Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i'm not super confident in shan's jury management or her theoretical FTC speech. i think she has a good shot but i could also see her potentially getting overdefensive. i like her overall. ...can't stand her little song though. but whatever it's harmless.

good episode, though, and a good play by xander. finally getting a bit more invested. i lagged behind the first half of the season because i wasn't really into it. might be a good post merge though.

danny's criticism is fully valid though and i think messing with already won immunity or introducing idol nullifiers is garbage. if you ask me there should be two things that cannot be affected without the player's direct choice: vote and immunity. risk your own vote? fine. give away your necklace or idol? fine. but no steal-a-vote, no idol nullifier, no reversing immunity in any way. you're completely robbing players of their agency, and things like your vote or immunity might be the only agency you have if you're on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Aw yay someone changed our title thanks benevolent TVIV gods

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Adus posted:

i'm not super confident in shan's jury management or her theoretical FTC speech. i think she has a good shot but i could also see her potentially getting overdefensive. i like her overall. ...can't stand her little song though. but whatever it's harmless.

good episode, though, and a good play by xander. finally getting a bit more invested. i lagged behind the first half of the season because i wasn't really into it. might be a good post merge though.

danny's criticism is fully valid though and i think messing with already won immunity or introducing idol nullifiers is garbage. if you ask me there should be two things that cannot be affected without the player's direct choice: vote and immunity. risk your own vote? fine. give away your necklace or idol? fine. but no steal-a-vote, no idol nullifier, no reversing immunity in any way. you're completely robbing players of their agency, and things like your vote or immunity might be the only agency you have if you're on the bottom.

I'd be shocked if there isn't an idol nullifier on this season

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Adus posted:

...can't stand her little song though. but whatever it's harmless.

It's caused me to like the musical composition on the show for the first time because they keep working it in.

quote:

Danny's frustration is valid and probably especially acute because it was a surprise, but I dunno about robbing players of agency reversing a team immunity.

Taking away individual immunity would be bullshit though.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

pokeyman posted:

Taking away individual immunity would be bullshit though.

i'm not entirely sure what the difference is overall. obviously this is a more unique immunity since they've never really made half the people immune at the merge before but if you tell me i win immunity or i use an idol i don't think that should be messed with.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd be shocked if there isn't an idol nullifier on this season

i could have sworn this was already mentioned in some way during this season, though i can't remember where and in what context so maybe i'm crazy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think they could also pull off the immunity flip if there had been clues or something hidden at camp. Which is something they could bring back anyway, finding an idol used to be more than just stumbling upon it in the woods, they'd set up clues and puzzles and cryptic hints and whatnot. Frame the twist as something the Survivors could have uncovered if they thought to look, some scroll or something to give them a heads-up. Who they share that info with, do they throw, do they send someone to the island with a plan, like, there's room for gameplay there.

My least favourite part of survivor is when production manipulates things with no input from players. Tribe swaps are the most common and egregious ones and I fully believe that 100% of the time the "random draws" for headbands are pre-determined, maybe even rock drawing, but the nature of the show is such that there can never be convincing proof to me either way unless I get a job there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Adus posted:

i'm not entirely sure what the difference is overall. obviously this is a more unique immunity since they've never really made half the people immune at the merge before but if you tell me i win immunity or i use an idol i don't think that should be messed with.

I'm imagining someone on the bottom of the tribe outworking everyone else to win individual immunity and save themselves, only to have Jeff be like "someone smashed a prop, gently caress you" and the obvious vote happens anyway. That seems way worse than a group of five all losing immunity.

Not saying my personal reaction would be any different between the two scenarios, but as a viewer I didn't have a problem with the group switch-em-up. Especially since, like you say, it was already a weird half-tribe immunity thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, immunity should be inviolable. Once you have immunity, you're safe at the next tribal council. Period. If you have a hidden immunity idol, sure, somebody else might have a 'steal an idol' type advantage, but the moment you say "I'm playing this," it's in play, and that's that.

This sort of 'lol no you don't have immunity now because of something you had no way of foreseeing, or even knowing was a possibility' gimmick just turns the game into straight-up coin flips. I feel like it violates the fundamental premise of the game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like idol-nullifiers if they're earned and played by players

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If it had flipped at tribal that would be one thing, but it happened before another immunity challenge so it's not like they didn't have ample time to alter plans.

I might still be pretty miffed if it happened to me, sure, but I don't think it was quite as bullshit as some are making it out to be

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I fully believe that 100% of the time the "random draws" for headbands are pre-determined, maybe even rock drawing, but the nature of the show is such that there can never be convincing proof to me either way unless I get a job there.

I wonder if the USA's fair competition laws apply? Especially with drawing rocks for elimination, that sounds a lot like some of the old quiz show scandals.

The Bloop posted:

If it had flipped at tribal that would be one thing, but it happened before another immunity challenge so it's not like they didn't have ample time to alter plans.

This is a good point!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the pulling a buff/rock blind from a bag/tray are truly random unless adam klein lied to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have to agree with Bloop here, the time travel goofiness isn't quite as bad as its made out to be. I wouldn't exactly be upset if it never showed up again, but the David Bloomberg types that are all like "JEFF LIED TO THE PLAYERS ZOMG" are being a bit hyperbolic tbh.

I think Steal an Idol is actually more unfair but it worked out because a lot of these players are bad at Survivor.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 10, 2021

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I think my problem with the hourglass is the first challenge didn't matter since whoever went to exile was always going to smash it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I agree the hourglass isn't a "big" deal, but I think it's fair to consider it another eye-rolling gimmick item or advantage among many across survivor history and also this season.

pokeyman posted:

I wonder if the USA's fair competition laws apply? Especially with drawing rocks for elimination, that sounds a lot like some of the old quiz show scandals.

This is a good point!

I said what I said in a determined paranoid conspiracy way, something I believe regardless of the evidence or player accounts because maybe Jeff's out there with a machete gonna chop family heads off if someone ever reveals the terrible survivor rigging secret. Realistically there are a ton of other ways producers or whoever could influence the game that wouldn't rely on rigging random draws.

If we had an omniscient observer I'd wager money than a non-zero amount of bandana distributions had some degree of manipulation, whether it's literally determining ahead of time and ensuring people only draw what they're meant to, re-shooting - i have a vague memory of one bandana distribution where jeff called out names to toss them their bundle or otherwise was handing them to players without them doing any "pick whatever one you want." if i just had to be reasonable for one goddamn moment, i'd probably have to say most indiciations say those moments are not rigged like I'm saying.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
They did rig it! Once, in the first season, and it led to a lawsuit that they were gonna lose, so they paid out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Which means I'm right about all of my other wild ideas, including that each contestant is just Jeff living another lifetime, a way for the Jeffiverse to experience itsjelff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

freeman posted:

I think my problem with the hourglass is the first challenge didn't matter since whoever went to exile was always going to smash it.

It absolutely mattered.

They got a feast!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don’t mind the hour glass as far as what it actually did. I do get the people who are upset that it went down like

Jeff: the team that wins this challenge is immune
*team wins challenge*
*team are specifically not immune, and never were gonna be*

Like Danny said, is that a twist or just a lie

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Oh it's an outright lie. The fair way to do it would ironically be cribbed from a show even more about deception, which would be to emulate De Mol, where it's known to all players that certain exemptions have to be defended for a second challenge.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know all the brain geniuses in this thread, myself included, think smashing the hourglass was obviously the correct move but people asserting that it was a guaranteed outcome have me wondering if they've ever watched this show before.

Even this season we've already seen some people step directly on their own genital and there have been massive whopper mistakes in the past.

Also, who was on which team was random and different team makeups may have drastically changed the calculus on that decision.

It's not a lie

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I know all the brain geniuses in this thread, myself included, think smashing the hourglass was obviously the correct move but people asserting that it was a guaranteed outcome have me wondering if they've ever watched this show before.

Even this season we've already seen some people step directly on their own genital and there have been massive whopper mistakes in the past.

Also, who was on which team was random and different team makeups may have drastically changed the calculus on that decision.

It's not a lie

Not only did the group that send you there obviously not value you but then you have to explain to the other half that you could have given them all immunity but didn't.

I don't see people who willingly give up their vote on 4-5 person tribes for the chance of an advantage not taking a sure immunity and instant goodwill with the half that might be neutral on you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hahaha

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I love her "holy poo poo i cant believe that worked but i cant openly laugh rn" not-smile.

Also Xander better find the clue, I mean, they've hidden clues and advantages under the sit-out bench for soooo long.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

The Bloop posted:

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/uKn7EJW.gif[timg]

Ya I've seen that and every episode.

In season 41 the hourglass was always getting smashed though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Also Xander better find the clue, I mean, they've hidden clues and advantages under the sit-out bench for soooo long.

He was definitely looking and I think it's the whole reason he went

Hahaha he didn't get it

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I refuse to believe he chose the bench, looked for it and didn't find it. I can't!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah what an airhead

edit: okay he did have an agenda just doofed on a common survivor trick

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha Naseer is badass "i can have steak when im at home, who cares about grilled cheese"

Shan, he's not your number one, who are you still trying to fool here? Oh apparently Ricard. he still hoping their alliance isn't messed up... even though you've been feuding longer than you were ever allied by now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm worried that she'll resent me so I ate her food without being offered

What a dope

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
jeff incorporating the bargaining after chuffing at it when it happened naturally. that was alright. at first reveal i was hoping for a classic "all u can eat while they play" but that's weak after two food rewards in a row

get the feeling this one's not gonna go very long

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 11, 2021

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
What's a Heather

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Two foot closeup episodes in a row, huh producers?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why thank you? that's the only titillation left after the buttcrack blurring inquisition came to town

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Love a good chaos reigns immunity win

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Betraydar is a good portmanteau

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

A Heather Confessional. Never thought I'd see the day.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Live tribal incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Heather is the loving star this week