Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The anti-Italian slur that begins with a G is probably the one that is also an iconic Mario enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Tarkus posted:

lol, tell him to bring it, go to court. What a gross gently caress.

Is that harassment? It sounds like harassment

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Not only is he gross, but inventing debt and saying you'll forgive it for sex counts as solicitation of prostitution which pretty much invalidates any threats he could make of taking her to court since he was stupid enough to do it via text and the OP saved the screenshots.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

Can my ex husband sue me for money he says I owe him after divorce?

Tell me you fired your divorce lawyer without telling me you fired your divorce lawyer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know we don’t think of Italians as being of another race but maybe we shouldn’t play Guess the Slur regardless?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I know we don’t think of Italians as being of another race but maybe we shouldn’t play Guess the Slur regardless?

* does the ma che vuoi hand gesture at you aggressively *

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cumshitter posted:

Not only is he gross, but inventing debt and saying you'll forgive it for sex counts as solicitation of prostitution which pretty much invalidates any threats he could make of taking her to court.

Yeah, attempts to solicit his ex-wife aside, one of the purposes of divorce is to apportion assets and debts among the two parties, and unless she was concealing debt that impacted him (by taking out a credit card in his or both their names and running it up), no court will pay any attention and she should tell him to pound sand. (IANAL; don't take advice from me.) Or tell him to whack off, which would be more suitable for his demand for sex.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

a tesla SUV

I want to say this is a comedy post because there is no way that exists, but I know that would just inspire someone to post pictures of the tesla SUV and I don't want that.

oh you sweet summer child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0nUwmZhrc

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Gnoman posted:

The anti-Italian slur that begins with a G is probably the one that is also an iconic Mario enemy.

Or the name "Guido."

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Gorgonzola

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

i specifically requested the opposite of this :mad:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I didn't realize drippini was a slur.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

I didn't realize drippini was a slur.

Hey, ma!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hughlander posted:

Oh great, another case of an older dude creeping on a younger woman in the workplace thinking being nice is coming onto him...

Me [40 m] with my coworker/closer friend [29 f]. We're close, sometimes I think there's more other times I'm not so sure.

Uh... or maybe she's beating him over the head with signals...

UPDATE: Me [40 m] with my coworker/closer friend [29 f]. We're close, sometimes I think there's more other times I'm not so sure.

Tale as old as time... :allears:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

i specifically requested the opposite of this :mad:

but at least you get to watch it break

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
We used to call my little cousin Guapo and he would get pissed because he didn't know what it meant.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He should have felt honored to be named after a Marx brother.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

Italians are only technically white

This is because Americans are so insane about race that they can't comprehend discriminating against someone without reasoning they're actually black.

Other known groups of black Africans:
- Women
- Irishmen
- Gays
- Roma

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gnoman posted:

https://www.etymonline.com/word/guinea

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I met someone once when I was a kid who told me a bevvy of racist italian jokes and even as a child I was like "you must be the last american to give a poo poo about this, I can't wait till you die"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i grew up in 90s australia, everyone was too busy being racist towards greeks and lebanese to make enough racist italian jokes

mama mia

AITA - snapped on SIL over MLM

quote:

AITA Recently my (35F) SIL (26F) joined a MLM company (pyramid scheme). I looked at what she was selling and saw that it was all health supplements and stuff like that and is extremely overpriced ($80 for 15 servings of coffee that they claim makes you lose weight but if you join the loyalty club it’s only $45 ).

I let her know that since I am pregnant I will not be buying these products as they are not safe for the baby. Her response was that I could start stockpiling it now to lose the baby weight. I told her that since I will be breastfeeding that will not be happening either.

She then started trying to tell me that the stuff is fine to take when breastfeeding. This is where I may be at fault. I told her that my answer is no and that I will not take anything to risk making my baby sick. She then began telling I’m not being supportive and my baby doesn’t need to be breastfed and will be fine with formula. That is when I snapped and told her that unlike her, I care about my kids and their safety rather than getting high and overdosing while I’m alone with my kids. I then hung up on her.

I called my mom and told her what happened and she agreed with me. She agreed that when I said no she shouldn’t have kept pushing. Later however my brother called my mom and said I was out of line for bringing up her multiple overdosed and open CPS cases. Then he got mad when my mom said she would let be buying either as her doctor said not to with her health conditions. He is not talking to either of us saying that I influenced my mom to not buy either and we aren’t supporting her dream that will allow them to buy a house.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:laffo: Does the sister in law expect people to not mention all of that when she gives bad, selfish, unsolicited parenting advice?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My mom hates Italians because her lovely ex-husband was one so I've heard just about every slur for them that exists. :v:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for walking out of a coworker's D&D game?

quote:

I (20f) have been playing Dungeons & Dragons for a few years now with the same online group. We went on hiatus and I really missed playing so I started looking for another group. My coworker (22m) heard about this and invited me to join a game he just started. It was irl which I really wanted to try because I hear it's so much better irl than online so I enthusiastically said yes.

Well I showed up to play and the vibes were immediately off. I was the only girl at the table, and definitely the youngest (everyone else was 22-26). They questioned my character choice, saying the group really needed a healer but I had already chosen a different skillset. For anyone familiar with D&D or fantasy tropes in general, the single girl is ALWAYS the healer/mother figure which I wanted to avoid at all costs. After some debate, my coworker shut them down and let me play the character I wanted.

I should have walked out right then, but I stuck around to play two sessions. They. Were. Hell. Every choice I made in character was ignored or questioned, the other players’ characters flirted with and harassed my character in every interaction. They barely let me do anything in the game and fought over which character would be able to date mine. In the middle of the second session, one of them asked what my character’s bra size was. I stood up and said “nope. Not going to take this anymore. You guys have fun” and walked out.

Ever since then they’ve all been blowing up my phone saying I ruined their game, that I shouldn’t have walked out like that. I’ve blocked most of them because the messages started getting insulting. However, my coworker hasn’t really talked to me since and I feel like I should have tried to resolve the issue in a different way since I never told the group I was uncomfortable with character romance. AITA in this situation?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

Reminds me of the one where the OP is of Romani descent and the DM decides he's gonna run a Ravenloft game (maybe it was a module) where the main antagonist (maybe it was everyone) is super racist toward the obvious Roma standins of the setting.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Willow posted:

OP made the right decision but the Power Move would have been to play a grizzled old man, cigar-smoking, libertarian healer who refuses to restore a single HP without payment

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I’m a WASP who went to hs in a pretty Italian part of New Jersey, and also a native Chicagoan, so while I have the tact to not use anti-white slurs in mixed company I will forever relish the opportunities I have to say wop, dago (greasy or regular), guinea, guido, eye-tie, hunky, bohunk, polack, mick, cabbage-eater, kraut, frog, russki and whatever else my friends of the targeted (white!) ethnicity think is funny when we are drunk together and loving around. I in turn accept whatever they throw at me, and I’ll also take anti-me-in-particular slurs from my friends who are POC with no tit to their tat. Slurs against white people are just really really funny.

No anti-semitism, that’s not funny for anyone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I’m a WASP who went to hs in a pretty Italian part of New Jersey, and also a native Chicagoan, so while I have the tact to not use anti-white slurs in mixed company I will forever relish the opportunities I have to say wop, dago (greasy or regular), guinea, guido, eye-tie, hunky, bohunk, polack, mick, cabbage-eater, kraut, frog, russki and whatever else my friends of the targeted (white!) ethnicity think is funny when we are drunk together and loving around. I in turn accept whatever they throw at me, and I’ll also take anti-me-in-particular slurs from my friends who are POC with no tit to their tat. Slurs against white people are just really really funny.

No anti-semitism, that’s not funny for anyone.

So my mother tongue is Spanish, and in Spanish the word for Polish is "Polaco". Imagine my surprise when I realized, well into adulthood, that I had been accidentally using a slur for years (in English) because the Spanish word is closer to it than it is to Polish.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

So my mother tongue is Spanish, and in Spanish the word for Polish is "Polaco". Imagine my surprise when I realized, well into adulthood, that I had been accidentally using a slur for years (in English) because the Spanish word is closer to it than it is to Polish.

The polish word is also close to it than it is to polish, its honestly a really weird case that it became a slur in english.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's more of a "how it's used" slur than 100%, like Jew.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

quote:

She's a very conventionally attractive woman and she works in a modeling company.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm curious what this means since it wasn't phrased as "she's a model".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jLDZjMF3tk

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Evil Willow posted:

I remember an rpg where one of the girls threw a HUGE fit because your character could only be in a relationship with another if you two were in real life, so anyone whose char "made the moves on her man" was a homewrecker.

She was not very fun to play with. Still 100% better than two others (one was a DM from Hell, who literally moved the game around various worlds without warning, and was surprised when I was turned off by my character being moved back and forth in time when there was no indication of a loving time machine anywhere, and her chars were all 100% superpowered MarySues. And the other I think I have mentioned, who played EVERY CHAR other than my single one, refused to let me play anyone else, and got mad if I went 'off script.' As in she had already written up everything that she wanted to have happen, and if my char didn't follow, she would force the play to that point until my char eventually followed. My char wants to go to a bar? No, she doesn't feel like that, she wants my char to go on a quest, so she'd say the bar was closed, everything was closed, char HAD to go on this quest.)

AITA for yelling at my fiance's son?

quote:

I (20, he/they) live with my fiancé (60, he/she) and her son (19, he/him). Earlier, UPS delivered a package from Amazon Prime. The son immediately assumed it was for him, a package he had ordered. Without even bothering to check who it was addressed to, he opened it.

When I saw one of the items from my Amazon Christmas list sitting on a stool in the kitchen the next time I came into the house, I got angry and stormed into the living room asking how he justifies opening my Christmas presents.

He thinks I'm in the wrong for being upset. He insists he hasn't hurt anything by opening my package. I think he's in the wrong for opening a package that was not addressed to him and for spoiling my gift. I wasn't going to check what was in the package until Christmas because I knew it was a gift from my mother. I like my gifts to be surprises. AITA for yelling at him?

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for yelling at my fiance's son?
MOOOOOOOOM Timmy touched my stuff!! Make him stop!! Also when are we having sex?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cowslips Warren posted:

your character could only be in a relationship with another if you two were in real life,

excuse me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Uncle ShortyB posted:

An 8 month old is basically a cat that shits on itself

Hands down the best description of a baby ever.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling FIL to get out of our apartment even though he pays the rent and is on the lease

quote:

TA b/c FIL Reddits and I don't want to link to past posts

People: Me (27f) husband (24M) FIL(58M)

Relevant history: I met husband my 3rd year (his 1st) in college at Xmas party. We were just friends until that summer when we started dating. FIL rented an apartment for husband near campus for the summer and encouraged him to get a part time job and "make friends" and "live it up" since he will have the rest of his life to work. By the end of the summer, I had moved in with husband.

The next year I graduated but did not get into the grad program I wanted so I got a part time job (we didn't need money b/c our only expenses were internet and groceries and FIL gave husband 2 grand each month). Another year went by and I quit my job b/c it sucked. During that year (husband's 3rd year) FIL came to see him unknown to me. FIL told him that he didn't think our relationship was healthy (WTF?) and that I was isolating him. Of course husband told me right away, but I didn't say anything at the time. After that husband and I started having issues and he seemed to be distancing himself from me and asking me if I ever thought about what my future would be like (again WTF?).

Then pandemic happened at the end of husband's 4th year. He had a zoom graduation party (with both our parents and his siblings, etc) during which I proposed to him. A few days later, FIL shows up and sits us both down and says he doesn't object to our relationship but there was "no reason" to get married and to wait a few years and see what happens now that we are both out of college. I got angry and told him to leave which he did.

I got pregnant shortly after FIL's "intervention" and we moved in with husband's parents so once the baby was born his mom could watch our son while we looked for jobs. FIL had converted the basement (which used to be an inlaw suite) into his entertainment room, but I wanted the extra privacy, so we moved in there. Baby was born and everyone was happy.

Over this past summer, I noticed that FIL was not home much during the weekends. Turns out, he had kept the lease on our apartment and had moved his big TV and a lazy boy to the apartment (we had put our stuff in storage) and went there to relax on the weekends. I was livid. I grabbed my husband and went to confront him. I demanded he get out of our apartment and told him he was never welcome there again. I was yelling and the neighbors came to see what was going on and my husband got embarrassed so we just left. My husband of course agrees with me. FIL definitely thinks I am AH and told husband to think long and hard about his future which led to me cussing FIL out. So, AITA or is FIL for butting into our lives and trying to control us through money.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling FIL to get out of our apartment even though he pays the rent and is on the lease

“I have the chillest FIL that basically bankrolls my entire life. Better do everything I can to piss him off!”

FIL needs to terminate the lease on the apartment and use the money to buy a spine.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel the shape of a brilliant pun in here, something about being committed to your partner until they're cold in the ground and the dude being ice cold, or maybe something about the relationship being one loose end he tied up? Someone please figure it out because it's killing me.

He's getting his affairs in order.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just absolute projection in that last line with how she's telling FIL how to spend his/her future money. She's going to bully FIL into leaving his son a spendthrift trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tarkus posted:

lol, tell him to bring it, go to court. What a gross gently caress.
Go to court and get a restraining order.