Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mustache Ride posted:

Yay wagons! Nice ride dude, that was going to be my backup if I couldn't find a Jagon. How's the FWD feel?

Considering what we're used to this feels amazing in all respects. The biggest ding is because it's modern I can't hang my arm out the window, otherwise it's fast, quiet, efficient, pretty and comfortable. It's as fast as the 1J-GTE powered Toyota Cresta we had, as well as the revision 3 SW20 3S0GTE MR2 we had, but in a wagon.

Gigi Galli posted:

I’ve been trying to get my wife to trade in our S60 and get a V60 (or 90 :swoon: ) before they start becoming even more expensive. Very nice ride.

Why doesn't your wife want the objectively-better wagon version of your guys' car? :colbert:

Sprocket loves it too because like us, he's old as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

Picked up a new shitbox for work

At least when I come up short on the gamble and have to pull the motor there won't be rust chunks raining down on me.

Its not like you can really break a 7.3 or anything. They don't make enough power for that

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Q_res posted:

That's the engine you want anyway. Newer would be a bad thing in this case.

Yeah, I've only owned 7.3's but I've got to tow with other peoples' trucks from the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 years

cursedshitbox posted:

Its not like you can really break a 7.3 or anything. They don't make enough power for that

True, but you can ignore them getting slower and slower until they become resentful and refuse to work at all

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cursedshitbox posted:

Unfortunately, a honda civic makes more power than a 4R100 can handle.
At least it's not an E4OD, a weed eater can break one of those.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah the 4R100 is a real turd. This truck came with fifth wheel rails in the bed so there's probably a lot of metal on the pan magnet. More metal than usual that is.

I just don't really enjoy the experience of the ZF5/ZF6 in traffic plus finding a manual truck means spending even more on a big shitbox with 20 years of deferred maintenance items to go through. This poor, tired super duty will be a nice incremental upgrade for my poor, tired OBS though.

Pretty stoked on having cupholders and hydroboost

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Considering what we're used to this feels amazing in all respects. The biggest ding is because it's modern I can't hang my arm out the window, otherwise it's fast, quiet, efficient, pretty and comfortable. It's as fast as the 1J-GTE powered Toyota Cresta we had, as well as the revision 3 SW20 3S0GTE MR2 we had, but in a wagon.

Why doesn't your wife want the objectively-better wagon version of your guys' car? :colbert:

Sprocket loves it too because like us, he's old as hell.

Nice car, great color, and good dog. If it's as fast as the MR2 was though, you had something seriously wrong with it (same power, -1000 lbs).

edit: otoh they are fairly close, and you won't instantly be compacted in to a meat cube in the volvo

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 5, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i detailed the hell out of my dad's v60 last year but it definitely looks better in that red

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yerok posted:

Pretty stoked on having cupholders and hydroboost

Hydroboost is gonna fuuuuck. Retrofit it to your OBS too.

Yerok posted:

Yeah, I've only owned 7.3's but I've got to tow with other peoples' trucks from the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 years

True, but you can ignore them getting slower and slower until they become resentful and refuse to work at all

I've worked on a pile of 7.3/6.0s. Noped the hell out of the 6.4 experience.
7.3s will just start burning more oil than diesel while drooling all over itself.

chrisgt posted:

Unfortunately, a honda civic makes more power than a 4R100 can handle.
At least it's not an E4OD, a weed eater can break one of those.

Too true. Garbage transmissions they are. They suck empty, they suck loaded. They break behind an engine that makes no power at all.
I have one of the early close-ratio ZF5s and the ratios are allll friggin wrong for towing. I've not driven the later wider-close-ratio ZF5 or the 6.
Best option: Allison 3060 swap.

E: less derail

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

God drat.
:perfect:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cursedshitbox posted:

Hydroboost is gonna fuuuuck. Retrofit it to your OBS too.

I've worked on a pile of 7.3/6.0s. Noped the hell out of the 6.4 experience.
7.3s will just start burning more oil than diesel while drooling all over itself.

Too true. Garbage transmissions they are. They suck empty, they suck loaded. They break behind an engine that makes no power at all.
I have one of the early close-ratio ZF5s and the ratios are allll friggin wrong for towing. I've not driven the later wider-close-ratio ZF5 or the 6.
Best option: Allison 3060 swap.

E: less derail

My monitor cropped off the top half of the image after scrolling and it became truly stunning, if you want to try that edit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
My wife and I have been camping more and more frequently. Is there a thread for people's camping setups? We're trying to figure out which route to go near/longer term

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Put a new set of wheels on my allroad, just in time to take them off for the winter. Snapped a couple pics on top of my work parking ramp yesterday morning.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 5, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ the estates are the best looking Audis bar none.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

The Big Jesus posted:

My wife and I have been camping more and more frequently. Is there a thread for people's camping setups? We're trying to figure out which route to go near/longer term

There's the AI off roading thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755109
Otherwise, you'll probably want to check out the subforum The Great Outdoors (if its still around, I can't remember if it was a temporary subforum or not)

e: it's still around! https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=&forumid=272

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Since I last posted in here, I have also done a black headliner swap (which was a lot more work than it sounds), and swapped the raised allroad roof rails for the flush B8 avant roof rails. Also removed the satin black vinyl on the roof, swapped the black exhaust tips and trunk emblem for chrome. Also had my roof box paint-matched (again).

I still have the XJ but it only gets driven once or twice a week. For once, I have no plans to change cars in the near future.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 5, 2021

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

DropShadow posted:

Put a new set of wheels on my allroad, just in time to take them off for the winter. Snapped a couple pics on top of my work parking ramp yesterday morning.
:eyepop:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Big Jesus posted:

I have sort of gone down the overlanding black hole in my thread HERE

There is an RV thread in The Great Outdoors HERE

This quickly evolved because camping is in fact good and cool and being able to do it with some comforts in a minimalist style is something I really like.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Turns out that as fun as the Abarth was, it was poo poo for a 90-minute commute. Carvana paid me $1200 more than I paid for it earlier this year, and brought me a boring replacement for a few dollars more.

Just your basic 2015 Fit EX 6MT.

I’ve had this exhaust lying around my house and a buddy’s place since I sold my last Fit in ‘16 and I’ll put it on this one next chance I get. It’s not really any louder but looks better than the OEM downturn. It’s called (no joke) the HKS COOL STYLE

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I cut my mufflers off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gioQysqK68

And then put smaller ones back on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qU5u_7z0Ug

compare to OEM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHhBn_P4cKw

I expect they'll get a little louder as they age, which I want.
I really expected the open exhaust to be a lot louder!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This picture owns. Car owns, T-38s own.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

LloydDobler posted:

Volvo has had those in all their wagons and SUVs since 01, not sure about anyone else.

Also sedans I think? I seem to remember the 04 S60 I had for all of 2 weeks had them as well. I forget as I barely spent any time in that car that wasn't in the driver's seat.

On that note, I've had a car again for a week now. Not posting it until it passes the 2 week mark without blowing a head gasket, though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Since I clearly am insane stupid, I booked a flight to grab this from San Francisco next week

Short highlights:
2015, 35k miles, clean title
TC Designs cage (nice)
JRZ RS Pros
OS Giken
Harrop Supercharger with 3 supercharger pulleys and 91/E85 flex fuel tunes for each
Stoptech 355mm front and Stoptech 345mm rear bbk
Everything SPL
ACE A350 header / front pipe / CSG Touring exhaust (yay, now I have two of each)
etc

why one brz when you can have two brz???

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 10, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Doooooope

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
whoah sick

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice! still keeping the miata?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

nice! still keeping the miata?

helllll no. dos brz for me.

Miata is quick, easy to drive, and has been dead reliable but I never fell in love with it. It'll be a pain in the rear end to sell, I can see the laughing emoji replies to a $25k Miata listing on FB already :suicide:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BlackMK4 posted:

helllll no. dos brz for me.

Miata is quick, easy to drive, and has been dead reliable but I never fell in love with it. It'll be a pain in the rear end to sell, I can see the laughing emoji replies to a $25k Miata listing on FB already :suicide:

Deets on the Miata?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

For once, I have no plans to change cars in the near future.

Suuuuuuuuuure

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MetaJew posted:

Deets on the Miata?

Uhhh, I have a FB ad up but the general idea is:
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Iron Canyon Motorsports Cage / window net / side net / fire suppression / etc
Trackspeed Engineering BorgWarner EFR6258 kit
Built 9.5:1 BP5W running on a Haltech Elite 1500
Xida Race 1200/600lb, Eibach Bar up front, MSM rear bar
Trackspeed Engineering Superlite BBK, GLoc R18 F/ R8 R with Singular vents
BMW M3 ABS with M3 CSL programming
Electric power steering column
Singular APR GT250 wing
2 sets of 15x10 6UL with RC1 and RT660
Spare 6spd trans, spare front rotor rings, etc

Bunch of other stuff. I have a title, but it is definitely not streetable nor easily converted back to street. Either way, won't be fun to sell.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Something for Racing Junk or Bring a Trailer?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

BlackMK4 posted:

BMW M3 ABS with M3 CSL programming
Could you please provide some additional information about this?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BigPaddy posted:

Something for Racing Junk or Bring a Trailer?

Good call, I'll list it on Racing Junk if it doesn't sell by the time I fly out to grab the BRZ. :) Thank you

PBCrunch posted:

Could you please provide some additional information about this?
I'm fairly super embarrassed at my first attempts at bending brake line, but:

I bought an ABS unit from a 2003+ M3, built a mount for the unit, plumbed BMW pressure sensors in line with the front and rear master cylinder lines to the ABS unit, cut the stock 3 brake lines and ran new ones with BMW flares on the ABS unit side, ran a new brake line to the right rear brake caliper line, mounted the BMW yaw sensor on the transmission tunnel, made rear brake sensor adapters for the BMW ABS sensors, trimmed some tabs on the front BMW ABS sensors and drilled new mounting holes in the spindles, then plugged in a 3DM Motorsports MK60 standalone wiring harness. Bleeding / calibrating sensors is handled through an OBD port and BMW INPA software. CSL parameters are done with NCSDummy and NCSExpert.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 11, 2021

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Since I clearly am insane stupid, I booked a flight to grab this from San Francisco next week

Short highlights:
2015, 35k miles, clean title
TC Designs cage (nice)
JRZ RS Pros
OS Giken
Harrop Supercharger with 3 supercharger pulleys and 91/E85 flex fuel tunes for each
Stoptech 355mm front and Stoptech 345mm rear bbk
Everything SPL
ACE A350 header / front pipe / CSG Touring exhaust (yay, now I have two of each)
etc

why one brz when you can have two brz???

Nice, I certainly hope you have better luck than one of my friends who's running a supercharged BRZ. He's on engine number 4 in... ah... 3 years?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

TrueChaos posted:

Nice, I certainly hope you have better luck than one of my friends who's running a supercharged BRZ. He's on engine number 4 in... ah... 3 years?

That's the subaru experience we all know and love; it's what makes subaru a subaru; engine swaps.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
At least you nailed my worry with the car right away :v:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Bought another old Audi, 1997 S6 Plus. One of 855 Avants made.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

afen posted:

Bought another old Audi, 1997 S6 Plus. One of 855 Avants made.

That's real pretty. Dig the color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BlackMK4 posted:

At least you nailed my worry with the car right away :v:

That engine slaps, piston slap that is.