Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

What if Lois Lane is Superman? Have we ever seen them in the same room?

Yes, dozens of times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yes, dozens of times?

How do you know that isn't a superman robot

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #82 (1960)

One of those futures leftists want.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Retro Futurist posted:

It should be Chickenhawkeye :colbert:

That was going to be my vote

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #82 (1960)

Close guys, it's "More powerful than a locomotive" not, "Able to top the toughest train"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Exiles #84 (2006)

I still honestly don't see why people have funerals in the MU (or DCU for that matter), even before Dawn of X death was at worst a minor annoyance for anyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

I still honestly don't see why people have funerals in the MU (or DCU for that matter), even before Dawn of X death was at worst a minor annoyance for anyone.

Ehh, Exiles mostly takes place in alternate dimensions, those people tend to stay dead.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MasterBuilder posted:

Has Thrr ever been a bad dog and been unable to lift his hammer?

Nick Fury convincing Thor he’s unworthy by whispering “bad dog” in his ear is a twist I enjoy

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Alhazred posted:

My favorite of these was the time a brainwashed Punisher killed Nick Fury For Reals He's Nevar Coming Back and some of the attendees were condescendingly pitying his former Howling Commando buddies for clinging to the delusion that it was some kind of ruse.

TBF, it was almost 3 years before Fury turned up alive.

I also fondly remember the death of Captain America in that regard given that pretty much every single other character in that storyline had all had their own Nope They Are Really Dead No Takebacks stories already which really highlighted how impermanent it was going be.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

How would you even know that you were killing the real Nick Fury.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It was pretty good when they killed Banshee and his daughter is just like "no, he's absolutely coming back." And he actually stayed dead for quite a while. I can't remember if he came back before Krakoa.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Alhazred posted:

I guess it would still be an excuse to get together and share memories and eat food. The most recent season of Curb Your Enthusiasm had an episode in which someone throws a living funeral for themselves and while it was played off as kind of a pathetic attention-seeking thing I thought it kind of made sense for a superhero universe. People still want a little catharsis and closure.

I'm also reminded of the subplot in Peter David's X-Factor in which Siryn was just completely unbothered by her dad getting obliterated by a plane flying into him because she was like, "oh you know, he's probably living undercover, or it was a clone, or whatever, he'll be back in a little bit."

Skwirl posted:

It was pretty good when they killed Banshee and his daughter is just like "no, he's absolutely coming back." And he actually stayed dead for quite a while. I can't remember if he came back before Krakoa.

Oh you posted this while I was writing so I didn't see it, sorry. The answer is kind of. He came back as a stupid zombie in Uncanny Avengers and just spent some time in pretty bad comics lurching around being undead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
banshee really was dead, except that obviously doesn't matter in the mu.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kurt was dead for quite a while and the X-Men had to go to literal heaven to get him back.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Skwirl posted:

Kurt was dead for quite a while and the X-Men had to go to literal heaven to get him back.

Is Jesus an Eternal?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Jesus an Eternal?

Nah he's a Dakkamite.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Skwirl posted:

They went to literal hell to get him back. He was in heaven in the first place, then Azazel showed up to taunt him about some poo poo he was up to, then bamfed back out. Then Kurt went "Well, that just happened!" and jumped down from heaven into hell to stop whatever Azazel was doing.

My favorite funeral was for Martian Manhunter because Superman said word for word "Let us pray for a resurrection". I hadn't even known J'onn had died, I just looked up what was happening with him. Then I checked on Nightcrawler. Then I checked on the Question. That was an extremely annoying chain of Google searches. Shot, telefragged, lung cancer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Skwirl posted:

Yes, dozens of times?

The perfect alibi!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I love when comics go into weird derails which lead to great thought experiments.

Like in Kevin Smith's run on Green Arrow, one of Hal Jordon's last acts was to being Green Arrow back from the dead.

Only he was like how Hal remembered Ollie from their glory days. Younger and with memories up to about their Road Trip time.
And eventually you discover why, which is Green Arrow's soul was in Heaven.
So two distinct and different Oliver Queens in existence at once.

In the end old Ollie leaves Heaven and merges with the other Ollie to save his life, but it was an interesting idea.

It did lead me to wonder, would Marvel Hell have a chamber in it filled with all the different iterations of the Red Skull who have died but due to cloning/mind copies/ cosmic cube trickery were all distinct entities.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Question IRL posted:

It did lead me to wonder, would Marvel Hell have a chamber in it filled with all the different iterations of the Red Skull who have died but due to cloning/mind copies/ cosmic cube trickery were all distinct entities.

Maybe at one point, but I guarantee Strong Guy just squashed them all together into one dumb nazi to save on torture expenses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I love when comics go into weird derails which lead to great thought experiments.

Like in Kevin Smith's run on Green Arrow, one of Hal Jordon's last acts was to being Green Arrow back from the dead.

Only he was like how Hal remembered Ollie from their glory days. Younger and with memories up to about their Road Trip time.

In the end old Ollie leaves Heaven and merges with the other Ollie to save his life, but it was an interesting idea.

That reminds me of something that bugged me about the previous season of Legends of Tomorrow where the main bad guy kills a character and replaces them with a clone with all their memories. Nobody ever brought up the whole "soul" thing despite this happening to a character who had died before and there was a story arc about getting their soul back.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Toshimo posted:

Maybe at one point, but I guarantee Strong Guy just squashed them all together into one dumb nazi to save on torture expenses.

I thought that was Puck... then I double-checked. Just how many cool mutants have ended up ruling hell?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elfface posted:

I thought that was Puck... then I double-checked. Just how many cool mutants have ended up ruling hell?

Puck's not a mutant. Please turn in your MMMS card.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Secret Wars: Warzones House of M #2

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #113 (1963)

Suicide Squad #19 (1988)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hey, johnny storm does everything like a fiery nitwit. it's very rude to suggest he limits it to flying.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Sauron is having a good bad ol' time in X-Men Unlimited #11.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
4 Fantastic 9:20
And the watchman told, saying, He came even unto them, and cometh not again: and the flying is like the flying of Johnny brother of Sue; for he flieth like an fiery nitwit.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

The Question IRL posted:

"You're not the archer, you're just the quiver!" was a legitimately good title drop. From Etrigan!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #51 (1977)

Power Man and Iron Fist #76 (1981)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Excalibur (2019) #25

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So in Superman vs Lobo #2

An alien intelligence does the whole Twitter/birds thing;

and Superman gives his opinion of Lobo;

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The_Other posted:

and Superman gives his opinion of Lobo;

I feel like this is patently untrue, as Lobo can do something "nice" once in a while, and meanwhile Darkseid will go around and destroy your comfy chair's assgroove just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think that's his point. Darkseid is evil but there's a consistency to his evil - it's derived from a set of internal beliefs and motivations about the worthlessness of life and chairs; whereas Lobo can be good but there's no rhyme or reason to his actions, it's pure chaos, and he's just as likely to destroy your armchair as help defeat an interstellar threat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man's got to have a code

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Say what you want about the tenets of the anti-life equation, at least it's an ethos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Superman knows where he stands with Luthor and Darkseid. With Lobo he has know idea what's going to happen.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Other posted:

Superman gives his opinion of Lobo;

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #20 (1943)

Black Panther #15 (1979)