Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was at Target and all they had was that weird Stratos. Either I showed up after you, or more likely, nobody wants Stratos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Venom

His weapons are huge (ML for scale)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Now after seeing Dune, it's going to be so weird going into Target and seeing their pile of 20 Baron Harkonnens and being like, oh yeah I know who that guy is now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Now after seeing Dune, it's going to be so weird going into Target and seeing their pile of 20 Baron Harkonnens and being like, oh yeah I know who that guy is now

Yeah Dune changes your perceptions about a lot of things.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Crosspostin'

My pre-order for the Acro 'Kaiju Remix' series Imitation Ultraman came :woop:

This series was designed by the late Yasushi Nirasawa as his vision for modern horror versions of the various Ultraman Kaiju and this latest one hits it out of the park. The Alien Zarab disguised as Ultraman to make humanity turn against him. This sculpt is pretty amazing and it's also larger than I expected it to be (15" tall!)

The top of the box hints at something that apparently some people have found and it's pretty wild.

Apparently they sculpted a Zarab-like face onto this horror. But people have found that you CAN remove the mask but it has been glued onto place, so it apparently takes effort that can potentially damage the figure, so I'm a bit bummed because I don't want to risk it. Here's a photo of the maskless figure that a collector in Japan got to.

Edit: apparently PostImages is having problems today, sorry if some of these aren't showing up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's loving wild

Holy poo poo

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That Zarab is super rad.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's both awesome and creepy as gently caress.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

That looks pretty slick! Fun easter egg on the mask reveal, but what a weird choice to glue it down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All the tricks to remove glue from things don't work when the item's plastic either.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I remember way back in the day the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Jason had a gnarled face under the mask, but they decided to glue it on for whatever reason. It wasn't hard to remove, but if I recall correctly there was a big ugly peg hole in the face for the mask so it was kinda pointless to take it off.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Star Wars: Zorii Bliss for $0.01 at Gamestop. It might go well with my Cosmic Legions next year.

https://www.gamestop.com/collectibl...ure/208881.html

edit: Sold out now

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 10, 2021

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Joe Fisto posted:

I remember way back in the day the McFarlane Movie Maniacs Jason had a gnarled face under the mask, but they decided to glue it on for whatever reason. It wasn't hard to remove, but if I recall correctly there was a big ugly peg hole in the face for the mask so it was kinda pointless to take it off.

I have that Jason and mine wasn't glued on. It annoyingly kept falling off to the point where it has now been lost. So I have gnarled faced Jason vs Freddy vs Edward Scissorhands

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I got some stickers up for sale I think the users in here would find cool over at SA-Mart. Got some other stuff based on Metal Gear Solid and Simpsons too.

It glows in the dark....

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I have that Jason and mine wasn't glued on. It annoyingly kept falling off to the point where it has now been lost. So I have gnarled faced Jason vs Freddy vs Edward Scissorhands

There must’ve been different versions. Mine was definitely glued on. I remember the spawn.com forum (rip) discussions about the best way to take it off and why would Daddy Todd do this to us.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Joe Fisto posted:

There must’ve been different versions. Mine was definitely glued on. I remember the spawn.com forum (rip) discussions about the best way to take it off and why would Daddy Todd do this to us.

Apparently the reason they glued the hockey mask into place was because it would fall off in the packaging.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I never owned that one before, but as I have the mezco super huge Part 7 staction from that era, I've gotta ask

How was the mask even attached normally? While most of my NECA Jasons are from this era more or less, their masks all work the same as the Mezco. I don't get how the mask could just fall off

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

All the tricks to remove glue from things don't work when the item's plastic either.

One of the collectors I follow said he put the figure in near boiling water for close to an hour to work the mask off.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Decided to do a little out of town hunting, and I think I did pretty well.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Any collectors in the UK able to recommend a good 6inch scale figure stand?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Burkion posted:

So I never owned that one before, but as I have the mezco super huge Part 7 staction from that era, I've gotta ask

How was the mask even attached normally? While most of my NECA Jasons are from this era more or less, their masks all work the same as the Mezco. I don't get how the mask could just fall off

While I didn't have the McFarlane Jason, for what I understand the mask was held in place with minuscule pegs that slid on the face. It wasn't like the mask was sculpted as a separate piece with the straps like the NECA versions. The straps were sculpted as part of the figure's head, and the mask was a separate piece. But the pegs didn't provide enough grip to keep the mask in place during shipping, so McFarlane decided it was better to just glue the mask in place, instead of every figure on the shelf being maskless while the mask rattled about loosely in the blister packaging.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

While I didn't have the McFarlane Jason, for what I understand the mask was held in place with minuscule pegs that slid on the face. It wasn't like the mask was sculpted as a separate piece with the straps like the NECA versions. The straps were sculpted as part of the figure's head, and the mask was a separate piece. But the pegs didn't provide enough grip to keep the mask in place during shipping, so McFarlane decided it was better to just glue the mask in place, instead of every figure on the shelf being maskless while the mask rattled about loosely in the blister packaging.

Jesus Christ

I guess that was still in the early days where they were figuring poo poo out but man that seems like an easy miss

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Burkion posted:

Jesus Christ

I guess that was still in the early days where they were figuring poo poo out but man that seems like an easy miss

It was super-early McFarlane, so "easy miss" is a good way to describe it.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Well, that explains it then. Mine was a small peg that was supposed to hold on, but apparently just like the ones in the packages it just kept falling off. I saw on ebay that there was also a movie maniac jason vs freddy, but I got them separately when they first came out.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

It was super-early McFarlane, so "easy miss" is a good way to describe it.

Released way back in 1998

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's crazy how long ago Movie Maniacs started. One of my recent small projects that I finished up was a repaint of my old McFarlane Toys 'The Crow' figure (series 2, 1999), which I'm not sure is worth sharing because it's only marginally better than the original paint job.

The thing with that figure is that, years ago, my old fat jerk of a cat (may he rest in peace) chewed off three of his fingers. A while ago I carefully resculpted the missing fingers with some good epoxy putty, but matching the paint job seemed like a pain so I decided I would just fully repaint the dude. I also puttied over the bird-holes in his shoulder because the bird that came with him is kind of cheesy and I just like the figure on its own. That's actually still my favorite Eric Draven figure released by anybody... It's not the most realistic, by a long shot, but I really like the stylized sculpt. I feel like it evokes the mood of the film really well. Nice simple display piece.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Joe Fisto posted:

Decided to do a little out of town hunting, and I think I did pretty well.

Dang, Big Lots got the Eternian Guard, but BBTS hasn't? Guess I'll be hitting up BIg Lots on the way home then...

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Shiftypenguin posted:

Dang, Big Lots got the Eternian Guard, but BBTS hasn't? Guess I'll be hitting up BIg Lots on the way home then...

It felt nice to cancel that BBTS order that wasn’t due to ship until December. Big Lots is cheaper and no shipping costs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have a small collection of Tokidoki Unicornos that I haven't been posting because I didn't think most of them would be interesting to anyone else. However last night I got one that is a Super Saiyan

MechaOctobot
Jan 3, 2014

Shiroc posted:

I have a small collection of Tokidoki Unicornos that I haven't been posting because I didn't think most of them would be interesting to anyone else. However last night I got one that is a Super Saiyan

Cool unicorn! If you are looking to share more of your collection there is always the sofubi thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981786

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

MechaOctobot posted:

Cool unicorn! If you are looking to share more of your collection there is always the sofubi thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981786

Maybe I will. They're not actually sofubi but fit in the spirit of them.

On other personal Super Saiyan toy news, my BBTS preorders for Bad Goku and SS3 Goku arrived. Trawling for preorders to be momentarily available worked. They still have Bad (Rose) Goku for $40 now if people are trying to get that one at a modest premium https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/153513

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Finished another custom job! I started this one years ago but it got set aside for a long time. I was able to wrap it up over the past couple weeks. A big overhaul of an old Judge Dredd action figure from 1999, made by ReAction and bought dirt cheap at KB Toys.

At some point a couple years back, I saw pictures of some fancy high-end collector's figure of Dredd that looked really great, but it cost like $250. I thought, with a little love, I could make that cheap old toy I already have look just about that good... and save myself $250. The original toy had a head sculpt only a mother could love, but the details from the neck down were pretty accurate to the comic books.

First of all, I sculpted a new head from scratch; it's made from Sculpey. I also strategically added new articulation to make him more poseable: a double ball joint at the neck and bicep swivel cuts. I accomplished this with a drill, bamboo skewers and epoxy sculpting putty (brand: Gale Force Nine).

I also puttied over the pegs that held many of his joints together, sanded down mold lines and that kind of thing, generally prettied up the already-decent sculpt. I carved away quite a bit of excess plastic around the elbow and knee joints to improve the range of motion. I made his boots a little taller, removed and resculpted his boot holster (making it non-functional, but... why would Judge Dredd of all people be displayed with his gun holstered?) and also replacing a bulky removeable knife on the other side with some little boot pouches, all trying to match the comics art a little better.

His display base is an off-the-shelf Neca action figure stand with some quick hand-sculpted rubble on top; I bulked out a couple spots with cardboard and used Apoxie Sculpt putty on top for the details.

Finally, he's all repainted with good model paints; Vallejo, Testor, and Citadel brands mostly. Not sure how well it comes across in the photos, but his bodysuit is not black, it's a deep and rather rich navy blue. Also, the gold parts are a very shiny metallic gold, but I feel like they look yellow on camera.

All in all this isn't the fanciest thing I ever made but I think it turned out well, and I have enjoyed sharing the stuff I have done lately.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
More excellent work, NoP. The bodysuit deffo looks black in your pics but I prefer it, especially compared to the original version, goes really nicely with the gold.

He totally needs an Anderson, Hershey, and Dark Judges tho, so get cracking and see you again sometime in 2028.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

i guess bbts can't get rid of these special color Goku Black Rosés because it's only 40 bucks. honestly i think it's really pretty but i already have the original and can't think of a reason to buy another so i guess i get why it's not selling. but i know there's a fairly new-to-Gokus collector in here so maybe it's for you:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/153513

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Today from 11am-5pm EST live, Four Horsemen studios will be revealing their next Mythic Legions wave: "Poxxus". I'm hoping we finally get wizards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08WF1vMvgcw

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

JoeGlassJAw posted:

i guess bbts can't get rid of these special color Goku Black Rosés because it's only 40 bucks. honestly i think it's really pretty but i already have the original and can't think of a reason to buy another so i guess i get why it's not selling. but i know there's a fairly new-to-Gokus collector in here so maybe it's for you:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/153513

I may be 100% wrong here so if anyone knows better please correct me.

My understanding is that Figuarts releases new / updated sculpts of old characters with limited accessories at a cheaper price-point and they essentially serve the dual purpose of getting old figs into peoples hands / act as a gateway drug for the higher price-point releases.

I was recently looking at Kamen Rider figs and they seem to also follow this model.

Grant DaNasty posted:

Today from 11am-5pm EST live, Four Horsemen studios will be revealing their next Mythic Legions wave: "Poxxus". I'm hoping we finally get wizards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08WF1vMvgcw
Thanks for the heads up! For some reason I was thinking this was tomorrow. Now I've got background entertainment while I'm working!!!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I may be 100% wrong here so if anyone knows better please correct me.

My understanding is that Figuarts releases new / updated sculpts of old characters with limited accessories at a cheaper price-point and they essentially serve the dual purpose of getting old figs into peoples hands / act as a gateway drug for the higher price-point releases.

ah youre right i had this mixed up with the sdcc release. this one doesn't appear to include the ki sword thing or the power up effect

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Only two Mythic reveals in, but we have a wizard!

gregday
May 23, 2003

Oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1459198267061846016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO WITH MY HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: :slick: