think they'd be able to run ductwork to the first floor through closets without too much trouble. We've got 4 bedrooms (including the one on the third floor/attic) to cool in addition to the first floor. We asked about minisplits but the project manager was in favor of doing a traditional ducted system because there was room in the attic and the layout of the house was amenable to it.

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001

ErikTheRed posted:

It's a two story with a finished attic (which has a full bath and bedroom, so closer to a 3 story I guess). They did a pretty thorough estimate/inspection and seemed to think they'd be able to run ductwork to the first floor through closets without too much trouble. We've got 4 bedrooms (including the one on the third floor/attic) to cool in addition to the first floor. We asked about minisplits but the project manager was in favor of doing a traditional ducted system because there was room in the attic and the layout of the house was amenable to it.

Are they doing a Unico system? I just had one replaced while keeping the existing ductwork. 2000 sq foot, 2 story house, built in 1929. 3 ton system. Replacement cost was $8000. I had other quotes for 12k and 15k. They also added a duct from the attic to the first floor (through a closet). They were charging $500 per duct.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

MrChrome posted:

Are they doing a Unico system? I just had one replaced while keeping the existing ductwork. 2000 sq foot, 2 story house, built in 1929. 3 ton system. Replacement cost was $8000. I had other quotes for 12k and 15k. They also added a duct from the attic to the first floor (through a closet). They were charging $500 per duct.

Not Unico, this was for a standard ducted setup. We don't have any existing ductwork, the house only has steam radiators for heat and window units for cooling.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Good news on my small gas leak. I got the fittings I needed last night and hooked up my manometer to the outlet this morning and took a standing pressure reading and then cut the meter valve and did various experiments by turning various interior appliance valves on and off and recording pressure readings every few minutes.

Narrowed down the problem to somewhere after the water heater cutoff valve. Probably the flex line. The plumber that installed it did a really sloppy job and it's not the first issue I've had with it so I'm going to redo all the fittings this time and install a new flex line.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vent incoming, because "contractors lie" is one word.

I shitcanned my GC today after coming home and seeing this comedy of errors out of him and his subcontractors:

This is new. All of this is installed, from bare studs, over the last two weeks. (I have been ill, and then out of town, and then under the weather from a COVID booster, so I have not been watching what these idiots have gotten up to as closely as I should have.)

The previous drywall was 3/4"; he had his (new--I found out yesterday, a month into this boondoggle, that the crew that had done well on the first project I had them do outright quit on him for trying to lowball them on jobs) drywall guy hang 1/2", leaving the window cases proud of the drywall. He dismissed my concerns, saying "we can do a fill on the trim, you won't even notice!". I'm used to dealing with my guys, from when I owned a property management company, and like an idiot I just let this guy and his subs do the thing.

So there you can see the results, and it's like a fractally wrong thing. Setting aside that that fill makes the trim 1" when the door immediately to the left (or its own window bottom) is 3/4"? The fill is 1/4" plywood, edge-out, so it doesn't take paint the same way. And--sanding? Puttying? Making sure that the top of the post-and-lintel trim lines up with the sill? What are these silly questions? Surely this glop of paint will hide all our sins!

Oh, and the wall. The wall. That wall is the feature wall in the living room, where his painter, for reasons I shall never in my life understand, ignored the can of paint sitting right next to the wall in question and took the semigloss paint out of the bathroom and slathered it on the living room wall. Then he painted the bathroom with the flat off-white from the hallway outside it. Why? I don't know. I don't have any loving idea. Maybe semigloss accent walls are the in thing. I don't know.

Also all of this was supposed to be done October 28th. It is--checking my calendar, carry the two--not the 28th. Like an idiot (again, overloaded, not an excuse but true all the same) I let the "I will fix, I promise" assurances go by without sufficiently challenging them, and now I've got this horseshit on my hands. I should've been watching them more closely--but, holy poo poo, how can you be this bad at the job? I am a computer toucher who fondles trees in my spare time and this stuff is Obviously Wrong, how the hell?

So that GC is gone, and he had the minimally good sense to not even ask about the back half project fee that he's absolutely not going to see, and I have this sinking feeling I'm going to have to fix this entire thing myself unless a contractor I actually trust somehow has a free week over the winter. And while I think I can handle trim after I rip this entire mess out I am absolutely mystified by drywall. Eep.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 10, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

tracecomplete posted:

I shitcanned my GC today after coming home and seeing this comedy of errors out of him and his subcontractors:

This is new. All of this is installed, from bare studs, over the last two weeks. (I have been ill, and then out of town, and then under the weather from a COVID booster, so I have not been watching what these idiots have gotten up to as closely as I should have.)

The previous drywall was 3/4"; he had his (new--I found out yesterday, a month into this boondoggle, that the crew that had done well on the first project I had them do outright quit on him for trying to lowball them on jobs) drywall guy hang 1/2", leaving the window cases proud of the drywall. He dismissed my concerns, saying "we can do a fill on the trim, you won't even notice!". I'm used to dealing with my guys, from when I owned a property management company, and like an idiot I just let this guy and his subs do the thing.

So there you can see the results, and it's like a fractally wrong thing. Setting aside that that fill makes the trim 1" when the door immediately to the left (or its own window bottom) is 3/4"? The fill is 1/4" plywood, edge-out, so it doesn't take paint the same way. And--sanding? Puttying? Making sure that the top of the post-and-lintel trim lines up with the sill? What are these silly questions? Surely this glop of paint will hide all our sins!

Oh, and the wall. The wall. That wall is the feature wall in the living room, where his painter, for reasons I shall never in my life understand, ignored the can of paint sitting right next to the wall in question and took the semigloss paint out of the bathroom and slathered it on the living room wall. Then he painted the bathroom with the flat off-white from the hallway outside it. Why? I don't know. I don't have any loving idea. Maybe semigloss accent walls are the in thing. I don't know.

Also all of this was supposed to be done October 28th. It is--checking my calendar, carry the two--not the 28th. Like an idiot (again, overloaded, not an excuse but true all the same) I let the "I will fix, I promise" assurances go by without sufficiently challenging them, and now I've got this horseshit on my hands. I should've been watching them more closely--but, holy poo poo, how can you be this bad at the job? I am a computer toucher who fondles trees in my spare time and this stuff is Obviously Wrong, how the hell?

So that GC is gone, and he had the minimally good sense to not even ask about the back half project fee that he's absolutely not going to see, and I have this sinking feeling I'm going to have to fix this entire thing myself unless a contractor I actually trust somehow has a free week over the winter. And while I think I can handle trim after I rip this entire mess out I am absolutely mystified by drywall. Eep.

That looks like something I would do if I had to do a job like that by myself and tried to figure it out as I went along. It sucks

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigFactory posted:

That looks like something I would do if I had to do a job like that by myself and tried to figure it out as I went along. It sucks

Yeah. I've literally never done drywall and trim and I am pretty sure I could do better than that with like, an afternoon of reading this and other threads and some youtube vids.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
His subs were drunk and/or high, hth.

That is incredibly bad, but I am shocked he didn't ask for the rest of his fee anyway.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

NomNomNom posted:

His subs were drunk and/or high, hth.

That is incredibly bad, but I am shocked he didn't ask for the rest of his fee anyway.

Didn't think of the drunk/high option but I wouldn't be surprised. His carpenter did an okay-not-great job on things like the baseboards (mitered corners are clean, scarf joints on long pieces), I don't think it was his idea to YOLO in fills like that. Carpenter was complaining about the boss so maybe I'll hire him directly when I need a guy next time.

A friend pointed out that I might be able to escape with minimal pain in the rear end by trimming down the window case with an oscillating saw. Which would be...fun. But distinctly less fun than learning to do drywall and plaster in haste, because LOL at the idea of finding a new contractor right now.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 10, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've had someone working on my laundry room for a month and a half. Every other thing is me having to reexplain something or asking why something is the way it is.

This might be the only time that I pay someone to do stuff I can do myself. I'd already be done.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

re: window diy
nah it'll be fine go for it

re: laundry room
tellem to bugger off

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just got another layer of insulation added to my attic and a new trap door that isn't falling apart installed, but I kind of want to get a zip seal for the trapdoor because the HVAC guys recommended it. Does anybody have a particular brand to recommend? Most of my searches are giving me reviews from people who sell trapdoor covers.

(The hatch is also about 25.5" by 54", where most of the covers I see on sale are 25 by 54; not sure how big a problem that's going to be.)

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Any thoughts on this? The pool deck drain empties on either side of the deck, but only this side is a problem. On this side, the landscaper put in the black drain which empties way out in the yard. But with this gap, the pool deck drain doesn't quite make it. And I am convinced that the water is seeping under my deck, and one day the whole thing will just cave in, bringing the house with it, and I'll end up homeless.

Also, I friggin' hate irrigation, drainage, gutters, etc. Can't get anyone out to look at our gutter downspouts that I've been bitching about for months.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

(The hatch is also about 25.5" by 54", where most of the covers I see on sale are 25 by 54; not sure how big a problem that's going to be.)

About .5"

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Sous Videodrome posted:

I'm trying to troubleshoot an underfloor heating system. This is the first time I've tried to run it since I installed it.

Good news! I got it working.

Looks like one of the three mats was damaged during the installation process. But the other two work!

It's been running for an hour with no trips.

There's a very slight chance that it might be residual moisture in the self leveling concrete getting to it. So I'll try hooking it up again at the end of winter/next summer and see if it still trips. But 2/3 mats probably gets me 3/4 of the heat, because one of them was way smaller than the others and I think it's the one that's tripping the GFCI.

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 13, 2021

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Motronic posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Sealing-Tuf-Tite-Polylok-Septic-16/dp/B01IRM64UW

This. And do it ASAP. Groundwater ingress will saturate your field.

Dredging this up again because I ended up using tuck tape and it worked fine with no issues in the house that we could notice. I guess the seal wasn't 100% perfect but whatever.

So for a long-term solution, I need some sort of gasket around the rim or attached to the underside of the lid. Is this butyl sealing rope going to glue the lid to the riser or is it more like a super strong peel & stick weather stripping? I don't want to make issues for when it needs to be pumped.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This house had an outrageous amount of rock beds when we moved in. I’ve been slowly working on digging out the rock garbage, filling with topsoil, then sodding over. Somewhere in there I usually throw in a barrier along the new contour.

Now that the front is done, I’m doing the same to the back. I’ll sod this in in the spring.

The branch manager made sure I took appropriate rest breaks.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 13, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just another posted:

Dredging this up again because I ended up using tuck tape and it worked fine with no issues in the house that we could notice. I guess the seal wasn't 100% perfect but whatever.

So for a long-term solution, I need some sort of gasket around the rim or attached to the underside of the lid. Is this butyl sealing rope going to glue the lid to the riser or is it more like a super strong peel & stick weather stripping? I don't want to make issues for when it needs to be pumped.

Butyl rope is more "sticky clay" than it is "3M VHB". You'll be fine, and it's gonna likely not need to be re-applied in 3-5 years when you take the lid off to pump it. It will stay pliable enough to toss the lid right back down and seal unless it gets real dirty during the process.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

devmd01 posted:

This house had an outrageous amount of rock beds when we moved in. I’ve been slowly working on digging out the rock garbage, filling with topsoil, then sodding over. Somewhere in there I usually throw in a barrier along the new contour.

Now that the front is done, I’m doing the same to the back. I’ll sod this in in the spring.

That's a very good dog.

(also, nice job there or whatever you were doing)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

devmd01 posted:

:hmmyes:

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Motronic posted:

Butyl rope is more "sticky clay" than it is "3M VHB". You'll be fine, and it's gonna likely not need to be re-applied in 3-5 years when you take the lid off to pump it. It will stay pliable enough to toss the lid right back down and seal unless it gets real dirty during the process.

Awesome, thank you.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sous Videodrome posted:

Looks like one of the three mats was damaged during the installation process. But the other two work!

There's a very slight chance that it might be residual moisture in the self leveling concrete getting to it. So I'll try hooking it up again at the end of winter/next summer and see if it still trips. But 2/3 mats probably gets me 3/4 of the heat, because one of them was way smaller than the others and I think it's the one that's tripping the GFCI.

Grats on the toasty feet

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Sous Videodrome posted:

Now peel that plastic off.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
So I bought a non-electronic toilet buttsprayer, and only after I got it, I realized I can't install it according to the instructions (or at all without extra parts). The one I got, as well as the ones I've previously installed, specifically say to attach the T onto the toilet rather the shutoff valve on the wall. Thing is, all the toilets in this place have the hose just run inside of the toilet tank rather than connect to something on the outside. They also use the same size hose/threads as what came with the bidet (3/8?) from what I could find. Am I going to gently caress something up if I buy one of these and attach it where the hose currently connects to the valve on the wall? I assume there's some reason all the instructions say that.

Toilet is labeled Delta RP75019WH on the inside of the tank."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

tracecomplete posted:

OP, I saw this a couple days ago and forgot to wrap back.

I feel for you. I had a similar experience with a contractor doing poo poo-tier work in my house and ended up similarly firing him. Still didn't change the fact that I had to UNdo what he did and then DO the job that I contracted out because I needed some extra help. It made me swear off contractors entirely. If it's a job in your house, for the workers it's a JOB and for you it's your HOUSE. Two entirely different mindsets that won't come together well without the right contractor (that I cannot find).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

So I bought a non-electronic toilet buttsprayer, and only after I got it, I realized I can't install it according to the instructions (or at all without extra parts). The one I got, as well as the ones I've previously installed, specifically say to attach the T onto the toilet rather the shutoff valve on the wall. Thing is, all the toilets in this place have the hose just run inside of the toilet tank rather than connect to something on the outside. They also use the same size hose/threads as what came with the bidet (3/8?) from what I could find. Am I going to gently caress something up if I buy one of these and attach it where the hose currently connects to the valve on the wall? I assume there's some reason all the instructions say that.

What is your butt sprayer labeled?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sous Videodrome posted:

Congratulations! As Motronic said label that problem one if you're going to try it again in the future.

Post pealed plastic picture or else. :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

What is your butt sprayer labeled?

The one I just got is https://www.homedepot.com/p/bioBidet-Slim-Edge-Non-Electric-Bidet-Attachment-System-in-White-SlimEdge/305980237 The install instructions are fundamentally the same as this one that other than not having a plug https://alphabidet.com/products/alpha-ix-hybrid-bidet-seat

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

I am having a really difficult time imagining your water intake joint. It's inside the tank?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

meatpimp posted:

OP, I saw this a couple days ago and forgot to wrap back.

I feel for you. I had a similar experience with a contractor doing poo poo-tier work in my house and ended up similarly firing him. Still didn't change the fact that I had to UNdo what he did and then DO the job that I contracted out because I needed some extra help. It made me swear off contractors entirely. If it's a job in your house, for the workers it's a JOB and for you it's your HOUSE. Two entirely different mindsets that won't come together well without the right contractor (that I cannot find).

Yeah, it's this. Like nothing they did is something I can't do. Drywall is new but not impossible. But I absolutely don't have time to learn it. But now I'm probably going to have to.

I'm considering seeing if I can claw back the money. Total job not that expensive, but half up front and I'm going to spend at least as much as I paid him in undoing and redoing the work. But I'm also just happy to see the back of that dipshit.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This weekends project was redoing the final few feet of gas pipe to my water heater since the ~master plumber~ that did it a year ago did it so poorly it was leaking slightly. I discovered all the pipe and fittings were really only slightly more than hand tightened.

Because I lack a customer side cutoff to my gas meter I can only pressure test up to 12 inches of water column before the regulator dumps the excess pressure, but it held at that pressure for an hour with no loss at all. :woop:

That test included the flex lines which I capped after disconnecting them from appliances so I'm pretty dang happy about that result.

I just finished a final test at my houses normal 8" w.c. with all the appliances hooked up and it held pressure with the meter cut off for an hour without a dip.

Feeling pretty good about my houses gas plumbing now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

cruft posted:

I am having a really difficult time imagining your water intake joint. It's inside the tank?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Is there a shut off valve side of this hose somewhere below the tank?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

...huh.

Okay, bear in mind that every time I try to do plumbing, i gently caress something up, so if anyone else chimes in, please feel encouraged to ignore me.

The hoses on a toilet are essentially garden hoses. You ought to be able to put the T joint that came with the bidet between the feed hose you already have and a new feed hose that goes to the wall, or even directly on the wall if it's not in danger of getting kicked off. I think everything's usually the same size and threading.

Turn off the water at the wall. Put a bowl under it to catch water that comes out, and unscrew the feed hose from the wall. When it's drained, screw your T adapter in to the hose to make sure it's the right size. Try to thread it onto the wall side too. If it fits, you might be able to just leave it there. If leaving it there won't work because it's in danger of getting broken off, go to the hardware store with the T adapter and get a short hose to connect wall - new hose - T adapter - old hose - toilet.

If things don't thread, take as much as you can to the hardware store (the local hardware store, not home depot) and make sad eyes at whoever's working near the plumbing section. This has worked 100% of the time for me: I love the neighborhood hardware store.

cruft fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 14, 2021

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Huh. That's actually a little bit genius as it can't leak onto the floor without some kind of secondary failure.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

cruft posted:

The hoses on a toilet are essentially garden hoses. You ought to be able to put the T joint that came with the bidet between the feed hose you already have and a new feed hose that goes to the wall, or even directly on the wall if it's not in danger of getting kicked off. I think everything's usually the same size and threading.

Turn off the water at the wall. Put a bowl under it to catch water that comes out, and unscrew the feed hose from the wall. When it's drained, screw your T adapter in to the hose to make sure it's the right size. Try to thread it onto the wall side too. If it fits, you might be able to just leave it there. If leaving it there won't work because it's in danger of getting broken off, go to the hardware store with the T adapter and get a short hose to connect wall - new hose - T adapter - old hose - toilet.

If things don't thread, take as much as you can to the hardware store (the local hardware store, not home depot) and make sad eyes at whoever's working near the plumbing section. This has worked 100% of the time for me: I love the neighborhood hardware store.

I in fact cannot use the tee that came with it, as the threads on the toilet hose on the wall side are also 3/8 instead of the standard 7/8 or whatever (see the reddit thread I linked for someone who had the exact same discovery). The plan right now is still to buy a 3/8 T, it's just whether there's some reason it shouldn't thread directly to where the hose goes now--I assume the instructions are trying to avoid people loving up their plumbing, but I'm not a plumber so I don't know for sure. Having it just dangling also seems dumb too and do they even sell really short hoses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

H110Hawk posted:

Huh. That's actually a little bit genius as it can't leak onto the floor without some kind of secondary failure.

That's what I was thinking, that's a great design, sort of.