Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Erg posted:

My memory of bosses is getting about 6-8 hits before dying if I was getting some incidental health refills from their trash attacks/counters which seemed right to me

Yeah that's about right.

You know how in Zelda bosses basically have a pattern and you gotta do the pattern usually three times for a total of 8-9 hits?

Well in Metroid you are the boss. They gotta hit you 8 or 9 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zeron posted:

Yeah there were a couple of times in Dread where I felt stonewalled by a boss and couldn't see how I would get through it...and then just took a break for a bit and came back and beat it in one try. It's all just learning patterns, I'm pretty bad at video games but I managed to do it all eventually. The only boss I felt was a bit unbalanced is the final boss maybe has a bit too much health.

:hai: the power of the “gently caress this” break can’t be overstated

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Oxyclean posted:

But they literally sell digital bundles that have both games, at a 1 cent discount.

The bundle isn't a discount, it costs 1 cent more than buying them separate.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oxyclean posted:

But they literally sell digital bundles that have both games, at a 1 cent discount.

Oh, you misunderstand. It's a 1 cent premium

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Huxley posted:

A lot of stuff is that way without us realizing it.

I've always heard that they don't make 16gb, 32gb, 64gb phones. They make 64gb phones then physically limit the memory because it's cheaper to produce one thing and break 2/3 of them than produce three things.

The dark recesses of my mind are bringing something up about later OG Xboxes being manufactured with bigger hard drives than the standard 8GB because it was cheaper/the old drives had stopped production, but they were software locked to not use any of the extra space. The dark recesses are also bringing up Spineshank and Mudvayne as they're filed away in the same spot

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The main thing with Dread's bosses is that you have to remember to dodge. For me, I died a lot because I kept trying to out damage the boss as fast as possible, but if you just take your time and not try and get like five missiles in every phase, you will probably have a much easier time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

The bundle isn't a discount, it costs 1 cent more than buying them separate.

flavor.flv posted:

Oh, you misunderstand. It's a 1 cent premium
:psyduck:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Erg posted:

:hai: the power of the “gently caress this” break can’t be overstated

the best way to guarantee a victory against a boss you're having difficulty with is to complain about it on the internet before giving it another shot. works every time

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My tip for Dread bosses is to complain about bosses you get frustrated with online, then go back and try again. Always works for me. The more over-the-top and whiny the complaining, the better, I find.

(this is not a joke, for some reason--the more embarrassingly mad at video games I get on here, the more certain it is I'll beat that boss as soon as I post and feel like a jackass)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Crazy but imperfect plan, allow everyone on vote on gts to bury crazy asking price pokemon, like if it's -50 it's recinded

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

romanowski posted:

sounds like you gotta get good brother

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

My tip for Dread bosses is to complain about bosses you get frustrated with online, then go back and try again. Always works for me. The more over-the-top and whiny the complaining, the better, I find.

(this is not a joke, for some reason--the more embarrassingly mad at video games I get on here, the more certain it is I'll beat that boss as soon as I post and feel like a jackass)
:same:

I finished Dread and vented about the difficulty, saying I won't bother with hard since It would just make me feel worse.

Then I played hard, inspired to try some sequence breaks and had an overall easier time and came away with a higher opinion of the game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
yeah Dread bosses feel a lot different than other Metroid bosses- less about trading hits in an efficient manner (because it feels like you die in like 8-12 hits usually) and more about learning how to dodge everything reliably

if you aren't using the phase dash thing don't forget about it; totally defuses a lot of the human-sized bosses

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

Dear thread, please don't post like this.

I may've glossed over when it happened but what's the offense here? Just poorly written with likely-inflammatory intent, something to do with the language itself, or some context I'm missing?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Metroid Dread’s bosses feels more like Hollow Knight’s bosses than Fusion or Super Metroid bosses and I think that is hugely to its benefit

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Hammer Bro. posted:

I may've glossed over when it happened but what's the offense here? Just poorly written with likely-inflammatory intent, something to do with the language itself, or some context I'm missing?

Mod went mad with power and didn’t think the joke was funny

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There were two Dread bosses that really frustrated me my first time through, but as soon as I learned how to beat them I found them really fun to fight. It's definitely one of those games that's all about that feeling of mastery, I think, where everything feels super punishing but then as soon as it clicks you feel like a complete badass.

The final boss is maybe one of the best-designed boss fights I've experienced in a while specifically because of how it uses the player's own growing skill and practice at the fight to have a great finish.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hammer Bro. posted:

The post sucked

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

There were two Dread bosses that really frustrated me my first time through, but as soon as I learned how to beat them I found them really fun to fight. It's definitely one of those games that's all about that feeling of mastery, I think, where everything feels super punishing but then as soon as it clicks you feel like a complete badass.

The final boss is maybe one of the best-designed boss fights I've experienced in a while specifically because of how it uses the player's own growing skill and practice at the fight to have a great finish.

the musical crescendo when the final phase is starting... mwah

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

"Hammer Bro. posted:

It was criminally unfunny. A sixer was too nice.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Harrow posted:

This is true, and it works for puzzle games, too. I will instantly notice that I missed something that wasn't even trying to test my brain, like in one of my recentish posts to this thread.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bouillon Rube posted:

How is that a grift? They made two games and put them on the same rom to probably to ease manufacturing

How is charging full price for identical versions of the same game a grift?? Is that your question

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I respect them for it btw. Fortnite grindset.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

isn't the digital bundle just one of the games and a code for the other, presumably to give to someone else in your household or whatever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I totally get that, and I fully expect I'll come at it again tomorrow for another try and finally beat it after venting about it here.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I bought the Pokemon double pack to split with my partner

Also apparently the early Pokemon impressions of it being barebones may be sorted by a pre-release patch: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/youll-really-really-want-to-ensure-your-pokemon-diamondpearl-remakes-are-updated-at-launch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Very strange that people playing a prerelease version of a Game on an emulator would run into weird issues

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
never read the speedscan chapters if you can help it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Oxyclean posted:

But they literally sell digital bundles that have both games, at a 1 cent discount. Like, they could just make "Diamond or Pearl" a selection at startup, but that'd spoil the marketing and ability to sell someone two copies of the same game.

Actually, buying the double pack costs 1 cent *more* than buying them separately.

edit: whoops.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Just in case you missed it oxyclean it's one cent more

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Takoluka posted:

isn't the digital bundle just one of the games and a code for the other, presumably to give to someone else in your household or whatever

Whats the point of selling it as a bundle over just letting/expecting people to buy two copies? Does the eshop not have a way to gift copies or just buy codes?

e: For one cent more!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
FWIW that's always the case, for whatever reason. They did it with Sword and Shield and they did it with the Fire Emblem double pack.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
once ecne tmore

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Managed to get an OLED Switch at Target after only like a day of seriously searching for one, thought that would be way harder.

Is there anything I should know about using it as my secondary Switch on my same Nintendo account? My ex girlfriend has the original one, and my main understanding is that we can't play the same digital game at the same time on the two Switches, is that right? And while the games are owned through my account my understanding is that she should be fine to play anything as long as hers is considered the primary Switch.

Martman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 10, 2021

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The real grift is releasing two different versions in the first place. The double pack for more money grift is a secondary grift to conceal the first grift while still grifting their customers and not leaving a single cent on the table. I’m in awe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It’s not a grift at all though, everyone knows exactly what they’re getting and if they don’t wanna pay for it, they don’t have to. Everyone on Twitter acting like it’s some mega own that they’re selling the same game twice is just chasing fake clout. Sorry to tell you all.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
lmao at people getting mad over two versions of a Pokemon game in 2021. You don't need to buy both. Buying both really kind of goes against the social nature of the franchise anyway. Trading is a gameplay element.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I agree, since the only people getting grifted are pokemon fans, it’s a victimless crime.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s not a grift at all though, everyone knows exactly what they’re getting and if they don’t wanna pay for it, they don’t have to. Everyone on Twitter acting like it’s some mega own that they’re selling the same game twice is just chasing fake clout. Sorry to tell you all.

I mean, no grift is a grift if you know enough about it.

Long ago I asked for "Pokemon Gold OR Silver" for Christmas cause I knew i only needed one. My parents bought me both for some reason. I don't know their exact reason for buying me both, so I won't assume they were tricked, but I don't doubt for a second there are parents or relatives out there buying kids both thinking they might be getting two different things.

Like, under no circumstances do you gotta hand it to capitalism.

Spacebump posted:

lmao at people getting mad over two versions of a Pokemon game in 2021. You don't need to buy both. Buying both really kind of goes against the social nature of the franchise anyway. Trading is a gameplay element.
no-ones gotta buy loot boxes, and yet....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
they should release a third version to “grift” morons and maybe that way they’d have enough money to make games that look good