Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

eke out posted:

continue listening to this one after the credits lol

So... uh... that sure was a sequel hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Hey, so if you just came into this thread and clicked Last Page, Campaign 1 just ended and everything was alright!

I hope if they allow people to play NPCs that someone plays Beth May in the next campaign. She seems like a weird original character with a lot of room to grow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

go doodlers

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

The ending felt a bit anti climatic to me however the epilogue was pretty awesome.

The whole podcast has just been awesome really. It's the only D&D podcast I've listened through completely without growing bored and giving up on it or having to come back to finish it later down the line.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

The ending felt a bit anti climatic to me however the epilogue was pretty awesome.

The whole podcast has just been awesome really. It's the only D&D podcast I've listened through completely without growing bored and giving up on it or having to come back to finish it later down the line.

I kinda feel the same about the ending now that I’ve had some time to think about it. it was fine, I didn’t hate it, I just think it felt very “safe” compared to some of the bigger swings this podcast has taken; especially in light of Anthony’s constant “I’m gonna take the gloves off” warnings. He did kill Glenn, to his credit, but then Glenn came back (sort of, anyway, he reentered the narrative anyway) and everyone basically got a happy ending. It’s fine, I don’t have strong feelings about it, it just wasn’t as good as the rest of the podcast was. Endings are hard though, especially when you can’t control what your protagonists do and events are decided by dice rolls, i don’t hold anything against anyone

That post credits scene though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea plus it sounded like he genuinely was swerved by the pocket dimension trick and decided to roll with it to reward creativity. I have a feeling Willie was meant to be a way bigger part of the fight before he got fish-hooked into the fuckoff box. I can see why he went with it, though, it was a good climactic end to have everyone working together with Ron telling him to gently caress off and all even if it wasn't the big magic fight Anthony likely planned.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I know he was joking about it, but Dad Max: Fury Road sounds like a really good idea for a sequel series

I know he was joking because there were a lot of ways to counter the magnificent mansion spell if he really wanted that nuke to go off

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea plus it sounded like he genuinely was swerved by the pocket dimension trick and decided to roll with it to reward creativity. I have a feeling Willie was meant to be a way bigger part of the fight before he got fish-hooked into the fuckoff box. I can see why he went with it, though, it was a good climactic end to have everyone working together with Ron telling him to gently caress off and all even if it wasn't the big magic fight Anthony likely planned.

And if you leave a villain alive, they can always come back for the sequel.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I really enjoyed the finale. The four players had been talking for weeks about how much they were planning their attack. Seeing that all come together by putting Willy in a box and loving Anthony once again was the perfect conclusion to the type of campaign this has been.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the ending was deeply anticlimactic and all the character arcs ended with half-hearted shrugs, which suits the fuckaround jokes-heavy podcast I enjoyed listening to.

It did not suit the emotionally heavy, deep and meaningful podcast everyone involved clearly believed they were making, based on the number of fake cries about dad relationships I had to listen to or railroaded childhood trauma flashbacks I had to sit through. the emotional beats of that podcast also often had very little to do with the events I had to actually listen to. It really says everything about their approach to the serious side of the podcast that more than one character says Ron, who literally needs his child to parent him at every available turn, is a great dad.

They made some serious storytelling mistakes as a group around the trial arc, I think, and Anthony has made both big and little storytelling errors since then (killing original blend Nicholas and never bringing him back and never following up on it being probably the biggest in my book), so cumulatively the emotional stuff never once landed for me. Hopefully the shorter-form stuff we're getting next is heavier on the jokes side.

e: also they should just absolutely not be playing D&D, or if they are Anthony should commit to it being a rules-light approach. Taking a podcast with generously like a couple dozen rounds of combat in it and trying to end it with a giant battle finale where literally every character from the podcast comes back with unique stats and their own place in initiative and there are unique terrain problems is a colossally stupid idea.

Then again, I suppose it's only fitting that gamsmaster Anthony ended his podcast with every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality coming in with everything for a HUGE party.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 22, 2021

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Valentin posted:

the ending was deeply anticlimactic and all the character arcs ended with half-hearted shrugs, which suits the fuckaround jokes-heavy podcast I enjoyed listening to.

It did not suit the emotionally heavy, deep and meaningful podcast everyone involved clearly believed they were making, based on the number of fake cries about dad relationships I had to listen to or railroaded childhood trauma flashbacks I had to sit through. the emotional beats of that podcast also often had very little to do with the events I had to actually listen to. It really says everything about their approach to the serious side of the podcast that more than one character says Ron, who literally needs his child to parent him at every available turn, is a great dad.

They made some serious storytelling mistakes as a group around the trial arc, I think, and Anthony has made both big and little storytelling errors since then (killing original blend Nicholas and never bringing him back and never following up on it being probably the biggest in my book), so cumulatively the emotional stuff never once landed for me. Hopefully the shorter-form stuff we're getting next is heavier on the jokes side.

e: also they should just absolutely not be playing D&D, or if they are Anthony should commit to it being a rules-light approach. Taking a podcast with generously like a couple dozen rounds of combat in it and trying to end it with a giant battle finale where literally every character from the podcast comes back with unique stats and their own place in initiative and there are unique terrain problems is a colossally stupid idea.

Then again, I suppose it's only fitting that gamsmaster Anthony ended his podcast with every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality coming in with everything for a HUGE party.

Bad takes imo

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, this peaked with Ron getting his anchor, and the few episodes inbetween of them "preparing" for the end fight felt a lot like TAZ Balance's last arc, but done in fastforward, where they tried to do a lot of character building on a beach to establish why we give a poo poo about their character arc and how they care about their sons, because they regularly just drop them off at daycare and then make dick jokes for an hour. Then they tried to have the epic final battle, and what happened was: It's the final battle, you can amass a bunch of resources to fight that battle, but then the enemy is going to do the same... except none of the people involved even knew how their characters worked for 80% of the show, let alone the rest of the mechanics. I could see many, many handwaves that Anthony did to make it so they could reach the finish line between Darrel's Primer time travel bit, Glenn technically being back along with Jodi to take aggro, and the wives suddenly appearing as backup because without them, this was absolutely going to be a Barry TPK. I think it was selective, and some stuff did happen naturally because good rolls make good story, but there were some things that just wouldn't fly if they were going by the numbers, and they were all either exceptionally lucky to have those moments happen from Anthony's side of the DM screen, or he fudged the numbers/ignored mechanics that could absolutely kill and ruin the entire ending

That being said, there is a season 2 hook after the excellent credits that has fully reinvested me into the campaign, and I hope that much like Ron's pants, Anthony is incapable of ever wearing a garment that would have a cinch around his wrist in the future. Just no gloves at all, gloves already off. Beth sorta knows how sneak attack works now, get her that gunslinger/rogue combo that lets her shoot and hide on the same turn so she can break that poo poo in half

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

flavor.flv posted:

I know he was joking about it, but Dad Max: Fury Road sounds like a really good idea for a sequel series

I know he was joking because there were a lot of ways to counter the magnificent mansion spell if he really wanted that nuke to go off

It’s good that Anthony ignoring spell details defeated him.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Willie getting told to go gently caress himself before being put in the box is the resolution he deserves. He's not worthy anyone's time to deal with

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

goblin week posted:

Willie getting told to go gently caress himself before being put in the box is the resolution he deserves. He's not worthy anyone's time to deal with

Yea there is some merit in the idea that Willie getting ganked by everyone teaming up to put him in the fuckoff box while Ron tells him to go gently caress himself being more narratively fitting for him. He was the kind of character who clearly thought he was the main character and was likely expecting a big epic magic fight and even if you beat him in it you kinda give him what he wants by just letting this pathetic abusive loser become 'the big bad' in such a way. Shoving him in the fuckoff box is what he deserves as Ron's payoff to overcoming his abuse and all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I wouldn't blame anyone for skipping over the episode on the feed today since talking about a show is something that can be really boring, but they revealed the premise for the second campaign: they're not playing as the dads again, they're playing as their kids' children. So it's a safe bet that it's going to be some kind of post-Doodler-pocalyptic storyline.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It's a little sad they abandoned the idea for a Stranger Things monster hunt campaign. Beth seemed so jazzed about it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao anthony immediately yelling at beth about character choices to be Agent Cody Banks' spy dog

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
The first episode of the Dogs side story is up on Patreon and is good fun.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

eke out posted:

lmao anthony immediately yelling at beth about character choices to be Agent Cody Banks' spy dog

The dreadful accent cracked me up.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I was taking bets on who was contrarian enough to be the cat, and am gratified to be right it's Freddie

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
I love that Beth apparently didn’t consider this campaign would put dogs into life or death situations, and she just can’t handle it.

Great characters from everyone on this, I especially like Donut’s voice.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Fetch Quest is fantastic so far. I actually love how much resistance Will put up to keep his plans going and the sheer effort the group put into loving him over.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If you missed it or dont follow punchmen entertainment Anthony managed to win at Wrestling Signs game two weeks ago

https://twitter.com/anthony_burch/status/1459755833504546819?t=AHXpcFFeciFszN6z0X1-sQ&s=1

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I like Borderlands 2 and I think Anthony is hilarious on the podcast, but his Twitter is dire. It feels like a time capsule of the worst kind of 2014 Twitter posting style.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I dunno if I agree with that, but some of his tweets do make me worry about his mental health

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I like Borderlands 2 and I think Anthony is hilarious on the podcast, but his Twitter is dire. It feels like a time capsule of the worst kind of 2014 Twitter posting style.

I only recently added him and had the exact same feeling. Like a shitposting time capsule.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r3c8xm4lDq1s6p69d_720.mp4

Sound on

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Can’t wait for Tim to play Flipcup’s son in season 2

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

As the owner of an Odyssey, I feel like I have to buy this:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Branson Reese is an absolutely wild looking dude and I love it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Wait, I posted that in here? Well no wonder nobody replied in the Rude Tales thread

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm only on episode 2 of fetch quest but I think anthony missed his calling as an insult comic

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've never seen a single second of entourage, so I was worried this episode wouldn't be fun for me, but those doubts were completely misplaced

I think i've figured out the show fairly quickly

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I saw about 20 minutes of the pilot decades ago. They nailed it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Valentin posted:

As much as I love this show and recommend it to people I agree with this take on it. The show ended up getting dragged down a little by the heavy handed character arcs and forced tearjerker moments. Some of it was great but they sometimes lost track of what made the show so much fun in the first place. The new Talking Dad episodes are making me think they’re going to keep overthinking it in an overenthusiastic film student sort of way, but they’re still getting my patreon money and I’m excited to hear what comes next.

Fake edit: oh yeah also Will was a lot of fun as a DM and I loved the candle gimmick so much. It was a great idea for the dog theme and Matt’s enthusiasm for sniffing candles made it a true delight.

I started the show as a big Ron fan but looking back on it all, Matt is the dad and dog mvp

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Matt is seriously good, he does an amazing job of tapping into the character and reacting off-the-cuff in the way that the character would, even if it's not good for the problem that the players are trying to solve. Like in the trial arc, where he seemed torn between hating Bill but having a natural urge to defer to him because Darryl respects authority figures, or the entourage one-shot where Darryl has a full on catholic guilt mental breakdown because he got a handjob from meadow soprano

He's also really quick with little stingers like "sorry we turned into a bird" in the football episode

I do agree that the show is more fun when they're trying to make each other laugh rather than cry, but I don't think they ever lost sight of the fun of the show, even at the end. And the last week f talking dads has me somewhat confident that they're aware of the trap that they could potentially fall into at the beginning of season 2, the TAZ thing of "ok we've finished season 1, here's what resonated with the fans, let's try to do that again;" I think one of the things they mentioned was that for the first batch of season 1 episodes, they recorded them all before the first one was released, so they were working without knowing what the audience was reacting to, and I think one of them floated the idea of doing something similar for season 2 to make sure that their focus is on having fun with each other rather than trying to be keeping up with feedback or whatever.

I feel confident that season 2 will be good, naddpod proved that that's possible for a comedy d&d podcast and I think the dadpod crew can do it too.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I'm tentatively optimistic about the next season after they showed some awareness of second season traps that other APs fell into.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Trailer dropped.

More excited for it than I thought I'd be, especially since the story setup seems to leverage my feeling that the ending of Season One was happy and victorious in a completely unearned way (for the characters, who hosed up so bad in their adventure to save their kids that they left one of the kids magically predisposed to violence and anger, rewrote one out of existence into a new kid, and killed an adoptive child they didn't even have at the start of the journey). At the very least, the whole premise literally results from Henry's failure to help his own kid.

Relatedly, I just realized that (further S1 ending discussion) Henry/Will totally could have taken some of their prep time to try to help heal Lark from being magically angry and compelled to hate him, if Ron had time to go to therapy. Pretty bad dadding to leave the magical world forever with your kid still magically cursed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The campaign after the campaign