Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If I were to do a second stab at 5's job-system there would be no Freelancer class, and you'd equip a main job and sub-job to get both abilities. You'd be incentivised to switch jobs as you would cross-class bonuses for leveling them up.

I dunno that I can agree with the idea of no freelancer - I feel like there's value in saying "okay, now the shackles are off, tear the game asunder" at some point.

That said, what you describe is largely how the Bravely series works, which was awesome. Swordmaster/Berserker :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The best implementation of the job system outside of FFV was FFX-2. You equip each character with a Garment Grid that can hold between 2-7 jobs. In battle, you can switch you characters' jobs on the fly, allowing you to adapt to random encounters and boss fights dynamically. Additionally, Garment Grids can have extra passive effects or active commands that become active as you switch jobs during combat.

Also, FFX-2 had the best implementation of the Berserker job, because instead of just always being in permanent Berserk status, it had a bunch of normal skills like every other job, one of which was the option to just flip out and go nuts for the rest of the fight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK it's 9:30am CST on Nov 10th and I still cannot install FF5 what the gently caress

I thought this poo poo came out at midnight

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK it's 9:30am CST on Nov 10th and I still cannot install FF5 what the gently caress

I thought this poo poo came out at midnight

90 minutes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Looks like I can download it right now on iOS.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like I already know the answer is "no," but they haven't started adding controller support to the mobile Pixel Remasters, right?

I'd absolutely love to have these handheld but I really, really would rather not use touch controls.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Thanks

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So you can download it on iOS right now, but it seems you can’t start a new game yet. BUT the music player works, and my god. It is wonderful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they could make FF12 but with FF11’s TP system and skillchains that would be a truly wonderful experience.

Or Chrono Trigger-style tech combos

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

jokes posted:

If they could make FF12 but with FF11’s TP system and skillchains that would be a truly wonderful experience.

More rpgs should steal the double and triple techs from Chrono Trigger, combination attacks are rad

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
As I impatiently await my GMG key for FFV while at work - has anyone played Bravely Default 2? It has "very positive" on steam but steam users will thumbs up basically anything that has a good PC port and reviews are kinda middling

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Ugh, like 5 hours before I can play!

Stupid work.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
What are the top "Most OP/broken party combos" for FF5 ? I haven't played FF 5 before, but I don't mind breezing through it on my first go. I hear Samurai and Time Mages (Chronomancer?) are the tits. Or should I just pick whatever looks fun? (Any jobs to outright avoid?)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DourCricket posted:

As I impatiently await my GMG key for FFV while at work - has anyone played Bravely Default 2? It has "very positive" on steam but steam users will thumbs up basically anything that has a good PC port and reviews are kinda middling

It’s fine. I guess.

Bravely Default 1 was very good, and Bravely Second was mechanically just very impressive and tight (and I liked the Frenchmen from the moon stuff), and I liked the story but didn’t care for most of the parts in the middle.

Bravely Default 2 is a pretty standard JRPG, and it really lost most of its connection to final fantasy but it doesn’t stand well on its own.

It’s fine, though. I guess.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

If I were to do a second stab at 5's job-system there would be no Freelancer class, and you'd equip a main job and sub-job to get both abilities. You'd be incentivised to switch jobs as you would cross-class bonuses for leveling them up.

this is bravely default

and in general it worked pretty good

dont think about the story too hard

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best thing bravely default did was the black mage costumes in BD1 because I had been imagining black mages as Halloween witches for a long time so it fit perfectly

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

jokes posted:

It’s fine, though. I guess.

That sucks - I was a big fan of the first one. I need some more job-system games in my life but I don't really have time anymore for "it's fine"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really loved Bravely Default but for some reason bounced off of both Bravely Second and Bravely Default 2, not really sure exactly why. But I still love the first Bravely Default to this day.

jokes posted:

The best thing bravely default did was the black mage costumes in BD1 because I had been imagining black mages as Halloween witches for a long time so it fit perfectly

I also love the Red Mage costumes in BD1 and I keep wishing we could have some variant of that look in FFXIV.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FFV is not fine, it’s perfect and beautiful and if you look closely you will find that it is the best FF that isn’t FF14

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I thought Bravely Default 2 was fantastic, but yeah the sentiment around here is that it's terrible. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Coffee Jones posted:

A few years later you have comparatively unlimited storage, an ambitious team and suddenly it’s funding that’s the true bottleneck - it’s the Xenogears disc 2 situation

Or Dragon Quest 7 where funding isn't an issue and your game just ends up being insanely long.

multijoe posted:

FF16 is also going for an FF14/Ivalice vibe so Creative Business Unit 3 is carrying that Matsuno torch onwards

Triangle Strategy's demo had noticeable "we love Tactics Ogre" vibes as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely don't think Bravely Default 2 is terrible or even bad, it just didn't click with me for some reason. I should go back and try it again sometime.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

Yesss

I find it very surprising they haven't returned to the skillchain/magic burst concept in a single player game. Or a single player vana'diel game. Square, you cowards, enough with ivalice, I want a gimmicky ninja yagudo party member

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

jiffynuts posted:

What are the top "Most OP/broken party combos" for FF5 ? I haven't played FF 5 before, but I don't mind breezing through it on my first go. I hear Samurai and Time Mages (Chronomancer?) are the tits. Or should I just pick whatever looks fun? (Any jobs to outright avoid?)

Chemist and Samurai are very broken together if you've got money and dragon fangs.

GilToss damage is based on level and a dragon fang + high potion Mix boosts levels by 20 and is repeatable. Even in the mid-teen levels you can cap damage on most bosses after 2-4 Mixes.

Bard could do the same thing eventually but it takes more time to ramp up and you don't get the level song until late in the game

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I made a new player guide for FF5PR

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Tonfa posted:

I mean, it's pretty accurate I have to admit. :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol:

I'll probably wind up maxing everything at some point anyway, I always tend to min-max in FF games eventually.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

I definitely don't think Bravely Default 2 is terrible or even bad, it just didn't click with me for some reason. I should go back and try it again sometime.

Yeah I’m with Harrow here. I wouldn’t say “don’t play it”, it’s fine.

I guess.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Tonfa posted:

I pity anyone that doesn't get the satisfaction of coming to the spellblade/barrage/dual wield conclusion on their own

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has anyone beaten Gogo outside of the intended way?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 10, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

pretty soft girl posted:

I pity anyone that doesn't get the satisfaction of coming to the spellblade/barrage/dual wield conclusion on their own

One day SE will get off their rear end and enable me to be able to two-hand bells

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

jokes posted:

One day SE will get off their rear end and enable me to be able to two-hand bells

Now I'm imagining someone doing the maracas, but bells.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

jokes posted:

FFV is not fine, it’s perfect and beautiful and if you look closely you will find that it is the best FF that isn’t FF14

But FF14 isn't a real Final Fantasy, so doesn't that mean FF5 is actually the best?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can fathom making a 2D pixel game, or a pre-rendered isometric game, but who make a pre-rendered third-person game in this day and age?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DourCricket posted:

But FF14 isn't a real Final Fantasy

:mods:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DourCricket posted:

But FF14 isn't a real Final Fantasy, so doesn't that mean FF5 is actually the best?

I do not know what criteria would cause you to come to such an incorrect conclusion, and I will not cast aspersions on you, my fellow final fantasy poster. But FF14 is, actually, the best Final Fantasy. FF5 is only the best Final Fantasy if you say “non-MMO FF” but to deny that FF14 is a real FF? My friend have you seen how many red feathered hats are in the game? Gunblades? Airships?

Next you’re gonna tell me Type-0 is a mainline final fantasy entry because it’s single player, numbered, and isn’t a spin-off/sequel.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

pretty soft girl posted:

Dissidia might have a dumpster fire story but it also had all kinds of deep cuts like Bartz’s ultimate attack being literally just that.

I still can’t believe they put !Rapid Fire in the game as is, like yeah !Spellblade can poo poo damage if you know elemental weaknesses but them just going “oh you mastered Archer, here, have this attack that does four half damage hits, never misses unless it’s the final boss that has dummy targets (iirc) and pierces defense” because I’m pretty sure most job mastery skills suuuuuuuck even in a vacuum. Not that I’m complaining, don’t get me wrong, just surprised they were willing to walk back knives but not that.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

jokes posted:

My friend have you seen how many red feathered hats are in the game?

This is the only argument with real weight as far as I'm concerned that FF14 is, indeed, a real Final Fantasy.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
Bravely Default 2 is the best BD game simply because it doesn't have the disgusting womanizing of the first game or the astronomical levels of anime cringe that Bravely Second had. I'd put it as a must play for anyone that's a fan of the job system FF games.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of Monk, Summoner, and Thief most High-end Job abilities suck. +10% MP? gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Has anyone beaten Gogo outside of the intended way?

I've beaten Gogo the intended way with quadzerkers :black101:

I stole the Gold Hairpin from him at the same time. Truly the way god intended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl7aqoJheFE