Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

An interstate in Toledo was shut down for 3 days last week to repair the damage to an underpass made by a truck with a raised bed.

A major state route an hour north in Michigan was shut down for two weeks two months ago, same situation.

Really surprising these trucks don't have a raised bed alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GORDON posted:

An interstate in Toledo was shut down for 3 days last week to repair the damage to an underpass made by a truck with a raised bed.

A major state route an hour north in Michigan was shut down for two weeks two months ago, same situation.

So what happens as far as paying for this poo poo? Does the state bill the trucking company?

Because being on the hook for the damage caused by your raised bed might incentivize people to put something like that in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what happens as far as paying for this poo poo? Does the state bill the trucking company?

Because being on the hook for the damage caused by your raised bed might incentivize people to put something like that in.

They will go after the driver/driver's insurance.

Years ago my sister got into a minor fender bender and two months later the city sent her a $7,000 bill for a light pole that got knocked down two blocks away on the same day. Took a while to sort that out and get them to recognize the error, but municipalities definitely go after drivers for this stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They will go after the driver/driver's insurance.

Years ago my sister got into a minor fender bender and two months later the city sent her a $7,000 bill for a light pole that got knocked down two blocks away on the same day. Took a while to sort that out and get them to recognize the error, but municipalities definitely go after drivers for this stuff.

So if it's a dude driving a dumptruck on company time and company insurance they go after that?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

I have questions.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Xaintrailles posted:

I have questions.

i too want to know how someone could come up with something so awesome and yet so simple

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I used to work for a company that sold big rear end LCD TVs when they were a new thing. We'd bundle them with tempered glass TV stands.

The TV stands exploded spontaneously way more than you'd think. Like a person is watching TV in their living room and then the table explodes. No one touched it. It's like they were just waiting for explody time.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
A friend's oven door did the same, they walked into their kitchen one morning and their oven door had decided to explode overnight.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What I've read is that tempered glass can develop micro fractures over time that eventually spread on their own and when they meet up just right the whole thing goes splodey.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Azathoth posted:

i too want to know how someone could come up with something so awesome and yet so simple

One brave soul begged the question; Why can't my lawnmower handle head height grass?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What I've read is that tempered glass can develop micro fractures over time that eventually spread on their own and when they meet up just right the whole thing goes splodey.

The 'glass expert' should have said this in Squid Game

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nenonen posted:

The 'glass expert' should have said this in Squid Game

The translations were bad in that show. Turns out he was actually an rear end expert.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Kenning posted:

What's up fellow Devil's Slide-driving goon. Remember last year when an SUV ramped off the cliff and was caught on a dash cam jumping into the great beyond?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py2I3ZeOs1A&t=5s

Also a week ago somebody went off into the water and managed to get out of the vehicle and start climbing up the cliff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s40zfcZ1wzs

The firefighters eventually came and pulled him out.

This is such a preposterous stretch of highway, even once the actual Devil's Slide was bypassed by the Tom Lantos Tunnels. God help you if your steering or braking fails along that stretch of winding cliffs that don't have barriers most of the way. Importantly, the cliffs in this region basically represent the continental shelf, so the water in some places is like 30+ feet deep right at the base of the cliffs. There are always like, bumpers and license plates washing ashore from people who went off the cliff and weren't even known to be missing.

Counterpoint: A few weeks ago I drove the PCH from Cambria to Monterey and that drive is amazing.

I did actually wonder how many cars went off it every year, but couldn't find any figures.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Uhhh, sorry bout that.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Whomst among us,

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm concerned that's in the dog food isle...

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Depends on what your dog eats

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bajaha posted:

Even Morally Inept has gotta shop...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mostlygray posted:

I used to work for a company that sold big rear end LCD TVs when they were a new thing. We'd bundle them with tempered glass TV stands.

The TV stands exploded spontaneously way more than you'd think. Like a person is watching TV in their living room and then the table explodes. No one touched it. It's like they were just waiting for explody time.

We had that happen to a phone. Under a week old, and very gently handled. We came in from the cold (around freezing, I think), put the phone on a table, and put the mail on top of it - just a few sheets of folded paper. A few minutes later it goes *pop* and the screen is very broken.

And no, LG did not believe us. I can't say I blame them.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bajaha posted:

At least it's next to the "Adult Dog" food.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GORDON posted:

What, you mean the thing I taped over because it constantly goes off even when the bed isn't up? I don't need no sissy alarm, I'm a real truck fuckler.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seen at a truck stop. It’s a small fire in the wheel well of a semi truck…you could say it was semi on-fire? :dadjoke:

(Cue frantic knocking on the drivers window, they came out with a fire extinguisher and that was the end of it as far as I knew)

Found this driving down the road a few weeks back. Don’t think wheels are supposed to look that way 🤔🤔🤔🤔

(It’s a gif, not sure if it embedded properly)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ehh, get a retread on that one, it’ll be fine.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Icon Of Sin posted:

(It’s a gif, not sure if it embedded properly)

Here you go:
https://i.imgur.com/kL5LIKw.mp4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Good example that dual tires are often for the road, not the trailer.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

If it's an inner and the trailer's empty it's pretty common for them to be driven to a shop instead of waiting hours for a road call.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

mobby_6kl posted:

The leaning tower of Пизда?

лмфао

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Uhhh, sorry bout that.

https://twitter.com/FloofSparky/status/1458110132345266180?s=20

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Uhhh, sorry bout that.

Paging user big cummers ONLY to the OSHA thread.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Somebody been taking too many zinc supplements?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Uhhh, sorry bout that.
Someone took Lowtax's death a bit too hard

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Grouchio posted:

:awesome:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cartoon Man posted:

Uhhh, sorry bout that.

When you turn the corner and see

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Sorry for the border

https://i.imgur.com/VVB8OFl.mp4

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Should be in the Blessed thread

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Grouchio posted:

Makes sense that this is how I find out.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

this was the piece on which the entire operation hinged

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He misunderstood his uncle’s advice to “get your foot in the door”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Not going to happen to him...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isYF5E0WxGU