Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I just realised that the meme is true: metroid really is a girl

Mercury Steam seems to have leaned into that meme a little bit - the Dread version of the main theme, which IIRC in the Prime games is called 'Samus Aran's theme', is called "Super Metroid" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

poo poo Status: Real

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Introducing Samus's snacks at this stage of the game is kind of interesting from a mechanics point of view. Even if you assume that the player has played the previous games and knows about that mechanic, it feels odd to bring it up so late.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Gnoman posted:

Introducing Samus's snacks at this stage of the game is kind of interesting from a mechanics point of view.

Congrats, now I'm forever calling the Samus clone from Fusion the Snacks-AX.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles posted:

Congrats, now I'm forever calling the Samus clone from Fusion the Snacks-AX.

Renaming the old Fusion thread. Yakety-SNAX

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Aw yeah, the X get an HD appearance in the series, and they really don't waste the opportunity in making them look every bit as terrifying as you'd imagine them to be.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Gnoman posted:

Introducing Samus's snacks at this stage of the game is kind of interesting from a mechanics point of view. Even if you assume that the player has played the previous games and knows about that mechanic, it feels odd to bring it up so late.

If you've played Fusion (and don't immediately predict it like Natural 20 did), I think it's a great "oh poo poo" moment to reveal it so late. If you haven't played Fusion it probably feels weird and like it comes out of nowhere though.

I think it's a case of story over mechanics, and I think that's actually cool since it's something you don't see a lot these days.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gnoman posted:

They were in the initial cutscene and Quiet Robe just told Samus that Raven Beak contained them somehow.
I think the game will show new players what exactly happens when containment breaks.

From a mechanics perspective, I noticed that until now enemy drops were automatically attracted to Samus, but now she has to actively hunt her snacks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omobono posted:

They were in the initial cutscene and Quiet Robe just told Samus that Raven Beak contained them somehow.
I think the game will show new players what exactly happens when containment breaks.

From a mechanics perspective, I noticed that until now enemy drops were automatically attracted to Samus, but now she has to actively hunt her snacks.

They still get sucked in from about the same range.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bruceski posted:

They still get sucked in from about the same range.

I seem to remember standard powerups flying in from across the screen. Whereas the snacking range is about two Samuses?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah you'll need to actively hunt down the X compared to the pickups (and they will reform the enemies if you don't catch them) but it's still pretty lenient and generous with the nom range.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Why are there these morphball booster tunnels at all? Who uses/used them? Could the chozo turn into balls as well? Or is this just a cool gameplay feature?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Torrannor posted:

Why are there these morphball booster tunnels at all? Who uses/used them? Could the chozo turn into balls as well? Or is this just a cool gameplay feature?

Yes? Samus is an adopted Chozo, her suit is a standard* issue Chozo suit and this is the home planet to a Chozo warrior tribe.
Also morph ball was THE first upgrade ever in Metroid (probably as a tutorial but nonetheless)

*as per Fusion probably far less standard and I have no idea how Raven Beak's suit compares to the Zero Mission / Samus Returns / Super Metroid suit.
He probably has an overengineered custom one, three times faster than your average Mobile Chozo Suit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pretty sure chozo could turn into balls, or basically be turned into an energy state or something as the suit turns into a ball? I mean if I could turn myself into an armored death ball, I would

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Omobono posted:

He probably has an overengineered custom one, three times faster than your average Mobile Chozo Suit.

Nah, can't be, it's not red.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
With the X coming back and Fusion stuff, was it ever explained why the Power Suit looks like it's old self again at the beginning of this one, as opposed to the distinctly palette swapped of the OG but still mutated appearance it had at the end of Fusion?

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 11, 2021

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Shitenshi posted:

With the X coming back and Fusion stuff, was it ever explained why the Power Suit looks like it's old self again at the beginning of this one, as opposed to the distinctly palette swapped mutated appearance at the end of Fusion?

In interview materials leading up to release, it's said that the Power Suit is gradually regenerating the armor that was surgically removed around the more fleshy looking suit post-Fusion.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

Someone put the "no Zaku!" audio over Samus's original fight with Beak.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Omobono posted:

I seem to remember standard powerups flying in from across the screen. Whereas the snacking range is about two Samuses?

True, it's weird. Sometimes they come flying in from a mile away, other times I seem to easily leave them behind by running away from them while five feet from where they dropped. I was instinctively gauging by that minimal distance.

There's some sort of X gravity well, but their tendency to move around makes it trickier to know exactly what.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Charzo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

We've seen the Chozo and Torizo, so the logical conclusion is the Chorizo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think "all of the soldiers became infected" might be what Raven Beak tells other people. Actually, he ordered a bunch of them to kill themselves before they could become infected.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lone Badger posted:

I think "all of the soldiers became infected" might be what Raven Beak tells other people. Actually, he ordered a bunch of them to kill themselves before they could become infected.

I doubt that, seems kinda foolish. Though I could see Chozo Warriors killing themselves if they felt they were about to be infected, or doing so after being trapped in Elun. If a creature is a corpse or not does make a difference to the X as X don't inherit memories from corpses if I recall correctly.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nah, the X gain the abilities and memories of their host even if the host was already dead. Raven Beak would have no reason to order his soldiers to kill themselves since it wouldn't matter, it'd just make it easier for the X to take their bodies and minds.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the killshots on those guys.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spreading snacks across the planet just makes things easier for Samus doesn't it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Lone Badger posted:

Spreading snacks across the planet just makes things easier for Samus doesn't it?

No, cause X'd creatures are considerably tougher than their originals.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

The door was sealed when we went in...

And yeah the robot chozos are robots. That spear guys are actual chozo warriors being mimicked by the X.

Blue EMMI with Gaze Of Freeze Your rear end is a huge pain, good luck dealing with it.

X that are going to become something else generally flash white.

I honestly think they use the term "Bounty Hunter" mostly because it sounds better than "Solo Mercenary." They did say she's getting paid a bounty by SOMEONE for coming to ZDR.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah this is not Samus's fault. Cause the doors were sealed when she was inside. Heck give her a little bit of time and she could wiped all the X in there out. That's not feasible when they are spread over the planet now.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I love how unaware these guys are. 'I wonder what kind of gimmick this blue EMMI has that we saw FREEZING a drone and smashing it into ice chunks in the reactivation cut scene'. Like you guys figured out the yellow one was speed booster instantly.

I haven't played a single metroid but c'mon, even I know the Ice beam is a thing, and it probably deals with those flaming mushrooms that are blocking hall/doorways.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The big red orbs that balefully glared at you when you entered are turned off when you exit. Someone (Raven Beak being the obvious candidate) must have disabled the security to let the X escape on purpose.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welp, planet is hosed, ready the Death Star laser. Not that we didn't know this already.

Although I think I finally figured something that was bothering me: (speculation) why is Adam using Samus instead of lady? Oh dear he's been kidnapped by Raven Beak at the start of the game, that's his equivalent to blinking twice.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah he’s ded ‘ard.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
There is something I don't understand about the timeline. The events Quiet Cloth described where the Thoha sealed the metroids away with the help of the Mawkin, and then were massacred by the Mawkin, and then Quiet Cloth was taken to ZDR occurred before Metroid II, right? (Possibly before Metroid I?). The X are not a threat in Metroid II. Samus doesn't encounter any at all even as she travels through the entire planet, but an X managed to infect a Mawkin soldier? Also, why didn't the Mawkin bring the metroids with them, or even just a few metroids with them, when they departed SRX-388? Like, they were already on the planet with the thing that they really want, why not get it, or at least some of it, while they are there?

Also, if Raven Beak needs a Thoha to control his metroids for him, why did he just murder his last Thoha with a killer robot?

It seems the X can't pass though metal? Only flesh?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nebrilos posted:

There is something I don't understand about the timeline. The events Quiet Cloth described where the Thoha sealed the metroids away with the help of the Mawkin, and then were massacred by the Mawkin, and then Quiet Cloth was taken to ZDR occurred before Metroid II, right? (Possibly before Metroid I?). The X are not a threat in Metroid II. Samus doesn't encounter any at all even as she travels through the entire planet, but an X managed to infect a Mawkin soldier? Also, why didn't the Mawkin bring the metroids with them, or even just a few metroids with them, when they departed SRX-388? Like, they were already on the planet with the thing that they really want, why not get it, or at least some of it, while they are there?

Also, if Raven Beak needs a Thoha to control his metroids for him, why did he just murder his last Thoha with a killer robot?

Quiet Robe.
The events took place prior to Metroid 1. While Samus does not encounter any X in 2, this is not a plot hole. The Metroids were designed to eat them, and kept the X’s population very low. There may have been a few stragglers hanging around that managed to infect the Mawkin Warrior when they came to aid the Thoha, but by the time of Metroid 2 the Metroids probably consumed all the X in their area. As for why they did not take any Metroids with them, as they initially came to the planet to help the Thoha, and likely did not know about the Metroids before coming, they probably did not have devices to contain or capture them.

We don’t know why Raven Beak has done a lot of things. Opening the door to the X containment area also seems counterproductive.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

The X can go through metal just fine, it's how they infected Samus even though she was wearing her Varia Suit, and there's also a big robot with an organic brain in Fusion that the X infect. There may however be a limit to how much metal they can go through, like radiation, and Elun did have a huge security system that scanned Samus when she first entered. It's likely that those scanners are all over Elun, and if an X got too close to the wall, it would get vaporized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't vaporise X. Only snacking on them stops them.