Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Kunster posted:

(Also thank you so much FunHater for talking about Pat Finnerty, I've never added someone to my youtube feed so quickly.)

honestly huge thank you to the person who posted him here in the first place. extremely pro rec

Kamrat posted:

I'm not a fan of his channel but I wouldn't call him creepy and/or evil. That's quite mean and harsh, why would you say such a thing?

due to his evil nature

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like there's a lot of arguing past people in this discussion rather than addressing specific points. To me, a lot of this discussion is looking back on the comic and discussing how it could have been done more effectively in hindsight. I think the comic itself was effective at the time it came out but would have had more longevity if, as Nuns with Guns suggested, they'd used something like a clown instead of a sea lion. That's not to say the comic is bad or harmful, just that we can look back on it and speculate how it could be improved as a learning experience.

i asked someone on twitter how they would have fixed the metaphor and received literally the worst attempt to punch up a joke i've ever seen in my life. my theory is its completely fine and this is entirely a problem of audience perceptions being warped by one idiot with a youtube channel who can't read and the army of sycophants that follow them who refuse to process information on their own

fun hater fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

fun hater posted:

due to his evil nature

THANK you

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrianWilly posted:

Hmph. I was hoping I could live out the entire rest of my life without ever finding out what NFTs are, but...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

endocriminologist posted:

i do not like quintons videos he has creepy vibes to me tbh. hes evil or something

He's a manifestation of your personal malaise. This conversation is a hallucination and he only exists in your mind.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

fun hater posted:

i asked someone on twitter how they would have fixed the metaphor and received literally the worst attempt to punch up a joke i've ever seen in my life. my theory is its completely fine and this is entirely a problem of audience perceptions being warped by one idiot with a youtube channel who can't read and the army of sycophants that follow them who refuse to process information on their own

If it were a sea lion jumping in to defend kelp it would be a fine illustration of the type of person, having the thing in dispute be the arguing party's entire species is the stumbling point

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

fun hater posted:

publicly revealing that your friend is even less funny than the sealion comic guy is just cruel

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

publicly revealing that your friend is even less funny than the sealion comic guy is just cruel

i know you're sustaining brain damage from reading this thread and making it known to everyone every other post but i dont know the unfunny bitch in question

I Before E posted:

If it were a sea lion jumping in to defend kelp it would be a fine illustration of the type of person, having the thing in dispute be the arguing party's entire species is the stumbling point

its literally "i hate men" and a man reacting to the statement. thats the conceit

fun hater fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 10, 2021

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
obvious mistake to assume you had a friend

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I can't believe all these chuds kramering in to calm hitler the sealioning

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

obvious mistake to assume you had a friend

grrrowl! this kitten has claws!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ok but has the sealion made a two hour "apology" video yet :v:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
sea lions are cool though. besmirching their name is the original sin of that comic. why didn't the author use like seagulls or some other equally annoying sea creature

fun hater
May 24, 2009

sea lions smell hella bad and for that they must pay

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay but do any animals even smell good in the first place? I thought that was half the reason why pet shampoo existed in the first place.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dog paws smell like doritos, which may be a plus or a minus.

This phenomena is also known as frito feet

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like there's a lot of arguing past people in this discussion rather than addressing specific points. To me, a lot of this discussion is looking back on the comic and discussing how it could have been done more effectively in hindsight. I think the comic itself was effective at the time it came out but would have had more longevity if, as Nuns with Guns suggested, they'd used something like a clown instead of a sea lion. That's not to say the comic is bad or harmful, just that we can look back on it and speculate how it could be improved as a learning experience.

There is no way this could have been expressed without an obtuse take by the people it's aimed at with faux hand-wringing about it being problematic because *insert purposely bad reading here*...

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

imagine a sealion kramer on the edge of a cliff

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Famethrowa posted:

imagine a sealion kramer on the edge of a cliff

The sealion kramer lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Feels like nothingburger needs to be worked in there somehow

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Dog paws smell like doritos, which may be a plus or a minus.

This phenomena is also known as frito feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KZWqKOsHps

sleepy savory dog smell

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's a manifestation of your personal malaise. This conversation is a hallucination and he only exists in your mind.

Quinton is a goon. (Not saying he has an account here)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I guess companies on youtube got mad about their ads/trailers being downvoted, so Youtube just decided to remove the dislike count https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOuG8jMIgI

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I guess companies on youtube got mad about their ads/trailers being downvoted, so Youtube just decided to remove the dislike count https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOuG8jMIgI

lol

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

endocriminologist posted:

i do not like quintons videos he has creepy vibes to me tbh. hes evil or something

hbomberguy seems sweaty and unwholesome and I can't get through one of his vids

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ussCHoQttyQ

:rip:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

IShallRiseAgain posted:

can't believe viewers gamed the system designed to gamify engagement.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The more hosed up and troubled a YouTuber looks the better their content is, that's just the law

This is not simply a physical sense of being hosed up and troubled, Tim Rogers always has an air of being existentially unsettled and it's his secret sauce

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Decidedly not feeling neutral about this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah yes, the "you made me be a nazi by telling me it's wrong" argument.

Which also flies in the face of what has been established after nearly a century - nazism can be best discouraged by smashing any such movement apart at the earliest point of detection, with brutality and violence if needed. Like, do these people believe that the Battle of Cable Street was won when the antifa heroes of 1930s London had a polite discussion about the fascism with Oswald Mosely and his merry band of nazi shitheads?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
why does your brain automatically go to the most extreme case (naziism) when looking at that pbf comic

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

End of an era.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah yes, the "you made me be a nazi by telling me it's wrong" argument.
But is that what it's saying? Is that what the author intended?

fun hater posted:

i would know that it is not written by a anyone right of center because i have eyes and a functioning brain

like straight up, its not that complex or difficult to understand.
But how do you know that, presuming you know nothing about the author or when it was made or in what context it was made? Presuming it's just an image posted on twitter or the forums, alone?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

there's literally only one group of people who talks like that when offended

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The United States posted:

But how do you know that, presuming you know nothing about the author or when it was made or in what context it was made? Presuming it's just an image posted on twitter or the forums, alone?
it'd be hard to not know when it was made.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

i'm more online than i should be and i didn't know when it was made; and with the context i still think it's loving stupid and lame

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Bonaventure posted:

why does your brain automatically go to the most extreme case (naziism) when looking at that pbf comic
Because this is the internet. Everything is the most extreme case.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bonaventure posted:

i'm more online than i should be and i didn't know when it was made; and with the context i still think it's loving stupid and lame
it literally has "©2014" written on it. you need only to use your eyes on the image.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
and 2014 automatically means GamerGate to you?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it means i know when it was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pachylad posted:

Big Joel is dishing out Sea Lion discourse (and may or may not be sea lioning himself?)

https://mobile.twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1457952432063975425

https://mobile.twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1457980744735891458

My own half-baked takes at the moment: it gave us a great term/concept but the comic is incredibly flawed, and only grows moreso the more we are removed from its initial Gamergate context.

Ghostlight posted:

Ghostlight posted:

it literally has "©2014" written on it. you need only to use your eyes on the image.

:confused:

fun hater posted:

there's literally only one group of people who talks like that when offended
https://mobile.twitter.com/zorangecats/status/1454819630040584202

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 11, 2021