Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but since I don't usually use even close to a whole onion, unless I am making a stew I usually just cut a few slices and chop them up on the board. If you are cutting an onion against the grain, yeah it dices super quick and is more consistent, but how do you use the whole onion? whenever I do it I can only cut about 3/4ths deep or the onion will fall apart, leaving me with a raggedy 1/4th of an onion. It's nbd I can always find some use for it, but I have wondered if people are able to get the whole onion like that.

Cut the onion on two halves, stem to tip. Cut off the tip but leave the stem intact, that’s what’s holding it all together. Make parallel cuts in the direction of stem to tip, leaving the stem and that end intact. Then begin slicing from the tip end, perpendicular to your previous cuts. When you have enough diced onion, put the rest in a zip loc on the fridge til you need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cut the onion on two halves, stem to tip. Cut off the tip but leave the stem intact, that’s what’s holding it all together.
Don't you mean the root end?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Don't you mean the root end?

I don't really know

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This is the point where many people admit to themselves, and possibly to others, that most of their knowledge regarding how common vegetables grow is taken from standing over them and pressing A

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Look, I'm not an onionologist. But slicing your onion to then dice those slices is madness. MADNESS

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I just know you take the dry part off first, and you can take the stringy part off too. Then I cut it ...petalwise?... as thin as I feel like before cutting it the other way to make onion bits. If I'm mincing or dicing, I'm not dealing with machining tolerances or whatever so if I have a bit to cut up seperately I just do that. Another thing you can do is chop it up until it's taller than it is long and from there, just rotate the mostly-chopped onion to sort of re-flatten it. If I wanna get rid of the problem of having a blind knife tip at the back of the onion, I can always pull out something like a nakiri or a CCK cleaver

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah cut in half first, root to tip. 95% of the time I need the whole or half. The other 5% I do the vertical cuts only halfway to the root end, leaving a slightly scraggly half of a half remaining.

Consistent sizing isn't a huge deal, but it's still fun to game it.

If you adopt this "60% radial" method it also helps you adapt to slicing onions where you want them to hold together. Just cut the root off and do the one radial cut, no cross cut :)

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 9, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGS067s0zo

I apologize for posting Ramsay but this is the technique I think is being talked about.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I actually prefer cutting the root end off, and keeping the top intact. I find it easier to control compared to doing the opposite. The onion keeps itself together just as well.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Hot Onion on Knife Action
You won't believe how Alex chops the onion, traditional chefs hate it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqwl2KTzd4

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have always been doing off center radial cuts, I’m not sure why, and it tickles me to find out it was actually a good thing for evenness

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I learned it from some random Chinese recipe I was reading, and realized I'd been cutting like a goddamn moron. Really ups the attractiveness of the shape and cooked texture.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I worked on my knife skills for a long time, but now I've attained galaxy brain level where I simply

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I worked on my knife skills for a long time, but now I've attained galaxy brain level where I simply

How does it feel to live outside of gods light

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

VelociBacon posted:

How does it feel to live outside of gods light

I mean not regarding the onion issue but generally pretty good

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Feels good :getin: Anything where I want such a fine dice, the onions are going to disappear in the cooking, so exact precision doesn't matter

e: or like for tacos where every bite being slightly different is a positive

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 10, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hot dogs?!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

in SECONDS!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i am smelling those electrodogs. i am hearing that crack and sizzle

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I have always been doing off center radial cuts, I’m not sure why, and it tickles me to find out it was actually a good thing for evenness

:same: it just kind of feels right.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Anne Whateley posted:

I have that exact one, Anne! If I'm only chopping like 1 or 2 onions at a time, I'll do it by hand because it's quick enough. However, if I need a fuckoff pile of shallots or those tiny little Indian red onions or something that's in that perfect tiny little dice, I'll use the little choppy thingy. It's rare, but it does happen. Like making thanksgiving dressing. Or for adding to chopped veggie thingies (it's a typical Indian thing to have chopped raw onion, cilantro, lime juice, and tomato as an accompaniment to a meal).

If it's getting cooked, I don't give a crap. I chop it in half vertically, take off both the stem AND the root, chop into half moons (holding them together) and then chop the half moons into little bitty pieces, and then heave it into the pot. It all melts down anyway, and then I'm not fiddling around with that stupid bit by the root to get every last bit of onion out. I found myself spending like half my chopping time doing stupid fiddly poo poo like that, and stopped doing that.

The choppydoo is also great for things like carrots, which I am irrationally annoyed at having to chop into dices. I don't even like carrots all that much (although I'd eat them), and the pain in the rear end they present with their weird inconsistent shapes makes me angry with rage. You're getting roll cut carrots, and you'll like it.

It's also really great for when MY BOYFRIEND comes over, and isn't that great at chopping veggies into consistent pieces. "Here's a stack of sliced poo poo, babe. Throw it through the chopper." "I can do that!" And he does. He doesn't even mind that you have to empty the stupid thing every five seconds.

RE: Tofu chat to bart

It makes a disappointingly small amount when all is said and done, but the taste of the fresh stuff is heads and tails better than the store bought, unless you've got a good Chinese market where they get the stuff in fresh every morning. In NYC, it's Kong Kee on Grand Street between Mott and Elizabeth. They make their own fresh tofu every day, and bring it into the downtown shop, and more or less sell through everything by the evening.

The soy milk will 100% boil over and foam and make a giant mess all over your stove, so don't think that you can walk away. Ask me how I know.

RE: Masses of eggplant for Wiggles

There's this hippie vegetarian lady on the YouTube who was talking about food preservation without canning, because she's trying to keep ~*enzymes and live food*~ at the forefront of her diet. W/e. It was late, and she had calming voice, so I was able to fall asleep to what amounted to "So to do food preservation without canning, you can vacuum seal poo poo in mason jars, dehydrate stuff at low temp, or throw it in the freezer", but spread out over an hour and a half. No srsly.

And people had questions for her during the presentation. What the what? She's literally telling you: freeze it if it's one of these things, dehydrate these things, and the dried goods get stored in jars and vacuum sealed." Like. Let the hippie lady freaking get through her powerpoint.

"So do you have any recipes for what to do with the dehydrated veggies?" IDK, Brenda, maybe search loving google. Dear god. I swear to god, half that video was taken up answering stupid stupid questions. The hippie lady was like, "I'm the wrong person to ask about recipes. I just eyeball stuff. But the internet has a ton of them." Exactly, hippie lady. Tell them to google it.

ANYWAYSSS.

She was saying that she'll take eggplant, slice it up into planks, salt it so it weeps out some of the water, then rinse off the salt and add whatever seasoning you want, like BBQ sauce, and then dehydrate it to make a vegetarian jerky. Said it was mighty tasty. Mind you, she does some ... odd things with the dehydrator in the search for raw food stuff, but this one seemed fairly legit, and will go through a fuckton of the stuff, because it's mostly water.

dino. fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 10, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chard posted:

i am smelling those electrodogs. i am hearing that crack and sizzle

I'll be honest- I grew up with one of these and I like that taste of electrified hot dogs

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I'll be honest- I grew up with one of these and I like that taste of electrified hot dogs

Do you still have it? I've never had the pleasure but I do like a dog at times.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

signalnoise posted:

well dang what are they like then? are the insides somehow crisped? because honestly i'm warming up to the whole concept just for funsies.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The holes where you stick the thing on at either end are not so much crispy, but they are charred from being shocked. You can turn it off at any doneness you feel like, so you can cook it until it's hot without having them burst, and because the ends are charred, the "juices" don't get out of there either. So you are just heating up the dog and the outside gets a little bit "crispy", sort of, not because you cooked the casing to be tight, but because the inside is cooked to a point where the casing stretches a little more. This all depends on your cook time of course.

Also I remember them tasting just a little bit burnt, but like.... in a good way? But that's probably just childhood thinking the neat electrified hot dog iron maiden must be the best way, because it looks loving dangerous, like a kickflip or just sweet like a new nintendo

I should check the kitchen cabinets at my mom's house some time. I bet I could make her day by ridding her of a bunch of poo poo without feeling like she's throwing it away.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 10, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiqOIIPtnvg&t=708s

This is how I learned of the electric hotdog cooker thing.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

She was saying that she'll take eggplant, slice it up into planks, salt it so it weeps out some of the water, then rinse off the salt and add whatever seasoning you want, like BBQ sauce, and then dehydrate it to make a vegetarian jerky.
That sounds pretty good actually.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

dino. posted:

I have that exact one, Anne! If I'm only chopping like 1 or 2 onions at a time, I'll do it by hand because it's quick enough. However, if I need a fuckoff pile of shallots or those tiny little Indian red onions or something that's in that perfect tiny little dice, I'll use the little choppy thingy. It's rare, but it does happen. Like making thanksgiving dressing. Or for adding to chopped veggie thingies (it's a typical Indian thing to have chopped raw onion, cilantro, lime juice, and tomato as an accompaniment to a meal).

If it's getting cooked, I don't give a crap. I chop it in half vertically, take off both the stem AND the root, chop into half moons (holding them together) and then chop the half moons into little bitty pieces, and then heave it into the pot. It all melts down anyway, and then I'm not fiddling around with that stupid bit by the root to get every last bit of onion out. I found myself spending like half my chopping time doing stupid fiddly poo poo like that, and stopped doing that.

The choppydoo is also great for things like carrots, which I am irrationally annoyed at having to chop into dices. I don't even like carrots all that much (although I'd eat them), and the pain in the rear end they present with their weird inconsistent shapes makes me angry with rage. You're getting roll cut carrots, and you'll like it.

It's also really great for when MY BOYFRIEND comes over, and isn't that great at chopping veggies into consistent pieces. "Here's a stack of sliced poo poo, babe. Throw it through the chopper." "I can do that!" And he does. He doesn't even mind that you have to empty the stupid thing every five seconds.
:getin:

For me it really shines for something like pot roast -- I absolutely do the whole mirepoix (plus garlic) that way. In general for soups/stews or smothered pork chops or other slow-cooked stuff, I prefer onion dice that melt away to the half-moons that hang around looking like tapeworms. Can I dice it by hand? Yes but :effort: (and I'm just not pro-level fast)

Also, if you shake it a lil, you can fit three onions in at once

My next post will be about five-bladed herb scissors. Get you some

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

never be ashamed of a kitchen doodad that you actually enjoy and use imho

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ugh I hate the word "weeps" applied to foodstuffs

mystes
May 31, 2006

While My Eggplant Gently Weeps 🍆

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

mystes posted:

While My Eggplant Gently Weeps 🍆

You were perverted, too

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I first learned about the Hot Dogger from The Takeout

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do these things just run full ac power through the electrodes?

That seems like a crazy safety hazard before even thinking about how the hotdogs might turn out

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mystes posted:

Do these things just run full ac power through the electrodes?

That seems like a crazy safety hazard before even thinking about how the hotdogs might turn out

Yes.

As a bonus, wanna bet on how those run on 250v?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Anne Whateley posted:

My next post will be about five-bladed herb scissors. Get you some

I don't know what these are so I'm imagining some kind of non-Euclidean anime scissors

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't know what these are so I'm imagining some kind of non-Euclidean anime scissors
They're just like multiple stacked scissors blades

I had a pair before and they do work but if you get herbs stuck in between the blades they're annoying to clean so I don't think they're move convenient then just chopping the herbs normally (also I'm not sure they're even faster for bigger herbs that you can roll up and chop).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Alton brown is getting a tingling sensation and doesn't know why.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For a fashionably fringed tongue, earlobe, nostril or... well, try them yourself, you'll be amazed at the things you can fringe!